Sign in to follow this  
Tristaris

Am I the only one who is hesitant about new Heroes?

Don't get me wrong about the title, new heroes would be nice, and it'll be a nice change of pace especially in regards to providing more variety than we've been stuck with, but it doesn't come without concerns...

I can't recall where it was posted, but if I recall correctly, isn't each hero going to have a price tag? I am not that thrilled about it, honestly. I feel that the game as a core has many more issues (and throwing heroes at it, just feels like it's compounding on that fact.) Also, I feel that it kind of goes against the "no advantages being sold for money" portion. If it were hero skins, it'd be differently, but a whole new set of towers kind of does provide an in game advantage. Right? How would it not? 

Let me put it this way, you cannot buy a guaranteed legendary pet for money, due to it being an advantage, but a totally new hero, is different? I'd love to know the thought process behind this. I'm not complaining about a price tag, because hey, I believe it's good to support a company (hell, my account has quite a bit of money in it, and there still isn't anything in regards to the tower skins...)

Maybe I'm wrong in it, maybe some heroes will be free, but I thought in a devstream that it was stated they would be paid, and I'm not liking it.

Anyone care to clarify? I'm open to the thought process behind it. 

PS: http://www.twitch.tv/trendyent/v/34334952

50 minute mark when they are talking about whether or not heroes will be paid or free.

@Tristaris quote:

I can't recall where it was posted, but if I recall correctly, isn't each hero going to have a price tag?

I'd love to see your source on this, because from my recollection Trendy has stated a ton of times that new heroes will always be free. 

Until heavy cannonball tower is balanced, they shouldn't be adding more weights to the scale.

http://www.twitch.tv/trendyent/v/34334952

50 minute mark when they are talking about whether or not heroes will be paid or free.

Doesn't sound like every hero will be free based on that, to me.

@gigazelle quote:
@Tristaris quote:

I can't recall where it was posted, but if I recall correctly, isn't each hero going to have a price tag?

I'd love to see your source on this, because from my recollection Trendy has stated a ton of times that new heroes will always be free. 

I'd venture to say, until EVERYTHING is tuned better, throwing even more into the mix is only going to lead into disaster. (That's just me, though. I'm hoping it isn't the case.)

@Racthoh quote:

Until heavy cannonball tower is balanced, they shouldn't be adding more weights to the scale.

@gigazelle quote:
@Tristaris quote:

Can vaguely remember this as well.

New heroes behind a pay wall, be it bad or good for the game. Would certainly go against their no "P2W" policy. 

Even if ALL HEROES were PERFECTLY balanced, it would be a problem. 

My mouth will go sour if they decide to charge money for heroes. The prices for skins they operate with currently already seem to high to me.

@PandynatorDD quote:

@gigazelle quote:
@Tristaris quote:

New heroes behind a pay wall, be it bad or good for the game. Would certainly go against their no "P2W" policy. 

My mouth will go sour if they decide to charge money for heroes. The prices for skins they operate with currently already seem to high to me.

Absolutely agree with you.

I just find it ridiculous that they won't guarantee a legendary pet, but would consider charging for something as game changing as a Hero? I'm not a game designer, but it doesn't make sense to me.

Lol (@50 min), that's quite the 180.  The people who still believe that developer promises mean something are going to be so disappointed.  Reality catches up with everyone.  Maybe selling a new hero every month is the only way they can keep the operation going if they can't make the game engaging enough to get people to pay for cosmetics.

I'm skeptical they can pull off a lot of the stuff they have planned.  I'd love to be wrong though.  Maybe the new guy knows how to get *** done.  Maybe letting go of the anti-ptw philosophy will allow them to do the things they need to do.

I just don't see how new heroes are NOT a gameplay advantage. 

I know I will be pissed if this goes through though. Based on the prices for costumes right now, I will NOT be paying for "LOTS" of heroes at the *** prices that they would be priced at.

Hope I'm wrong, though. But going from "never any gameplay advantages to be paid for" to "well, we don't know yet.." is quite a turn around.

Hmm I didn't know they where even considering selling hero's, personally I think hero's should always be free or easily unlockable. If anything they should finally push out those tower skins.

I would like to see skill spheres, builds, & ubers looked at, fixed, & in their finished state before going about introducing new hero's. Dunno about anyone else but those systems seem unfinished to me & adding new hero's that heavily rely on those systems seems silly.

Everything is still in the air.  You're having a debate over something not even officially decided and presented to the community yet.  Imo, you're all wasting keystrokes in this thread.

@roboticaust quote:

Everything is still in the air.  You're having a debate over something not even officially decided and presented to the community yet.  Imo, you're all wasting keystrokes in this thread.

Yet you took the time to respond to it.

They OFFICIALLY said, multiple times, no P2W advantages.

They OFFICIALLY SAID they are "unsure" of if they will be paid or free.

That OFFICIALLY throws your argument flat out the window. The fact that they are unsure, SHOULD be of concern. IMO you should troll elsewhere, because you're ignorant.

@Zuqual quote:

Lol (@50 min), that's quite the 180.  The people who still believe that developer promises mean something are going to be so disappointed.  Reality catches up with everyone.  Maybe selling a new hero every month is the only way they can keep the operation going if they can't make the game engaging enough to get people to pay for cosmetics.

