What if you could only play 1 character per map.

Before everyone rages, hear me out (Also this post is under the assumption that the hero deck is removed, so don't think that will change anything I state. As this would be pretty much an overhaul of the game and likely never to happen. Just throwing the idea out there for conversation's sake.) (Also I know tldr is against the rules but there is a tldr at the end.) 

What if you couldn't switch characters once you got into a map? 

What are the issues with this idea right now? No walls on 2 of the classes, no physical damage on some classes, no magic damage on some classes. Let's say they gave each class 3 more abilities and 4 more towers, and removed the lane resistances when you played alone, yet gave bonuses if you played with a full group but brought resistances back. This way every class could solo, but every class still had synergies if they grouped up. 

Another issue might be "I want to focus on being a builder, but I don't want to be punished if there is another builder of the same class who is better..." What if you combine the types of stats. So everytime you got hero health, you also got defense health, this allows you to spec as a tank for bosses, yet also be useful in building walls for everyone. You can spec as a DPS, and also your towers are now great for DPS. Maybe make a healer/utility stat, so you can use abilities really well, and then it buffs your utility towers like frost towers, or buff aura. This way instead of hoping for frosty power on items, you just need hero ability power rolls on gear. 

You could focus on one character for many different reasons, not just "Hey whats your apprentices FP?" It would be more of a "yo, that guy is a good apprentice." 

I feel in many of the other games I play, I feel somewhat unique, I feel like I bring something to the party that no one else would. In WoW, I was one of the top Shaman healers on my server, people wanted me not just because of my gear, but I was skilled, and not just because of either of those reasons, picking up a shaman for bloodlust and manatide totem made me feel impossible to run without. Yet in this game, if I join a group it's usually just one or two people deciding the build and the rest figuring out who has the best stats for each tower. 

But in wow it takes months get a character where you want them, so it's harder to recreate when your raid needs one. In DD2 it only takes a couple hours really (a couple hours to level 1-50, a couple hours to do a bunch of nm3-4 runs to get basic gear.) So there may need to be areas where it takes longer to prepare a character, either longer leveling, or lower item drop rates because all items would be more relevant to your character.  

So lets look at a game that might be a bit more similar. Warframe (before you say, "but it's a shooter and it shouldn't be compared." Just wait, hear me out.) Warframe is a game that allows single player and multiplayer, groups are 4 people (other than raids) you go mission by mission farming for items, yet mostly just doing the same couple missions. Each class has a couple abilities that bring a unique aspect to the game. 

And here is why I bring up Warframe. Depending on the classes brought to the map, depends on how it plays out. Grab a banshee and a nova, you could be one shotting an entire row of enemies. Bring a frost and an ember, and you could be defending in an ice bubble with a flaming tornado around it. Bring a nekros and hydroid, now everyone gets double the drops. Bring a trinity and everyone can cast more abilities. Yet in DD2 when the hero deck is removed, no matter how many classes are brought into the game, every map will feel pretty much the same, using the same towers, swapping characters to have the same bonuses and synergies in every lane. And every player will feel the same as they all will have the same characters in essentially the same specs to do essentially the same builds. 

However if you were limited to one character, you would have a different experience depending on every other member of the group. Sure you can solo as an apprentice, but if you get a monk, you can knock enemies into the air for his AA tower, or maybe you get grouped with 3 squires, you may be more about freezing enemies so their cannon balls smash the frozen enemies. But you have to adapt, you can't just swap characters mid map as you need it. 

With the way the game is setup the meta will always be static. There will always be a best option. But if you were only allowed to play one character at a time, and took a lot more time perfecting that character, you will find that the meta will change every time you group up with new people. 

Also I feel like an idiot for buying the costumes I did, because I am only on those characters for like 20 seconds as I build frosties or walls. Then I switch to a huntress if I want to be optimal. So right now,  whats the point of getting non-huntress costumes? 

tl;dr What if you couldn't switch characters mid-game. But they gave each class a ton of things to make them unique and have the ability to solo maps so you didn't have to switch character. Yet in groups you had a lot of synergy with other classes so you could still have fun grouping. 

