Carnival Event Difficulty. I'm getting wrecked!

I feel like a scrub. The Carnival event is just completely wrecking me. Am I doing something wrong?

I have a huntress doing the normalized level thing since I'm only level 22. I choose the builder path and set up geysers and flame traps in each lane.I fight/use abilities but I don't survive 30 seconds. I just get bum rushed and they destroy the "core" so fast. They come from all directions and I can't split my focus since it takes so long to kill any of them. And this is just the first wave! How am I supposed to do this? Am I just that bad?

You need to be really quick with the anti-air and the boxes that spawn stuff in that map. Walls and defense need to be close to the crystal too because of how close the boxes spawn. Which makes a shielding wave monk DPS pretty good there, he can hit most of the walls in one shot and use chi blast to help keep the mini kobolds back.

Makes me wonder why they decided to put those boxes so close in the first place. It really defeats the purpose of a big map. 

Are you using only one character to do this? If yes its kinda impossible. All you have to do is to create another 3 lvl1 chars (if you have free slots) and go try again with more weapon variety.

you can actually afk that map on wave 1-5 normal with the builders they'll give to you. put down 6-8 walls, 4 serenity auras, 1aa and the rest lightning auras/frosts. place the serenety in front of your walls, build some la in it and build 2-3 frosts per side. you need 3 builders for that so making some lvl1 chars will do. i can make some pictures if you still have problems

Here is how I did it:

Make a "normalized" squire builder.

Build barricades in each of the lanes immediately around the "crystal cart".

Put a harpoon and a cannon behind the barricades on the lane leading to the roller coaster pickup, and the lane opposite of that that goes into the mess hall/cafeteria area.

For the other lanes put a row of cannon towers and then 2 or 3 harpoons behind that row.

For the lane pointing towards Jester and her stage: upgrade everything here as much as you can before the end of wave 5. Put more defenses here than anywhere else.

Edit: I forgot the important part: use the remaining DU to build Harpoon towers all around the crystal. Point most of them at the Tilt-A-Whirl ride (the thing with the old man in it), because that is where most of the balloon kobolds come in from.

After you are done building you need to switch to a normalized ability/attack hero. Monk or Huntress can both work, but huntress might be safer from the boss. You might want to destroy Jester's presents that are scattered around the map to make the fight easier since some of the special enemies are more annoying than others.

I hope this helps.

I use a build just like Chrissus says. I take Monk, Frosty mage, Waller and DPS, whichever I fancy at the time. Two walls on each of the lanes coming into the crystal, Serenity outside 3 LAs on each side except where Mr Squish and Smash spawns I put 4 and an LSA. One AA where the cup whirlitzer is between it and the crystal.

Then rest of frosties, kill the jester boxes asap especially if you get fire mages spawn.