playing monk effeciently

so im fresh, played for about 5 minutes to make sure the settings are right, and i will be playing after work. 

i play monk and i am wondering if there are any threads on how to play effeciently? i looked but could not find any. are there any good guides on youtube? 

seems like a good community so i figured id ask, thx for the read!

I suggest you take a look at the guides on Steam. There are a few good ones there - not only for monk but also general knowledge and other chars. http://steamcommunity.com/app/236110/guides/

lol the Monk guide there is hillarious, really. But sadly not very helpfull.

What kind of monk do you want to play King? I guess it is a dps Monk of some kind who can help active with the waves.

General stuff you need to do:

• repair walls
  • smash up frozen target to instant kill them
  • focus shoot air maybe (block bomber)
  • if you are not tanky, kite. This means move to the enemies till you touch them (maybe throuw a few hits in) then when their attack animation starts move backwards, repeat this and you can bring a wave to a stop. Works very well with most bosses too.
doing these already makes you a very effecient monk player and helpfull too.

For fighting i would suggest you to go for ATK/CRIT passiv: Crit chance items. This will lead your damage to over 100k aoe hits which can be even further raised if you get heroic damage boost items (on weapon and relic) then you can max out the damage boost of your third spell and nearly double your and your surroundings allies damage output.

For the stat points on your hero, i would recommend max ATK, 15 points in Hero crit, rest in health.

Spheres go with small: health atk crit, middle crit chance stun chance on hit, big any of your liking, uber any of your liking too (except the monk uber)

This is kinda a small guide you can say, but that is all you need for a good fighting monk =)

lol, the joke.

I tryed a squire on dps to fight mellee. It works barely bad in NM3. Skill the Monk on Herodmg and Herocrit? Maybe you can get a damage per second out once or twice while the Huntres makes damage per minute all the time over and over again from far away.

I have big problems too to play the monk ingame. I can run NM4 solo with my huntress but changing to the monk to get him some farm (i can afk NM3 and my monk is equipped to the border of NM3) is impossible. Repair is not enough. The difference between repairing, have overview over all the defenses, making 60k dps permanent without even a second pause, throwing 120k Phönix and other spells in and a monk i way to big.

Even when my monk would do 100k damage per attack, all this pauses in attacking, moving backward, heal, die, watch behind you to check wall hp,.... in my opinion all this mellee classes are just funbuilds and even the fun is very fast gone.

Monk Guide:

Efficient way to play monk? Go in buildphase, drop some sticks, some serenety, maybe a antiair and then leave and let usefull heros play the combat phase. Get defpower and Karma/Radiance, Boostaura, purge evil on the weapon.

nuff said.

@dreamanime quote:

lol the Monk guide there is hillarious, really. But sadly not very helpfull.

What kind of monk do you want to play King? I guess it is a dps Monk of some kind who can help active with the waves.

General stuff you need to do:

• repair walls
  • smash up frozen target to instant kill them
  • focus shoot air maybe (block bomber)
  • if you are not tanky, kite. This means move to the enemies till you touch them (maybe throuw a few hits in) then when their attack animation starts move backwards, repeat this and you can bring a wave to a stop. Works very well with most bosses too.
doing these already makes you a very effecient monk player and helpfull too.

For fighting i would suggest you to go for ATK/CRIT passiv: Crit chance items. This will lead your damage to over 100k aoe hits which can be even further raised if you get heroic damage boost items (on weapon and relic) then you can max out the damage boost of your third spell and nearly double your and your surroundings allies damage output.

For the stat points on your hero, i would recommend max ATK, 15 points in Hero crit, rest in health.

Spheres go with small: health atk crit, middle crit chance stun chance on hit, big any of your liking, uber any of your liking too (except the monk uber)

This is kinda a small guide you can say, but that is all you need for a good fighting monk =)

The thing is, if you know how to do all of these things and are a good player.... Why not play a different class and make yourself about 2x as effective? The squire can do all of those things but better because he doesn't die. Also the squire is not hindered as much by grounded lanes because both monk combat abilities do nothing against them. 

