Solo players since the patch?

(Edit:  Since the last Patch with the second frost fix the below does not apply.  I am able to handle the content, it is much more challenging than Pre-Awakening, but overall LRNM4 Normal can be handled solo)

Any Solo players out there having success since the patch?   Not with the boss, just normal nightmare content?

Lets say Liferoot NM4 Normal.   How do you handle late wave hard lanes if the resist is wrong for your chosen Hero DPS

I am getting very frustrated here.   Lose, lose, lose, lose, lose, lose, log off.   That is my experience with this game since the patch.  What is worse, I have 680-698 gear on (except the few side-grades I had to swap to due to the passive changes... ) and the content that I can no longer beat drops 630-640.   

My gear is good, My build is sound, my upgrade order is sound, my DPS is respectable. All is doing well...   traps doing well, walls holding...  running around DPSing the Hard lanes to try and keep things under control.  Overall a lot more work than before but that is fine with me.   Then wave 5 or 6 I get a Phys Resist Hard lane and my Huntress simply cannot DPS the hard lane enough.     With +27% repair, my max upgraded wall simply melts (I think 500k hps). 

One second it is 90%, I start to repair while DPSing, the next second it is 10%... then it is gone.

If I was not limited to the same heroes I would have options but with 1 viable build and the Hero Deck I have no options.

What am I supposed to do?  I don't want to start leeching off others for gear, and I hate the cheesy 2 waves and out method of upgrading gear.   I have enjoyed slowly progressing through nightmare, stick on a map till I could complete it comfortably then move on.   Before the patch I was working on Little Horn Normal, got up to a clear rate of maybe 1 in 10.  That took me literally months...  but at least I would occasionally see an upgrade.   Now, I am back to Liferoot Normal with no chance of seeing an upgrade and I usually can't get past wave 5 or 6. 

It feels like this bump was to deal with groups face rolling content without considering the effect it would have on solo players.  I could be wrong though.  Either way,  I keep trying to have fun since the patch but I can't seem to find a a path through this frustration to enjoyment with the current state of Nm4 and the Hero Deck. 

Any advice is appreciated.

The game simply isn't designed for solo progression at the moment.  Liferoot is one of the easiest NM4 maps and it's ridiculously hard to solo - good luck with the other ones.

Imagine how NM3 players feel (who haven't leeched) and are trying to jump to NM4 content.  I can barely get past the 1st wave solo on my NM4 gear, is it even possible in NM3 gear?  

Think about how much easier the game gets when you add a second player:

• 4 extra hero deck slots, allows having 2 DPS in field plus all needed specializations
  • One DPS for each magic resistance
  • An extra pet - pets are currently ridiculously strong.  For example, the monthly pet increases damage by 75% on a group of enemies every 12 seconds.  Two of these and you have easy mode on two lanes.  

Now think about having 3 extra players!  It seems the game is balanced around having 4 people.  The relative challenge between the "hardcore solo" players and the 4-man teams is laughable.  A solo player is min/maxing everything from stats to tower placement to upgrade orders.  If a 4-man team did this they would faceroll content.

I'm not really mad, I imagine this is an extremely hard thing to solve.  You don't want solo to be easier or everyone would just do solo for speed.  But you want the gap to be minimal, where it's slightly better to run in groups but possible solo.  

IMO they should either increase DU, or reduce damage/monster health.  I mean think about how much theoretical DU an extra player adds from the above points, it's insane.   

should decrease mana costs on certain towers to allow for different builds to be more viable aswell, 50 for balista's is just way too much if you dont want to use traps =/

I can still solo NM3 content but its alot harder, NM4 is a no go, not in a million years with the current patch. There is no way to progress via solo, you are forced to group.

