Sign in to follow this  
Gunghoe

With the new hero, here is some thoughts.

I don't mind personally with some cosmetics at launch of the new hero for gems. I don't mind that at all and I expect it. There is a worry within the chat with in the game, is that the new hero will cost gems or money. Instead of releasing the hero with a paywall. There is several options.

At the very least make sure there is a way to get it for free forever. Don't make the objective to get it harder than a monthly mission.  Don't make the grind akin to heroes of the storm, this is simple. The whole point of the hero is to make the game better for everyone. While it's nice to make money I know this, but the whole point of adding a hero is to make the game more enjoyable for everyone. 

Putting the hero behind a paywall will make sure the free-to-play player have a lot less fun, as if they where surely second class. there is already a small player base, and adding this tension to the game especially with 42 dollar costumes in the game will feel like a sour and huge thing to take in.  My thoughts is that the game will indeed suffer if the game releases a hero that is behind a paywall. The premise I get behind adding a new hero is that you guys would like to shake up the meta about the game and make it feel less stale, also make the whole idea of hero deck matter and the fact that it's limited is with multiple heroes.

And if that is the truth of the matter is that this is 1 hero in a long line of heroes to come, is that if each one will cost money, and you only get the four we have now for free, that the game will be severely worse for the free-to-play player. While I have the collectors edition and bought it when the game came out, and still have quite a bit of the gems left.  I don't think it would be beneficial to make every hero cost money. if every hero ends up costing money then well the game will indefinitely feel like a buy to play game in the long run. Especially by the time there is more than 7 heroes in the game, where half of the classes/heroes are costing money. 

with the release of this hero, make sure that there isn't such a big advantage over a free-to-play player. The release of the character will indeed spike many peoples interest in the game. However if you release the hero with a big fat paywall, people will likely complain and cry for eternity and make the player base suffer or the future of the player base suffer. There is already a heap of negativity surrounding the game, I think if the game releases a pay walled hero the game will suffer. 

Will the game's hero be free for everyone? 

I think I'd give up on dd2 if new hero's are locked behind a pay wall, it'd ruin a big part of the game for me.

all hero's will be free only hero slots will be charged for so that they make money but all hero's they release will be free they confirmed that but of course could change that if they pleased!

One of the problems that arises when they release new characters is that everyone suddenly wants to play as that hero.  Personally, I think they should do some sort of limited-time promotion where the hero is only available to players who pay like $10 for a costume. After 3 weeks or so, "free" players can unlock the hero by beating the main game or something. This allows Trendy to have their "cash grab" without making the game P2W. It would also prevent everyone from using the Abyss Lord at the same time.

@topler quote:

I think I'd give up on dd2 if new hero's are locked behind a pay wall, it'd ruin a big part of the game for me.

Yep, would uninstall immediately and advise my steam friends to stay away.
Would do the same if every new hero didn`t come with a free extra char slot.

did you see the two dudes look at each other during that dev stream when they said outloud basically 'will new heroes be paid content' and they, looked at each other, smiled, laughed, then said basically, 'i don't know,'

its paid content. as in, pushed out paid content without balancing already programmed heros to generate money to further progress paid for content to come full circle again. guys.. how many games has this happend to that you tried to support in your life? you can say what you want but, just, go ... watch it. then wave a flag of your chosen color on this subject. attached intended mechanic inc:

For those of you that didn't read the dev log.

Daniel Haddad, Design Director (Blacksmith)

Working on two new hero designs and wrapping up the Abyss Lord. Also writing up some designs for set items, a means for free players to earn heroes, and some enemy redesigns for the far future.

This tells you right here that they intend to charge for new heroes. This is the crappy part. Instead of just announcing it in a dev stream or an official post and standing behind their decision, they put out a small excerpt like this.

@topler quote:

why is a new hero locked behind a paywall a bad thing? all new heroes for DD1 were locked behind a paywall (DLC) along with new maps as well. why do you deserve free content, even though im pretty sure it was mentioned that there will be a method for people to earn the heroes

@topler quote:

Reskinned hero costumes cost 40+ bucks.

