Some thoughts about the game and Carnival event

I've been out for a while. Haven't played DD2 since 1st half of december and been away from the forums for a while, due to the changes on moderation approach.

Yesterday I decided to take a look in forums to check changes and see if I should reinstall the game. Saw Carnival event is comming soon and, today, I decided to take a closer look at it. Found this link:

http://dragonfallcarnival.dungeondefenders2.com/

First of all, I haven't seen changes concerning the premium pets. Premium pet system was criticized by a lot of people due to its randomness and I saw bunches of posts saying "it would be p2w if they all were legendary". I always disagreed, since it is pretty easy to get legendary pets, but no changes came (at least I am not aware of changes). To my surprise, I see carnival pets will always roll legendary, but I see no word on changing the premium pet system.

That said, I won't be feedbacking what I didn't see yet (and don't even know if I will), but I have some concerns about what I've read.

1- Gambling "boxes". You gotta pay 150g for a chance of getting a prize. 7 new pets + costumes + other stuff. I am usually the kind of guy that doesn't mind spending a few bucks in a game and who likes collecting stuff. Actually, I usually spend a decent ammount of money in games, DD2 included. But all this random exclusive limited time crap bothers me a lot. I don't know what you mean with the "or sneak in for free" part, so that might not be as bad as it looks. But it looks pretty bad.

2- 4800 gems for a costume. I wouldn't mind spending 4800 gems for a costume, even considering it is greedy as hell. But since we are having both costumes at ridiculous prizes AND gambling boxes, that bothers me a lot. All the "show support" speech is also pretty terrible, but I would support the devs, as I did in the past, if (big IF) they were moving the game in the right direction, but it seems they are not (not to mention it is one of the ugliest costumes released so far, if not the worst). It is a funny feeling when you are trying to decide if you will reinstall the game and see the company begging for money. You earn money, you don't beg for it. Putting more efforts in milking the player base instead of improving the game doesn't make me feel impelled to spend any more money. Actually, after reading the aforementioned post, I don't even feel impelled to install the game again.

Finally, I haven't decided yet if I will or will not come back. What I have decided is that I won't be spending more money on this game (I spent a few hundreds in the past and still have 20k+ gems, though). That means you shouldn't care about my feedback, since you won't see any more of my hard earned cash. Or maybe it means you should, since you are losing money for not paying attention to what your customers say. Anyway, the game is yours, it is your call. Maybe it is more profitable to ignore loyal customers and focus in the new players. It all comes to business and green numbers after all and I understand and respect that.

Hey, Underlander. It's so good to hear from you. I've missed your posts around here. You and the other vocal members of the Defense Council were pivotal in helping us in the early days of the game when the balance was swung deep to hero DPS and our Loot system was only relics. You will always have our gratitude for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

In regards to the Bling Wheel, it's not a gamble. You get one item every time you spin the wheel. No duplicates. If you get 16 Passes, you'll get all 16 items. It's just a fun way of presenting it. Since it'll take you a few hours to do all of your runs, it's supposed to be a "which one will I get now" kind of vibe.

As for the Guardian of Fire Huntress Costume, we know quite a few people who are sitting on a ton of gems who want something they can only get with gems. It's a way of giving people who have already supported us by purchasing the Collector's Pack (10,000 gems) and maybe a few other packs who want to purchase something to show that support. We think a few other people might buy it, too. Who knows. It's an experiment to see what happens. If it doesn't succeed, lesson learned. But if it does succeed, it means we're able to do more for the game.

I wish I had a time machine to go to the end of the year so I could see how people feel about what we're going to accomplish in 2016. I think people will be very happy with where Dungeon Defenders II is going and just how much player input is impacting those plans, just like it has since the Council days. We can't do everything that everybody wants us to do, but I hope that people enjoy what does happen. 

I hope you'll check us out later this year. And don't be a stranger.

Regards,
Josh

@Underlander quote: Maybe it is more profitable to ignore loyal customers and focus in the new players. It all comes to business and green numbers after all and I understand and respect that.

That's exactly what it feels like atm and the reason I stopped playing for now.

All this new aesthetic content is a welcomed addition, but only after the core issues have been addressed and a solid foundation has been set.

I feel atm Trendy has forgotten that.

[[10046,hashtags]]

Im also done coming back later in the year, seems good to play the game for 2weeks every 3-6months or so.

@iamisom quote:

Hey, Underlander. It's so good to hear from you. I've missed your posts around here. You and the other vocal members of the Defense Council were pivotal in helping us in the early days of the game when the balance was swung deep to hero DPS and our Loot system was only relics. You will always have our gratitude for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

In regards to the Bling Wheel, it's not a gamble. You get one item every time you spin the wheel. No duplicates. If you get 16 Passes, you'll get all 16 items. It's just a fun way of presenting it. Since it'll take you a few hours to do all of your runs, it's supposed to be a "which one will I get now" kind of vibe.

As for the Guardian of Fire Huntress Costume, we know quite a few people who are sitting on a ton of gems who want something they can only get with gems. It's a way of giving people who have already supported us by purchasing the Collector's Pack (10,000 gems) and maybe a few other packs who want to purchase something to show that support. We think a few other people might buy it, too. Who knows. It's an experiment to see what happens. If it doesn't succeed, lesson learned. But if it does succeed, it means we're able to do more for the game.

