Your thoughts on melee combat?

I posted a thread on the melee combat system, but since it was suggestive, it was moved to the suggestions sub forum. I wanted to keep the thread here to encourage opinions/discussion/voting, so this is my re-post without the suggestions.

DD1. You could turn off "magnetized melee" in the options menu. This would allow your character to simply swing at your mouse cursor without lunging forward or being magnetized to enemies. Could strafe and kite melee enemies, dodge ranged attacks, and be able to single out enemies without the hassle of trying to break the magnetism.

DD2. Character awkwardly lunges forward with each attack. It's difficult to focus a certain enemy, and impossible to dodge/strafe enemy attacks while attacking. Kiting is ruined. You can swing once and then back up, etc., but unlike DD1 where you could put out 100% of your DPS while kiting, you now lose a ton of DPS trying to kite. 

To me, this new combat system punishes players who choose a melee character, which limits our strategic diversity, ultimately making the game less fun and less diverse. How do you guys feel about this? Does it feel better or worse for you compared to DD1?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is a console thing. Most fps and tps are dumbed down for consoles as they can't live without auto aim or auto <insert dumb down able content here> so this would be purely for PC players.

@Fozzie quote:

I think it is a console thing. Most fps and tps are dumbed down for consoles as they can't live without auto aim or auto <insert dumb down able content here> so this would be purely for PC players.

I dunno. The first time I ever played DD1 was on a console. Me and two of my gaming friends picked up the game randomly and fell in love. The melee characters didn't lunge forward awkwardly, and you could turn off aim assist in the options.

My biggest gripe isn't the aim assist, it's this silly lunge that puts you out of position whenever you attack, which wasn't a feature in DD1. You can no longer just stand still and melee auto attack.

I really dislike it. At the moment the clear winner for dps is ranged. I hate ranged dps with a passion. Being a melee dps you need to consider health, physical and magical resistance, attack power, and ability power. Raged its all about attack power and ability power.

Ranged dps, do you want to jump in the air and still do 100% dps? sure no prob. Melee dps, sorry you can only swing your weapon once.

Ranged dps, do you want to dodge incoming attacks while doing 100% dps? sure no prob. Melee dps, sorry you need to stop attacking and run away.

Ranged dps, do you want to be able to do 100% dps on bosses, mini bosses, and ogres without the risk of dying? sure no prob. Melee dps, here's some knock back attack and aoe melee range damage.

*Saving grace for melee is pets with reflective damage. Eg new monthly pet. So the meta for melee dps is, pump up your health and resistance as high as you can go and let reflective damage kill everything.

@cheeseburglr quote:

*Saving grace for melee is pets with reflective damage. Eg new monthly pet. So the meta for melee dps is, pump up your health and resistance as high as you can go and let reflective damage kill everything.

True

I hate this movement feature too because it locks your character in an animation and that makes dodging bosses a lot harder. I hate using certain abilities as well such  as mana bomb because it locks you in place until the animation is finished. 

@cheeseburglr quote:

At the moment the clear winner for dps is ranged. I hate ranged dps with a passion.

Yes, this is precisely why I created this thread.

DD2 is the sequel to DD1. When you make a sequel, there always needs to be some change, and I get that. But too much change is a not a good thing, nor is change that feels like steps backward (hero deck, melee combat, lack of SAS stats). 

With this new melee change, ranged is 100% the correct choice for DPS characters, whereas in DD1, there was no 'correct' choice. It was strategically diverse, and relied more on play-style.

they said they wanted melee to "feel good"

but the problem with that is you're not in 1v1 fights with things like in Dark Souls or other games of that type where you have lots of "moves" you can do so maneuvering and executing them is a huge part of the game

in this game you're always 1v10.  your hits are AoE sweeps not single target attacks.  and furthermore your attacks aren't doing huge amounts of damage that would make lunging into the enemy feel "impactful and meaningful"

they either need to take out the step forward mechanic or give melee characters like ... a BOATLOAD more damage.  enough to where when you're lunging into the enemy swarm you're actually carving out a path through them

@ram1024 quote:

they either need to take out the step forward mechanic or give melee characters like ... a BOATLOAD more damage.  enough to where when you're lunging into the enemy swarm you're actually carving out a path through them

This sounds great to me. Attacks should only make my hero move if I hit the move keys. Furthermore I would LOVE to have a customizable key that let my hero do a lunge attack. (like at Turtles in Time... in case anybody remembers it)

@cheeseburglr quote:

Yeah but this is an indication of an unhealthy mechanic. If a hero or tower requires a particular sphere or passive to be a viable pick, then TE done goofed. Players should feel comfortable using melee characters without any gear at all. That's why I created this thread. I honestly can't see anybody who played DD1 liking this new melee change.

The only funny mele to play is squire tank, i have one with 1700 phys res, 900 magic, 17k hero health and alot hero dmg.

Monk mele is just ***, full ap, or full hero dmg with tank gear, dosesent matter is *** comparing to the squire.

A big problem of this heres is the reason that u explain, because of ur auto control on mele hits, u cant move free and it makes u die alot times, thats why squire is viable, cuz he resist alot dmg and have stun etc.

Id love it if they took that lunge off, it feels so stupid, have no control over my character whilst he's attacking, totally frustrating.

@playlessNamer quote:

Tank squire has just barely to do with mellee combat. Its more about dmgreflection and blocking enemys on traps.

Yeah, the problem with the tank squire is that it's only viable due to a passive. On top of that, it's not really a commentary on how good/bad the melee combat system is, as all you really do is stand there and block.

@Mouldy quote:

have no control over my character whilst he's attacking, totally frustrating.

This is exactly my issue. Ranged characters have total control over their movements, crosshairs, and focus while attacking. The fact that melee characters don't not only feels awkward and unattractive, but unfair.

Melee weapon weight needs an entire revamp honestly. Light weapon should have the same dmg per hit as heavy weapon, therefore dps would be higher. In comparison, bows have the same dmg per hit regardless of shot speed, so a 4 shot/s would give u a huge dps boost vs a 1 shot/s. Light melee weapon loses too much dmg per hit that the overall dps is similiar to heavy weapons. The difference is just the animation.

They fixed the shield-dmg-reflection bug. Now fix the bug pls that mellee heros are FCKN USELESS and UNFUNNY before destroying the few reason to play them in their broken state!

I just still wait for a single nice patch to pimp my game with some money, this one its for sure not!

@dwade123 quote:

Melee weapon weight needs an entire revamp honestly. Light weapon should have the same dmg per hit as heavy weapon, therefore dps would be higher.

I think the two variations should have unique perks to them. For example, a heavy weapon could knock enemies back on every auto while making the Squire harder to knock back himself. A light weapon could increase the Squire's movement speed. Regarding damage, so long as they each have their own unique benefits, I'd say just have the damage be equal between the two weapon types. This would be a nice area to work on after fixing the lunge mechanic.

@playlessNamer quote:

Now fix the bug pls that mellee heros are FCKN USELESS and UNFUNNY before destroying the few reason to play them in their broken state!

The bolded part is the issue. I don't have a problem with TE balancing/hot-fixing broken mechanics, passives, stats, etc. The issue is that melee combat requires broken passives to be playable. If melee was more fluid (no more lunging), and had overall higher DPS, then we could start worrying about passives and such.

I posted about this in another thread, but there is an ongoing conversation happening internally about Hero DPS viability, and bringing some freshness to the meta. I wouldn't expect any major changes, but expect to see some balance passes sometime in the future. 

Thank you for the feedback, Defenders.