Sign in to follow this  
draemn

Why did my tank squire start dying all the time?

So I didn't change my squire, stats didn't really move but ever since update I can't survive in NM4.  Incursion I die instantly if I provoke, my shield block doesn't seem to do much to keep me alive.  In regular NM4 I still die a lot, although it's not instantly, I can survive a little but nowhere near as good as before (rarely died).  On top of that, the "fixes" to the reflect pet ability mean it does barely any damage anymore.

I thought only incursion got a buff?  And that's seriously crazy if 12.5% buff to dmg takes me from rarely dying on incursion to instant death.

It's on all mobs :d

But tanking kinda needs you to gear up now again. Ususaly more serenity upgrades helping too or fighting on top of it for more heal if you use frosties. Curse is awesome too for it or dragolich like knows say. It took some time but slowly a few tank squires comming into view again. They kinda died out after carl showed up XD. I use mine rarely on any  maps too except for carl... There he still shines.

Well, if your serenity heals for 1000. And you used to take 925 damage per second on average. Now you will take 1040 DPS, Out healing the damage you are taking is pretty important.

[[94093,users]] Good luck gearing a new tank with only one resistance per item:P

@PandynatorDD quote:

Well, if your serenity heals for 1000. And you used to take 925 damage per second on average. Now you will take 1040 DPS, Out healing the damage you are taking is pretty important.

It's more to fight on top of the serenity then it does kinda full heals you if it is boosted by frosties. It can do 5k+ heals per second which can negate hits and make taking alot easier. Upgraded serenity gives also damage reduction so you don't take the full force of an hit which may oneshoot you like an oger. With surviving one you usualy can survive more thanks to an good serenity. It's all about placement and choosing your spot to fight on =).

It may just be me, but the increase in damage that tanks take seems to be wayyyy more than 12%. Previously they could survive (almost) indefinitely in a serenity with a shield up, so long as they didn't get a big exploder rush in their face all at once.

Now tanks seem to die quicker than an apprentice's blockade, usually before a serenity healing effect even gets a chance to kick in...

@lewis_woodg quote:

It may just be me, but the increase in damage that tanks take seems to be wayyyy more than 12%. Previously they could survive (almost) indefinitely in a serenity with a shield up, so long as they didn't get a big exploder rush in their face all at once.

Now tanks seem to die quicker than an apprentice's blockade, usually before a serenity healing effect even gets a chance to kick in...

Not just you.  I have that feeling as well, but I don't have video or screenshots of damage dealt or HP prior to patch to go and compare to today. 

All we have is patch notes saying 12.5% increase to growth rates.  We don't know what kind of function they use to calculate damage/hp and that 12.5% can mean an infinite number of different things depending on what the formula they use looks like. 

For instance, worst case scenario, 

Say every level added on a monster increased its hp/damage by 10%.  That means a level 1 with 10 hp would be a level 100 with:

10(1+.1/1)^100 = 137806 HP

Now if we did 11% instead of 10% (a 10% increase in growth rates) it'd be:

10(1+.11/1)^100 = 340641 hp

A flat 12.5% increase across everything is what everyone's assuming.  But we can't be sure there isn't some compounding going on somewhere, especially when they use the language of growth rates and inform us there will be little change at low levels relative to upper levels.  That tells me there's a compounding going on.  Unless they used superfluous language on the technicality that 1/8 of a small number is "little change" vs 1/8 of a very large number

Here's the original text:

Increased Enemy Health and Damage Growth rates by 12.5%
  • Enemies overall will see very little change at lower levels and slightly more stats at very high levels.

You can still get some items with dual resistances (only seen on shield so far though) so it's not completely gone yet :P
But yeah, tanking got changed a lot, i mean it is still completely possible to be tank squire (even tank monk) on nm4 incursions, you just really have to avoid kobolds at all costs now, they will *** you up.

Once Dracolich get nerfed using curse pets will probably be the best choice for tanks.

Trendy seems to think that tougher enemies = more challenge = more fun. In reality, it's the exact opposite. There's a lot better ways to make the game challenging than increasing health and damage to the point where even dedicated tanks can't do their job.