Sign in to follow this  
chesticles

The Harbinger Patch thoughts

Hey all! 

Use this thread to post your thoughts on the latest patch "The Awakening: Harbinger Patch

Please tell us what you like / dislike and any other comments. 

Please remember to be as constructive as possible with feedback :) 

Thanks and I hope you enjoy this patch! 

P.S. : Don't forget to join the Steam Group and tell your friends! 

Pretty simple as feedback goes:

Whoever did the soundwork for the harbringer patch on the new maps, please give them a high five. I usually turn my sound off for games and have music / podcasts on but I am so glad I made an exception. The background music / general noises are fantastic for atmosphere.

Seeing a lot of sighs about the iPwr cap on galactic weapons and vendors, and of course the frosty power bug (meh they happen)

I am now rich beyond my wildest dreams from the costume change so I like that

AP Apprentice is now pretty useless, with superconductor nerfed up the butt, (before max 48%, now 18% if you can even get it on weapon, if not 15%) which is pretty useless.

I could make some argument saying i can shoot plenty of volleys with low cooldowns to make up for my lower single target DPS with AOE damage vs against a huntress but now i use 2 volleys/tornado and my mana bar is gone.

guess i gotta start working on my dps huntress again

I've only had a very quick play but I jumped right into the boss map. All I can say is Trendy... You guys had me all figured out didn't you? :D

Skins all look fantastic in game. The pet is the best pet in the game imo, just watch him on occasions he likes to taunt the player and the Blaster Caster looks phenomenal! 

Really like the Harbinger boss fight.

Not convinced on loot amount seems too low

Junk loot still dropping with mismatched stats

NM4 Inc has skyrocketed in difficulty effort to reward has swung massively to far too much effort for little reward.

Tweak required

Oh where to start ...

Visually excellent as always.

Difficulty has skyrocketed. Notes says "slightly increased", you may have to look up the definition of slightly. Gates is insane now on NM4 inc.

Loot sucks, i have a hard time figuring out what has improved, i still get tons of junk.

Connection errors and black screen.

Mana bug forcing a restart

Stat display bug still active.

Switching between elemental and explosive traps, i still build explosive traps when the elemental sphere is inserted, not always - but occasionally.

Boss fight is great

50 pct. of the time i can't leave a tavern. I have to kill DD2 in the joblist.

Laggy tavern

Hero deck sucks

I can't remember the title of that song with Paula Abdul where she sings "One step forward, and two steps back". Anyone ?

Really not happy as a solo player with the increase in difficulty. Was able to get to wave 5 and rarely 6 in NM4 before patch. Can't even get past wave 1 now, even with a non frosty build. 

@Woqini quote:

I can't remember the title of that song with Paula Abdul where she sings "One step forward, and two steps back". Anyone ?

opposites attract

Hello guys, for me this update is good at something points but the problem is a nerf of a hero... Nerf range tower (seren frost etc), nerf traps damage. I like to have more difficulty in game with the boost you make for  a monster but boost them and nerf us it will bad for us. Before this update i can make with other guys the inc nm4 first map (forgot name) but now i cant pass the wave 1. And when you want to go make a end game map the first map you win stuff who less than our stuff actualy so its useless. So now its realy so hard to win map and i think maybe impossible. I hope you will upgrade stuff like before this update with the same boost actualy for monster. (Sorry my bad english i'm a french player but i would like you know what i think about this update) ;)

I was pretty excited about this patch and was kind of bummed that I was only going to have a couple weeks before going overseas to work. However, all in all I felt is was a big let down in many ways.

- content is harder and for those that were barely making it in nm4 it pretty much pushed them back to nm3.

- Loot is definitely reduced by a ton with a lot of trash loot still dropping.

- the weapon cache was also a big let down. A 550 ipwr cap is fine unless your heroes all have 650+ weapons. This makes the weapons guaranteed upgrade fodder.

- I'm also not a fan of no option to disable all these mandatory cutscenes.

...I'm going to check out how much this difficulty change has affected solo players, but the more I play the less I want to play.

edit: on the bright side I do enjoy the harbinger battle

I think the passive nerf is a big step backwards...Take super conductor for example...it is nerfed to the ground.

The smart loot doesn't seems to be in place since I am still getting some bizarre combination of stats. Hero health + Defense critical dmg for example.

Really need a option to turn off the cut scene or have them only play once on your first ever play through.  You can always put the cut scenes in a cinematic tab for people who want to watch them again.

Nerfs, Bugs and a horribly disappointing galactic weapon. Aside from the amusement of my huntress traps now being as good as everyone else's because they lost their passives, it's not good. I've been leaving suggestions and feedback about NM 4 and the difficulty curve. And this patch has actually done the opposite to what was needed.

We've gone from 1 viable NM 4 build of traps, frost towers and serenity aura, to no viable builds. Towers needed buffing, blockades need tons more hp without limiting the builder to just stacking defense health (including defense power in their hp calculation would fix that), sky guards don't do ANYTHING, they are about 4 times too weak to kill anything. Apprentices now have to settle for only building frost towers... And that was before the nerf. Now, no build works, because the problems weren't fixed, it's not like flameburst suddenly got better, it's just as useless as it was before.

