DD2 is well on its way to being dead

@iamisom quote:

Thanks for the answers about the training dummy =] I still have my doubts since hearty blockades can barely survive and they are usually built in a way to kill most of the stuff before it gets to them.

I have 1 big question. Does anyone at trendy actually play nightmare 4 solo? Even with hacked gear? I think if you guys just gave it a try you would find a lot of our frustration. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Pegazul quote:

@iamisom quote:

Thanks for the answers about the training dummy =] I still have my doubts since hearty blockades can barely survive and they are usually built in a way to kill most of the stuff before it gets to them.

I have 1 big question. Does anyone at trendy actually play nightmare 4 solo? Even with hacked gear? I think if you guys just gave it a try you would find a lot of our frustration. 

You Mean Nm4 Inc solo :D.  

@๖ۣۜPhoenixX quote:

@Pegazul quote:

@iamisom quote:

You mean nm4 inc solo (excluding gates inc). ;)

@๖ۣۜPhoenixX quote:

@Pegazul quote:

@iamisom quote:

Yeah that too but i mean even just plain on old NM4 anything other than gates or liferoot. 

Even if you just tried it a few times you would realize how unbalanced things are and problems would stick out like sore thumbs.

Like pet dps, or tower dps and health in general, or DUs, or all the wall ignoring bugs that aren't so bad in multiplayer since u got people watching them but in solo you insta lose cause your on the other side of the map when that 1 skeleton walks up and 2 shots the objective.

@Pegazul quote:

@๖ۣۜPhoenixX quote:

@Pegazul quote:

@iamisom quote:

Yeah that too but i mean even just plain on old NM4 anything other than gates or liferoot. 

Even if you just tried it a few times you would realize how unbalanced things are and problems would stick out like sore thumbs.

Like pet dps, or tower dps and health in general, or DUs, or all the wall ignoring bugs that aren't so bad in multiplayer since u got people watching them but in solo you insta lose cause your on the other side of the map when that 1 skeleton walks up and 2 shots the objective.

Yup all the bugs are very visible when players who are struggling with completing NM4 tries to do it. When you get mobs piling up at barricades the AI just goes crazy. 

Me and my friends mostly breeze through it all. But if we try a different build that clears mobs slower, it quickly becomes apparent that things are wrong with the AI. Hopefully will get fixed. 

Bugs kept me from progression into NM4 when I was at that gear tier, and it probably still does for a lot of players. 

And in solo, you will encounter those bugs/flaws in the AI even more frequently. 

I never have any issues with Ogres walking over each other anymore. But that is simply because they die so fast now. 

@Pegazul quote:

I partial agree with you. Yes the bugs are frustrating and they need to be fixed.

@dreamanime quote:

@Pegazul quote:

I partial agree with you. Yes the bugs are frustrating and they need to be fixed.

Haha i know your hardcore and like the difficulty the way it is :P.

I like a good challenge too but farming literally 100s of hours in the same buggy content with random people to get the prefect gear to finally be able to solo the maps(that give the same gear level) is not an option. Ill quit before i have to do that. And i'm a pretty hardcore grinder(i played some serious korean grinder games) so i assume others will quit long before me. Which is why i keep giving feedback on the issue. And i don't think some of the nm4 inc maps are even doable with perfect gear solo. So that's why i want to know if trendy actually ever tested their own difficulty.

I know Diablo 3 devs didn't.  I was one of the first to hit that inferno act 2 wall where everything insta killed you. I knew right then that nobody had ever tested it and they just assumed people would figure out a way. A few people used to say that was great difficulty too(the rest straight up quit). Dodge every projectile or you'll die :D.

In the words of the great Jay Wilson "And then we doubled it"

PS: I have to make sure to add this. This is purely a SOLO issue. All maps are pretty easy in multiplayer.

