Combine hero and defense stats, also make side bonuses into spheres.

The loot grind is pretty annoying at the moment. Right now a piece rolls either hero or tower so 50/50. Then it rolls certain hero or tower stats, let's say it can roll 5 of them, and you only need 2, thats 2/5 (technically a lot lower trying to get the exact two you want. But this math is easier.) Then you have to roll certain passive bonuses, let's say there are 6 passives that can roll on the gear piece you're looking at, and you only need 2, 2/6, But they can roll to be large numbers or small numbers, and really only the top few are going to replace your old gear, so let's say 1/5, and then you have to find 5 pieces of gear with these stats, however after each piece your odds are lower, because if you find one piece you have already found, it's useless. so add in 5/5, 4/5, 3/5, 2/5, 1/5 into the numbers. I don't need to do math to say why it's annoying. Doing the same map over and over, just hoping. Let's also not mention I am only counting mythic and legendary as those are the only ones that role the stats you need. 

I have a way that fixes a lot of that. And might make a fun change of the game. 

Combine Hero Health with Defense Health. Hero Damage with Defense Damage. Hero Ability Power with Utility tower strength (auras, frostys, water trap, and maybe even one squire tower.) And then have all items roll with  1 passive that is Prismatic Sphere Power. Add in frosty power, and hearty blockade plus all those practically required rolls and make them a prismatic sphere, so instead every piece of gear rolls something usefull. For some classes that roll won't be as effective, but for other classes it would be great. 

What this ultimately does is makes every piece that drops good for your character, despite there being something optimal. If you are an ability character, and a really good damage item drops, you can still use it because it still just buffs your dps. Every piece brings excitement and makes you think of the many areas it helps you, unlike the current system where 99% of the drops are disappointments. This is one of the reasons most MMOs don't go with a full RNG drop system, if you downed an epic boss which took hours and the gear it dropped rolled terrible stats, everyone would be disappointed, instead it always gives something sought after. 

And This way gear can be traded from character to character if you want to main a different character. 

Also this gives you more of a reason to stay on your favorite character, as all of your characters are effective at dps and building. 

I have like 3 apprentice skins, but can't use them because there is no reason to stay on an apprentice when a dps huntress is objectively better. This way you could make an apprentice and buff your abilities to do tons of damage, and it would also increase the effectiveness of your frost tower. Or go dps/tower apprentice and still have good dps without taking up a hero slot or having to level and gear another character. 

This would also make each class feel a bit more unique

You would probably build a squire like a tank, he would have tons of health, tons of tower health and go around taunting things. You could also throw some points into damage, to improve the damage of walls and increase your dps running around making a hybrid. If you really wanted you could have a dps squire with strong harpoons and cannonballs while running around like an assassin picking off enemies trying not to get hit.

For huntresses, you would be the ultimate dps, your towers are used to thin out packs and you're used to clean up. Yet you could also build for spells and buff some of the odd towers you don't see a lot of, while throwing bombs.

For Apprentices, the first though is abilities and frosty towers, but you could also go dps, and do flame thrower and dps. They have walls so technically you could also go tanky apprentice. 

And for monks. Buff auras and abilities would be my first thought, but a dps monk and AA towers, or electric auras would be pretty interesting at all. 

Then when a good lfg system comes up, you just say something like "need a tank squire, and an ability monk." 

Of course it will take a lot of balancing and work, but we are in the alpha, thats what alphas are for, testing new ideas and working out balance. 

I just don't agree to this. DD2 is a game of farming and grinding. We always builder heros and dps heros, dps gear and tower gears. Why change that? And we're in open alpha, not pre alpha. They can't wipe and redo.

@alexstonge25 quote:

I just don't agree to this. DD2 is a game of farming and grinding. We always builder heros and dps heros, dps gear and tower gears. Why change that? And we're in open alpha, not pre alpha. They can't wipe and redo.

This is one of the smaller changes I have posted, it can definitely be done in this stage of the game. And my idea tweaked, I don't expect one person to come up with the perfect idea alone. 

DD2 is a dying game, trying to preserve areas people are annoyed at isn't really worth it if there is another way that will make the game more approachable. 

Just because a game is known for grinding, doesn't mean it should be. Warframe was known for grinding and farming, when it was boring and poorly rated, now it is known for ninja robot and the reviews are positive and it's a loved game. They calmed down on the grinding aspects, and made the game more approachable. 

Also you would still grind and farm for gear, it just makes it so instead of getting a ton of trash looking for the perfect gear, you get a bunch of usable stuff while looking for the best gear. The amount of grinding to get the perfect gear is only reduced by a little. 

However, it's okay you don't agree with this. Everyone has their own opinions, and that's what great about the world. But it's always what makes games rough, everyone has their own idea of a perfect game, and it's impossible to make everyone's perfect game. 

@chaosparadox quote:

Also you would still grind and farm for gear, it just makes it so instead of getting a ton of trash looking for the perfect gear, you get a bunch of usable stuff while looking for the best gear. The amount of grinding to get the perfect gear is only reduced by a little. 

However, it's okay you don't agree with this. Everyone has their own opinions, and that's what great about the world. But it's always what makes games rough, everyone has their own idea of a perfect game, and it's impossible to make everyone's perfect game. 

Grinding should stay in the game. Now I agree that it shouldn't take 300 hours to get an upgrade lol. My point is just that newbies that leech in nm4 should for 5 games should get their perfect gears. It should take more than one day to gear perfectly a character.

@alexstonge25 quote:

@chaosparadox quote:

Grinding should stay in the game. Now I agree that it shouldn't take 300 hours to get an upgrade lol. My point is just that newbies that leech in nm4 should for 5 games should get their perfect gears. It should take more than one day to gear perfectly a character.

Ohh I agree! but the current system is no different I fully gear my new characters in like 3-4 hours. Sure it isn't perfect gear, but it only takes 3-4 hours for me to not see another upgrade for another 200-300 hours. 

And my suggestion wasn't purely to make the finding gear easier, sure it does that, but trendy could just half the item drop rate seeing as all gear will be relevant. 

My suggestion was more to give every class to ability to build and be useful while playing, not just build on 3 characters and switch to a dps huntress for the rest of the map. 

The problem you bring up is something by itself that needs to be fixed, And I recommend a group only map you can do once a week, where each player has 300 defense units they can use themselves, with the map having 1000 defense units your group shares, so everyone builds and everyone dpses. This way you can't just get carried. However me just typing this paragraph I know I am offending the "solo" players and the "one class" players (unless my system is implemented) and the players who don't like time locked content even though they seem okay with dailies. Even though that would keep people engaged in the game for longer as they can't just farm a new map until they don't need it, they would farm it until trendy has time to bring out new content. So it would fix a lot of the reasons people are leaving the game. 

"Ohh I agree! but the current system is no different I fully gear my new characters in like 3-4 hours. Sure it isn't perfect gear, but it only takes 3-4 hours for me to not see another upgrade for another 200-300 hours. "

this. no need to say more