I'm skeptical they can pull off a lot of the stuff they have planned.  I'd love to be wrong though.  Maybe the new guy knows how to get *** done.  Maybe letting go of the anti-ptw philosophy will allow them to do the things they need to do.

... People are blowing hundreds of dollars on skins and char slots, if they need more money they should fix the numerous issues so more people will play and blow too much money on it.

@Tristaris quote:

@roboticaust quote:

Yet you took the time to respond to it.

They OFFICIALLY said, multiple times, no P2W advantages.

They OFFICIALLY SAID they are "unsure" of if they will be paid or free.

That OFFICIALLY throws your argument flat out the window. The fact that they are unsure, SHOULD be of concern. IMO you should troll elsewhere, because you're ignorant.

No one even said anything about p2w on their end.  Just have patience and faith please.

I really don't care if new content are free or not.

New heroes, new maps, new toys to play with - couldn't care less if Trendy wants to be paid for all their work. I would buy it instantly without a second thought.

I'm with Woqini on this one, I bought all DLC for DD1 and bought, for my sins, DDE. So I will buy the DLC heroes for DD2.

I am surprised that they haven't just reskinned the summoner as was, it was pretty much perfect in DD1.

As we don't have archers in DD2 maybe they will be replaced by snipers, we have orcs, we don't currently have warriors, we don't have spiders (we need spiders) but we have ogres. Summoning an ogre would be fun, say it has no armour at tier 1 then the armour improves on subsequent tiers.

Do it already

... Theire "actually discussing" something they concluded, confirmed and advertised about already 2 years ago .... WOW!

[[4370,users]]

[[64025,users]]

Can one of you guys come in and tell us that the people on the stream just said something wrong again?

Its not like im against paid heroes, but I AM against broken promises though.

@Woqini quote:

I really don't care if new content are free or not.

New heroes, new maps, new toys to play with - couldn't care less if Trendy wants to be paid for all their work. I would buy it instantly without a second thought.

Exactly.

Trendy has potential as a developer, so np supporting them. I mean the biggest *** up they have done is the Hero Deck and boring meta, but at least that can be addressed in time.

Anyway lets talk about p2w atm, who are we competing against exactly??

This is a co-op game, people would be helping you with the new characters if you couldn't afford them. Solo players can clear end game content now easily enough with out them.

All DD1 content could be cleared with base DD1 Heroes, it would be the same here. I would gladly pay for new characters, as a bonus it may get rid of the HD restriction if characters were paid. Think about it free character slots = people inclined to buy the new characters and skins for them. As opposed to the restriction we have of only 4 characters in your deck.

This is a touchy subject for sure, but if they need to make more money to fund the game this way then I say go for it.

I've said it before, this is my favourite game, i want to see it live for a very long time with new content added regularly.

Imagine this ... if Trendy makes a lot of money on the game, then the team will grow.

Result ... Bugs and balances will be adressed a lot quicker. We will all get new great content on a regular basis.

p2w ? no, not if new heroes and stuff are balanced according to existing heroes.

Hi all :)

Let's remember to keep the discussion civil and constructive.

Personal attacks/flaming will not be tolerated.

Thanks Emoji_LightningBug.png

@roboticaust quote:

It's not wasting keystrokes if it serves a purpose. The purpose is to let them know our thoughts on the sale of, cost of, heroes. By doing this they can see where the community stands and use that information before making a decision.

@PandynatorDD quote:

Yes I think the prices they charge are ridiculous. I am sure that if they decide to charge for heroes they wouldn't just be like here buy this hero. They will be sold in some bundle on steam. This way we couldn't use our gems.

I think they should make them token purchases, I don't mind grinding out new heroes. I do know this, if they choose to sell heroes and you can't buy them with gems I will not buy a single one. Assuming they fix the game core mechanics and get rid of the hero deck so I can start playing again.

I have hundreds of tokens so making them a token purchase would be good, also having an exchange rate of tokens to gems would be good.

I was tempted by the new squire skin but haven't the gems, but have alot of tokens.

@Chappyy quote:

@roboticaust quote:

It's not wasting keystrokes if it serves a purpose. The purpose is to let them know our thoughts on the sale of, cost of, heroes. By doing this they can see where the community stands and use that information before making a decision.

Fair enough.  I posted when I skimmed and saw a lot of speculation that seemed to favor the idea that the decision was already made and set in stone when it truthfully isn't.  Also a few posts about breaking the p2w guarantee.  Dd1 had paid for heroes and they weren't p2w at all.  I think knowsnolimits hit it right on the head in his reply to this thread, so I won't rehash his words despite them falling into line with what I believe.

The point I was trying to make and rather rudely was there's a difference between discussing and flat out readying the pitchforks and torches.  A lot of what's going on behind closed doors right now is based on player feedback and forum posts.  Everything is read, everything is discussed, everything is considered.  Some things take time, others take resources; but it's all heading the direction we want.  It won't be overnight, it likely all won't be by the next handful of milestones.  But little by little the pieces will fall into place.  Just gotta have a degree of patience.  In the end the game won't be 100% what one person wants or what one dev wants, but a fair consensus of what one community wants.