There are a lot of posts so far complaining about all sort of design features. I could reply talking about how those design features are flawed, but it wouldn't add anything to the discussion. Instead, let me offer what I see the biggest weakness is so far: The lack of content. Open alpha was released at the start of October. Since then, there has been 1 single content update at the end of October. 2 maps(1 of which plays more like an incursion than a regular map). 4 items(mediocre legendaries for each class). The content that is released is quickly seen and then we go back to farming NM4 gates incursion. Ascension part II was october 27th, and the next content update is going to be december 15th. That is almost 2 months.

I understand that the dev team is small. I understand that these things take time. But thereality is that there just isn't enough. Releasing content rapidly does several things. First, it incentivizes players to keep coming back. Second, it quells discontent. One F2P pve game I like to look at for this sort of thing is Warframe. The game has many issues, that people have been complaining about for years. But whenever something new comes along, the complaining stops for a while, then starts back up, then something new comes alone, and so on and so forth. The sheer rate at which that game puts out content results in significant design flaws not being the death sentence it would be for other games. Right now, DD2 needs to choose if its going to focus on putting out more content rapidly or work on seriously fixing the nature of the game. But currently its not doing either. 

I know people who were on the fence about purchasing stuff during the black friday sale, and they all decided against it. They feel there just isn't enough to the game to justify the purchase, and I can see where they are coming from. Releasing content more rapidly will help these players feel more confident in their purchases because they see that Trendy is commited.

We could keep talking about how to fix the design issues, but the reality is that everything I could say has been said a dozen times. So my perspective is that if design is too challenging to fix, at least put out more content. More legendaries that change builds. More maps. More things to do. It will at least show us that the game isn't dying. Because right now after a full release of going F2P, there are just as many players playing it as before it was F2P. And that is a scary thought.

@Sadinar quote:

There are a lot of posts so far complaining about all sort of design features. I could reply talking about how those design features are flawed, but it wouldn't add anything to the discussion. Instead, let me offer what I see the biggest weakness is so far: The lack of content. Open alpha was released at the start of October. Since then, there has been 1 single content update at the end of October. 2 maps(1 of which plays more like an incursion than a regular map). 4 items(mediocre legendaries for each class). The content that is released is quickly seen and then we go back to farming NM4 gates incursion. Ascension part II was october 27th, and the next content update is going to be december 15th. That is almost 2 months.

I understand that the dev team is small. I understand that these things take time. But thereality is that there just isn't enough. Releasing content rapidly does several things. First, it incentivizes players to keep coming back. Second, it quells discontent. One F2P pve game I like to look at for this sort of thing is Warframe. The game has many issues, that people have been complaining about for years. But whenever something new comes along, the complaining stops for a while, then starts back up, then something new comes alone, and so on and so forth. The sheer rate at which that game puts out content results in significant design flaws not being the death sentence it would be for other games. Right now, DD2 needs to choose if its going to focus on putting out more content rapidly or work on seriously fixing the nature of the game. But currently its not doing either. 

I know people who were on the fence about purchasing stuff during the black friday sale, and they all decided against it. They feel there just isn't enough to the game to justify the purchase, and I can see where they are coming from. Releasing content more rapidly will help these players feel more confident in their purchases because they see that Trendy is commited.

We could keep talking about how to fix the design issues, but the reality is that everything I could say has been said a dozen times. So my perspective is that if design is too challenging to fix, at least put out more content. More legendaries that change builds. More maps. More things to do. It will at least show us that the game isn't dying. Because right now after a full release of going F2P, there are just as many players playing it as before it was F2P. And that is a scary thought.

Content isn't the issue. You would rather have 100 hours of half done mediocre cotent or 59 hours of wow that was amazing content? The base game needs to be fixed right before you add tons of new content.

@Pegazul quote:

@dreamanime quote:
@Pegazul quote:

Haha i know your hardcore and like the difficulty the way it is :P.

