Sign in to follow this  
Gunghoe

with every passing month, I grow more and more.

Like the game isn't designed for long term players, only the short term and to shuffle the veterans out, and hope new players will buy more of the DLC packs. This is accented by the gems that you can buy in game are worth MUCH LESS than fresh money. It feels like especially with exclusive offers, to the people that have bought things with fresh new money get more things for less. I understand you need more money flow but the fact that 25 dollars worth of gems will get you less than 25 dollars for the pack. this offset makes me think you don't like old players that supported you with large sum of upfront money when you had to buy the game. For example the awakening pack costs more value of gems than you get for just buying it when it was 25 bucks. (excluding the extra gems.) 

The exclusive extra bags that you can't buy with gems if you reached the limit.

I have come to the conclusion you don't like old players that sunk money on the gems, even more so you don't make end game enjoyable because of a myriad of design choices. There is a reason why it's becoming dagerously close to the number of players that existed before free to play came out. And over charging the people that pre-paid for gems, giving them the shaft. is one of those things,. 

Besides all of that, here is my actual game design issues I have with the game. which seem like are never on the top priority of things to do. 

The core concept of the balance of the game should be if there was no such thing as hearty blockade for squire. With this balance pass that should be done, just throw the whole idea that there is such a thing as a hearty blockade build squire. 

I am excited to play with the abyssal lord. But however, Designing a new hero when the four that are already in the game already have major issues that are unresolved. Adding the hero may in fact fix some of the stale game-play but when you guys designed the game to live and die by the squire's barricade. I know exactly what he will do, more offensive strategy. Which is fun and all but the preventing the enemies to get to the core is boring, no matter what offensive strategy you may have with the new hero will be lack luster.

You nerf any thing that might resemble something that can effectively replace the squires towers so that you must use the squire's barricade. Such as the stun that the water spout and the lightning aura. The slow effect with the healing aura is also abysmal. The slowing effect ON THE TOWER WITH ONLY SLOWING effect is terrible. This whole balance relies to heavily on the SQUIRE'S barricade. leaving that One slot that would be nice to have something that makes you play your way, is played by the hearty blockade squire gear.

How I suggest to fix this is that one of a few things could happen or all of the things could happen

Any tower that can CC needs to be stronger, and more effective with it's CC. This isn't a PvP game where it's annoying to be stun locked and killed. This is FUN which is why so many PvP RPGs do this. and have to fix it. There should be more than one way to defend the core with OUT barricades that the squire uses. I don't want to HAVE to make a hearty blockade squire.

You can fix this because clearly this is how you balance the game is by the hearty blockade squire is get rid of the ability all together and build it into the hero. Don't MAKE US farm gear that we HAVE to have on a certain character to make it worth while. Sure it's fun to be "that" guy that spent hours to get half a million HP on the blockade.  But for many people it's a requirement to have this hero in the deck. Because of this it isn't as fun to play with. Because now you have to get DPS some other place. 

The current mine meta only requires you to level 3 heroes, the squire, the huntress and the apprentice.  This is one of the best ways and the quickest way to start farming harder difficulties. it IS the path of least resistance. Adding something like the summoner will not change this. Likely the summoner (abyssal lord.) will likely be just another optional guy to play around with like the monk is currently. 

The monk needs a buff the damage, is minor, compared to the other heroes, he is only good in select builds and still requires one certain build with the apprentice to work which is better done now with the huntress. You can fix this by making his healing aura also slow MUCH MORE THAN the measily amount that that set offers. You could even just get rid of this whole tower that heals and make it the slow aura that is worth while and buffs the defenses with in the new slow aura. 

Stuns are fun in PvE games, you should have things that would be able to replace just the pure tankiness that is the squire hearty blockade build, because this is so required that this will make the game less organic and interesting.You can't start higher difficulties till you have a good squire ether in your deck or in the team. 

Do not be afraid to have stuns, and slows actually stun and slow enough for the traps and other things to do their work on even the tougher enemies. because the tougher enemies are so hard to kill by the time it gets towards the core and they will likely have 80-90% of their life by the time they reach it. You are just sitting there repairing the squires barricade. which makes it not engaging to play, it is a huge mana sink so you will likely never get the upgrades needed unless the squire's barricade is good enough.

