Sign in to follow this  
draemn

Do Monthly quests encourage you to play more? They don't for me

I can't believe how many hours I put into the 2 of the monthly quests and got 0 reward.  This December event I gave up part way through and had no interest in trying to beat it when I realized that with going on a week long vacation I only had 3 days left to do about a third of the quest?

I find the time requirement is just too large for me to want to bother with the monthly quests anymore.  So they did encourage me to play to get the special reward... for a while... but after missing out on two different months because life happens and I can't play enough games to get it.  I would be interested in playing more (just for the monthly) if it was quicker and easier to get the special pet reward.  Go ahead and make a harder version of the monthly where you get extra rewards for the hardcore players who can afford the time.

Hmm monthly quests maybe get me to play a day or two more then I usually would so they kinda work. Though what I do is comeback to play dd2 once a major patch has happened & I only do that months quest, outside of that I don't do them reason being is, I'm not interested in playing dd2 at that moment. Perfect example would be this months quest, I'm not actively playing dd2 & therefore I won't do the monthly, so in a different way monthtly's don't encourage me to play at all.

I don't even think about doing the monthly, most of the requirements are done during my normal daily play.

Cant agree on this. Not so hard to get it in 1 month.

This is how this game works... invest time(have fun while doin it) and receive rewards.

no time, no reward.

The thing about the pets is some are good some are average some are hopeless. Also if you have them then we can petition Trendy to patch their effects, cool downs to balance them.

I actually think the time requirement is pretty low now. Before it was large yes, but now you can do it literally in 1 day mostly (at last the last 2 were that easy). Which is just fine for over one month.

Personally I did it more for the gold than the pet. That being said, its going to be hard for me to justify keeping 35 sub objectives alive when I've already got 4 50s. 

Run 5 maps a day on Campaign Easy Bazaar - that's what, a 30-minute investment a day? You'll have it done in a week.

Or if you want to complete all 3 objectives at the same time, run NM1 Chrome incursion a few times a day. Sure the loot is completely worthless, but you'll end up with the monthly and you might be able to try a few different builds in the process.

Id have to say yes. I want the 40 tokens... even if they are currently usuless.  Usually afk a couple maps while I go abouts my daily routines, ,  End of money I usually spend a weekend gets thse last 10-20 maps.  Not a huge thing, I

get about 4 hours of free time day 

Free time = cooking, studing, dealing with girlfriend requirments etc 

Proper scaling and stopping people leaching to nm4 in a day might give them reason to play longer... Even with out leaching you can be maxed and bored in a month or two.

Yes, the monthly quest is encouraging me to play. Actually I play until I have achieved the monthly quest's goal. Afterwards I play something different until the next monthly is live. (not so motivated because of some issues that really bother me but are not so important to be on top priority)

This will be the first monthly i dont get - the sub core one just isnt for me, cant get the dps in pubs to do nm 4 inv liferoot and i'm not grinding less than that.

Like you say, life gets in the way alot.

I noticed there seems be a pretty big split in the community about doing "easy maps" for monthly vs those who get them done in their "regular" playing.  I really dislike having to play maps that have little benefit to me, just because they're easy enough to get the monthly.  I want to play NM4 maps that have the chance at giving me upgraded loot, not maps where the only benefit is 1 pet affection level + some gold.

I fail to get the same feeling that monthly quests are easy to complete.  I usually can get in 2 weeks of fairly regular playing outside of work/vacations/other commitments and struggle with finishing the monthly (mind you I don't ONLY play the fastest way possible).  To me doing 5 campaign maps for a week solid is a fairly big time commitment if I still want to play some other maps to "grind" for gear.

The monthly quests are easy. And the December monthly quest was especially easy. There are people who finish their monthly quest on the 1st day. I don't know why you would be unable to beat it in a whole month. The reward is worth it, not always, but its usually a pretty good pet. October, November, and December pets were all pretty good. I don't have this month's pet yet because saving sub objectives is boring it forces me to play maps that don't drop any usable loot for me.

