Sign in to follow this  
Dreizehn

Does anyone else like to have DDE's survival mode in DD2?

While the current onslaught mode is a nice invention and interesting to play I really loved how DDE's survival mode worked for me.

Instead of farming 6+ hours (and wasting a whole day) I had to endure a whole hour without any build phases with increasing difficulty over time.

I don't want onslaught to be changed to this survival mode - I think this kind of survival would be a great addition. Of course the onslaught rewards are not so great at the moment, but even when the rewards will be according to the map's difficulty I won't feel that great playing onslaught because I know I'd have to play like forever.

Would be nice to hear the opinion of people who played that mode as well as people who didn't know it yet.

well as of right now they have said that more game modes will be added in the future so maybe survival mode might be one of them hopefully :D it's just a race against time as of right now!

DD1 survival, DDE survival, and DD2 survival are ALL terrible.

• DD1 is an AFK-fest for hours at a time for the reward.
  • DDE is an AFK-fest for one hour for the reward. Better, but still not ideal.
  • DD2 is an AFK-fest for 6+ hours for a reward once every 2-3 hours. Probably the worst out of all of them.

What I'd rather have is a Left 4 Dead style survival. Survival should mean exactly that - a measure of how long you can survive, not how long you can endure boredom. Monsters increase exponentially in health/damage until you're guaranteed to be overrun, sessions would last no longer than 30 minutes and would always result in the objective being destroyed.

It'd kind of be interesting to see just one long wave, where instead of a wave/round counter it would be a stopwatch.

That's an interesting comparison. Actually I have never really liked survival gamemodes. Left4dead is a game where even I could somehow enjoy it. I'm not sure if I made it longer than 10 minutes. But these 10 minutes were REALLY intense. With a first minute like small 'warm up'. Yes... if DD2 would manage to do something like that... awesome.

@gigazelle quote:

It'd kind of be interesting to see just one long wave, where instead of a wave/round counter it would be a stopwatch.

This is exactly my opinion on survival. Should be no waves or rest periods. Just one never-ending wave that you're guaranteed to lose.

@Dreizehn quote:

That's an interesting comparison. Actually I have never really liked survival gamemodes. Left4dead is a game where even I could somehow enjoy it. I'm not sure if I made it longer than 10 minutes. But these 10 minutes were REALLY intense. With a first minute like small 'warm up'. Yes... if DD2 would manage to do something like that... awesome.

Surviving 4 minutes grants a bronze medal; 7 minutes for silver; and 10 minutes for gold.

To understand how comparatively hard lasting 10 minutes is, I've beaten every campaign on expert mode but have a gold medal on less than half of the maps. Lasting that long requires all 4 of you to be on your A-game with no slip-ups whatsoever.

This is what I want DD2's survival to look like as well. Short, intense games that always result in defeat. We'd still consider good runs 'victories' when we last a minute or two longer than we ever have before.

Talking about that... it wouldn't be such a bad idea to implement similar medals.

I'd like to have a victory chest - and every endured second impacts the RNG a bit.