Balancing this game as if every map should be a tank and spank is boring. that's why people go like "it's just a tank and spank" when it comes to a lot of different bosses in MMORPGs it is easy. it is just a gear check the only thing this game is lacking to be the purest gear-check imaginable is also rage timers.

So if you do 

Make CC worth while with towers that can CC. It isn't a PvP game where it's annoying to lose control of your character.

Make the monk a better or similar choice to use and give him better utility (by making worth while slows.) than the huntress.

Make more than one worth while build for the squire and if that means you have to take the hearty barricade out of the game to do this, and make it built in with in the hero do so. Because required class with a required build is boring.

A new hero may be too soon because of these stand out issues.  That have not been resolved. 

Enemies hit for way too much damage, or they have too much life. this makes the requirement for the barricade build too needed.

Above is for balance BELOW IS FOR THE AMAZING IDEA THAT THEY SHOULDN'T DO.

Is make a mode that both doesn't reward, and gives gear to players so they can do the challenge with out having to have the gear.

it is nice that we can play with each other regardless of iLVL. But that whole point of making this game have yet another mod will split the player-base all together and not actually fix the problem at hand, NO ONE GROUPS in normal play where you can progress. this make the game boring and for me harder to want to log in. I enjoyed this game because of the community, but with the player base now going to be split a 6th time with a player base that doesn't support it. It is no good. I should be good for this one time for the even't but look at it like a band-aid. 

The fact that you guys think that grouping players into a system that doesn't reward for the time played other than for the cosmetics is rather short sighted. having NM1-4 is your issue and how you balanced them is why people would rather level up the 3-5 heroes so they can experience the game themselves. With the hassle of knowing that  they will likely have to build anyway. Cause chances are if you don't have that "squire build" in your deck, and he never comes you will have to leave to tavern to get yours.

This will not fix the issue outright, because having a game mode that doesn't have progression is a loss for the player they would rather keep hitting their head on the one or two maps that they can. The progression to being able to complete and chill out and do NM4 is slower than most of the latest MMORPGs This isn't something a company that is making a tower defense ARPG should strive for. 

And when I played after the patch that should have fixed gear, You decided to make the legendaries and mythics not worth using till you get a lucky 95% or higher on your percentile dice.  The game should be always rewarding to play, NM1-4 should be difficulties not progression levels. NM1 should be able to reward a guy with gear that can complete NM4, but NM4 should have the best chances for the best gear, and NM1 should have the worst chances for the best gear out of the four nightmare difficulty levels.

I like that you keep coming out with new content. I like the new events. But they won't have me playing till you actually understand the core issues with the game and address them. 

I fear that they will not fix the game.  I fear that this game will end up dying and all support dropped. I fear that this game that could be great is in a bad situation with how they make money sure ethically where you don't buy power but terribly in real life ethics such as giving new people that put fresh money an advantage over people that got the collectors edition and will get less value for the 75 dollar value. There is other issues that arise when they refuse to look at balance but keep adding content. On top of that they are planning on adding a new hero with out having the game fixed balance wise. 

AGAIN THE CORE CONCEPT OF THE GAME SHOULD NOT BE BALANCED AROUND ONE BUILD, WHEN YOU DO A BALANCE PASS THROW OUT THE IDEA THAT THERE IS A HEARTY BLOCKADE BUILD. A REQUIRED BUILD IS NOT A GOOD DESIGN DECISION. 

ps. DON'T MAKE AN ITEM DROP THAT WOULDN'T BE WORTH USING THAT IS PURPLE OR LEGENDARY, THESE LEGENDARIES CAN BE LEGENDARY! BUT DON'T MAKE ANY OF THESE TIERS OF ITEMS SO RNG THAT THEY WILL LIKELY NOT BE EQUIPPED.

That is a long post... I'll agree with you that the core issues need to be worked on instead of filler content like maps, instead things like skill spheres, ubers, passives, & tower balance need some major work. 

I also agree that the geyser doesn't stun long enough, they overnerfed the thing & have never bothered readjusting it :(    Though I expect more cc stuff when they work on the combo system something that does need some loving as does many other things.

