Sign in to follow this  
Trendy Brett

Hearty Blockade - Preview of Next Week's Change

Hello community! Trendy Brett here to discuss some upcoming changes to the Hearty Blockade passive. Of course, we're fixing Shields to generate with Hearty Blockade, but there's a bigger change coming next week that we'd like to discuss.

We've been looking closely at Hearty Blockade since our loot update, evaluating ways to make it better and to allow for more flexibility in itemization. While we like the unique nature of converting Hero Health to Defense Health with the passive, we've also noticed that it has somewhat pigeonholed Squire builders. Most players are only stacking Defense Health and Hero Health on Squire builders, which makes them ideal for building Spike Blockades, but ill-suited to do just about anything else (especially in Nightmare!).

To improve on this, we're testing a change that alters Hearty Blockade to increase Spike Blockade health based on your existing Defense Health, rather than on a different stat. This would allow players to broaden their builds to include other components, like Defense Power and Splody Harpoon, without lowering the total possible health of their Spike Blockades. The change would also make most players' Spike Blockades tougher (with the same gear), since most players generally have more Defense Health than Hero Health.

Additionally, this change opens up more avenues for us to increase Hero Health on the Squire and Monk, so we can improve their viability as melee combat heroes at end game. Future patches are looking at a big increase in Hero Health, and diverging Hearty Blockade away from Hero Health gives us a lot more options that won't incidentally make Hearty Blockade builds more powerful.

We recognize this is a big change to a very common and popular passive, which is why we wanted to discuss the change with the community before it goes live. So, before we put this change into a live build, we'd like to hear your thoughts! Fire away in the comments section below, and know we'll read every post!

- Edit 1

A few more updates will accompany this change:

• Null Void (for Training Dummy) will provide more health to the Training Dummy
  • Arcane Resilience (for Arcane Barrier) will provide more health to the Arcane Barrier
  • We've also increased the minimum value of these stats, so the range of rolls is slightly more favorable

We're hoping to make the 'which barricade to use' competition a little more interesting with this patch. We've run a few tests on each of the barricades, and they can all achieve very high health values under their new respective formulas.

Also to note, we currently do not have plans to buff Splody Harpoon, but we are looking into seeing how it interacts/stacks with other Ballista-improving passives (namely Speedy Harpoon). Buffs may be in order, but we're primarily focusing on barricade parity for this patch and at  loosening the restrictions on Squire builders.

Great change, anything that adds more flexibility and adds to the character expanding their roll is a win in my book.

Also like the addition of the Hero Health increase, was trying to think of ways to impliment new damage mitigation for the squire/monk for melee, but with this change they can just work within the confines of what's already there and just tweak the number.

Definitely in favour of this!! bring on the change!

I think it will bring a smoother progression to the more casual player and even to the struggling hardcore players and provides an added bonus of a hybrid builder for your hero deck allowing further testing in solo play and allowing another point of relevance to the character itself.

Look forward to seeing this implemented.

I have to agree with this idea. It'd be nice to be able to bring a squire for cannon/harpoons and wall at the same time. Always felt like I could only choose 3 heroes because Hearty Barricade squire had to be in your deck. Nice move Trendy! 

Yeah this will be great.  Though other than harpoon what is this really going to open up for Squire options. As it stands, harpoon cant really be used in the current meta can it?  Lots of DU for something that isn't going to synergize with frosties.  Though maybe a step in the right direction - DH DP squire?

Its a decent change. It will make gearing up a waller squire much easier and it can double as a dummy squire as well. (anything that cuts down on rng grind is a good thing at this point)

I don't know about the  rest. 

Right now a cannon squire needs 3 passives and mostly DP/CHD gear so this wont work for cannon.

Right now a harpoon squire is mostly useless and splody doesn't change that even a little. Maybe this could work with a splody buff or something else. 

I don't think it will change the waller dynamic much. Most people may even look for hero health gear to keep the waller a tank.(unless you remove that combo)

I don't get it. Cades already scale off of Defense HP, so instead of making us farm for a passive that is essentially "your cades now have better scaling", why not just remove the passive altogether, and simply buff the cades? 

This is one of the issues I talk about in my gear thread. What is it bringing to the table outside of an artificial layer of farm time? It was pretty decisive with the Hero HP, as the stat conversion was a unique trait. But %Defense HP converting into Defense HP is.. well.. what?