All i can say is alot people in nm 4 fighting with a monk. He has a high damage output, way higher then a squire and it is not just one second of attack or so. Squire can tank better and hold a wave, but for monk it is all about damage output if you go full it. Huntress is always good but Monk ain't bad at all too and can kill mag res lanes just as fast, if not faster. Obviously he lacks in the area vs phys res lanes. But you should always play to your strength anyway.

I don't know what you do wrong so that you can't do it, don't see your play style. Maybe add a pet with cc ability or bear kira (which is perfect for a meele monk) to him and you will see how good he is. No a pet like this is not a requirement it is just an usefull addition (for those who like to turn around every single word).

Edit:

Also again like in many topics, why are so many just on the negative part. The topic is about how to do and play a good monk kinda, and that's what i answered and tried to help the op with. Why people just randomly start to talk down and deny infos? Or badtalk ideas. Maybe put something usefull towards this topic instead?

Now, it is known far and wide that I suck pretty bad, but I've had some success with an AP/DPS monk with the Purge Evil weapon and Tower Range Spheres. 

But, like I said, I am pretty awful. :)

Monk needs an uber that prevents knock back and a passive % to damage resist or protection shield. Getting knocked back and being squishy doesn't help his cause. As pointed out ranged can dps with 100% uptime where as melee has to stop due to knock back and health issues. 

What does a monk on a grounded lane?

Why has the weakest hero ingame the heaviest hardcounter?

I kick every player in pubs who dont play huntress. I build up, get to round 2-3 and then change to monk or squire. Every public joining monk gets instakicked. I break my brain how to get a useless hero played in NM4 to get him some farm and then some publics just join as monk in NM4? pfff, nope, never! Every bad equipped 15kdps huntress is more usefull than a monk.

Is this anyway on the to-do list to fix the mellee issue in this game? Should really be in the next patch.

@playlessNamer quote:

What does a monk on a grounded lane?

Why has the weakest hero ingame the heaviest hardcounter?

I kick every player in pubs who dont play huntress. I build up, get to round 2-3 and then change to monk or squire. Every public joining monk gets instakicked. I break my brain how to get a useless hero played in NM4 to get him some farm and then some publics just join as monk in NM4? pfff, nope, never! Every bad equipped 15kdps huntress is more usefull than a monk.

Is this anyway on the to-do list to fix the mellee issue in this game? Should really be in the next patch.

Mr Negative over here, OP was after suggestions on how to play monk! They said they have only played long enough to get their settings sorted, you not remember back that far, but up to about NM3 every class is viable.

[[136109,users]]
The monk is a support class, you will struggle to use him as the primary DPS/Builder.
Lightning auras are good for thining the waves out but will not be good for killing bosses or mini bosses.

I would suggest getting to level 5 (which won't take long) so that you are able to get a second character and then use the monk in conjunction with your other hero! Having an apprentice or a squire set up  a few defences behind the aura to take care of any pesky mobs that make it though your lightning auras will work well for a long time!

Try things out! have a bit of fun, people are just a bit closed minded because once you get to the hardest difficulty then only one style of building is done, it doesn't mean its the only way the works, but it is the easiest!

@Doctor_neo quote:

Try things out! have a bit of fun, people are just a bit closed minded because once you get to the hardest difficulty then only one style of building is done, it doesn't mean its the only way the works, but it is the easiest!

NM4 should get a seperate sub forum so  it dont mix up with storys about supposedly working stuff in any random other difficulty.

IMO, monk is better than the squire if you are looking for a melee DPS. If he is well geared and hanging out in a serenity, he can hold a lane just as well as a squire, while doing far more damage. And yes, I'm talking about NM4

• 4 weeks later...

@playlessNamer quote:

@Turkish1801 quote:

If he is well geared and hanging out in a serenity,

Can you descripe that "well geared"?

Herodmg/Herohealth?

My monk is in NM4 gear (mostly cast-offs from my other characters, not much in terms of secondary stats), with every piece having hero attack, and the rest split between ability power and hero health. Honestly, I'm not sure if that is the best way to gear it; my gut tells me that having more health and less ability power might be worth it, as the most impressive thing about his ability is the ease with which he can shatter.

Those questions aside, I can say that I REALLY enjy playing the monk, it is a blast, with lots of utility. You can push or shatter with your abilities, and your damage will far outshine that of a squire, with increased utility to boot IMO.