I can't imagine what a new hero with new towers, and skins of his own is going to cost. I can hear the credit cards crying already.

As I've said in the other thread I have no problem if Trendy goes down the route of selling characters and the prerequisite hero slot for premium currency so long as there is a way for them both to be earned with in game currency too.  They can go ahead and copy the League of Legends RP (Premium) and IP (In game currency) system.

However if they intend to make the hero free but the hero slot premium then I will have issues or vice versa then I will have issues. 

@Argick quote:

As I've said in the other thread I have no problem if Trendy goes down the route of selling characters and the prerequisite hero slot for premium currency so long as there is a way for them both to be earned with in game currency too.  They can go ahead and copy the League of Legends RP (Premium) and IP (In game currency) system.

However if they intend to make the hero free but the hero slot premium then I will have issues or vice versa then I will have issues. 

AND if they make both hero slots and new heroes purchasable with in game currency then we can just remove the hero deck without this fear of P2W without it :)

@Chappyy quote:

For those of you that didn't read the dev log.

Daniel Haddad, Design Director (Blacksmith)

Working on two new hero designs and wrapping up the Abyss Lord. Also writing up some designs for set items, a means for free players to earn heroes, and some enemy redesigns for the far future.

This tells you right here that they intend to charge for new heroes. This is the crappy part. Instead of just announcing it in a dev stream or an official post and standing behind their decision, they put out a small excerpt like this.

Beat me to it. This is a pretty dead giveaway that the abyss lord will have a gem price tag attached to it, though there will be a way to unlock him without paying gems.

@Blehard quote:

@topler quote:

why is a new hero locked behind a paywall a bad thing? all new heroes for DD1 were locked behind a paywall (DLC) along with new maps as well. why do you deserve free content, even though im pretty sure it was mentioned that there will be a method for people to earn the heroes

Yes but I don't buy dlc characters, only way I'll get them is when they are in the special addition that has all dlc. I'm also not saying I deserve anything just that I'll leave the game cause it puts a sour taste in my mouth.

@Tristaris quote:

@topler quote:

Reskinned hero costumes cost 40+ bucks.

I can't imagine what a new hero with new towers, and skins of his own is going to cost. I can hear the credit cards crying already.

It'd be quite funny if they try selling a new hero for 40+, can already imagine the hate they'd get on the forums for that. I do wonder if anyone actually bought that fire huntress skin cause imo it's kinda ugly, definitely not worth 40.

@Blehard quote:

@topler quote:

It being locked behind a paywall, goes against their entire philosophy of no pay to win advantages that they've preached on this entire time.

I'm not against supporting a company, but when you tell me one thing, and then go back on that word, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't mind it costing gems and there being a way to earn it in game, but if it's a huge frickin grind like most free to play games are, I can tell you right now I will not be participating, and I doubt I'll dump that much effort into it, honestly because the game isn't appealing to me to begin with right now.

@Tristaris quote:

@Blehard quote:

@topler quote:

It being locked behind a paywall, goes against their entire philosophy of no pay to win advantages that they've preached on this entire time.

I'm not against supporting a company, but when you tell me one thing, and then go back on that word, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't mind it costing gems and there being a way to earn it in game, but if it's a huge frickin grind like most free to play games are, I can tell you right now I will not be participating, and I doubt I'll dump that much effort into it, honestly because the game isn't appealing to me to begin with right now.

Even more important then just the purchase alone is the fact of will it be purchasable with gems or as a steam only purchase. This is important because it will be just one more thing that I can't use my already purchased gems on.

@Chappyy quote:

@Tristaris quote:

@Blehard quote:

@topler quote:

Even more important then just the purchase alone is the fact of will it be purchasable with gems or as a steam only purchase. This is important because it will be just one more thing that I can't use my already purchased gems on.

IMO - if a player has gems that have already been purchased, that should be available regardless. 