I miss the old days of councilor meetings where players had more input. -.-

Harbringer boss is nice but I killed him 10-20 times on nm4 without a single wep or shield dropping with any useful stats. I am still getting hero stats with def passives and def stats with hero passives. Frostys are now bugged. Nm3 is now harder than nm4 was ? Still having to wait 20 seconds between every attempt to join a match still works out faster for me to close the whole game and restart. Also the new harbringer dps bow passive doesn't work with sticky nades which sucks imo. On harbringer map you get no loot from anything other than the boss and end game chest. Did nm4 Inc and got 5 items total for the whole match. To sum up, the patch seems to have done more damage than good, Boss is cool although boring after you know his 3-4 moves and lastly the loot seems to suck worse than before

1. Weapon cache item gave my dps huntress with 710 ipwr a pretty low weapon damage bow.
2. ...
3. Profit (underwear gnomes?)
4. Harbinger stage enemy get bugged sometimes
5. Rollback and get rid of this "improved" skill system.
6. Huntress Trap recharge times are far too delayed now, 7.5 seconds... come on Trendy.
7. The enemies are far too strong for a NM4 player to run NM4 solo or with a friend...
8. Some of us do not have enough DD2 friends to NM4 with and pug groups tend to be awful.
9. Weakening huntress traps and giving ridiculous recharge times with improved enemies is plain silly.
10. Boss is cool but needs fine tuning.
11. Frosty mage seems to be horrid
12. Items are still giving horrid passives on a regular basis
13. less trash loot which is good
14. Harbinger weapons don't seem to work properly
15. 12% boost enemies received needs to be removed
16. Hero deck needs to be removed please.  Each update seems to limit us more and more
17. IPWR at map selection should reward IPWR items for the stage IPWR rather than lower IPWR items
18. The exp gain on the maps still needs to be adjusted, especially considering the increased enemy power
19. Cut scene's need an option to be turned off in options menu.  They are ok the first few times, but annoying now.

This update is more like a set back in my opinion. Might as well go back to DD1. 

Bad trendy is bad. Who got ridiculously high and thought it was a good idea to nerf the special stats? You were supposed to be making them more viable by making them match a bit more..... That nerf should be reverted ASAP because otherwise builds are going to consist of looking for a bunch of the same gear to get to previous levels due to lowered stats rather than looking for different stats that are nice.

It is much better if you introduce NM5 instead of  boost up enemies
It is much better if you boost up passive if wanna boost up enemies

It is much better if you make a good item stats as well a higher legendary drop chance if you wanna lower drop rate

It is much better if you fix up bugs instead of selling stuff

It is much better if you be a player instead of developer/programmer

@WHHWZ quote:

It is much better if you introduce NM5 instead of  boost up enemies
It is much better if you boost up passive if wanna boost up enemies

It is much better if you make a good item stats as well a higher legendary drop chance if you wanna lower drop rate

It is much better if you fix up bugs instead of selling stuff

It is much better if you be a player instead of developer/programmer

Agreed If ppl wanna be raped for no items Make nm5

I honestly would have preferred a full wipe over what we got, a partial wipe of all gear that makes all of my characters completely useless. and pushes me back into easier difficulties to spend another few hundred hours farming for a few very specific passives on every piece of gear just in order to get back to where I was before this patch went live. I haven't decided yet if I'm even going to bother playing again. It was a fun 710 hours, but I don't know if I can put up with this.

Spreading passives across every gear slot was the worst idea anyone ever had for DD2. The least you could have done was treat it like legacy gear. Let us keep the gear we already had but clamp the max values of the passives. It would prevent people from being too OP and it wouldn't have made everyone useless right after the patch.

As a solo player this patch feels like a punch in the face.

NM3 and NM4 became difficult to a point, where it's not challenging anymore, but annoying. You should fix this asap, seeing how this is a complaint, which can be found in many of the posts.

You guys do a great job, when it comes to art, music and the beauty of new content. But enjoying these things is currently not possible,

My thoughts so far on this patch.

1. Spreading passives out was a bad idea. To be perfectly honest, it feels like a cheap way to make it seem like there are more passives to farm for, instead of just creating new and interesting passives (read this thread for how I feel about passives in general).

2. Making enemies stronger is the most boring way of making the game more difficult. This point is complex, but I'll try not to ramble too much. Could have;

- Increased number of enemies, but this creates sub-issues because of the physics engine being more demanding than DD1. Lag would be an issue, as would visual clutter. 

- Created more interesting enemies. Demanding on money and time on TE's part.

- Created more interesting and difficult map layouts. Way too long of a topic to dive into, but maps are too small and straight-forward atm, with no inherent challenging features.

- Re-introduced 'hardcore' mode, with a hero "Lives" limit, timed build phase on NM, and random bursts of special enemies (from every wave, not just one).

3. The new boss is bittersweet. It's cool that he spawns on wave one, and it's cool that he drops new gear, but I don't like the fight or the map in general. Regarding the map;

- Lanes are super boring and straight forward. 

- Wyvern special gem idea is awkward. Why not just give Carl a bag of special gems on his waist, and DPSing that area drops a gem occasionally?

- Why does the lane closest to the core de-activate during the last battle phase? Could have been more challenging if it stayed.

Regarding the fight;

- Doing guaranteed damage to the crystal is unfun. Puts emphasis on numbers over strategy (kill him before he kills crystal, thus you need crazy strong DPS champs)

- He's never interested in your towers, which makes no sense. Aggro priority should be hero --> tower --> crystal

- His AoE on 'ground smash' is much larger than the graphics suggest, causing frustrating moments of 'BS, I dodged that!'

- Since he can teleport at will, why not have him teleport around map and cause harm to your towers?

4. New build passives being attached to weapons only is lame, and the passives themselves are lame imo. Again, check out this thread for gear discussion.

5. Maps are dropping way too little loot. I warned about this in my loot testing sessions. Gold income has decreased dramatically, along with the chances of finding good gear (given there's less gear to sort through)

6. Difficult ramp-up didn't seem to take solo players into account.

7. Bugfixes were much needed, and they seem to be under-appreciated amongst all these harmful changes. Thanks for fixing them.