Sign in to follow this  
KnowsNoLimits

New dev stream coming up.

@iamisom quote:

Today's Devstream will focus on hero acquisition and the Abyss Lord. The next Devstream will focus on the Hero Deck and future changes to strategy/balance. 

Can't wait to see everyone there. :)

Hyped to hear about the new hero deck! Hope there no more hero limit.  

Thanks for keeping us updated. 

@iamisom quote:

@Chappyy quote:

@iamisom quote:

Today's Devstream will focus on hero acquisition and the Abyss Lord. The next Devstream will focus on the Hero Deck and future changes to strategy/balance. 

Can't wait to see everyone there. :)

I have to say you have already made me sad Isom. You just confirmed it will be a 45 min commercial ad. There is so much that can be covered in an hour and the focus is only going to be 2 things? A new hero and how you can get the hero?

Oh, there's a special smoothie section:  Banana vs. Mango. Very heated internally. I think there's going to be an Influence Vote going up about it after the stream. ;)

Now I realize my fail at the consumable feedback topic. I should have asked for a healing smoothie anstead of a healing salve. Smoothie sounds healthier and more awesome. (and tastes better, I swear)

No lightning round, no hero deck :(

Every answer was "we`re looking into it, we have ideas, we are working on it, gives us time, let`s see how it works out, no quick fixes needed cos they divert manpower from the bigger picture"

Upside was new heroes can be earned by playing and every new hero will come with a free hero slot.
Oh and possible maps with actual strategy needed.

Overall they didn`t succeed in making me more hopeful for the future of the game.

They boast and reiterate how they listen to us and seconds later they explain why we don`t really want what we want :(

yep, same ol' same ol' devstream.  At least with regards to how informative it was and much effort was put into preparing/structuring it.  There was some cool lines though, like spheres getting overhauled, monk is getting attention (towers + abilities), and melee combat is getting overhauled as well

sucks, but it is what it is.  A lot of people in chat were excited so maybe this just isn't for me anymore

@Sogron quote:

No lightning round, no hero deck :(

We cut the Lightning Round because of some of the feedback in this thread about how we don't dive into questions, so I cut the questions down to those I thought people would want more information on. The next Devstream is dedicated to the Hero Deck, so all of that discussion will happen then. (I can bring back the Lightning Round if you want, but it'll probably take time away from in-depth question answering.)

I feel like there can only be so much more waiting for balance and content to actually go through. At this rate the community will be dead or gone by the time it actually goes through 

@SharpestBanana quote:

I feel like there can only be so much more waiting for balance and content to actually go through. At this rate the community will be dead or gone by the time it actually goes through 

I'm on the fence about this devstream. I'll just point out some things I liked/disliked.

No lightning round in order to make more room for more detailed answers to questions. I'm fond of it.

I'm not fond of continuously being kept in the dark, however. Who cares what kind of detail each Q/A is if it boils down to "sure, things will get fixed, but no eta."

I'm okay with heroes being bought with gems/medals, depending on how GRINDY they make it. If it's an obnoxiously long grind, I won't bother really.

The colossus looks like a champ. It is something to be excited for and I'll definitely be interested in more about the Abyss Lord.

I was NOT pleased with these "previews." A 3 second clip is not a preview and is a joke. No gameplay shots, no view on a single or his animations. Etc. 

The stream did feel more well done, this time around though. 

And for the love of god, my final point:

If you're going to quote comments, please make sure it's something you can make sense of!

@Tristaris quote:

I'm not fond of continuously being kept in the dark, however. Who cares what kind of detail each Q/A is if it boils down to "sure, things will get fixed, but no eta."

We answered every question with as much transparency as we can offer. For some things, we don't have an exact ETA on. If there was a question about something that's an open conversation internally, we tried to share that conversation with you. The same things that players are frustrated with are the same things that we're frustrated with and are a high priority task to tackle. In the in-depth questions, we're going for more of a developer roundtable approach where we tell you our current feelings and ideas about the questions being given. (For example, Elliot's answer about how Skill Spheres need a new revision because they're not quite working out.) 

