Sign in to follow this  
Ngamok

Different Weights of Weapons

Attack speed can sometimes affect overall DPS. For example, if you use the crane stance with monk, light polearms are much more effective since his first swings are very fast. If you hit two enemies with that first polearm spinny-swing, you have a fully charged secondary ready to deal 4-5x more damage.

Other than that, swing speed is left up to personal preference. Heavy weapons deal larger damage per hit but swing slower while light weapons deal less damage per hit but swing faster. Their overall DPS is generally about the same.

with loh being scaled to be more beneficial to players in the next patch I would think a fast weapon would be very useful to melee dps. Unfortunately, I haven't seen how much of a change they made to life on hit or if that number is even affected by weapon speed similar to how damage works.

Optimally damage shouldn't be affected by swing speed. Weapon damage is already dps based. Meaning a weapon firing 1 shot a second will do the same as a weapon firing 30 shots a second. 

The only difference between weapon attack patterns is just how you want to distribute that damage. For range weapons a single shot allows you to do the maximum dps to 1 enemy, while a shotgun could hit a group of enemies, spreading the damage. 

Let's look at melee weapons. The light weapons are usually shorter and attack faster allowing for higher dps to single targets, while larger weapon swings hit more enemies. I couldn't tell you if the dps is spread out more. I don't play enough melee, however that should explain a bit of the logic they are going for. 

There are actually exceptions to the whole heavy and light weapon part, the spooky weapons.

These are the weapons which do the most damage for squire and app kinda. For squire it turns a heavy weapon in a fast one with the damage of a heavy one. It is the best dps squire weapon to have. For Monk the spooky weapon has so many progs and is really fast it does much more damage because of it. The procs can also crit that increases the difference even further.

@dreamanime quote:

There are actually exceptions to the whole heavy and light weapon part, the spooky weapons.

These are the weapons which do the most damage for squire and app kinda. For squire it turns a heavy weapon in a fast one with the damage of a heavy one. It is the best dps squire weapon to have. For Monk the spooky weapon has so many progs and is really fast it does much more damage because of it. The procs can also crit that increases the difference even further.

Hmm, my spooky squire weapon goes from 25k a hit to 10-15k. 

@PandynatorDD quote:

@dreamanime quote:

Hmm, my spooky squire weapon goes from 25k a hit to 10-15k. 

oha, when i got the weapon on the spooky event it was a major damage dealer because of that. didn't used it much tho because i love my buff sword. Might be off on that then but back then it had the highest dps out of all other weapons by far.

@chaosparadox quote:

Optimally damage shouldn't be affected by swing speed. Weapon damage is already dps based. Meaning a weapon firing 1 shot a second will do the same as a weapon firing 30 shots a second. 

Umm the weight of weapons, last I checked, was equivalent to shots fired per second.  To the best of my knowledge, a faster shot per sec is better dps per sec.  Same should apply in this situation.  It's not an imbalance, it's a design choice.

That's not true.   Everything seems to be relatively the same except for burst bows that are 2/s or 4/s

Here's a quote from the last huntress DPS thread:

@Saintone quote:

I've compiled additional information. These were done with tests at 3% CH over several samples to reduce chance of error by critical hits. Records were rounded to the nearest tenth, so there's a very slight margin of error by rounding. I'll update this as I go along the way.

1x1 Standard = 200.0% HD/projectile. 200.0% HD/second over 1 projectile.

1x2 Standard = 100.0% HD/projectile. 200.0% HD/second over 2 projectiles.

1x3 Standard = 70.0% HD/projectile. 210.0% HD/second over 3 projectiles.

1x5 Standard = 46.0% HD/projectile. 220.0% HD/second over 5 projectiles.

2x1 Standard = 100.0% HD/projectile. 200.0% HD/second over 2 projectiles.

2x3 Standard = 35.0% HD/projectile. 210.0% HD/second over 6 projectiles.

2x4 Standard = 27.5% HD/projectile. 220.0% HD/second over 8 projectiles.

2x5 Standard = 23.0% HD/projectile. 230.0% HD/second over 10 projectiles.

4x1 Standard = 50.0% HD/projectile. 200.0% HD/second over 4 projectiles.

4x3 Standard = 17.5% HD/projectile. 210.0% HD/second over 12 projectiles.

4x4 Standard = 13.8% HD/projectile. 220.0% HD/second over 16 projectiles.

2x4 Burst = 33.3% HD/projectile. 265.0% HD/second over 8 projectiles.

4x4 Burst = 16.7% HD/projectile. 265.0% HD/second over 16 projectiles.

2x10 Scatter = 10.0% HD/projectile. 200.0% HD/second over 20 projectiles.

4x10 Scatter = 5.0% HD/projectile. 200.0% HD/second over 40 projectiles.

4x6 Double = 8.3% HD/projectile. 200.0% HD/second over 24 projectiles.

2x9 Falcon = 11.1% HD/projectile. 200.0% HD/second over 18 projectiles.

2x6 Dark = 16.7% HD/projectile. 200.0% HD/second over 12 projectiles.

- - -

Regarding the argument of 2x4 vs. 4x4, is it possible you used a Burst vs. a Standard pattern? Charged Primary deals 300.0% HD in a single projectile that also adds knockback. The damage is not modified in any way shape or form by the bow's attack speed or pattern. Ultimately a 4/s bow IS capable of 1'200% HD/second, though it's rather unlikely, whereas a 2/s bow is capable of 600% HD/second. When Charged Primary is not a factor (bad RNG) the type of bow you're using or the stats on it may result in a disparage between values.

*Thanks to Insanetigs for documentation on 2x9 Falcon, Danishperfection for documentation on 4x6 Double, and Kraith88 for documentation on 2x6 Dark.

@Pachipachio quote:

That's not true.   Everything seems to be relatively the same except for burst bows that are 2/s or 4/s

Here's a quote from the last huntress DPS thread:

@Saintone quote:

lots of stuff

Interesting.  Then it's all about the proc at that point.  First time seeing those numbers.  Must've missed that thread.  I know pets are balanced so that slow shot pets output higher damage (to get their dps to the same point as fast shot pets at lower damages) and same on projectile count so they even out at maxed level.  Didn't know they applied this to gear too.  Always figured the shots per sec and weapon stances were there to force us to grind for the optimal one.  Especially since they made grinding a heck of a lot easier removing a ton of stats that used to exist on gear, plus the coming loot changes.

very informative thread, but what does the clock on swords refer to?  Is higher or lower % better or worse.

@olo quote:

very informative thread, but what does the clock on swords refer to?  Is higher or lower % better or worse.

The clock on the swords is a modifier. It tells you how much faster the weapon is compared to the base speed of its weight class (light, medium, and heavy). So if you compared two light swords, one witha  5% modifier and another with 15%, the 15% sword is going to be faster. And both swords will be faster than any heavy or medium sword. 

I hope this answered your question!