@Aheadatime quote:

I don't get it. Cades already scale off of Defense HP, so instead of making us farm for a passive that is essentially "your cades now have better scaling", why not just remove the passive altogether, and simply buff the cades? 

This is one of the issues I talk about in my gear thread. What is it bringing to the table outside of an artificial layer of farm time? It was pretty decisive with the Hero HP, as the stat conversion was a unique trait. But %Defense HP converting into Defense HP is.. well.. what?

Removal means removing 3 other passives as well due to how the game handles rng seeds.  Do you want to see frosty power, phoenix flames and karma vortex vanish?

At any rate, it scales roughly the same, allows the removal of the dreaded hh/dh combo thats dropping poorly atm and globally for that matter, and it allows squire to be more versitile.  It'll be okay, breathe.

@roboticaust quote:

Do you want to see frosty power, phoenix flames and karma vortex vanish?

Well.. yeah lol. I mentioned as much in the gear thread. Do you enjoy needing to farm passives in order to get your towers to function optimally? 

@Aheadatime quote:

@roboticaust quote:

Do you want to see frosty power, phoenix flames and karma vortex vanish?

Well.. yeah lol. I mentioned as much in the gear thread. Do you enjoy needing to farm passives in order to get your towers to function optimally? 

No, but a grind component is necessary or everyone would be geared out perfectly in 2 hours.  The passives are the limiter that keeps people grinding away.  As annoying as it is, its kind of a need atm.  Asking for a major overhaul like you did (as cool as it sounded), just isn't going to happen.

@roboticaust quote:

No, but a grind component is necessary or everyone would be geared out perfectly in 2 hours.  The passives are the limiter that keeps people grinding away.  As annoying as it is, its kind of a need atm.  Asking for a major overhaul like you did (as cool as it sounded), just isn't going to happen.

This. +1

People tend to forget that -.-

@roboticaust quote:

Yes, agreed, and I don't doubt Aheadatime would agree at least somewhat.  

But he's describing a problem with the functionality of the passives.  Not that there shouldn't be content that takes time to acquire.  You saying that has nothing to do with what people find issue with (some passives being redundancies that ought to be included into tower functionality)

So, we can have a grind and not have passives that make towers function how they're balanced to function

On topic:  I welcome the change - DH/HH loot will presumably spawn about as often as DH/HC (impossible?) with this change in place?

Now all you have to do is bump up Splody Harpoon's passive to a maximum of at least 200% and it'll be viable for NM4 at the cost of 50 mana.

For most parts, i actually like how loot are right now (except hearty drops)

It's essential to a game like DD2, that players need to grind to some extent. If we can gear a hero with perfect stuff in a very short time, the game will become boring very fast, unless Trendy plans to spit out new content every month.

I like the way Iron core, amped .... are split out on items.

@Pachipachio quote:

@roboticaust quote:

Yes, agreed, and I don't doubt Aheadatime would agree at least somewhat.  

But he's describing a problem with the functionality of the passives.  Not that there shouldn't be content that takes time to acquire.  You saying that has nothing to do with what people find issue with (some passives being redundancies that ought to be included into tower functionality)

So, we can have a grind and not have passives that make towers function how they're balanced to function

On topic:  I welcome the change - DH/HH loot will presumably spawn about as often as DH/HC (impossible?) with this change in place?

Not sure if I'm allowed to divulge that "on topic", might have to wait on a big red post for that answer.  As for balance around passives for functionality, eh that's the way it is.  If you balance around the base towers, then the end game play becomes a powercreep when spec'd properly with passives.  Early game may be hella imbalanced but seriously, no biggy as anything goes early on.  Plus most players aren't even remotely passive stacked early on.  It's once you get to the very specialized gear and nm4 that balance really starts to become an issue.  I'll loosely quote a friend of mine here... It's not about making the game everything everyone wants, it's about making the game playable for everyone.  That means compromises and some things that others may protest.  Protest away, Trendy still holds the creative rights to do as they please in the end.  Feedback is important but it doesn't mean they have to listen to every bit of it.

Looks like step backwards to me, again only defense power + defense health builds will be possible - which is boring.

Another solution to keep up mwith Loot v2.0 woudl be to make Hearthy Bloackade roll on any item that has Hero Health or Defense Health - so you always make use of one or another.

It honestly surprises me that these kind of problems are even coming up in DD2. Trendy made DD1 how can they not know what to do with gear and map rewards >_<