As we move forward, there will be more concrete answers and timelines. With this next update, you're going to start to see the beginnings of our work on improving the flow, the strategy and the fun of the game. Everyone internally is jazzed up right now. I hope you'll enjoy the changes when they come out.

@iamisom quote:

@Tristaris quote:

We answered every question with as much transparency as we can offer. For some things, we don't have an exact ETA on. If there was a question about something that's an open conversation internally, we tried to share that conversation with you. The same things that players are frustrated with are the same things that we're frustrated with and are a high priority task to tackle. In the in-depth questions, we're going for more of a developer roundtable approach where we tell you our current feelings and ideas about the questions being given. (For example, Elliot's answer about how Skill Spheres need a new revision because they're not quite working out.) 

As we move forward, there will be more concrete answers and timelines. With this next update, you're going to start to see the beginnings of our work on improving the flow, the strategy and the fun of the game. Everyone internally is jazzed up right now. I hope you'll enjoy the changes when they come out.

Yeah, and i mostly understand you can't just spill all of the information. I absolutely understand it, and hopefully as changes start to take shape, we the players can start to see them happen. 

I do like the format of this devstream more-so than previous though. 

If everything happens that Elliot did chat about, it'll have me psyched up for sure. So long as changes are fun, I'll play the hell out of it. I put over 300 hours into a single patch in the past, so I know the potential is there.

It was the first one I've watched in a while, and it was definitely better than the ones I remember.

The new guy seems to have a coherent and palatable philosophy about game design, and it comes through well.

Will have to wait two weeks I guess.  My hope is that the hero deck announcement was put off because they either weren't ready or this was judged to be more important.  Part of me worries though that this was the hopeful enticement before they announce a stance that might otherwise cause a lot of people to give up.

@iamisom quote:

I can bring back the Lightning Round if you want, but it'll probably take time away from in-depth question answering.

I`m afraid both formats hold about the same amount of information. I`ll just stop watching because it`s clear it isn`t for me.

I understand pulling community questions when there's too much information to communicate and you want the community to do some filtering for you so that they can come away with what's important.  

But that's obviously not the case here, right?  We're asking questions for the sake of filling time with non-answers.  That's annoying and wastes everyone's time

Why don't they just look at everything they've been working on, acknowledge everything they can talk about, and just put that in the dev stream?  That'd save everyone some time and not feel like I'm watching some first year college student try and wing a 40 minute presentation with 0 prep (ok some prep, they had 5 second video clips and a sheet of topics, supposedly)

@Pachipachio quote:

I understand pulling community questions when there's too much information to communicate and you want the community to do some filtering for you so that they can come away with what's important.  

But that's obviously not the case here, right?  We're asking questions for the sake of filling time with non-answers.  That's annoying and wastes everyone's time

Why don't they just look at everything they've been working on, acknowledge everything they can talk about, and just put that in the dev stream?  That'd save everyone some time and not feel like I'm watching some first year college student try and wing a 40 minute presentation with 0 prep (ok some prep, they had 5 second video clips and a sheet of topics, supposedly)

Thanks for this BTW Kappa. It's 630 am and I was going to watch the dev stream replay but I somehow  get the idea I am going to just be let down again.