I like a good challenge too but farming literally 100s of hours in the same buggy content with random people to get the prefect gear to finally be able to solo the maps(that give the same gear level) is not an option. Ill quit before i have to do that. And i'm a pretty hardcore grinder(i played some serious korean grinder games) so i assume others will quit long before me. Which is why i keep giving feedback on the issue. And i don't think some of the nm4 inc maps are even doable with perfect gear solo. So that's why i want to know if trendy actually ever tested their own difficulty.

I know Diablo 3 devs didn't.  I was one of the first to hit that inferno act 2 wall where everything insta killed you. I knew right then that nobody had ever tested it and they just assumed people would figure out a way. A few people used to say that was great difficulty too(the rest straight up quit). Dodge every projectile or you'll die :D.

In the words of the great Jay Wilson "And then we doubled it"

PS: I have to make sure to add this. This is purely a SOLO issue. All maps are pretty easy in multiplayer.

XD yeah kinda. I am one of these who don't mind dying over and over again as long as i see a way to win it once. I played diablo 3 at the start too, HC only and damn i lost alot of friends in act2 inferno back then. Some even screamed and where quit in rage because they died so often while i still stayed alive :_D the most sickening part was to just farm the goblin over and over there and do nothing else kinda. Go out and die yep.

It's always abit tricky to please both sides, hardcore player and casuals, but like you said some frustration comes from the buggy content. It's something people like to ignore so much but its like a constant deadly sickness. A game may be as good and have as much content as it can, it will still die out if there are to many bugs and issues. Sure people can live with an bugged tower and a bugged view, and with monster staying behind spawner, and walking away to stay active, wasting tons of time. They will forgive stuff like that. Same goes for placing down defense then getting a disconnect randomly. Going into a map and having a mana bug. It's just the small nagging pain which lets you sights, and at one point you will say "F*** it, i am out".

Yeah good that you mention it for solo, i totaly agree with you on that, special on incursion. Simple because incursion is truly only "balanced" for MP unlike the not incursion maps. Gates is still doable solo, and even though i still have not done it yet, ramparts is pretty much doable too. I finaly can reach there wave 5. Huge step forward. But it is definitiv way to hard even if i manage to do it one time. Way to much planning goes into it, and building preparation for figuring out where towers are safe, where they can hit the most without beeing blocked by the enviroment, where the starting resistence lanes are, where the hard lanes are, where the air will apear debuffer where they apear. So many factors which influences it. When you need to stand on your towers to buff them, then phoenix one lane while shooting another, cc the oger and start repairing in one lane, it just can get way to overwhelming.

The not incursion maps are fine i think for solo player. People just need to get away from the whole trap and ice build for solo play on it. It's funny what is so strong in mp is actually weaker in solo. You will have a much easier time with with cannons/ballista and flames/earth then with traps. You have different options then because you can ignore some parts like air, and only a few hard lanes. Using Boost Aura is also super usefull in solo play, special if you can get alot of walls and towers into it's range.

@iamisom quote:

Thanks for this thread everybody! Love the feedback. I hope the people who watched today's stream understand that we are still making core changes to the game. In this milestone, we are focused on improving the frustration with loot RNG and the terrible grind in mid-game, which were the biggest complaints we received when we opened the game up to more players with Open Alpha. As we've been doing in our previous updates (major tower changes in Ascension Part I; Nightmare mode/Inventory updates in Alpha & Beyond; total defense rebalance in Loot & Survive, etc.), these core changes are going to continue to happen. That's what Open Alpha/Early Access is all about. I understand the frustration that fixes for the issues mentioned in this thread haven't happened yet, but let me assure you they are definitely on our roadmap to fix.

As for cosmetics, making money is essential for us to make these core changes. If we aren't making money, we aren't able to continue developing a game that we're so passionate about. Man, I wish we lived in a world where we didn't have to worry about making money to do the things we're passionate about. I think people would be so much happier to just focus on making fun. That would be awesome. But the reality is that the two are inherently combined. :( It's important to note, though, that new cosmetics are handled by the art and animation teams, and those don't take away resources from the things mentioned in this thread.

