Sign in to follow this  
Callum11

Hero Concept. (Just for fun) *Alchemist*

Update Log

Changed Zipper Zapper to Plasma Arc changing its mechanics and element. Its Mad Science sphere has also been altered along with Combustion.

Refined descriptions.

New:

• Added Tower weakness/strength description.
  • Added some clarification to Alchemist's description.
  • Increased description for Gooperblooper.
  • Removed Kaboom to make room for standard heal, reducing his combat effectiveness but still keeping his defensive strength.
  • Further formatting.

Still to come!

• Stats for the towers (Range, damage, cost, ect)
  • Stats for Abilities.
  • Description for the Plasma element and its interactions.
  • Character Lore
  • Ability Ubers
  • Potential Perks

This is just a hero concept that i spent a little time conceiving, ultimately hoping that it gives the devs ideas about possible future heroes and towers.

The Alchemist is a supportive hero that would want to avoid direct combat, but would hold down the fort while the others go deal with a problem. His kit encourages strategic and cooperative play styles. His basic attacks are him throwing potions that deal small-moderate splash damage, these attacks are terrible at long range but quite effective from high or protective ground(back-line). However Alchemist will struggle to fight units solo or out in the open. His main problem will be air control. Since his basic attacks won't travel as far and arc, they will struggle to hit a target in the air and because all his towers deal with ground more effectively, air units will be the bane of his existence.wyvern.pngSo by lacking effectiveness alone, he really goes well with others. Is he a core builder like the Squire? I would say no. Although I would say he'll be more on the line of a supportive-core hybrid builder.

Towers

Noxious Spire: A tower that sprays a constant flow of corrosive gas in a frontal cone that deals small amount of damage quickly to any enemy and increasing the damage it takes from other towers.

Weakness: With a low damage output this tower will struggle against heavies that can tank the damage or fast units that can quickly run past it before it starts spraying.

Strength:Because of its fast attack and damage rate, smaller units will either be killed or severely weakened by this tower.

Not very viable by themselves, however these placed in the right areas will bolster any defense and making tough enemies easier to put down while also helping with the little more numerous foes.

Gooperblooper: A cannon that fires a ball of sticky goo at an enemy rooting the target and the surrounding mobs preventing them from moving or attacking for a short duration.

There isn't many towers in the game that provide crowd control aside from the geyser trap and the mage towers (with spheres). This will be very useful in choke points were line of sight is limited.

Weakness: Slow attack rate makes it not as effective at ranges like the Frost tower and is unable to target air.

Strength:Large Aoe allows it to affect a lot of units at the same time while dealing heavier crowd control.

(Strange name I know but it suits the mad scientist quite well)

Plasma Arc: A strong tower that charges a beam of Ionized Plasma and releases it on to one enemy dealing heavy damage over time as it melts the poor foe into oblivion.

This will be the main source of his damage. Paired with the Noxious spire it can do a surprising amount of damage. The only draw back is its slow charge time and single target strike. Small units stand no chance, however larger ones will suffer.

Weakness: The beam will not have sufficient time to charge up on an fast enemy. Small units die quickly enough, but tend to 'waste' the towers time that it could use to charge up on Orcs or Darkins (or whatever they're called).

Strength: With a fairly large range, a heavy unit targeted by this tower will not survive long enough to get to the front.

Manatron: A unique tower that doesn't attack enemies, but instead provides extra green mana at the end of waves, like another chest. However useless to a defense by itself, it can provide that extra mana to strengthen a defense.

A strange tower, that could potential let the team down, or really provide what it needs. Very useful on maps were you really need that extra mana to make repairs or upgrades allowing for easier comebacks from a broken defense.

Weakness: Doesn't attack enemies.

Strength: Provides extra utility.

Abilities

With really strong utility abilities, Alchemist is a welcome to the battlefield. With high mana costs though, using the right ability at the right time will be crucial.

Reinforce: Using chemical compounds, the Alchemist buffs a tower giving it more hp and damage resistance. Lasts 1 wave.

This is one of his useful defensive abilities. However at a high cost, using on a barrier or exposed tower, can make the difference between a win and a lose.

Chaos Potion: Alchemist throws a potion that causes enemies to enrage and attack surrounding mobs. However a small radius, thrown at the right area will release a ton of pressure off that lane, even if the effect lasts seconds. If used on an ally (or himself) the potion will increase attack speed greatly for a few seconds.

A powerful support buff or a dangerous weapon. How you utilize it is up to you.

Makeshift: Alchemist quickly makes a fast firing cannon with low hp and limited life.

Used either as added firepower or as a last resort defense measure, this will sure to come in handy in many situations.

Standard Heal

You know what that does

Ubers

Repair Pillar(manatron): Instead of generating mana it instead repairs a near by structure individually (prioritizes barriers) for as long as it has energy (like monk)

Certainly useful for holding down a line while you personally tend to another front.

Goo Blaster(Gooperblooper): The Goo Blaster fires at a single target slowing it down permanently.

More useful at the spawns, this can server as an excellent wave divider, so that a defense is not overwhelmed by numbers

Spheres

Combustion: Small chance for the Noxious Spire's gas flow to ionize and turn into super heated plasma that burns enemies for considerably more magic damage.

More dps in-case the team needs it.