Viewing complete

DoubleFacepalm_zps5895bdfe.jpg

I don't think you need a 30 min portion of your stream to be a first look about a hero you don't really want to talk about yet. What factual, not conceptual (since you already told us that concept change) information did we learn about the development of this game today?
Heroes will cost gems. Heroes will also be purchasable with a new in game currency that you earn by play. New currency will be usable on other things. Every new hero will come with it's own hero slot. Those are the kind of things I like about the devstream.  Abyss lord will have a book as a weapon (still didn't talk about if he attacks or not). Questions everyone is asking and need a solid answer on.
I like the enthusiasm of Elliot and I think he will do great things or at least he sounds like he will do great things. Honestly however it was still another stream of someday we want to do these things. Almost everything was hypothetical hopes and dreams with a side of wouldn't it be cool if.  Seriously this is more of a concept stream and not a development stream. I understand that is an opinion but I didn't really learn anything about how you are developing this game other then you understand that things need to change at some point. You told me where you want to go but you never tell me how to get there. So That's it for me I seriously doubt the Hero deck changes are going to be good for me. Not really worth waiting 2 weeks to find out that the hero deck changes are minimal at best with some UI enhancement and some co-op QoL changes.

Maybe it's because I was taking notes on the Dev stream to use for The Social Tavern after but I feel that this dev stream is alot better than the previous and will only get better once Trendy have the information that they want to share with us ready.

Elliott give us an insight to how he is going to be taking the game forward and which systems he knows are bogged down and need an overhaul. Just because we didn't get the exact details now doesn't mean that this dev stream was a failure. It was the first dev stream in this new format and I think it works and will get better as time passes. They also address a number of points that people here on the forums have been very heated about such as how we will earn heroes and will it be P2W. The information was there.

I will agree that it could have had more information and previews on the Abyss Lord since he was the main focus of this Dev Stream but I it looks like they just weren't ready to show him off so this dev stream was premature.

@Argick quote:

Maybe it's because I was taking notes on the Dev stream to use for The Social Tavern after but I feel that this dev stream is alot better than the previous and will only get better once Trendy have the information that they want to share with us ready.

Elliott give us an insight to how he is going to be taking the game forward and which systems he knows are bogged down and need an overhaul. Just because we didn't get the exact details now doesn't mean that this dev stream was a failure. It was the first dev stream in this new format and I think it works and will get better as time passes. They also address a number of points that people here on the forums have been very heated about such as how we will earn heroes and will it be P2W. The information was there.

I will agree that it could have had more information and previews on the Abyss Lord since he was the main focus of this Dev Stream but I it looks like they just weren't ready to show him off so this dev stream was premature.

Usually i agree with you but this time no. There wasn't a new format at all unless you call the intro slide and back drop a new format. It was the same thing as always, here is what we are going to be selling you soon and we are going to be working on some stuff you will like. While I understand keeping the faith you are starting to sound just as much like a broken record as I am. Every stream you say just wait till next stream then maybe we will get info and every stream I ask when will it happen. What do you mean by " once Trendy have the information that they want to share with us ready"? To date that is usually after something is released and we already see it. That really makes it sound like they don't know the information yet either and once they figure it out they will tell us. This stream did next to nothing to boost confidence in the direction the game is going. The old saying talk is cheap comes to mind. I am tired of hearing about what they want to do and never hearing this is what we are doing. You don't need to give me a release date to say this is how we are going to fix spheres. This is how we are fixing the hero deck. This is how we are balancing heroes. I'm not asking for release dates I am  asking what are you doing about it not what would you like to do. It is absurd.

oh, something worth mentioning was elliot at one point commented about consumables "we should probably have them stack higher" or something to that effect

so, that's good news :^)  

@Chappyy quote:

Usually i agree with you but this time no. There wasn't a new format at all unless you call the intro slide and back drop a new format. It was the same thing as always, here is what we are going to be selling you soon and we are going to be working on some stuff you will like. While I understand keeping the faith you are starting to sound just as much like a broken record as I am. Every stream you say just wait till next stream then maybe we will get info and every stream I ask when will it happen. What do you mean by " once Trendy have the information that they want to share with us ready"? To date that is usually after something is released and we already see it. That really makes it sound like they don't know the information yet either and once they figure it out they will tell us. This stream did next to nothing to boost confidence in the direction the game is going. The old saying talk is cheap comes to mind. I am tired of hearing about what they want to do and never hearing this is what we are doing. You don't need to give me a release date to say this is how we are going to fix spheres. This is how we are fixing the hero deck. This is how we are balancing heroes. I'm not asking for release dates I am  asking what are you doing about it not what would you like to do. It is absurd.

