Sign in to follow this  
senzation54

Seriously Trendy, how hard can it be?

I just left a negative review on Steam as part of the process of leaving this game after having played it for like 4 days, and I went to take a look at other reviews for the game. All the "Most helpful" reviews are negative and they're all floating around 80% helpful votes. 4 out of 5 people agree that your game is garbage. Let that sink in for a bit.

You guys have(had?) a goldmine on your hands. The original Dungeon Defenders was amazing. It had some of the best gameplay I've experienced in a long time, and despite some flaws like crappy inventory management and the mana cap it was an awesome game with amazing artwork. Creating a successful sequel should have been the easiest task in the world. Just take the same concept, add new maps and some lore, avoid making the same mistakes from the first one and sure, add some new things. 

Some of these things you did fine with. The artwork in the game for one, looks AMAZING. This game looks so amazingly beautiful, kudos to all you graphics designers. Give yourselves a pat on the back, you're awesome. The towers in and of themselves are fine as well. Pretty much all of them have unique and cool concepts, however they're horribly unbalanced and it seems you don't care. 

The game is still allegedly in Early Access, yet you ignore obvious well-known and seemingly easy-to-fix bugs like hero swap merging two heroes together in favor of developing new crap for your broken game. This whole Early Access thing is a blatant lie on your part, you're merely using it as an excuse. "Hey everyone, come pay for all our crap! Never mind the bugs and crappy gameplay, we're in Early Access, it's expected! Here, we made some new crap you have to pay for!"

The worst part is it has so much potential. This game could be amazing and you're driving it into the ground like I've never seen before. It really saddens me, I would love to spend countless hours grinding for gear and throwing some money your way for the trouble but not like this. If you some day start prioritizing the actual gameplay and making things make sense I might come around but I'm not exactly holding my breath. Good luck to you. 

I have brought this up countless times.

They had the winning formula with DD1 and they threw it all away. All they had to do was keep what worked and people loved in DD1 then build from it.

Player base has dwindled because they went in an opposite direction and only now are they getting back on track with how the game should of been. No limitations with who you can build with and actually have some sort of strategy.

What do you know it's starting to feel abit more like Dungeon Defenders again.

They have a way to go still, proper match making and a Nightmare mode that isn't confused what it should be has to be the next priority after the strategic revamp.

At least Challenges are confrimed to be returning.

@senzation54 quote:

I just left a negative review on Steam as part of the process of leaving this game after having played it for like 4 days, and I went to take a look at other reviews for the game. All the "Most helpful" reviews are negative and they're all floating around 80% helpful votes. 4 out of 5 people agree that your game is garbage. Let that sink in for a bit.

Ive seen people who are bad at math, and then there is you. The game has 80% positive reviews on steam. so its obv that 4 from 5 player LIKE the game. You should take a deeper look at the steam review system.

Edit: And if you mean that a upvote to a negativ review means, that guy who upvoted thinks the game is garbage. then you are wrong. a good writen and fair negativ review with pros and cons, will get an upvote from me. and yes i like the game.

@Nelly quote:

Ive seen people who are bad at math, and then there is you. The game has 80% positive reviews on steam. so its obv that 4 from 5 player LIKE the game. You should take a deeper look at the steam review system.

Edit: And if you mean that a upvote to a negativ review means, that guy who upvoted thinks the game is garbage. then you are wrong. a good writen and fair negativ review with pros and cons, will get an upvote from me. and yes i like the game.

You got it right in the edit, I was talking about the upvotes/downvotes on the reviews, not the actual amounts of reviews. I'm not sure if there was a point to that part of my post, if there was I'll gladly concede that it was probably a bad one. I just looked at the reviews which popped up first, it wasn't intended to be a thorough statistical analysis of DD2's steam reviews. 

It doesn't even matter, you can ignore that part of my post if you want because it really doesn't have anything to do with the issue I'm addressing.

A ridiculous amount of steam reviews are people with less than 10 hours in game and a lame ass "its fun" comment and that's hardly a review at all. 

What does matter, at least in my opinion, is the reviews that are recent, have been updated, and people have thought they were helpful or not. I've not once considered a game, and only looked at the amount of positive reviews. 

Because let's be honest, most are ***.

And to reiterate: I hope the upcoming changes helps the game out. I want it to succeed, and to do well, which is why I'm still here. I just hope that things improve past what it has been (because let's be honest, the game has been in a very bad spot for a while now, and I'm glad to see things changing. 