I wish I had a time machine to go to the end of the year so I could see how people feel about what we're going to accomplish in 2016. I think people will be very happy with where Dungeon Defenders II is going and just how much player input is impacting those plans, just like it has since the Council days. We can't do everything that everybody wants us to do, but I hope that people enjoy what does happen. 

I hope you'll check us out later this year. And don't be a stranger.

Regards,
Josh

Well, if it works like this (no dupes), it is better than I expected. Actually, it is a very fair way of handling gambling boxes: if you want all, you get all. If you want only one or two, you can get lucky and spend only 300 or even if you are the unluckiest guy on Earth you will at least know the max you will need to spend. Unlike premium pets.

Concerning the 4800g costume, people who have g's (like me, sitting on more than 20,000) would certainly prefer spending 1200 in 4 costumes than 4800 in a single one. That sounds like a cheap way of milking players.

I'll keep an eye on the game to see what happens. When I saw this "marketplace" thing, first thing I thought was "wow, finally we will have trade, I gotta take a look at this". I was disappointed when I saw there is still no trading.

Another thing: I hope monthly rewards and seasonal cosmetics won't be "once in a lifetime" stuff, but maybe "once in a year", specially pets and costumes. Anyway, I will be checking the game every once in a while and feedbacking when I see something that looks very bad or very good.

Downloading the game.

This is why I never liked the f2p concept and then pay for nearly everything.

All games should be 50-80$ period, no more money given except for maybe BIG DLC's that comes out 6 months to a year later around 10$.

@iamisom quote:It's a way of giving people who have already supported us by purchasing the Collector's Pack (10,000 gems) and maybe a few other packs who want to purchase something to show that support.

That sentence don't make sense to me.

We have already bought the pack around 40$ (I think) to show support but we need to spend another tons of gems to "really show" our support????

No matter how rich one is, I hope the community decides not to waste their money on overpriced skins...if they do - then consider expensive skins to become the norm. You are only doing yourselves a disservice in the long run by telling Trendy it is okay to rip you off and milk you hard.

Having purchased the collectors edition with a few thousand gems to spare, I sincerely hope that more affordable content is released instead. Setting such a price is massive turn off imo. 

Actually I do like the carnival skins and I would definitely purchase a while skin just to be able to use these carnival skins with the skeleton heads. Oh wait...

@Some random guy quote:

People who buy those will just been laughed at and called idiots in game for spending so much for costumes.

I mean seriously, its obvious that will happened.

really? Didn't know that there are so many mean people out there. I would say nice skin =). 

Kinda everyone can decite what they use their money for right? And I think a skin is absolut fine too. Some people buying drugs or smoking. Some are buying food, some are buying materials to craft something, some invest in whatever they are interested, some in game and some into skins. And honestly I think it is fine if someone buys it, i would still adore it if i see someone with it, even though i will not buy it. Simple because I have already the one skin I really like. Gobu. Emoji_Goblin.png+Emoji_Huntress.png=Emoji_Kobalt.png

Though i am only a goblin and get often laughed at, but i am happy that in my tiny life i can bring someone some enjoyment. But never forget laughter is just part of slaughter.

I'm debating buying the skin

I bought the collecters edition (was a huge fan of DD1) and i still have 8k gems im sitting on so why not. Not like theres much else to do with gems

After getting the collectors edition, and the account having the stuff from over christmas or whenever it was I just find it an absolute joke that I'd need to fork over 40$ worth of gems in order to "support" the devs even more when over 150 bucks has already been thrown at the account in question. 

I will NOT be getting the skin at that price, and if someone wants to continue throwing money into into a game that isn't worth 25$ full price, then by all means. I can get a lot more enjoyment out of my money elsewhere than that. Until there are more quality changes, I'm not throwing money anymore. Taking the costumes too far, too soon IMO. 

Not going to try to convince someone else not to do so, but I find it hilarious that anyone would continue to support that when there are much more pressing issues with the game than yet another costume.

@Tristaris quote:

...when there are much more pressing issues with the game than yet another costume.

Everyone at Trendy agrees with you. Everyone. While some of the team worked on the Carnival, most of us have been busy hammering away at Hero Deck updates, Matchmaking changes and working on our first new hero, the Abyss Lord. Like we said in our Roadmap blog, one of our biggest focuses this year is improving existing features. Dan mentioned Pets V2 in the Devstream, and I've seen some documents on what an Onslaught V2 would look like (nothing approved, finalized or scheduled for Onslaught V2, but it's baller, and I hope it gets onto the schedule).

Changes are coming. 

If carneval will give items based on ipwr that are purchased with gems , this is gonna be basically P2W game in eyes of free users so :p that would suck and on top of that, its temporary, not pernament.

@Sperminator quote:

If carneval will give items based on ipwr that are purchased with gems , this is gonna be basically P2W game in eyes of free users so :p that would suck and on top of that, its temporary, not pernament.

u didnt see or just read

The Red Tickets can be get from Drops in every map and they Have the Legendary stuff, Cosumables, Mask etc..

The Golden one its the one u need to buy to Spin the "Bling Wheel" who only Have Costumes

and tell me How a PvE (Coop Game) can be a Pay 2 Win ????