Sign in to follow this  
Nodens

After the latest patch I'm getting close to fed up with the direction this game is taking.

Or as a subtitle: "Farming players for cash." or "How you go from a great game, to a mediocre one in order to increase revenue". Take your pick.

Everything that is wrong with this game is everything that differentiates it from Dungeon Defenders 1.

Meaning:

a)The Hero Deck. It is awful, restricting, makes it impossible to solo high difficulty if you need to do so, makes you go in and out on multiplayer as people join up who have what you need but..not in their deck. Hey we all left our purge monks out of the deck. The moment you decide to bring your monk, no one has whatever else is missing...

b) The match creation/joining system. Old DD1 was just great. The current one is a mess.

c) No bank, selling inventory space and generating content that clutters inventory space. Consumables are now in the game, yeah!! NOT.

d) Loot went from huge amounts or interesting loot, item sets, etc (DD1) to loot that only allow cookie cutter builds (forget hybrids folks).

e) Tedious monthlies. Seriously 50 pet affection levels? 600 waves? Leveling pets you don't need on maps that generate loot that you don't need. Yeah!! You're a casual gamer? Have a job? Family? Tough luck buddy.

f) Timers on eggs. What for? Inventory clutter. Buy bags, buy gems.

g) Did I mention separate pet inventory? Buy more bags and gems.

e) Overpriced skins/models, yeah! 4800 gems to show your support and buy a new character model. Wait, I already showed my support with the collector's edition and the awakened pack. You obviously need even more support. Yet because I missed the "promotion" (which also required buying!) I can't be recognized as a DD1 veteran. Shows how much you support me, the player that's been loyal to you and already supported you with lots of money although they smelled the direction this was going for. I didn't want the gems that came with the promotion, I only wanted the title. It's the first game ever that I see requiring a payment for giving you a title recognizing you as a veteran from the previous game (and I collect games for over 25 years--1035 games 872 DLCs owned currently on Steam alone). Every game out there that offers such title, all they require is you owning the previous title (which of course I own, with all available DLCs). And I own 2 of copies with all the DLCs, not one. Because I played it with my other half.

f) Overpriced skins for pets that you gamble your money on. Yes, I can't even buy the skin I like and apply it to the pet I farmed for. I have to buy/spend gems to transform eggs to get random quality that may or may not have the elemental damage I want. Ad infinitum.

g) Here comes the carnival event. Offering a wheel that drops up to 700ipwr legendaries (at least not like the useless shops that cap at 550) with bad combinations of stats and..inventory clutter. Masks(see head skins) that you don't even get to keep, they're consumable and serve as inventory clutter. Either you use them up immediately/sell them or if you want to save them, buy even more gems/bags. While the good part of the event requires..gems again!

h) We now know there will be many more heroes coming up! Heroes that you have to buy space for. And skins for. With.. gems! The perpetual carrot. You wanted a MOBA element to this game exactly for this reason, the community of old DD1 players said no and you backed off, yet you kept the MOBA carrot in the game, new heros every other week, new skins for the new heroes, new things to buy gems for. Ad infinitum. Yet, the existing heroes have useless towers, bad combinations and there are only cookie-cutter builds viable. But sure, lets get more heroes because strategy and tower defense is not the point. The point is having new heroes and new skins every month so we have something to spend gems on.

I could go on. And I'm sorry for the sarcastic tone in my post but I feel that this way it gets the message across much better. We played DD1 because it was a fun game of tower defense with FPS elements that required strategy as well. This game is turning into the mindless perpetual money making machine that defines games like League of Legends etc. I have already deeply regretted that I supported this title but obviously the romantic in me, smothered the cynical critic and hoped that it would not go this way after all.

I have already paid a lot for DD2, but from now on I will not spend another cent on it UNLESS it changes business model, or at least adds a SINGULAR pay-once-for-everything option and addresses the real issues with the game instead of creating perpetual carrots. Fix all existing heroes so that they all have viable tools with synergies with each other and provide content updates in terms of new maps etc that require strategy instead of things that constantly require gems or indirectly just cause an influx of revenue. 

