Sign in to follow this  
draemn

Matchmaking and Game Selection changes... where are they?

So, is it not a huge issue within the community how poorly designed the current matchmaking system is?  Why has it remained unchanged for so long?  How important is it to you and what would you like to see changed/ideas?

Here are some of the big topics:

• Restricting player's ability to join maps based on their skill level.  i.e. currently any lvl 50 can join NM4 games
  • Lack of ability to find desirable games.  Lots of time can be wasted joining and leavings games until you find one.
  • No way to create your own public game on a specific map if there is a game in progress

Some of my thoughts on what I see as the issue or what I'd like to see change:

1) There should be some kind of filter to prevent players of very low skill levels from joining games that are grossly above their skill level.  The old iPWR restriction was better than nothing if you ask me.  It's been debated a lot with no conclusion as to what people feel will be the most effective, but we really want something.

2) I hate trying to find an "active" public game.  The only option I have is the "random" button (which sometimes misses active games... I'm looking at you liferoot forest), which leaves you wasting a ton of time if the random selection either sends you to an empty new game or a map you have zero interest in playing.  If Trendy doesn't want to go back to the server browser of previous games, here are my suggestions:

• On each "map choice" on the war table, put current game info each little map icon.  Show us how many games with "open spots" are currently on that map, the number of those which are "in progress games" (no longer in the initial build phase), and the largest number of open slots out of the games available (for people trying to play as a party).
  • Give us filters to the random button to control what kind of games it will put us in and how long we're willing to wait.  Examples: Checkboxes for which maps it can put you in, game types (incursion, endgame, onslaught), selection for minimum current wave (0 for new game/build phase, 1 for first wave or higher, etc), minimum number of players in game, option to "wait to be matched" where it'll put you in a new game once there are 3 other people in the queue with matching conditions, how long you'll wait for it to try and find you matching games(i.e. 1-5 minutes before it gives up).

3) I really dislike having to find a map nobody is playing, lose the map, return to tavern.... AND THEN I can create my own public game on a map from scratch.  The issue for me is when I join a map and the players are playing a map above their skill level and I'm trying to farm that map quickly and efficiently.  In this scenario, we don't want to play together because we have very different objectives but I have no direct way to play that map publicly until their "game instance" fills up.

@lupus quote:

it seems there are a lot of designers and very few programmers on this game

They do make a lot of pretty looking things, don't they?

I can see why they moved away from the game list, it encourages people to not be self-sufficient!

However, the total lack of information regarding games is frustrating

I like Draemn's Suggestion about giving us more information.

@draemn quote:
  • On each "map choice" on the war table, put current game info each little map icon.  Show us how many games with "open spots" are currently on that map, the number of those which are "in progress games" (no longer in the initial build phase), and the largest number of open slots out of the games available (for people trying to play as a party).

If we had this, even with no details about players then we could choose which one to join or have the option to start fresh!

@lupus quote:

Anyone have a number on how many employees are working on this game? I'd imagine they are very rich by now since free to play launched. 

@Recon^ quote:

@lupus quote:

Anyone have a number on how many employees are working on this game? I'd imagine they are very rich by now since free to play launched. 

Shame on you! They are underpaid, overworked, nice people who haven't made a world of riches off us (not yet anyways).

@draemn quote:

@Recon^ quote:

@lupus quote:

Shame on you! They are underpaid, overworked, nice people who haven't made a world of riches off us (not yet anyways).

To think Trendy isn't very wealthy off of this game is foolish. 

Trendy are making money don't worry, they have said to have over 1000000 concurrent users atm. Now how that money is divided is another story.

Anyway I agree matchmaking should be fixed. I too miss the named lobby where you could join people looking for specific things for their game. It won't stop the leeching, but it's a step in the right direction.