@Pegazul quote:

Well the dev stream was not reassuring at all. Nothing they said sounded like it would fix any current end game problems.  

@trendy do you understand that the target dummy is useless because it cannot tank any damage? Is the new version ranged  and not meant to be in the lane or have some amazing health boost to be on par with hearty blockades?

Also do you realize that purge evil is the only reason anyone uses a builder monk ? Making a weapon that improves lightning auras makes no difference unless its stronger than traps or the hero deck disappears.

This is just getting frustrating.

The Training Dummy build has a passive that increases the Dummy's health based on Defense Health. The build adds ranged attacks to the Training Dummy. With each hit, the Dummy will begin powering up, which once it's full, it will activate a portal that will send an enemy back to the spawn -- even Ogres. It won't be 1:1 health with Hearty Blockade, but the damage/utility vs. health tradeoff should be much closer now.

@KnowsNoLimits quote:

Agreed, stagnant meta and the number 1 thing that kills the fun of the game personally for me is the Hero Deck. Too limited in what I can build. I don't want to see a increased deck slot, because then the meta will change again and that really is just a bandage to the problem. 

i want to see it abolished and never spoken of again. 

• Remove all the OP legacy gear

With our new loot changes, we have a new passive clamping system. If things go as expected, the old legacy gear passive numbers should be clamped down to the new maximum percentage, effectively negating legacy gear. We're still testing this out, but the initial results are positive. 

Completely repeatable, gambreaking bugs have been in the game for months and still haven't been addressed.

I want to personally apologize for that. Sometimes things get lost in the mountain of feedback we see. If you feel like a bug hasn't been given the appropriate amount of attention, please message me here on the forums. I've been chatting with Brad about adding a Priority Bug Fix List on our forums so you know exactly what bugs we're currently addressing, and maybe this transparency will help us make sure we're both on the same page about what bugs need to be fixed. (Some bugs -- like the ogre surfing, enemy stuckage, blockade aggro bugs -- take quite a bit of programming time to fix, but they are on our list. Just might take a little longer.)

And removing the hero deck?

@Chappyy quote:
Content isn't the issue. You would rather have 100 hours of half done mediocre cotent or 59 hours of wow that was amazing content? The base game needs to be fixed right before you add tons of new content.

If it was as simple as a 1:2 ratio, absolutely. But that is not the right way to look at it. What if you had to wait 3 months for a small amount of content? Even if that content is of the highest quality, it isn't going to retain players. What if you had to wait 6 months? A year? For a game like this(a cooperative multiplayer F2P game), you need to retain players. Or rather, you need to ensure players keep coming back to the game if they drop it. You need incentives for players to keep coming back to the game and keep playing it. This is the highest priority. The thing is, all the design issue comments in this thread are spot on, but what if it takes Trendy 6 months to fix those issues? If they don't also produce content alongside those fixes, the majority of the playerbase will leave, so when the game becomes amazing there won't be anyone left to play it.

Cooperative multiplayer games require players. And new content, even if not of the highest quality, draws in players. A game that is constantly updated is one that interests people to try it. I'm not saying Trendy needs to push out bad content. But the reality is that if we are going to be waiting 2 months between patches for a small bit of content, new players aren't going to be as wanting to join. And players that tried the game aren't going to want to come back.

@gigazelle quote:

Last month celebrated their 2-year anniversary of bringing aboard the first defense councillors. Back then we had the 4 heroes, 2 defenses per hero, and the only map was town plaza. 

I remember getting excited for the weekends to come when we could only play on weekends during play tests.