They could even combine half the stats so Hero Damage characters also have high damage towers, Tanky characters also have high health towers. And spell casters had high utility towers. Then you could just swap gear whenever you wanted to switch between tank/dps/utility/solo. 

I think i understand. I think what Paradox is looking for is finding a way to amp up the RPG elements of the game. By limiting character swaps and replacing it with more interesting and viable skills per playable role, people can grow attached to a specific playstyle or character. With this, each map might feel a little more different every time as opposed to the same type of set up on every map with just a difference of where the towers are dropped.

I don't mind either having just 1 char, 4 char or no limit at all. Whatever way devs choose people will complain against it anyway. Reducing the deck to one char would just end up sadly in alot of topics of "i can't play more chars = no monies from me = no reason for skins = change it or i stop playing" is what i feel.

But nice ideas for how it could be implemented on a single char basis. It is kinda like that already partial, and people complain against it, rather then working with what they have at hand the opinion is more like "everyone needs to have everything". Though there is diversity which are kinda bound to some players. I know some which when i play with them, there will always be LA and Geyser be placed. I have one if he is invited then flamethrower are placed because that is what he brings too. I myself always bring my cannons with me and like to place these if it's fine with the rest. Traps and frost, i trashed them on the harbinger patch kinda, only take them if someone really wants them in.

For my part i actually would enjoy to have a 1 char limit (I really want it!), but not as a perm for everything. Like many towerdefense games have different challenges for the maps, there could be different challenge modes too for maps (not only nm[[9778,hashtags]]). Like one where you can only bring 1 char as an example. These could give out maybe different kind of reward types. As an example like 100% gear for the char you are playing!

Having a own trademark as a builder is kinda hard here because of how tolerant the game is towards different builds and power range, so having a few less dp or a few more doesn't really matter that much, as long as the placement usualy is right and the player do the "right stuff" and that is where it gets uniform. If you have 3.4k ele traps or just 2,4k or having 200k walls or 380k walls is not really that important. Beeing good in dd2 is kinda the knowledge to handle certain situations, may it be repairing or whatever.

Not every player has thousend of hours time anyway to gear towards every possible build combination, so a 1 char per map may be a nice solution for them in one way. 

"In DD2 it only takes a couple hours really (a couple hours to level 1-50, a couple hours to do a bunch of nm3-4 runs to get basic gear.)"

In DD2 it only takes a couple hours to level to 50 and get NM3,4 geared when you have NM4 geared friends lolling you through maps.

fixed

And

(wishful thinking)

Patch Notes: Removed Hero Deck

Done- no need for reimagining the entire game when removing one sh!t mechanic will solve everything.

imo

1 char limit would be just a tad bit limiting since there would really be only a handful of ways for a player to build a map.

However, if there was a 2-char limit, I think that would be an absolute blast. Builds would pop up using every hero combination possible, as long as defenses were relatively balanced. As more heroes are introduced, the number of 2 character build combinations would exponentially increase.

In fact, if I could choose between the following:

• Physical and magical resist lanes with a 4 hero deck
  • No resists with a 2 hero deck + 1 DPS

I'd choose the latter in a heartbeat.

@gigazelle quote:

1 char limit would be just a tad bit limiting since there would really be only a handful of ways for a player to build a map.

However, if there was a 2-char limit, I think that would be an absolute blast. Builds would pop up using every hero combination possible, as long as defenses were relatively balanced. As more heroes are introduced, the number of 2 character build combinations would exponentially increase.

In fact, if I could choose between the following:

• Physical and magical resist lanes with a 4 hero deck
  • No resists with a 2 hero deck + 1 DPS

I'd choose the latter in a heartbeat

I suppose coming at this from a solo build standpoint only 1 builder may be boring. I suppose there has to be a line drawn somewhere though where trendy either supports more group play or solo play. As it stands, it already is more or less solo play with three people who are just there. Im more for the party playstyle. If the game had an actual way of forming groups and finding games, other than yelling in a public tavern, rewarded group play with increased items in some fashion while increasing difficulty, not just raised hp, and had a better rp system for fewer characters to play at one time, that would be my ideal. But again, could just be my opinion