I'm failing to see how it wasn't a new format. They've taken the devstream and broke it down into sections. It's different therefore it's a new format. You don't have to like what it is but it's different. It's better than previous devstreams but it's still not perfect as they should use it to tell us more.

What do I mean by "Once Trendy have the information that they want to share with us ready"? I mean they will tell us once they have decided themselves what they are going to do. You heard Elliott. He has seen a number of the systems in game and understands how they were supposed to work but  they don't and they need to be overhauled. Do they know as of that devstream how exactly they are going to overhaul them? Probably not hence why they didn't say anymore. They probably have ideas bouncing around internally and until one is chosen we wont hear about it.

I'm going to keep sounding like a broken record I'm afraid. Like I said I'm giving them 18 weeks (3 milestones after carnival) to begin fixing the game before I become sour. Perhaps I should just step back from the forums since all it is right now is White Knights vs Naysayers and neither of the groups are right.

@Argick quote:

@Chappyy quote:

I'm failing to see how it wasn't a new format. They've taken the devstream and broke it down into sections. It's different therefore it's a new format. You don't have to like what it is but it's different. It's better than previous devstreams but it's still not perfect as they should use it to tell us more.

What do I mean by "Once Trendy have the information that they want to share with us ready"? I mean they will tell us once they have decided themselves what they are going to do. You heard Elliott. He has seen a number of the systems in game and understands how they were supposed to work but  they don't and they need to be overhauled. Do they know as of that devstream how exactly they are going to overhaul them? Probably not hence why they didn't say anymore. They probably have ideas bouncing around internally and until one is chosen we wont hear about it.

I'm going to keep sounding like a broken record I'm afraid. Like I said I'm giving them 18 weeks (3 milestones after carnival) to begin fixing the game before I become sour. Perhaps I should just step back from the forums since all it is right now is White Knights vs Naysayers and neither of the groups are right.

Please show me in bullet form the new layout and how it's different. I would argue there is no difference by the fact that all the old formats started with one topic at a time and just talk about it for 20 mins then talk about a second topic for 20 mins then read questions. Same thing we just saw. I already layed out a format change that you even agreed with in the most part. That is a change in format. The only thing you might say is they didn't change speakers but they have done that in the past. Really can't see a difference here at all.

The format was the same imo

maybe Elliot was a little more specific than previous hosts were with regards to things like revamping monk, melee combat sucking, etc 

but in large, wasn't all of this sort of already known?  Not gonna look for timestamps but we've all heard them (not elliot) say previously that hero balance sucks, spheres will be changed, towers will be balanced, having a singular meta sucks, etc etc?

and that was just the good stuff, the rest was exactly what I'd come to expect... a dev stream whose focus is the abyss lord and we learn like 3 things about him... and those 3 things raise more questions than answer lol

I think what you ought to be referring to, argick, is that Elliot was the tiniest degree more transparent, and not that the format was different

just my 2 cents though

Yes a change in format for me would have had to get away from this teaser style of sneak peak and have talked comments and start talking facts. I am the kind of person that hates when people talk around topics. We need facts not theories. Almost everything Elliot said is a theory until he says thus is how it is going to be. He literally told us nothing but his goals. While I like the sound of his goals it's the same thing we have been hearing just a new persons goals. That is not a new format it's a new set of ideas.

@Chappyy quote

Please show me in bullet form the new layout and how it's different. I would argue there is no difference by the fact that all the old formats started with one topic at a time and just talk about it for 20 mins then talk about a second topic for 20 mins then read questions. Same thing we just saw. I already layed out a format change that you even agreed with in the most part. That is a change in format. The only thing you might say is they didn't change speakers but they have done that in the past. Really can't see a difference here at all.