Now to play the devils advocate. 

Squire blockades are not needed, both the squire dummy & arcane barrier are valid with the harbinger weapons, even the pdt could be valid according the recent discussion about it. Should also mention that cannons can be quite powerful & are exceptionally useful against harbinger.

Serenity slow should also not be terribly high, why? Well if slowed by lets say 50% then everyone would use it & still end up using walls, it'd just become mandatory. On the topic of monks, lightning auras are perfectly viable atm & are very nice with a decent crit build, just not widely used because elemental chaos.

Enemies too tough? Too much health? Spike blockades needed? I think not! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZGB1q6GdnA

Anyway nice post, touched upon some big issues with dd2. hopefully they'll be mostly fixed in half a year.

@topler quote:Enemies too tough? Too much health? Spike blockades needed? I think not! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZGB1q6GdnA

So...a specific group of 4 classes with extremely high end, hard-to-farm gear being able to pull that off means "Spike blockades are not needed"? Haha, no. Just because an extremely specific squad layout can do it doesn't make the importance of spike blockades and 600k hp burrowers any less significant.

@topler quote:Squire blockades are not needed, both the squire dummy & arcane barrier are valid with the harbinger weapons,

Yet I don't see much, if any at all, of those 2 being used over squire blockades. Blockades will always be the go-to for holding off enemy advances.

1) Dummy and arcande barrier can't have automation, which means slightly less survivability.

2) 5% chance to teleport enemy is too low a number to be reliable in prolonging dummy's survivability.

3) Even with Harbinger weapon's boost, the dummy's HP can't reach as high as blockades do, and why invest in dummies and constantly have to be on top of repairing it lest it dies in moments when you can invest in traps/blaze balloons/LAs and prevent enemies from even reaching the blockade. Those don't even need constant repairing either.

I'm pretty sure I saw a video out there showing the use of dummies in nm4 ramparts IIRC, but from the looks of it, it seems too stressful and little-room-for-error to be considered practical, not to mention the amount of mana wasted on constantly repairing it.

Hopefully you and the rest of the community will enjoy the core changes we have planned for this year (they go far beyond the Hero Deck and Matchmaking).

@iamisom quote:

Hopefully you and the rest of the community will enjoy the core changes we have planned for this year (they go far beyond the Hero Deck and Matchmaking).

Stop baiting us and spill those beans.. =P

@MegaHamster7 quote:
@iamisom quote:

Trust me:  The moment that I have details to share, you'll hear them. Emoji_Huntress.png

@MegaHamster7 quote:
@iamisom quote:

Now i am getting hungry, gobu.

@iamisom quote:

It really is totally ridiculous that you say all this stuff about how we're supposedly influencing the game, and that's the reason for early access, but we never hear anything from you guys at Trendy at all. I've seen released games where the community had way more influence.

@--E@T TH3M!-- quote:

@topler quote:Enemies too tough? Too much health? Spike blockades needed? I think not! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZGB1q6GdnA

So...a specific group of 4 classes with extremely high end, hard-to-farm gear being able to pull that off means "Spike blockades are not needed"? Haha, no. Just because an extremely specific squad layout can do it doesn't make the importance of spike blockades and 600k hp burrowers any less significant.

@topler quote:Squire blockades are not needed, both the squire dummy & arcane barrier are valid with the harbinger weapons,

snip

I could not agree more here. I get so fed up with the "lulz I've farmed this game for 1k hours and me and my 3 other frands have the best gear possible, walls arent necessary! lol!" nonsense. 

If you've lived on this game like some here have, of COURSE you're going to have badass gear and it's going to be a cakewalk.

If I put in the hours, and eventually was able to steamroll the content, I wouldn't ***. I'd be pretty happy that my hours in game weren't wasted. 

The game is not fine as it is. The game needs to change, the numbers that are playing aren't lying. There are less people playing every week outside of patch drops (then it continues to drop again.) Should trendy try to maintain 20+thousand concurrent players constantly? I don't think so. But when you lose people consistently and can't maintain peoples interest, things should be changed. And I hope that the changes they have laid out for this year are good because I *want* the game to succeed.