@iamisom quote:

I want to personally apologize for that. Sometimes things get lost in the mountain of feedback we see. If you feel like a bug hasn't been given the appropriate amount of attention, please message me here on the forums. I've been chatting with Brad about adding a Priority Bug Fix List on our forums so you know exactly what bugs we're currently addressing, and maybe this transparency will help us make sure we're both on the same page about what bugs need to be fixed. (Some bugs -- like the ogre surfing, enemy stuckage, blockade aggro bugs -- take quite a bit of programming time to fix, but they are on our list. Just might take a little longer.)

Big fan of the priority bugfix list idea, it would be great to have one which the community could have a little more involvement in, because forum and stream reports often seem to be forgotten.

i'd have no idea how to deal with this much feedback either though, so i can't really complain as long as we're in alpha ^^ hope the team figures something out.

@Sadinar quote:

@Chappyy quote:

If it was as simple as a 1:2 ratio, absolutely. But that is not the right way to look at it. What if you had to wait 3 months for a small amount of content? Even if that content is of the highest quality, it isn't going to retain players. What if you had to wait 6 months? A year? For a game like this(a cooperative multiplayer F2P game), you need to retain players. Or rather, you need to ensure players keep coming back to the game if they drop it. You need incentives for players to keep coming back to the game and keep playing it. This is the highest priority. The thing is, all the design issue comments in this thread are spot on, but what if it takes Trendy 6 months to fix those issues? If they don't also produce content alongside those fixes, the majority of the playerbase will leave, so when the game becomes amazing there won't be anyone left to play it.

Cooperative multiplayer games require players. And new content, even if not of the highest quality, draws in players. A game that is constantly updated is one that interests people to try it. I'm not saying Trendy needs to push out bad content. But the reality is that if we are going to be waiting 2 months between patches for a small bit of content, new players aren't going to be as wanting to join. And players that tried the game aren't going to want to come back.

I agree with what you're saying if the game was release or even in beta. It is however in alpha and this should be the time spent on core mechanics and getting the game proper.  I think the modern day early access theme is mostly to blame. A game gets opened to early access and it allows players to use both sides of the coin "it's still in early access" and "this game feels unfinished with not enough content".

they really need to fix core systemic problems, such as:

1. stats are not balanced.  they should all provide about the same level of benefit when invested in, and should all function without investment caps (or all have the same cap)

2. items should drop at the character's level, allowing the player to attempt any map he chooses and get proper loot

3. social systems need to be added

4. characters need to be balanced so either you can use any character solo to tackle all content or there needs to be a global system in place that all your characters are the same level

5. items that drop need to be for all character types.  no matter what character you play you will get items for other characters.  if using other characters is mandatory then you need to have the items all drop

and more things like this.  it's a combination of a bunch of small problems that all add up and make the game have no lasting power

The people posting nonconstructive blabbers are the equivalent of the annoying retarded customers people have to deal with. That's what you people are. Deal with it. 

@420Towers quote:

The people posting nonconstructive blabbers are the equivalent of the annoying retarded customers people have to deal with. That's what you people are. Deal with it. 

You mean like this post^ and my post about your post lol.

I see a lot of valid monk complaints in here and would like to stuff a suggestion in here and pray a dev actually reads it.  The current implimentation of monk is lacking in massive ways.  To keep him valid, you had to take a special rare drop and make it global... that should speak volumes right there.  A good 90% of monk usage in higher tiers of play is purely based off that one said polearm, with the following 10% spent on the occasional skyguard.  The only time LA/LSA comes into play is when you get ridiculously geared with monk, which to be fair is nearly an impossibility for most of us since using him in nm4 is on par with toothpick insertion via urethra.

Some suggestions to take him off the "poop tier" list several people have mentioned in this thread, would be to rework him yet again.  I realise a lot of the nerfs and kit changes were done intentionally to bring him in line from god status to on par with everyone else, but you guys went a little overboard.  Now i'm not suggesting go back to the drawing board and redo all that mess for a third time, but rather some simple fixes.

