A few question towards Squire and Apprentice

I played a few games again, tried to beat a few maps to get some gear, read some guides and watched a few videos...and noticed, that no one uses Apprentice and Squire for towers.

But whats wrong with the regular towers, that no one uses them for the NM maps?
If they are bad...isnt it bad game design then, when only "one meta" is the way to go?

I was never a friend of traps and auras, i just...dont like them, and so i dont want to use them. Being forced to use something because there is no other way to beat a map...well...that would be a bad design.

Or are those towers viable and there are just no guides for them?

Also with the loot rework, is it now possible to combine a wall and tower squire into one, or would i still need two seperates? one waller and one tower (if i would even need a tower squire)
And what about the Apprentice walls, do they have a use now?
Last but not least...is the Apprentice a viable DPS char now, or is it still Huntress only?

My App is built hybrid. Frosty, pyro, and tower range passives on all gear, defense crit is optional. Flamethrowers + flameburst is good for armored lanes, even in NM4. The elementals have the advantage when it comes to extremely tightly-knit clumps of enemies. This is because flamethrowers work only in a line, and flameburst works only for front line. Meanwhile, traps just effect everything equally np. But yeah, App towers are totally viable if geared correctly. 

As far as Squire towers, I dunno. Haven't experimented with that tbh. I like traps for magic resist lanes.

I beat the game up to and including nm3 (solo all the way) with cannons, ballistas, flamebursts and geysers.
Only noticed that frosties stack while failing dozens of times in nm4 Gates, trying to break into nm4. And stacking frosties is the only thing making traps utterly superior to towers. If they fixed frosty stacking, and buffed boost aura from 10% to 15-20%, traps would only outshine towers and auras in specific situations (meaning ofc maps with narrow lanes).

Your beef is with Frosties and those don`t even matter until you enter nm4.

@Sogron quote:

I beat the game up to and including nm3 (solo all the way) with cannons, ballistas, flamebursts and geysers.
Only noticed that frosties stack while failing dozens of times in nm4 Gates, trying to break into nm4. And stacking frosties is the only thing making traps utterly superior to towers. If they fixed frosty stacking, and buffed boost aura from 10% to 15-20%, traps would only outshine towers and auras in specific situations (meaning ofc maps with narrow lanes).

Your beef is with Frosties and those don`t even matter until you enter nm4.

interesting, my apprentice is pure tower (i think damage and critical), with the deep freeze augment thingy equipped, i have always atleast one per lane.
so far biggest problem are the squires, since i still need the gear for them...just noticed that "hearty blockade" is far superior to regular tower health.
nice to hear that the regular towers are still worth it, and not just geysir and the electric aura^^

but for some reason i get bored whenever i want to farm things, maybe its because of all those unnecessary gamemodes with no clear "progression path", never understood why there are several gamemodes on the same maps with basically the same rules (for example, why are the "endgame" types not just included into the "normal" missions with a higher difficulty? why do they need their own tabs?)
not to mention that its kinda boring alone, since all my friends stopped playing because there is "nothing to do"

well...im still excited about the Abyss Lord, hopefully he is like my beloved summoner

The issue in NM are the resistences, while Squire only does physical damage and Apprentice does only magical damage, the huntress does both kind of damage. Due to Hero limitation to 4 in NM, is it really hard to use Apprentice and Squire, because you need both(!), or 1 Huntress.

You would need 5 heroes, if you want to use Apprentice or Squire towers, this exceed the 4 heroes limit.

The sollution to fix this issue: remove resis or remove hero limit.

You need:

1 Waller (Squire or Apprentice)

2 Support (Monk and Apprentice)

1 Tower (Huntress for magic and physical Traps)

Fighter (Huntress, Apprentice DPS or Squire Tank) (optional)

The struggle for towers is physical. Since you're likely bringing a squire for walls you can't take advantage of the really powerful crits that cannons can get. Also, they lack AOE. Sploody can be very strong but typically requries a double lane to truly excel. 

I've gotten myself into nm4 incursion liferoot with wall/cannon/sploody hybrid squire, frosty/flamethrower apprentice, purge/boost monk, and DPS huntress. I can't do gates because kobolds in the magic resist lanes spells my death. I don't have the aoe to kill them unless I go traps. My huntress typically needs to babysit the magic resist lanes but the flamethrowers hold their own with a mix of t2/t3 towers and two frost towers (and purge of course). 

@Tamika quote:

The issue in NM are the resistences, while Squire only does physical damage and Apprentice does only magical damage, the huntress does both kind of damage. Due to Hero limitation to 4 in NM, is it really hard to use Apprentice and Squire, because you need both(!), or 1 Huntress.

You would need 5 heroes, if you want to use Apprentice or Squire towers, this exceed the 4 heroes limit.

The sollution to fix this issue: remove resis or remove hero limit.

You need:

1 Waller (Squire or Apprentice)

2 Support (Monk and Apprentice)

1 Tower (Huntress for magic and physical Traps)

Fighter (Huntress, Apprentice DPS or Squire Tank) (optional)

Yeah...thats kinda an issue and a huge problem if you want to play solo...
So far i had
1 Waller Squire (can apprentice seriously be a waller?)
1 Tower Apprentice
1 DPS Huntress
and 1 Tower Squire leveling up.

But it seems like i need atleast an additional Monk for the Boost Aura and Anti Air
I guess the huntress can switch between magical and physical by just removing the skill sphere, right? We should have that for all our "offensive defenses"...

Kinda sounds like "wait for the Herodeck changes" - is there anything know about it?

Also, where do i level up now? I tried Endgame on Liferoot since there i got good gear too (~400 even if i cant beat it all the time, or is there another good map?), but somehow my little Squire wont level up...back when i played the others, they got a level up each wave...