What they are doing is a royal slap in the face to those players who "supported" them and purchased gems. Why even have gems available if you're going to make everything unavailable in that regard?

Completely unethical, and frankly, bull***.

@Tristaris quote:

@Chappyy quote:

@Tristaris quote:

@Blehard quote:

@topler quote:

IMO - if a player has gems that have already been purchased, that should be available regardless. 

What they are doing is a royal slap in the face to those players who "supported" them and purchased gems. Why even have gems available if you're going to make everything unavailable in that regard?

Completely unethical, and frankly, bull***.

Yea I'm done with this game if the heroes will be sold on Steam and not available for gems already purchased. 

@Chappyy quote:

AND if they make both hero slots and new heroes purchasable with in game currency then we can just remove the hero deck without this fear of P2W without it :)

I will keep repeating that the Hero Deck has nothing to do with P2W. The hero deck is a system in the game that people do not like but it has no bearing on things that are P2W or not.

Hero slots and the hero itself are the only items in this discussion that define if Trendy is going P2W or not.  

People that have this fear of the Hero deck being P2W are sadly misinformed.

@Argick quote:

@Chappyy quote:

I will keep repeating that the Hero Deck has nothing to do with P2W. The hero deck is a system in the game that people do not like but it has no bearing on things that are P2W or not.

Hero slots and the hero itself are the only items in this discussion that define if Trendy is going P2W or not.  

People that have this fear of the Hero deck being P2W are sadly misinformed.

Well they do intertwine.

If you have 4 heroes.  You start with 4 slots.

New heroes are released. Lets go a year ahead. We got 10 heroes.

New players has only 4 slots. 

Each of these heroes will not be 100% balanced. Or maybe they will, since it seems anything fun in the game is getting nerfed, so I might be wrong.

Anyway, fun or not. Balanced or "balanced". 

There will always be heroes more powerful than others. And having to delete a hero to play with another.

It's not pay to win ofc, but its on the border of it. 

Personally I have 15k gems waiting to spend on new heroes. If they are 1k a pop I wont complain. 

I don't care if they want to charge for new heroes. But If they want to claim "NO P2W" . They cannot have their honey and dip i too. 

You only get to have one.

I want more fun in the game, as is it's not that many fun things in it. 

When I say fun, I mean fun game play, fun loot, fun maps that are open to multiple strategies. 

Chasing 1% better loot is not fun, Trendy making builds that are either X or Z is not fun.

Fun comes from player choice. Universal stats, the never ever ending want for defence speed back.

So on and so on. 

I would want to make my own BUILD/STRATEGY  with the tools trendy could of made / make in t he future. 

I don't want them to make the builds for me.

@PandynatorDD quote:

Yea I'm done with this game if the heroes will be sold on Steam and not available for gems already purchased. 

I completely agree. You can have steam packs to sell but you must sell the same packs at the equivalent gem price  for those loyal customers who have already supported you.

@PandynatorDD quote

Well they do intertwine.

As I said previously in the thread if they release a new hero for free and they require you to purchase a hero slot or vice versa and there is no in game way to purchase then it's P2W.

The hero deck itself does not involve P2W in anyway. The Hero Deck is a system that limits the amount of heroes you can take into a match with you. It's a limitation that is highly contested. 

Taking your year ahead example of 10 heroes. If there are not 10 hero slots available to purchase ingame at that time along side gems if they wish then we have a P2W problem. However if they are available in game then new players have 4 slots with the ability to purchase 6 more when they want to. No deleting heroes, No P2W.

Again this is all depending on what Trendy decides to do.

I don't mind them selling new heroes if they leave a way to earn them through gameplay.... in this case with tokens. This way all happy since many players will rush to buy one as soon as possible... some might not .Summoner_minimap_icon_c.png

Idunno, it just doesn't sit right with me that players won't be able to start the game fresh and be able to run through their first character as the abyss lord. I am personally not a fan of the fact that the new heroes are going to be monetized.