Mad Science: The Plasma Arc has a chance to overload dealing a huge amount of damage to the target, however stopping the continuous beam and causing an increased charge time for a short duration.

Great for really strong enemies that just won't go down..

Sticky residue: Gooperblooper has a chance to slow down the attack speed of affected enemies for a moderate duration.

Further crowd control never hurt anyone

Mana flow: Provides a stream of blue mana to a nearby hero

For those mana hungry casters who need a top up.

So that's basically the concept. Just something i like doing, if you were able to read all of that jibber jabber im impressed. Hope you liked the concept!

Plz leave a comment (good or bad) as that will help me curve the design of this hero. Express your thoughtsdjinn_icon_hard.png

Got a hero concept of your own? Feel free to post in the comments below and I'll be sure to check it out and comment.

Did you like this? I made another one if you're interested!

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/132791/hero-concept-just-for-fun-the-hydrolisk

@Callum11 quote:

Looking back that's a lot of writing. Who the heck is gonna read that?!

No not at all dude! I found it very interesting, I like the idea of the support archetype for a hero, similar in name(as in support.) to the monk but completely different in playstyles. Very cool!

One thing to add maybe would adding numbers/scaling on towers or percentages.

Insert shameless character idea post here= Kobold Lord Character Idea <--

Insert shameless weapon idea post here= Solarion, Blessed Blade of Eternia. <--- You could also make a weapon idea post :D

As of writing it seems a bit like a mix of a Monk and a Abyss Lord. Quite interesting. I like the idea of the gems and mana. Although I do prefer the tactical approach of the gems, I do sometimes run out of mana and are unable to gather the blue diamonds from the lanes since i'm on NM4 and *** is just going ham. The option to enrage the enemies and make them fight each other could really come in in handy for that specific situation.

Overall the ability to turn the mobs against each other or turn them around seems like a fun addition. Right now it's a matter of quick killing or slowing them down. The extra addition of reverting a stream or enraging them appeals me. 

Other abilities regarding lightning and fire seem a bit too standard to me. Maybe a change of element or effect would be better (like a Wind Element or Fire causes resistance to drop instead of doing direct damage. That would balance out my favorite pet, Dragonlich). 

Good job on the hero I must say, some real creativity.

Cheers!

P.S. the combustion sphere is not in bold and underlined ;) Just a detail

@KK(>^.^)> SJ quote:

One thing to add maybe would adding numbers/scaling on towers or percentages.

Yeah i was thinking of something like that, although didn't feel the need to, because its just a concept, but i can understand that having numbers, scales and percentages helps give the tower and abilities context to where it fits in power and balance wise.

@Herman de Schermman quote:

As of writing it seems a bit like a mix of a Monk and a Abyss Lord. Quite interesting. I like the idea of the gems and mana. Although I do prefer the tactical approach of the gems, I do sometimes run out of mana and are unable to gather the blue diamonds from the lanes since i'm on NM4 and *** is just going ham. The option to enrage the enemies and make them fight each other could really come in in handy for that specific situation.

Overall the ability to turn the mobs against each other or turn them around seems like a fun addition. Right now it's a matter of quick killing or slowing them down. The extra addition of reverting a stream or enraging them appeals me. 

Other abilities regarding lightning and fire seem a bit too standard to me. Maybe a change of element or effect would be better (like a Wind Element or Fire causes resistance to drop instead of doing direct damage. That would balance out my favorite pet, Dragonlich). 

Good job on the hero I must say, some real creativity.

Cheers!

P.S. the combustion sphere is not in bold and underlined ;) Just a detail

Thanks for the reply!!! Yeah I also thought that the lightning and fire element was a bit bland, but its easier to conceptualize with mechanics that work in-game that i can observe, I'll make an edit to it when an idea pops into my head that fits the same role, because one thing i noticed is that the Zipper Zapper is basically the Uber sphere for the monk's electric aura. Also funny you should mention that the fire should make the resistance drop, because that was the original idea in the draft, however i later learned that resistances will be removed or changed, so i likewise changed my idea.(P.S. Thanks for pointing out that editing detail that i missed. Also as im writing this i had an idea for the fire and electric element.

I *really* like the idea of a single-target beam tower that does more damage over time as it channels its effect. That sounds like so much fun to just fry Ogres with.

@TheWittyScamp quote:

I *really* like the idea of a single-target beam tower that does more damage over time as it channels its effect. That sounds like so much fun to just fry Ogres with.

Indeed. I can't decide weather to make it channel on a single target in its area, or it applies a powerful damage over time with the plasma, but i guess the huntress already has that, so i guess have to edit it a bit to verify that more. Thanks for replying, means alot!

@Callum11 quote:

Also funny you should mention that the fire should make the resistance drop, because that was the original idea in the draft, however i later learned that resistances will be removed or changed, so i likewise changed my idea.

Hmm yea the resistance is gonna be removed, forgot about that. Burning damage would be more logical. 
I'll be following this thread

@Herman de Schermman quote:

@Callum11 quote:

Also funny you should mention that the fire should make the resistance drop, because that was the original idea in the draft, however i later learned that resistances will be removed or changed, so i likewise changed my idea.

Hmm yea the resistance is gonna be removed, forgot about that. Burning damage would be more logical. 
I'll be following this thread

Much Appreciated! If you're referring to combustion using the fire element being more logical i would agree, but for the sake of being different and using the plasma element twice.