EVERYTHING that was fun in DD1 is missing from DD2 or has turned into something that generates revenue.

This report/review will go up on steam as well as my negative review, addressed to the players of DD1 that may have not yet experienced this, in order to perhaps save them from the frustration and disappointment that I personally experienced.

Only thing I don`t agree on is monthly. 20 waves a day? Maybe toned down a bit, 14 or sg. But it`s definitely not THAT harsh. 5 Daily bonuses net you at least 25 waves to compare, max 35.

Otherwise yeah, it`s an incomplete game focusing on microtransactions instead of core mechanics and game balance. Already paid more money than for a complete AAA game and why? I wasn`t incentivised by giving me cool cosmetic options to support a game that is awesome and I like. I payed cos the default heroes slot amount made me crazy. And the Inventory space made me crazy. And just now for the first time I just HAD to buy a skin finally cos the friggin hearts on my supposedly badarx tank squire drove me crazy.

League may feel like a mindless moneymaking machine but at least you can earn everything by playing except cosmetics. 4 hero slots if you have 4 toons with 20 builds total isn`t cosmetics. Bag space while you intentionally clutter our inventory with all sorts of trash is again NOT cosmetics.
An ugly as hell red hearts shirt on my tank? THAT is cosmetics. Plus I could`av bought keys for tokens instead and RNGd a decent chest for him.

Making your players give you money cos otherwise your game will drive them crazy on quality of life issues is going to alienate your playerbase.

Doing cashgrab events instead of serious overhauls just feels greedy and corporate. Again, people will go away.

Not able to multiply 6-10 tower numbers between 1.2 and 2.0 to make them playable until a further patch when you balance them in a non-dmg way? Same with heroes? Not going across as "caring for play quality".

Just now they buffed LSA and HCT. Logged in, slammed down LSA, yaaay, noncrit dps on par with cannon, awesome. I only went 3 centimeters down to check if it`s on par critdmg-wise and voila. Nop. How hard is it to take two single target towers and make their noncrit dps and crit dps equal multiplied by range difference and DU cost? Come on man. Not that simple? JUST DO IT and come back to tweaking it later. Don`t leave it abysmal. HCT was tweaked several times over several months. How is not making its dps appropriate to its DU cost NOT the first thing you do? Just wow, man.

@Sogron quote:League may feel like a mindless moneymaking machine but at least you can earn everything by playing except cosmetics.

Actually according to my estimates it's impossible to get everything in league without paying... It would take longer than your life. 10,000 hours for one full set or runes... I took one look at that game and nope.

@braydon180 quote:

ctually according to my estimates it's impossible to get everything in league without paying... It would take longer than your life. 10,000 hours for one full set or runes... I took one look at that game and nope.

Never looked at it that way and it may be right, however, if something really bugs you you can work on that. In DD2 I can`t work on inventory space and even Wyvern tokens are seriously limited so I can`t even power farm to get ubers and lockbox keys. I see a big difference between the 2 games.

Neither are run by the red cross however, that`s certainly true.

I have to agree with a lot said in this post. Feels like they're trying to push the "support us! Buy our stuff!" angle WAAAY too hard. Its as if they feel that if they don't dangle a new shiny 12 dollar (or 40 dollar, in this case) costume in our faces, we're going to lose interest and go away. Especially when pushing out new heroes, meaning us having to buy the hero, and buy a new hero slot just to hold them, then more costumes for that hero. It especially drives me crazy when not all heroes (at the moment) are DPS worthy, so I personally feel like buying a costume for someone I'm only going to use/see for 15-30 seconds at the beginning of a match is a waste of money.

The premium pet thing absolutely drove me up a wall. Back when I got mine, I didn't know that not only will they most likely be a lower tier pet, but also will most likely NOT have that special skill they were advertised to have.

Lastly the hero deck. There's nothing I can really say that already hasn't been said. Its a really weird idea that I'm not sure how they even came up with that in the first place. DD2 is definitely feeling like a shadow of DD1.

@braydon180 quote:

Actually according to my estimates it's impossible to get everything in league without paying... It would take longer than your life. 10,000 hours for one full set or runes... I took one look at that game and nope.

