Sign in to follow this  
Gunghoe

Wonder if the competition will energize trendy.

@Tristaris quote:

Orcs must die unchained, most likely, is what the OP is referring to.

Isn't that already out, basically?  I just made an account to check it out (not very interested) and instantly got into the "closed" beta.

Not to mention that it seems like a wildly different genre...

@Shinnyshin quote:

@Tristaris quote:

Orcs must die unchained, most likely, is what the OP is referring to.

Isn't that already out, basically?  I just made an account to check it out (not very interested) and instantly got into the "closed" beta.

Going into open beta, and to steam on the 29th - it is officially moving out of closed beta atm. 

The two are essentially labeled as tower defense, OMD:U has a moba aspect game mode, as well as survival which is closer to the classic OMD 1 & 2. 

Edit: But like I mentioned, they aren't wildly different at all, different, sure.. but at the core it's a tower defense.

I'm not sure why there has to be huge amounts of competition because I'll be playing both, albeit OMD:U holds my attention a bit more at the moment, and we'll find out how the strategic revamp goes for DD2, and if it can sway me one way or the other. But both are free to play, so...

@Tristaris quote:

@Shinnyshin quote:

Going into open beta, and to steam on the 29th - it is officially moving out of closed beta atm. 

The two are essentially labeled as tower defense, OMD:U has a moba aspect game mode, as well as survival which is closer to the classic OMD 1 & 2. 

Edit: But like I mentioned, they aren't wildly different at all, different, sure.. but at the core it's a tower defense.

I'm not sure why there has to be huge amounts of competition because I'll be playing both, albeit OMD:U holds my attention a bit more at the moment, and we'll find out how the strategic revamp goes for DD2, and if it can sway me one way or the other. But both are free to play, so...

I mean...at a glance, this game has ME3 progression welded to a MOBA (with PvE bot options) and endless wave defense.  Which contrasts pretty heavily with both OMD1/2 (essentially action puzzle tower defenses) and DD2, a shoot-'n-loot co-op MMO TD.

Yes, they're both tower defenses with action elements--technically the same genre.  But, like Super Smash Bros vs Mortal Combat, the details--the subgenre--seems rather different.  It also looks wildly uninspiring to me, but that could just be the fact that their game info page is heavily tilted in favor of the MOBA aspects of the game and I'd probably rather pull overtime rather than play a MOBA.

If the game's non-MOBA aspects are great, though, I'd love to be surprised.

Orcs must die and DD have coexisted through multiple iterations... they are not similar enough to be competitors in my humble opinion. The two games play quite differently even if they are in the same genre.

Well, in my personal opinion, the games are too different to compete with eachother really. Personally I don't really like orcs must die, but I love dungeon defenders, im sure people think the opposite way too. 

I have the games, ive played the games, both games are in dungeons, but its more like a tower defence vs a trap defence, which makes for two completely different playstyles.

I haven't played Orcs must die long enough to make up an opinion. All I can say is that I got to play Orcs must die 2 and did not like it while I liked DD1, liked DDE (at least a bit) and I'm looking forward to the future DD2.

Well, tacked on to the fact that both are free to play, as well as.. while the two are at the core tower defense, the two play completely different from one another. I don't see there being any real competition, but I love both of the games. OMD wins for just how damned fun it feels to annihilate hordes of orcs. DD wins for appealing to my RPG side of things.

I do think the two could learn a thing or two from each other, regardless. I'll play both, and be happy.Adept.png

Ugh I had access to OMDU beta and never got around to playing it. But sure as hell I'll be jumping in when it comes out - I had a great time with both OMD and OMD2, and from what I've seen in developement emails, OMDU is packed full with new content and mechanics, while conserving the core of the game. Me likey.

@Tristaris quote:

OMD wins for just how damned fun it feels to annihilate hordes of orcs. 

3 things contribute to that factor: 

1. Character dialogue, especially from the idiot war mage
  2. Satisfying and rewarding combos that actually have a huge impact on the overall score and progress
  3. Towers and weapons that are fun to use YET don't blind you (I'm looking at you, DD2 excessive weapon and tower effects!)

I would like to see DD2 go the route of combos, and making things feel a little more gratifying. Right now you have drenched, and lightning, and frozen + shatter and... that's about it that feels like it packs a punch. Everything else it's like meh, whatever why bother?

I'm not saying OMD doesn't have its faults, and agree they are their own separate games, but I still feel like there are things that could improve DD2 (combo system improved, towers that are a little more fun, as they are quite boring at the moment, etc.)

But this is all my opinion. A person can dream right? lol. 

And [[87069,users]] - hit me up on steam if you pick it up today when it comes out (I think someone said if everything goes okay, should be by 12-1 PM EST.) Could be some good times.