1) Monk has the ability to both range and melee.  You did this right in dd1/dde with weapons that focused on one or the other.  FFS bring this back!  Give him drops with "heavy, medium or light" AND give him projectile per second/projectiles fired/projectile patterns.

2) This goes hand in hand with point 1.  Take those silly dps stance spheres and rework them.  Since I'm suggesting you give monk 2 possible builds via weapon alone, these 2 spheres should reflect that.  How might you ask?  Simple... you allow pole smash to count as a melee attack and chi blast to count as a range attack.  Now tank monks can fire a chi blast into lane for more damage and ranged dps monks can enter fray to break a freeze and hit harder on the surrounding targets.  Now I get these are abilities that scale off ability power, not hero damage; so it would be wise to add the stack damage in based off hero damage for x% (x being clearly whatever you deem is a fair balance).

3) Since I'm suggesting altering weapons to include secondary changes, you may need to remove or change the secondary can stun sphere.  Could become hella broken on ranged monk dps.

4) Herioc waves hero damage increase should apply only to the monk player, not to anyone caught in it.  If monk suddenly becomes a viable ranged dps, this could become a major balance issue and create a meta of "we need one monk dps to farm gates nm4 inc".  Huntress does NOT need more hero damage increases to blow herself up even further.

5) Spiral energy to the best of my knowledge is available on every piece of monk gear.  You may want to bonk this off a few pieces and put it in line with the other monk ability altering passives.

6) I do believe the auras are somewhat in line with where they should be because I have witnessed an ipwr 700 monk hella troll with LA and LSA, serenity and boost clearly works as intended, and lastly skyguard does what it was intended to do.  However, I believe the gem cost allocation should be tinkered with.  Boosts current cost for use is so inefficient that it's laughable.  And serenity isn't being used as intended thanks to its silly low du cost.  I believe these two should be flip-flopped in cost.  And to further clarify what I mean by serenity not being used as intended... I'm looking at you people ignoring karma vortex in lue of stacking any desperate def power pieces you can cling to for more purge damage.  In my honest opinion, builders have to be nitpicky about their gear passives and seek out particular ones.  This is very true for all the other builders but monk currently.  Setting serenity to 40 du would force monk builders to actually care about passives again, not just gear stats.  Setting boost to 20 du would correct the inefficiency of it and create more opportunities to use this amazingly under used build option and could potentially make it so trapping is no longer the meta (which to be fair is yet another complaint of many in this thread).

And this final one is more of a silly, kinda urks me a little thing.  Fix skyguards damn tooltip will ya?  I don't need to see some ridiculous damage that is the amagalation of several projectiles fired added together.  Make this more clear to the player because seeing 215135235725 dps is just silly.

Looking at metrics for the game it is losing players everyday

Been like that for EVERY update since very beginning and it means nothing - it is perfectly natural. The most important thing is that players return (and new ones join) every time an update is made.

I just wish they would make the DPS numbers vs the training dummies overlap all other numbers so I can find out what weapon is best... so frustrating... I wish this was a priority, as I do not know what is best as there is no way to tell without seeing the DPS numbers hidden behind all the dmg numbers.

@mindlessdefender quote:

I just wish they would make the DPS numbers vs the training dummies overlap all other numbers so I can find out what weapon is best... so frustrating... I wish this was a priority, as I do not know what is best as there is no way to tell without seeing the DPS numbers hidden behind all the dmg numbers.

Just un-equip your pet. The comparative #s should be the same.

• 2 weeks later...

@Pegazul quote:

@iamisom quote:

I would like to say: "I TOLD YOU SO"

@Pegazul quote:

@Pegazul quote:

@iamisom quote:

I would like to say: "I TOLD YOU SO"

LMAO. Well better luck next patch? For the love of pete can you please take one of your many thousands of meetings and really look at what on your milestone list you can fix that is in line with what the players want? 

I can't handle anymore massive content updates while the game is broken. Please stop shoving costumes on us.