Sign in to follow this  
Alabama

I'm officially done with DD and Trendynet in general.

What companies are you talking about, please provide links to back up your statement, thanks

@Folly quote:

Having a legal right to do something does not make it the right thing to do. Other companies doing it does not make it right either.

Trendy is shutting down a game that a lot of people enjoy, to support a game that a lot of people are disappointed in. Or more likely, to pad their own wallets. Either way, the only way these actions are justifiable is legally.

@Folly quote:

Having a legal right to do something does not make it the right thing to do. Other companies doing it does not make it right either.

Trendy is shutting down a game that a lot of people enjoy, to support a game that a lot of people are disappointed in. Or more likely, to pad their own wallets. Either way, the only way these actions are justifiable is legally.

If by "support a game that a lot of people are disapointed in, Or more likely, to pad their own wallets" you mean "enforce their legal rights explicitly stipulated in a binding contract between two parties legitimized with the affirmation and consent of both parties", then I agree. If not, kindly close the door on your way out of the grown-ups' room.

I love how the original poster hasn't been on the forums or dd for like half a year, I find it amusing he only came back to say he isn't coming back (silence does the same thing boss) oh and I was super surprised to see he was currently playing...yup ARK ;) <---Sarcastic smile for those who didn't pick up on it ;) 

Anyways I'm done with all these trolls, keep up the good work Trendy :)

I haven't played DD2 much since I bought the $70 Co-Op Pre-Alpha back before the website went down.

However, after just recently learning about the lawsuit between Trendy Entertainment and Wildcard because of the whole Ark: Survival Evolved (A game I spent a great deal playing far more than DD2), I don't know what to say. The thing about non-compete clause in a contract they had on a developer that left, where he's not allowed to take part in making a game, it's like telling someone "You're not allowed to have a job in your career field until that clause expires" is like saying "Hey, be unemployed for a year or so, cause we want you to suffer for what you did" is a serious piece of *** move to put into a contract. I, for one, if I ever worked for any video game company, I will not sign ANY contracts that will have some stupid clause that would force someone to literally not be able to get a job in their career field should they leave their current employer.

I used to love Trendy, I loved Dungeon Defenders, was an amazingly great game (the first one). Can't say the 2nd one has pulled me in yet, but because of what is going on, I am now regretting ever having spent a dime on Trendy, and supporting them. If they continue with this lawsuit with Wildcard, I will never purchase nor play another Trendy game again, and will spread the word, and this would cause Trendy to lose far more faithful customers, and profits, than what they'd get from suing Wildcard in the "short run".

Then again, it's probably what they want, is to make some quick cash, but in the end, it'll destroy their reputation and supporters, and lose alot more money in the end.

You know that employment contracts are generally written with a tenure in mind, right? That non-complete clauses serve as an incentive for the employee to maintain their contract through its tenure, right? That a highly competitive industry with so many moving parts and ideas coming to the front at once has to have some sort of check for literal idea stealing, right? That employment contracts are written, in the vast majority of cases, with no third party beneficiaries, implied or otherwise, in mind, right? That your feelings on the matter don't affect the contract, which Stieglitz signed right? That if you want to avoid non-compete clauses entirely then you're never going to have a job in any seriously competitive field, right? No, then have a seat. Here's a little more free education for you, call me Bernie Scampers:

I'm under a non-compete clause with the firm I'm working at right now, so if I do something to get fired or try to start a new firm in the same geographical area, the firm can take me to court because I signed the damn contract. My signature, oddly enough, is also why I get certain perks in my contract that incentivize me further to stay with the firm until the contract's tenure is up (stock options, health coverage, free probate attorney services and notarizations, and access to an expansive client list). Everyone chiming in about their FEELINGS on the matter, as though they should have any bearing on a matter like this, is absolutely infuriating. The contract wasn't written with gamers feelings in mind, because they don't matter in contracts between a gaming company and its employees. If TE felt that they had a claim, then they damn sure should pursue it. To do otherwise is to literally throw away a pre-agreed remedy to a contractual dispute.

TL;DR - You can FEEL however you want, but it's irrelevant. Your "I will not sign ANY contracts that will have some stupid clause that would force someone to literally not be able to get a job in their career field should they leave their current employer" just demonstrates a hilarious amount of ignorance about norms in competitive job markets that are highly susceptible to IP/patent issues.

[[10536,hashtags]]

At first I just wanted to ignore this topic because there are a lot of great responses and explanations on the matter. Actually I just want to say thank you [[134767,users]] for the great explanation. 

I'm not sure on the specifics of their contract, but a non-compete agreement doesn't mean you're going to be unemployed for a year. There are multiple fields of computer science he can choose to go into, he just can't produce video games for a year. When I left my job, I wasn't allowed to go back into the subject for 3 years. I got a job in the same field, but it was a different field of study. Jeremey is likely able to do the same. There was no reason he should have helped anybody at Ark. It's a clear violation of contract. He should've switched into software development that didn't revolve directly around games. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/playark/comments/4d4md0/some_interesting_information_on_the_wildcard/

Wanted to make this visible to you guys over here as well: The parent company, Insight Ventures, is responsible for all of this lawsuit nonsense, not Trendy themselves.

Trendy is just a proxy that is being abused to float the lawsuit. If you're angry about any of this, for any reason, direct that anger at Insight Venture Capital, not at Trendy, or at Wildcard.This isn't about studio vs studio, this is about a VC firm trying to destroy two companies and walk away with as much money as possible.

https://twitter.com/insightpartners
https://www.facebook.com/Insight-Venture-Partners-149606742154/
https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Insight-Venture-Partners-Reviews-E198028.htm

These guys don't care about you, Trendy, or Wildcard. Just money. Let them know how you feel.

I like that there are more well informed posts and more well written discussion here then there is on talks of the Abyss Lord anywhere.

I'm glad (surprised also) that Trendy haven't deleted this.

(I'll always be your Bro Trendy)

@Gherik quote:
I, for one, if I ever worked for any video game company, I will not sign ANY contracts that will have some stupid clause that would force someone to literally not be able to get a job in their career field should they leave their current employer.

Hahahaha, good luck getting any job aside from Walmart or Target or at a gas station then! Maybe try McDonalds or KFC, your future is clearly going to be bright with them.

Uhm, so to summarize this thread: People are pissed at Trendy, because a Wildcard employee broke a contract and was sued by Insight Ventures?

Alright then.