Yep and I still agree with your format change. To me that would be a perfect devstream format.

As for this devstream it went like this.

• New intro screen detailing current and upcoming topics on devstreams

New intro showing the topics of the upcoming devstreams. So long as they stick to it people will know what is coming up.

• Introduction and information on giveaway prices / Galactic weapons 

Standard introduction to the dev stream informing people of how to enter giveaways, what the prizes are and telling us that it's still possible to earn the Galactic weapons by joining the steam group. 

• New Section Devlog Recap

A new section going over parts of the Devlog. A decent addition since not alot of people check out the devlog. Also provides an opportunity for people on the stream to elaborate on the highlighted sections providing more information compare to what is written.

• New First Look - Defender Medals

A new section that will be showing off things that we have not yet seen. This one being a topic about currency that will be getting implemented to the game and it's potential uses.

• First Look - Abyss Lord

Another first look section this time about the Abyss Lord. We were given some information about what he will do and the active gameplay associated with him. However as stated above I do think that this section on the Abyss Lord was premature since all clips used were very short and there wasn't much in terms of his abilities and tower minus the direct command ability and colossus respectively but in the future a first look section should contain more

• New Hot topic questions from the forums

They took question from the forums that have been asked a lot and gave responses to them. This is considered new since they are not going through as many questions with just yes no answers and are being more detailed with the answers.

• Questions from Twitch chat

Standard question section this time from the twitch chat. Again with less yes/no answers and going into details where possible.

• Outro 

Standard outro as with any devstream

Compared to previous devstreams this was different and an improvement whereas you do not. 

@Argick quote:

@Chappyy quote

Yep and I still agree with your format change. To me that would be a perfect devstream format.

As for this devstream it went like this.

• New intro screen detailing current and upcoming topics on devstreams

New intro showing the topics of the upcoming devstreams. So long as they stick to it people will know what is coming up.

• Introduction and information on giveaway prices / Galactic weapons 

Standard introduction to the dev stream informing people of how to enter giveaways, what the prizes are and telling us that it's still possible to earn the Galactic weapons by joining the steam group. 

• New Section Devlog Recap

A new section going over parts of the Devlog. A decent addition since not alot of people check out the devlog. Also provides an opportunity for people on the stream to elaborate on the highlighted sections providing more information compare to what is written.

• New First Look - Defender Medals

A new section that will be showing off things that we have not yet seen. This one being a topic about currency that will be getting implemented to the game and it's potential uses.

• First Look - Abyss Lord

Another first look section this time about the Abyss Lord. We were given some information about what he will do and the active gameplay associated with him. However as stated above I do think that this section on the Abyss Lord was premature since all clips used were very short and there wasn't much in terms of his abilities and tower minus the direct command ability and colossus respectively but in the future a first look section should contain more

• New Hot topic questions from the forums

They took question from the forums that have been asked a lot and gave responses to them. This is considered new since they are not going through as many questions with just yes no answers and are being more detailed with the answers.

• Questions from Twitch chat

Standard question section this time from the twitch chat. Again with less yes/no answers and going into details where possible.

• Outro 

Standard outro as with any devstream

Compared to previous devstreams this was different and an improvement whereas you do not. 

This is not a format though it is a list of information that was discussed. They always talk about the steam group status every stream since it started. They always seem to be doing a first look at some new content of skins. The Dev log recap I have to give it to you kind of since it is a new feature. the rest of it you can overlay on every single dev stream in the past and I am almost positive you and I both have seen just about every single one. I guess I'm just stubborn, I did 20 years in the army in Military Intelligence so I've been to more briefings and meetings than one person should ever have to. I hate wasting my my time listening to something that is supposed to be informative and is not. So my version of formatting and yours will probably never be close. It's probably less about the format anyways and more about the content I just think format lends to getting your views across better and more efficient.