I couldn't really tell much at all about the strategic revamp.. getting rid of flyer lanes, is interesting and adding them to lanes I do like, and such and the concept is good, I just hope the towers/changes are more interesting than they showed, because they seemed like their boring selves in the devstream (but I'm not blind to the fact that it was a super early preview, either.)

As KNL says, they have finally ... after quite a long time in development ... started moving the game in the right direction. I would have hearted the OP prior to the most recent Devstream (yesterday), but my outlook on the game is actually positive ... and I haven't been a happy camper for a while.

The jury is still out, but I think Trendy has what it takes to make a sequel worthy of DD1.

@senzation54 quote:

The game is still allegedly in Early Access, yet you ignore obvious well-known and seemingly easy-to-fix bugs like hero swap merging two heroes together in favor of developing new crap for your broken game. 

This is a known bug, but it's ridiculously difficult to reproduce 100% from what QA tells me. It happens when you swap heroes, but we aren't able to make it happen 100%, and when you can't make the issue happen all of the time, it can lead you on a wild goose chase of finding out what's causing it. Right now, other issues like server disconnects and blackscreens are taking a higher priority, but it's on our list to fix. 

@iamisom quote:

@senzation54 quote:

The game is still allegedly in Early Access, yet you ignore obvious well-known and seemingly easy-to-fix bugs like hero swap merging two heroes together in favor of developing new crap for your broken game. 

This is a known bug, but it's ridiculously difficult to reproduce 100% from what QA tells me. It happens when you swap heroes, but we aren't able to make it happen 100%, and when you can't make the issue happen all of the time, it can lead you on a wild goose chase of finding out what's causing it. Right now, other issues like server disconnects and blackscreens are taking a higher priority, but it's on our list to fix. 

I have to agree to this, As a programmer, If you can't reproduce a bug consistently enough it can become quite hard to pinpoint what is causing it, Which means it's harder to fix.

While it can be a simple one line of code that's messing things up, and is probably going to take 2 seconds to fix that, It's all about which one of those hundred of thousands of lines to poke :)

EDIT: I do agree howsoever that when you claim you are early access but you're charging(ish, Let's face it 4 bags or whatever suck.) people to play your game, You should act according to that.
An updated known issues list would be lovely, I can't post bugs because I have to think of stuff like "Oh this bug is pretty common for me, It must have been reported already.." Please give that known issues thread some love!
I guess a bit more transparency would be nice.

Use net limiter and you will be able to reproduce a few bugs maybe even some you are unaware of. most of these issues are reproducd through poor connections and doing things at speeds I wouldn't recommend using this type of program in the official game if your afraid to lose all your characters I wouldnt do this in a tavern where someone may start a game.

To the original poster:

To begin with, im not here to defend trendy, they dont need my help at all.

I am a hardcore player, I played this game like 664 hours and DD1 almost the same amount of hours too, ive been in DD2 before the first wipe out and came back with all my heroes, items, ladies gone.

You wanna leave this game after 4 days play? ok "gg wp" go ahead, i understand some people cant play long games, but from that to say that this game is "garbage", *** off dude, you know how much work is needed to develope a game? and of course theyre going to add more stuff because the problem with early acces is that people are alredy playing the game, you need to give them more content, no matter how many bugs you got, you gotta do both things at the same time. Im not a fanboy of trendy or DD2, i left the game coz it was boring when 25 was the max lvl and the endgame was so easy, i couldnt give a s*** if their game fail, and i paid for early acces + veteran, but they worked hard and made more content, more difficulties, etc. Nowadays i find the game very funny, but i play more games than DD2. 

Your attitude pisses me off, and i prefer that people like you dont play with me. This is a FREE (FREE [FREE]){FREE;} to play game, if they add NEW content they cant give it for free, and still you have access to it by...how?...well...PLAYING THE DAMN GAME!  as far as I know trendy never asked u to buy any cosmetic or cosmetic pet.

If youre so good at game design, dude, create your own DD2 version, call it Daddy's Dungeon 2 or whatever u want, and play it, but come here with that attitude? no man.

You dont like the game? k, but dont throw bullsht on people that works on this for a living, you love DD1? go and play dd1 dont come to dd2 forums asking for a DD1 expansion, or play any other TD/DD game, you only missed to ask for a refund omg! goodbye, no hugs, no tears, thank you for the time you spent with us, hope to never see you again, death kisses.

PD: REFUUUUUUUUUND!!!