Wait what lol. I'm plat in League and I've only ever spent money on cosmetics, never on iP boosts or anything. I had enough iP for 3 rune pages and the runes to fill them within my first year of playing, and I wasn't even playing that often. Just be sure to get your first win of the day every day.

@thegreekman2 quote:

Spent over 1000h of league have near everything right about now only missing 1 rune page. I'm also plat, so don't pull that card

Was this aimed at me? There's no merit in arguing that League is a pay-to-win game. It's the most "free" F2P I've ever played, and arguably the most successful game in gaming history. There's no argument to be held against the game's monetary systems, as they're incredibly successful.

It was aimed at this comment.
@braydon180 quote:

@braydon180 quote:

@Sogron quote:League may feel like a mindless moneymaking machine but at least you can earn everything by playing except cosmetics.

10,00 hours what? I haven't played that game in a long time but i played when it first came out till a little after season 2 and i had a (the best tier) full set of runes for every role in the game and i doubt i have more then 400 hours if even that on it. I also was able to buy any champion i wanted. So unless they dramatically changed the way the game works 10,000 hours for a full set of ruins is wildly  incorrect.

I am glad someone took the time to sum up all the things currently wrong with the game.

Definitely agree.

Could not agree more I bought this because I thought it was going to be DD1 updated but I turned out to be wrong now its gear system is horrible they even removed speed from gear/even obtainable +50 from specs isn't enough =/=. Can't sell / trade items and this queuing system is horrible making rooms where people join was much better imo. So many maps and difficultys and modes its almost impossible to find a room in the higher levels because no one is queuing for your exact room. Change my positive steam review to a negative for now.

@Nodens quote:

EVERYTHING that was fun in DD1 is missing from DD2 or has turned into something that generates revenue.

You said here exactly what I am feeling and and I am sure many others.  

I have stayed in the hope and out of admiration for DD1 that the DEVS would come through and bring us a worthy sequel.  But it's not going to happen.

This game should be called something else because it is an injustice to DD1 to be associated with it.

R.I.P. DD1 your spirit was true and is sorely missed.

e) Tedious monthlies. Seriously 50 pet affection levels? 600 waves? Leveling pets you don't need on maps that generate loot that you don't need. Yeah!! You're a casual gamer? Have a job? Family? Tough luck buddy.

I agree with this. I'm okay with sme previous ones like "kill 30 ogres" or "finish 20 incursion maps" since it could be done by just playing and such. Some of the last ones were just tedious to do.

f) Timers on eggs. What for? Inventory clutter. Buy bags, buy gems.

Timers on eggs are cool. They're there to get shellium shards and not have eggs wasted (you can sell eggs, make pets or wait to get shards, they're free items you don't have to farm, so eh).

Eggs not stacking, pet food not stacking and/or needing a separate, limited pet bag is poop, though.

The greatest thing about DD1 was how over the top it was. Turrets that could fire faster than you could blink, auras the size of the smaller maps and still maintained a sense of balance because unless you were constantly monitoring everything you would still get rekt even when you had the best gear in the game in Nightmare Hardcore.

OP knows whats up. The entirety of DD1 was what made it mind blowing to play, When my friend told me about it and said it was a TD game i was kinda eh at first because im not big on TD games but its the only TD game to grab my attention for 1000+ hours and never once got boring. It was over the top gameplay and beautiful art style that captivated us to play it into the wee hours of the morning.

DD2 is far from this. Very far from this. DD2 has its good points but when it comes to the definition of DD it is far from being what DD1 was. Lacking in huge ways just from the loot alone. Loot in DD2 is far far far too static. The lack of basic stats replaced by mostly useless passives (like tower range and speed which are completely useless compared to other passives and should be brought back as basic stats.)

Pets are mostly useless. They're virtually all the same outside of utility. You wont find pets that do incredible things while others being mediocre and others being useless.

Item levels? I have yet to find a massive variety in item levels. Wheres the gear that has 10 max levels and the same one dropping with different stats and having 250+ max levels?

DD2 needs alot of work if it wants to live up to DD1. At this point its just a game made for the casual.