I think NM3 gates incursion and NM4 liferoot are the only maps I can beat that drop usable loot and quad is like impossible save. Maybe with a group where everyone has December's monthly pet you can do it now

@Hom-Sha-Bom quote:

The monthly quests are easy. And the December monthly quest was especially easy. There are people who finish their monthly quest on the 1st day. I don't know why you would be unable to beat it in a whole month. The reward is worth it, not always, but its usually a pretty good pet. October, November, and December pets were all pretty good. I don't have this month's pet yet because saving sub objectives is boring it forces me to play maps that don't drop any usable loot for me.

I think NM3 gates incursion and NM4 liferoot are the only maps I can beat that drop usable loot and quad is like impossible save. Maybe with a group where everyone has December's monthly pet you can do it now

You should try nm3 liferoot incursion then, same loot as gates, but it has a sub objective as well.

Once you're done with incursions I'd just go to campaign on the second map, it's 3 waves so you can get those sub objectives super fast.

I just got the monthly pet last night, and as a side effect I now have a clean office as well!

I completed the incursion and ogre tasks, but still had 15 maps keeping the sub-core alive left. So, I went to campaign easy bazaar (where there are only 3 waves), set up a single flamethrower near each spawn, and pressed G. I kept my headphones on while I sorted papers and cleaned my office, and whenever the build phase started, I just walked back to my keyboard and pressed G again. Runs averaged about 5-6 minutes, so I had all 15 runs done within a matter of an hour and a half.

Once again, most effective way to progress is also the most boring. But hey, I can't complain since I got the monthly pet and a clean office out of it.

The monthlies are a super drag. I don't enjoy having to do a lot of one thing over and over. I did the first few but haven't done any since as there's little motivation. This months pet is just their standard blob pet with some horns on it. Not inspired.

They encourage me to play less. I AFK grind the quests to get the pet reward ASAP, then after that I've just lost interest in playing.  I really hate the concept of the monthly mission. I wish they'd just put the monthly pet on the Wyvern Token vendor, and do something else.

IMO instead of 3 set objectives. They should make every monthly a three step progress.

With each step you have three different objectives. 

But with each step you would have 10 or so of each, instead of 30+ of the same.

Example:

1. Win 10 Incursions    
    Kill 7 Skeleton bosses  
    Fuse 100 items

2. Clear 8 waves of onslaught in a row  
    Deal X(XX)? million damage with X(random) tower based on iPWR  
    Complete 10 maps

3. Upgrade a legendary to max level        
    Win 5 random maps without using X defence. ( X=tower/defence which would be different every time)
    Kill 15 bosses before they deal damage to you or your defenses.

Or make it like many of the other games that have monthly quests. Optional parts that add up to the whole.

Have like 10 different quests each worth 1 point and if you complete 6 points worth you get the reward. And if you complete the other 4 points you can get a small bonus gold or something.

That way people can pick and choose the ones that suit their play style and the grinders can do em all and get a small bonus. Win/Win

@Pegazul quote:

Or make it like many of the other games that have monthly quests. Optional parts that add up to the whole.

Have like 10 different quests each worth 1 point and if you complete 6 points worth you get the reward. And if you complete the other 4 points you can get a small bonus gold or something.

That way people can pick and choose the ones that suit their play style and the grinders can do em all and get a small bonus. Win/Win

Would be hard to balance this though, If you can play one map and potentially progress on most of the quests at the same time.

@Mythra quote:

They encourage me to play less. I AFK grind the quests to get the pet reward ASAP, then after that I've just lost interest in playing.  I really hate the concept of the monthly mission. I wish they'd just put the monthly pet on the Wyvern Token vendor, and do something else.

100% this.

Monthly pet should be available to buy through tokens. That way you can just play daily events which contribute to the monthly. It was like that for Narwhagon if I recall right.

Acquire 50 WT's for one of it's pre-requisites.