Sign in to follow this  
AshaMarie

Will the changes help Non-Paying Players?

I have stopped playing this game while back and didn't want to come back because of how my old gears were useless from all the updates.  I thought about coming back but read on the hero deck changes upcoming.  I recall free players only have 4 character slots because rest are locked behind pay wall.  Will the update make them feel useless or have they made it possible to purchase character slots without paying?

We can't say for certain until the update comes. Whether the game is balanced around the guy with a hero specialized for each defense, or the guy who can scrape together what they can with 4 heroes, hasn't been said.

Imo, the hero pay wall is good for TE.  They need revenue source outside of skins (because skins cost too much).  And it's already been stated buying a New hero (ie Abyss Lord for example and future heroes) will grant a hero slot.  Casual players outside of a New hero they might like will only get a few more slots as they typically rely on friends and teamwork, not solo play.  The vast amount of players who bought into TE will more than likely view it as nickel and dime support for TE.  

I'm on ps4 myself so game isn't free for us atm, and yet I still have 13 characters (10 are 650ipwr+, just made 3 before this post) With the HD as stated .... I'll have a builder for every passive build there is.  Like 4 Huntress (Blazetress, Poisontress, Traptress, DPS).

@AshaMarie quote:

I recall free players only have 4 character slots because rest are locked behind pay wall.  Will the update make them feel useless or have they made it possible to purchase character slots without paying?

you will get one hero creation slot everytime when you unlock a hero.  so you can have atleast one charakter of every hero without paying.

@AshaMarie quote:

I have stopped playing this game while back and didn't want to come back because of how my old gears were useless from all the updates.  I thought about coming back but read on the hero deck changes upcoming.  I recall free players only have 4 character slots because rest are locked behind pay wall.  Will the update make them feel useless or have they made it possible to purchase character slots without paying?

New heroes can be earned through play, and when you unlock a new hero, whether you do so with Gems or the earnable currency, you get an additional hero slot.

@Alhanalem quote:

@AshaMarie quote:

New heroes can be earned through play, and when you unlock a new hero, whether you do so with Gems or the earnable currency, you get an additional hero slot.

Can you unlock additional hero slots with the earnable currency? Without having  to get the new hero I mean.

@BestProfileName quote:

@Alhanalem quote:

@AshaMarie quote:

Can you unlock additional hero slots with the earnable currency? Without having  to get the new hero I mean.

As far as I know, they didn't mention anything about this, It could be a good suggestion tho.

@BestProfileName quote:

@Alhanalem quote:

@AshaMarie quote:

Yes. They confirmed this in the last dev stream.

@Dreizehn quote:

Yes. They confirmed this in the last dev stream.

They confirmed that you will be able to get slots by themselves, not just slots + hero (a one-time thing) in the last stream? If you could point me to where I'll gladly check that out, because I don't recall that (and I was there crossing my fingers for an Ebonfire Warlord :P).

EDIT: I re-watched/listened to the latest devstream while getting ready for work and there's no confirmation of hero slots for Defender Medals WITHOUT buying the hero. If a free player has four slots and buys the Abyss Lord, they get a fifth slot, but there's nothing suggesting that if a free player has four slots and drops "x" amount of Defender Medals, they get a fifth slot for... I dunno, a Monk probably. Or a Pyro Apprentice.

@Gunghoe quote:

For me the biggest issue with a F2P account is bag space, you should be fine otherwise. 

See I think that bag space, more than hero slots, is a cosmetic/convenience thing that being premium-exclusive makes sense with. What do people primarily use their bags for, aside from holding loot? Pet upgrade materials, shiny uniques they want to hold on to, buff items, and alternate sets for respeccing on the fly.

With the upcoming deck changes, the one that takes up the most space (alternate sets) can be immediately remedied by additional heroes wearing that gear instead of taking up bag space. The strategic revamp, if balanced around every tower a hero has, is going to have an adverse effect on free players because they're going to be stuck with the stock 4 plus the free slots unlocked when they buy new heroes. When the deck was 4 and that's what everyone got, solo play between a paying and non-playing player were mostly equivalent. The only advantage, if any, that a paying player had was having more options to choose from BEFORE they went in to the map. A non-paying player would have to delete one of their heroes to make another (If, like my friend had to do, they levelled a Monk just to realize that a solo NM3-4 progression is really damn hard without a second Huntress), but that wasn't a balance issue. If everyone is building everything, unfortunately it's going to mean that players with more hero slots now have a very real and very distinct advantage in solo play.

I think people should be able to support the devs and pay for things like slots and bags, but if the game wants to truly say that there's no advantage, then the way this strategic revamp and deck change is being implemented means that hero slots, at the very least, are going to have to be available to free players somehow. Defender medals equivalent to around a "monthly quest" reward rate? 1 million gold? I dunno, but I'm worried that future balancing is going to further stratify the playerbase into brackets of cash v no-cash, and that's a slippery slope that any game that wants to avoid the P2W flag should avoid.

[[134767,users]] Sorry, maybe it was not the dev stream but a dev post. I'm just sure to have heard from one of them that heroes should be unlocked by Defender Medals. If this forum had at least(!) similar features as any free to use php forum has, I could start a serious search.

Edit: You can earn new slots with dungeon medals. So free to play people can have as many as people who pay. This is independent of the slots that come attached with new heroes. A good decision. It will become available, most likely, in the past after the next one.

@BestProfileName quote:

Edit: You can earn new slots with dungeon medals. So free to play people can have as many as people who pay. This is independent of the slots that come attached with new heroes. A good decision. It will become available, most likely, in the past after the next one.

Exactly correct for anyone that missed the devstream. A great idea to be implemented, and anyone whinging about wanting a refund for preemptive gems they purchased needs to swallow their "DEVS NEED MOAR SUPPORT PLSKTHX" pill.

It's infuriating to see. A few select players seem to be ignorant of the fact that you don't get it both ways, you can't sanctimoniously hold true to premium currency options and then complain when there's an alternative for the free playerbase with a game mechanic that has a real and distinct game advantage. You're just upset because the power is being shared with the free players, and you liked being part of the paying "upper class" with more slots. Certainly everyone doesn't fall in to this category, but those that do grate on my nerves. Use the gems for a costume if you're so inclined, and climb off of that high horse before you suffer from lack of oxygen at that altitude.

/rant

I bought slots but doesn't bother me to be able earn them either.  My money helps to support the game and thus is still vital in the grand scheme of things.  I'll also be a day 1 buyer of heroes with gems while I build a stash of Dragon currency in game.

I'm in the same boat, and I think that's the right attitude to have about it. Complaining about having to share the toys with people that aren't paying in a game that wants to be F2P is inherently childish to me, but that's most gaming communities in a nutshell, I suppose.