Sign in to follow this  
Erictpaladin

Buying Abyssal Lord?

Was wondering if we could get the Abyssal Lord any other way then Defender Medals? I got a crap ton of gems I have not use I would love to spend for him or heck if he a few bucks that work for me as well.

@Erictpaladin quote:

Was wondering if we could get the Abyssal Lord any other way then Defender Medals? I got a crap ton of gems I have not use I would love to spend for him or heck if he a few bucks that work for me as well.

Yes gems will be a way to get him without the grind.  I "think" the price on it was revealed during the last dev stream.  Might be worth a glance to see if it falls in line with the gems you have amassed.

Yeah, I fully intend to buy the abyss lord, as I'd like to use my defender medals for his equivalent of build spheres. Steam community market is nice because I can sell inventory items from other games, buy the DLC packs for discounted gems, which will allow me to buy the abyss lord when he comes out.

@gigazelle quote:

Yeah, I fully intend to buy the abyss lord, as I'd like to use my defender medals for his equivalent of build spheres. Steam community market is nice because I can sell inventory items from other games, buy the DLC packs for discounted gems, which will allow me to buy the abyss lord when he comes out.

Cool.Abyss lord is why Im going back to the game, and buying it will be the only way since I dont have enough ingame currency,will ahve to use realz moneyz

not really excited about the new hero , think ill save my medals and gems for a truly exciting hero like the gun witch. lavamancer or barb. before all that i need trendy to get back to about the ticket i sent them; cant play the this game at all lol

@Erictpaladin quote:

Yeah watch part of the stream and they said he 1,500 gems. I just buy him Tuesday then.

are you serious $15 dollars wtf are they going bankrupt ...... maybe im spoiled by robocraft where 45 usd buys me tons of stuff including 400+ days of premium lol not to mention the 3 giveaways in the last few months

I got close to 5,000 gems just sitting there friend :) I had it from when They offered $30 prealpha on steam. I did it to support Trendy. I have not use a single one of those gems yet so Once I saw the video for Abyssal lord I knew I had to get him. I probaly do the same for EV2 when she comes out next

@Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz quote:

@Erictpaladin quote:

Yeah watch part of the stream and they said he 1,500 gems. I just buy him Tuesday then.

are you serious $15 dollars wtf are they going bankrupt ...... maybe im spoiled by robocraft where 45 usd buys me tons of stuff including 400+ days of premium lol not to mention the 3 giveaways in the last few months

Take a look at CS GO, LOL, COD ... the list is endless ... 15 dollars is cheap compared to what you get for 15 bucks in those games.

lol i dont play any of these games this is not cheap compared to any other free game i play ..... in apb i have like 1000 usd of stuff from offers in war thunder i got like $15 of credits for download apps for a hour and in robocraft i have tons of cosmetics and had over a year and a half of premium for like 45 usd

I'll see how it pans out and what sort of promotion comes on the 5th for the Abyss Lord, whichever provides the best value in my opinion I'll go for, but I have already decided on getting it on day 1.

Clearly you are not familiar with the micropayment economy.  Mounts in WoW cost 20 monetary units each.   Star Wars: The Old Republic occasionally has single-use dyes for 20 monetary units.  Armour effect packs in Path of Exile (equivalent to DD2's costumes) go for more than 40 monetary units.  All of these are purely visual.  Compared to them 15 monetary units for a new character class is entirely reasonable.

The fact that there are other games which have higher prices, doesn't make this one acceptably cheap.

Well if all the players currently playing buy the Abyss Lord for 15$ that's still only a between 25 and 30 grand to keep Trendy going.

It's not even a round of drinks, seems cheap enough to me.

@Nefhith quote:

Totally free to pay. A well disguised pay to win.

Though technically not in any way/shape/form since you can also earn him for free using defender medals, I am concerned that a lot of people are going to perceive it in this way. The only people who will get to play as him for the first month are going to be people who paid for him, and if he's required to beat certain content, that's starting to resemble a little bit of P2W (more like pay-to-win-first).

It's also a concern that his builds are also behind defender medals, meaning that people who don't spend gems are even further behind those who do pay real money. This will be the first time where there's a genuine demographic gap of paying supporters vs. non-paying gamers, and I'm very apprehensive as to what that will do to the community and game as a whole.

Also, people that don't play well over 6 hours a day won't be able to play him in a month at all, but in two or even three months.

well i assume they will have like 20 heroes 16x15 seems like a high number to me..... so it seems your about $200 short Jester_Forum_icon2.png

Or you buy the first hero and save your defender medals for the next, then save the next months for the one after that...etc. Buying the first puts you ahead of the curve by about a months grind, the same timeframe as the devs estimated time it will take to earn a hero.

We're going to closely watch the data and the feedback on unlocking the Abyss Lord. We really want heroes to be a rewarding goal to work toward for free players. It's possible that we won't get it exactly right on the first try. 

Also, I was trying to find a good GIF about data analysis, but this is what I found:

turkey-dance.gif

@Nefhith quote:

Also, people that don't play well over 6 hours a day won't be able to play him in a month at all, but in two or even three months.

How much does he cost in medals anyway?  Based on the information on the landing page it should be possible to get around 5000-6000 medals by playing just an hour or two per day for a month.  Higher amount of playtime will increase medal gains very slowly due to the fact that most of the medals come from daily and monthly missions.

As for the real money cost: consider that subscription-based games typically cost 10-15 monetary units per month and may have one or two major content updates per year.  I would also expect that as more heroes are released for DD2, there will eventually be packs that contain multiple heroes for a discounted price.

@tdb quote:

Clearly you are not familiar with the micropayment economy.  Mounts in WoW cost 20 monetary units each.   Star Wars: The Old Republic occasionally has single-use dyes for 20 monetary units.  Armour effect packs in Path of Exile (equivalent to DD2's costumes) go for more than 40 monetary units.  All of these are purely visual.  Compared to them 15 monetary units for a new character class is entirely reasonable.

Except you just compared cosmetics to a whole new hero.

Also, that things are ridiculous in some areas does not mean it makes this okay.

@BestProfileName quote:

Except you just compared cosmetics to a whole new hero.

Not sure what you're trying to get here. If he was stating that those cosmetics cost less than a hero class, then yes you should call him out on it, but he's saying the opposite - that all those 20-40 bucks are for extremely specific items that have limited uses or time restricted, whereas here it's 15 bucks for an entirely new character class that sticks around forever. Seems reasonable to me.

$15 might seem a tad bit high for a new character, but it's nowhere near the "THIS IS RIDICULOUS TE IS GREEDY MONEY GRUBBING SCHEME MANIPULATION POLITICS COMMUNISM!!!!!" that people are making it out to be. $10 would probably be a better price since some people are clearly lacking the funds (and patience).