@Malaka quote:

*lots of stuff*

FYI I have more hours in DD1 than you have in both games combined. I have 114 hours in DD2, roughly half of which was accumulated this week iirc. The rest was back when max level was 25. I am currently capable of doing NM2 with 3 heroes at 50. I don't say that to brag, I'm saying it because you seem to think I'm some new player as opposed to you being "hardcore". I'm not. 

I own DD1 with all DLCs on two separate steam accounts, as well as Eternity which I never really played. I also paid for access to DD2. I didn't get anything for free. 

I am not making this post to harass Trendy, I am making it to let them know what I think of the game and the direction it's heading. If I don't let Trendy know that I don't appreciate the direction they're taking the game I can't very well expect them to change anything now can I? 

As an aside I might have unintentionally been a bit more crass than I should have, for that I am sorry, however I stand by it even though it was written in a very annoyed state. 

@iamisom quote:

Thank you for taking the time to reply and clarify, I'm not a programmer by a long shot and even though I know a bit about programming it's entirely possible that I've made unreasonable assumptions about how these things work under the hood leading to the assumption that it should be an easy fix. Knowing you're working on it is great, I hope you get it fixed soon because it's incredibly infuriating when I'm trying to rebuild quickly between harbinger waves and the bug happens three times in a row. Especially when it happens on the last second swap, leaving me playing an ability-less mutation of a hero through the wave.

I heard some talk about enabling swapping heroes during waves, perhaps they'll be able to sort it while working on that? Would seem like a logical time to address the issue. 

@senzation54 quote:

@Malaka quote:

*lots of stuff*

FYI I have more hours in DD1 than you have in both games combined. I have 114 hours in DD2, roughly half of which was accumulated this week iirc. The rest was back when max level was 25. I am currently capable of doing NM2 with 3 heroes at 50. I don't say that to brag, I'm saying it because you seem to think I'm some new player as opposed to you being "hardcore". I'm not. 

I own DD1 with all DLCs on two separate steam accounts, as well as Eternity which I never really played. I also paid for access to DD2. I didn't get anything for free. 

I am not making this post to harass Trendy, I am making it to let them know what I think of the game and the direction it's heading. If I don't let Trendy know that I don't appreciate the direction they're taking the game I can't very well expect them to change anything now can I? 

As an aside I might have unintentionally been a bit more crass than I should have, for that I am sorry, however I stand by it even though it was written in a very annoyed state. 

@iamisom quote:

Thank you for taking the time to reply and clarify, I'm not a programmer by a long shot and even though I know a bit about programming it's entirely possible that I've made unreasonable assumptions about how these things work under the hood leading to the assumption that it should be an easy fix. Knowing you're working on it is great, I hope you get it fixed soon because it's incredibly infuriating when I'm trying to rebuild quickly between harbinger waves and the bug happens three times in a row. Especially when it happens on the last second swap, leaving me playing an ability-less mutation of a hero through the wave.

I heard some talk about enabling swapping heroes during waves, perhaps they'll be able to sort it while working on that? Would seem like a logical time to address the issue. 

fwiw I have thoroughly enjoyed your open-mindedness and intellectual honesty and find some agreement with some of your remarks. 

Whilst I continue to play the game and most likely enjoy it more than you do , I am certainly concerned about the direction TE is taking this game. In my view, DD2 is their last chance to do well by the community. I imagine most people - such as myself - are treating this as the last chance Trendy has to not mess something up.

(btw the endless dlc for DD1 actually made me stop playing the game. I am not spending 100 pounds on a game that should cost 50 pounds max.)

original poster is totally correct. the game can't hold a candle to it's prequel. 

from mob problems, loot being scarce, loot being crap, pets suck, spheres suck, ubers suck doubly so, and there's such a meta of frostboost traptress that the game aint fun. and i have over 200 hours from the beginning.

@In.Session quote:

Use net limiter and you will be able to reproduce a few bugs maybe even some you are unaware of. most of these issues are reproducd through poor connections and doing things at speeds I wouldn't recommend using this type of program in the official game if your afraid to lose all your characters I wouldnt do this in a tavern where someone may start a game.

Yep yep.  This is honestly what I think is causing the above complaint about hero merging.  Connection related silliness at it's finest.  As for using it on live yourself goes, please dear god please don't.  Let QA handle the fancy pants stuff.

Making a video game is actually _very_ challenging- It's a unique blend of creativity, teamwork, and production that requires a great degree of patience and risk. It's why I really enjoy my job!

@senzation54 quote:

It confuses me when someone with 100+ hours played votes a game "not recommended".. granted Steam's voting system is lacking, someone spent at least 100 hours playing it, and then decided:  "nah. it's not a good game. " wtf? 

