Sign in to follow this  
TinyBearr

Will current Wyvern Tokens be converted to Defender Medals?

So as I understand it, wyvern tokens are being replaced by the new "defender medals". Will they be converted to the equivalent amount of medals, or should we be spending them before the update comes out?

So they are used for the same purpose? But throws months of grinding in the trash? If you've put a fair bit of time into the game then you won't have anything left to buy with tokens. 

This kinda sucks if i wont be able to get them anymore. Atm im farming for the betsy pet. Even tho i might not even use it on my dps hero's. Its still something i wanna have for my collection. But i got a feeling that im not gonna get enough wyvern tokens before the patchs comes out. currently i have 126 wyvern tokens. You guys think i can make it doing every daily untill the patch? or do i need to start all over again?

Well the patch is coming in April, but no mention of exactly which date in April AFAIK. I think you may be short on tokens for Itsy Betsy.

@Prowner quote:

This kinda sucks if i wont be able to get them anymore. Atm im farming for the betsy pet. Even tho i might not even use it on my dps hero's. Its still something i wanna have for my collection. But i got a feeling that im not gonna get enough wyvern tokens before the patchs comes out. currently i have 126 wyvern tokens. You guys think i can make it doing every daily untill the patch? or do i need to start all over again?

I didn't think about this. I have 137 right now. I can get the rest from onslaught if I just leave it on. I imagine they will also allow you to buy Betsy with defender medals though.

The patch is on April 5th

@Prowner quote:

iam pretty sure you still can buy the betsy pet after the update. so dont feel the pressure to much. (make that sense in english?)

yeah it sucks, but it would be hard to balance the price of a new hero, when every old player have enough tokens

What if the medal vendor had an option to purchase wyvern tokens?  That way players could top up their tokens to buy what they are after, but would still have to farm medals for the new stuff.  Could even automate the conversion by making the wyvern token vendor take medals as well, but spend tokens first.

In fact, why not just ditch the wyvern token vendor altogether but make the medal vendor take wyvern tokens for the items that were available before?  If wyvern tokens run out or there are none to begin with, he'll take medals for the remaining balance.

@tdb quote:

What if the medal vendor had an option to purchase wyvern tokens?  That way players could top up their tokens to buy what they are after, but would still have to farm medals for the new stuff.  Could even automate the conversion by making the wyvern token vendor take medals as well, but spend tokens first.

In fact, why not just ditch the wyvern token vendor altogether but make the medal vendor take wyvern tokens for the items that were available before?  If wyvern tokens run out or there are none to begin with, he'll take medals for the remaining balance.

its obv easier to just let the old vendor ingame and introducea a new one.

because it would be hard to balance that. "nearly one year of farmed tokens versus new players"

its easier to run out a currency then invent a exchange rate.

Since the new vendor sells the old items as well, there is going to be an exchange rate.  Suppose a Betsy egg will cost 240 medals at the new vendor.  That would mean an exchange rate of 3 wyvern tokens to 4 medals.  Now imagine someone who wanted the egg but only got 142 wyvern tokens before the change.  If there's no mixed-currency purchases, they'll have to farm 240 medals from scratch; their existing tokens are useless as far as purchasing the egg goes because there's not enough of them.  With my suggestion though, they could pay the remaining balance of 38 wyvern tokens with 51 medals instead.  Obviously this would only be available for old items; new items would require the full price to be paid in medals, so as to avoid veteran players having an unfair advantage.

Wouldn't necessarily call it an unfair advantage as it was earned through legitimate means by playing the game as intended.  Just because someone started sooner than you is in no means a reason to claim it's unfair.

But as far as medals are concerned, I still hold the belief that tokens were a really unimpressive system that was left to decay instead of getting the robustness it needed.  I honestly believe tokens should've gotten a total facelift in the form of these new medals without creating a whole new currency all together and phasing out an old that will loom in players inventories for ages to come.  Let those "veteran" players keep there few hundred tokens because all in all, they are essentially worthless soon.  And crying out unfair advantage is laughable because it will likely translate out to them being able to afford a grand total of ONE sphere before you.

Refer to last dev stream btw... there are some medal prices for a few spheres they showed off if you want some proof to the statements made in this post.  These prices aren't conversion rate, they are clearly balanced around the new robustness of the medal system itself.  This means there is no conversion.  I stand by what I said about just totally updating tokens entirely without any form of conversion or compensation.  Those with a wad can't do much with it other than knowing they can still save up and use them rather than let them collect dust in their inventory.

Well, if they made it possible to exchange, people with a lot of wyvern tokens would just get the hero for free, instead of buying it ;)

At least thats the way I would think from a moneymakers standpoint :P

@tdb quote:

Since the new vendor sells the old items as well, there is going to be an exchange rate.  Suppose a Betsy egg will cost 240 medals at the new vendor.  That would mean an exchange rate of 3 wyvern tokens to 4 medals.  Now imagine someone who wanted the egg but only got 142 wyvern tokens before the change.  If there's no mixed-currency purchases, they'll have to farm 240 medals from scratch; their existing tokens are useless as far as purchasing the egg goes because there's not enough of them.  With my suggestion though, they could pay the remaining balance of 38 wyvern tokens with 51 medals instead.  Obviously this would only be available for old items; new items would require the full price to be paid in medals, so as to avoid veteran players having an unfair advantage.

yeah god forbid a veteran didnt get screwed over in a game i have only 16 tokens but if i was a player who had hundreds and i didnt get enough medals to unlock the new hero in exchange i would stop playing wait no i did that already like 6 weeks ago :D

how can you call it a unfair advantage all these medals are is a direct replacement for tokens

@TinyBearr quote:

So as I understand it, wyvern tokens are being replaced by the new "defender medals". Will they be converted to the equivalent amount of medals, or should we be spending them before the update comes out?

i liked your post because its a really good question and i also feel they should have an exchange rate im sure the devs have at least thought about this but it would be nice to see the full patch notes for the update ive waited over 8 weeks for so far kobold.png pretty sure it comes on the 6th so we will know one way or another in 4 days.....

@Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz quote:

yeah god forbid a veteran didnt get screwed over in a game i have only 16 tokens but if i was a player who had hundreds and i didnt get enough medals to unlock the new hero in exchange i would stop playing wait no i did that already like 6 weeks ago :D

how can you call it a unfair advantage all these medals are is a direct replacement for tokens

I have 300+ wyvern tokens.  I'm not about to stop playing the game because of the change; in fact I'm going to come back after being on a break since December.  Enough new stuff is finally happening to get me interested again.

I don't feel like I'm getting "screwed over" either.  Based on the information I've seen my existing wyvern tokens are still valid for the things they always were, i.e. ubers, lockbox keys and betsy eggs.  I'm probably going to buy the remaining interesting ubers I'm missing and then burn the rest on keys.  Or I might get another betsy egg to have both dps and builder variants of the pet.

I must say I'm pretty sad sitting at 120 tokens without being able to buy any spheres with tokens anymore :(

@Axieoqu quote:

I must say I'm pretty sad sitting at 120 tokens without being able to buy any spheres with tokens anymore :(

there is a 2nd vendor at the ship that sells his stuff for tokens