I'm feeling rather frustrated with the difficulty increase. I was able to solo almost all NM3 maps with "relative" ease pre-patch not using the frosty/trap/aura build. it was a struggle, but I worked hard and farmed through map after map of crappy loot. After 10-15 maps, I would get that one upgrade that, although minor, was still a slight progression. I was at the point where I could get to wave 4-5 on NM4 gates. I was really excited to see loot v2, thinking that perhaps at least once per 3-4 maps, I would get an actual upgrade to my gear. Now, I can barely clear gates NM3 even half the time solo. I can't use my old builds at all, the mobs don't die fast enough, and my walls fall in half the time they used to. Sad thing is, NM3 gates doesn't even have the ipower to make any gear I get there even remotely worth it. My ipower on all my toons is above 550 so the drops there are all worse than what I have. I've tried doing a few quick matches, but besides the fact that no one seems to be playing at this difficulty, when I do find a group, we still only make it through a few waves, and then everyone quits. I keep logging in each day, trying a map or two, hoping I can make this work, but always end up frustrated. I love this game, but if I can't progress solo, even with hard work and grinding, I don't know what to do.

Side note, I know passives were reworked, but did the monk passive with the increase to serenity aura range get removed completely?  I haven't seen it on a single piece of gear yet?

I know this is Alpha, and I'm not trying to be a hater, I love how active trendy is in their community, and I know they work hard to please us. I hope this gets read and that something changes to where I can still progress. Thanks for listening.

That "wall going down too fast" thing sounds like you're not illing witherbeasts. They tend to do that on your blockades.

@Nefhith quote:

That "wall going down too fast" thing sounds like you're not illing witherbeasts. They tend to do that on your blockades.

Not sure if you miss the /s

well the cannon, wall, monk build still works fine on all nm4 maps. Did a few 1000 ipow with it solo and still haven't gotten any cannon damage passiv =(. With it it should be rather easy then, and range, yeah.

@dreamanime quote:

well the cannon, wall, monk build still works fine on all nm4 maps. Did a few 1000 ipow with it solo and still haven't gotten any cannon damage passiv =(. With it it should be rather easy then, and range, yeah.

And what are you doing about physical resist lanes?  Are you sure you're doing NM4 and not "NM1"? :)

Without a hero dps (thinking, hey, maybe my 600-650ish builders will be fine!) even nightmare 3 was terrible. I'm going to try changing the strategy a bit, but regardless, with 600+ gear, I would think I should have a mostly easy time with nightmare 3, but that's really not the case in the time or two I tried. I'll change things up and go from there and see how it goes and see how I feel then, but it's pretty silly.

@Tarty quote:

@dreamanime quote:

And what are you doing about physical resist lanes?  Are you sure you're doing NM4 and not "NM1"? :)

uhm yeah i am pretty sure i do NM4 =).

I pretty much do it with cannons too, and 2 lightning auras. It works pretty well.

The point was I was solo and I could not DPS them down with a huntress on a Physical resist lane if it were past wave 4.  So past wave 4 any Hard lane spawning on Phys. Resist and It was a given I was going to lose.

Though, at this point in time it matters not.  Apparently the issue was not the difficulty increase, it was the fact that Frosties were still bugged.   Since the last patch when they applied yet a second fix to frosties I can handle NM4 Liferoot normal.   It is certainly tougher than before, need to 5 up my walls and such...  but overall it is now a challenge and not impossible.  Which is better since like I said, I get no upgrades from it.

Just tried LR NM4 solo (I use traps/frosty here) - wasn't a big deal but it was still pretty hard considering every character I used for that was 700 ipwr+.  Very different from me being able to do it on monk and squire just repairing things (I used huntress /w crit build and poison tips as well)

Still can't do greystone though, or littlehorn valley.  Tried traps/frosty, my cannon/flameburst, cannon/monk builds. 

Those maps just aren't possible solo imo.  Later waves (that I didn't even get to) will spawn 2 hard lanes from the subcore lanes and there's just no dealing with 2 hard lanes + bosses solo.  If you do the greystone map without falling subcores there's no way walls can lost long enough against hard lane + bosses to run around dealing with everything because things are so spread out

All in all, I don't think much has changed with their 3 hotfixes before leaving for the holidays.  Yeah, we can farm 650 ipwr gear on our 700+ ipwr huntress and app now.  Hooray

Well with my pre update equipment around 620-680 ipwr i can do first map nm4 solo with traps/frost build but its really really hard and u rarely get any upgrades there :x so yeah i'm about to quit this game. 9/10 maps i try are too hard and i fail, and the other maps/difficulties I can do are too low ipwr to get any upgrades.

I can pretty much still do any nm4 map, did plaza and little horn solo yesterday. Betsy tho well not possible just yet. Still no new passives.