This game has plenty of potential.  It has it's flaws (yes plenty of flaws....  look at my post history).... but they seem to be addressing them (albeit slowly.. Hero Deck ahem... ***ing finally).  

I think at the end of the day this will be a worthy successor to DD1.

Since we are quoting credentials...  I got well over 1k hours in both DD1 and DD2 (and 400 or so in DDE)...   and I am also a programmer...  though I don't think enterprise development applies to game programming at all. 

In the end, there is a lot to get annoyed about the game currently.  There is still a lot to be fixed.  But at it's core this game (for me at least) is fun to grind out and I truly believe they have recently started to turn in the right direction to make this game a success.

Stuff with Steam Votes, or Reviews in our time is, they are mostly used and written as a tool to either "punish" a game or to "advertise" it. This behaviour actually can destroy even a good game or a game in development, sadly that's the trendy for the current game generation. You can see that on various webplatforms where people vote games for 1/5 just because of a simple bug or even because they want other to play a different game. This vote doesn't actually displays the game quallity at all. 

DD2 got rather lucky with their reviews and their recent changes probably took a part in it. It was a work towards the start of the game and to keep the new players abit more interested. Which is a good sign at last =).

while i like this game and ill wait for the next 2 patches to give it a review (or change mine as its possitive now but filled with cons) the want for money is very apparent to a point its close to being forced this alone ensures i wont spend money in a game

i bought the vip pack in a game i was very sure will die because well it was a good game and i could see it right away now i log in and see less than 10 players online and dont regret my 20 usd i spent on it 

but this game not so much at least being able to unlock heroes with medals is a great start but there needs to be inventory involved in this also because this feels very close to them trying to force sales.......

@Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz quote:

while i like this game and ill wait for the next 2 patches to give it a review (or change mine as its possitive now but filled with cons) the want for money is very apparent to a point its close to being forced this alone ensures i wont spend money in a game

i bought the vip pack in a game i was very sure will die because well it was a good game and i could see it right away now i log in and see less than 10 players online and dont regret my 20 usd i spent on it 

but this game not so much at least being able to unlock heroes with medals is a great start but there needs to be inventory involved in this also because this feels very close to them trying to force sales.......

Ofcourse they are trying to force sales... it's a f2p game they probably don't get many individual gem sales from pc players I have no idea how ps4 works. the "DLC" Content is probably how they make all there cash even tho its really expensive you get "Value for money" especially if you get it on sale and then use the "on sale currency" to buy ingame on sale items when they go on sale.

Sale.

@In.Session quote:

Ofcourse they are trying to force sales... it's a f2p game they probably don't get many individual gem sales from pc players I have no idea how ps4 works. the "DLC" Content is probably how they make all there cash even tho its really expensive you get "Value for money" especially if you get it on sale and then use the "on sale currency" to buy ingame on sale items when they go on sale.

Sale.

Oh baby talk frugal to me.

Has anyone made an a thread where everyone can list the problems with DD2?  A thread not driven by DEVS but purely from the players perspective.  

It would be good to see a purely technical list, with no ***ing about the bugs or problems.  Just a pure list.  And not what we think how it should be fixed but as it is right now.

Does this exist already or can we start one?

@senzation54 quote:

@Malaka quote:

*lots of stuff*

FYI I have more hours in DD1 than you have in both games combined. I have 114 hours in DD2, roughly half of which was accumulated this week iirc.

You are really bad at math lol. he has 600h in DD1 and 670h in DD2. and 740 is ofcourse less then ~1200

@iAndy quote:

@senzation54 quote:

It confuses me when someone with 100+ hours played votes a game "not recommended".. granted Steam's voting system is lacking, someone spent at least 100 hours playing it, and then decided:  "nah. it's not a good game. " wtf? 

Just a guess of mine, but I think (since this is Early Access) there is a minority of people who are actively looking for bugs they can report to help the developers and try out progress etc. This takes time. If the conclusions is that the game is not recommendable at the moment I think this will lead to such a review of a person with 100+ hours.

In my personal opinion a negative review of somebody with 100 hours of ingame time is more interesting than a negative review of somebody with 1 hours ingame time.

@Nelly quote:

You are really bad at math lol. he has 600h in DD1 and 670h in DD2. and 740 is ofcourse less then ~1200

@senzation54 quote:

I own DD1 with all DLCs on two separate steam accounts

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198042417734/

You are really bad at reading comprehension. 

That's twice now you've tried to be pedantic about pointless crap and you've been wrong both times, how about next time you just assume you're wrong and go do something productive?