How dd2 should monetize (devs read please)

I don't understand why this game should monetize on BAGS.

DEVS: When you got an awesome game like this, you can have people support you my buying COSMETIC stuff - there are people willing to spend thousands of dollars on those. You don't need to have a gun on my head so I will pay not to have to sort so much through so many items! You really don't! Or I will see you as telling me: "pay me or this game will boring", when you should be telling me quite the opposite

The formula is very simple, and you should keep to it: when you make an awesome game, people will play it a lot and get hooked. When they are already hooked, if the game is good they will keep on even after they are bored of a lot of things like sounds, start screen,  character costumes, pet models, pet attack model, weapon animation, etc That's when you offer them a nice cosmetic variation, and they will buy not only to have some fresh air into the game, but to support you guys.

I have played so much csgo and love ValvE so much and was so bored of my default knife skin I had to buy a $80 new cosmetic knife. I wouldn't have though, if ValvE didn't ask nicely. Not having the knife didn't influence my gameplay AT ALL, and this is the definition of COSMETIC.

It's true, dd2 is not pay to win, but it is definitely pay-not-to-be-over-bored-all-the-time. My point is it doesn't need to be this way. I don't know if there is some executive or so telling you this is the way for big bucks, but I'm telling you it's not. Sell us cosmetic items and awesome events you can only take part if you pay (no special op loot, but cosmetic stuff, and over all FUN, different kinds of FUN. Dota2 had this awesome event where they changed the way the core game worked by introducing a big monster for each team. It was so awesome man, and if you payed for DLC you could get cosmetic awesome items!

Dota2 even sells different game starter screens, and people pay for them! But you gotta understand the premise: dota2 is an almost perfect game with very few bugs. It is highly balanced,  and highly pleasurable to play. If it was not the case, people wouldn't spend money with cosmetics - this kind of expenditure only happens when people support something. It's like a generous tip for that waitress which not only gives you an amazing service, but works on that restaurant with such an amazing food. Nobody tips at burguer king.

If you guys trusted dd2 more, you would charge only for cosmetics, and never for something that compromises fun. It's a matter of LOVE, you see. I personally don't like the way you're going now and won't be supporting it, but apart from that, i'm sure YOU WOULD MAKE MORE MONEY BY DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY, and also your Consumer Lifetive Value would rise, because there are thousands of players that feel exactly as I do, and they will be leaving, and they will be holding their wallets, until you do it the right way.

Dungeon defenders 2 can still get to be on of the top 10 games of the last years.

Best of luck,

lupus

I still would like to see: Pet affection for gems. XP for gems. Wyvern tokens for gems.

None of the above gives an advantage, it just kills boredom.

I actually suggested the bag bundle and would do it again. You can max out your bags very quickly for pretty cheap. I honestly do not see a issue with it especially with the new bundle. Also I don't feel bag space compromises fun.

I dont see an issue with the free bags o.o

i keep clearing my stuff since 90% of the gear drops is useless anyway.. so i just sell most of it.. and only keep mythicals/legendary stuff lol

and selling bags is a very common practice in games.. even in Valve.. for example in Team Fortres 2.. u need to spend money to have your bag space increased.. is not a lot u need to spend.. but u have to.. lol

@Xopo quote:

Also I don't feel bag space compromises fun.

it will be better when they stop dropping 99.99999% loot that's useless.  the problem right now is, clicking to sell every wave is tedious.  scanning your inventory should only be done in the event where you think there's progression to be made from doing so, whether it be emptying your bags after a run to prepare for the next one, or to check an item's stats and equip upgrades

taking the trash from the kitchen out to the big dumpster isn't HARD it's just a pain in the ass

As long as it doesn't go worse then the bags, I don't see an issue.... mostly I side with people on cosmetics though. The moment you start giving drop boosters and stuff is where we have pay2win issues.

I personally purchased a few bags on my account and I can tell you they are useful.  I don't think they should ever become free. They're great for storing Pet Food and Reroll items... and as the game progresses I assume those kind of necessities will only grow, for people with more than 4 End Game Characters (Nightmare 4 - such as myself); each and every slot becomes useful as heck. It means I don't have to walk around each wave separating slots and items considering the sheer amount of drops you get in the later levels... it's a convenience thing there is no real advantage to it but you are essentially paying for a convenience so buying them isn't that unreasonable considering the game is F2P. 

@M e t h O z quote:

I dont see an issue with the free bags o.o

i keep clearing my stuff since 90% of the gear drops is useless anyway.. so i just sell most of it.. and only keep mythicals/legendary stuff lol

and selling bags is a very common practice in games.. even in Valve.. for example in Team Fortres 2.. u need to spend money to have your bag space increased.. is not a lot u need to spend.. but u have to.. lol

tf2 is a failure dude, and I have played it for a full year and don't remember having to pay for bag space.. I payed to play special events though.

@ArcadeBug quote:

I personally purchased a few bags on my account and I can tell you they are useful.  I don't think they should ever become free. They're great for storing Pet Food and Reroll items... and as the game progresses I assume those kind of necessities will only grow, for people with more than 4 End Game Characters (Nightmare 4 - such as myself); each and every slot becomes useful as heck. It means I don't have to walk around each wave separating slots and items considering the sheer amount of drops you get in the later levels... it's a convenience thing there is no real advantage to it but you are essentially paying for a convenience so buying them isn't that unreasonable considering the game is F2P. 

of course you wound't like them becoming free as you've paid for them. but I'm not paying for it, and many others ain't, cause we don't consider it legitimate.

they money Trendy WON"T make on us will affect the quality of the game you play, might I remember u.

@lupus quote:

@ArcadeBug quote:

of course you wound't like them becoming free as you've paid for them. but I'm not paying for it, and many others ain't, cause we don't consider it legitimate.

they money Trendy WON"T make on us will affect the quality of the game you play, might I remember u.

... You would prefer a game handed to you on a silver platter? Free content for hours of fun with minimal effort? ... Seems kinda boring - Valve endorsed games in general have recently had booming success in the field of cosmetics and other non P2W items one of which is... you guessed it "bag space." Eg. Dota 2 and CS:GO (which you have both mentioned in this post) two of their most grossing games currently, none of which effect the way players play the game but add convenience to players with an excessive load of items. I paid for my bags when I had my first level 1 character in support of the Devs similarly I purchased skins... If they became free because they no longer saw them as a convenience enhancement tool I wouldn't mind. You start off with what 3 Bags, auto loot function can manage Rares, Mythicals and Legendarys... Which is similar to the setup I already have (with my 7 bags), it just means I can hold larger amounts of loot between waves without having to sell it. I mean the way the bags were originally makes the player activity check their loot allowing for more in game interaction... admittedly my set up lowers that significantly but who really wants to play another "Castle Crashers" where you set up your defences and come back in 10 minutes and press play. I think bags should remain at an expense because really you're furthering your own experience... Who would want to have like 10 NM4 characters in a years tune each only having a few pieces of gear extra to swap out in order to save bag space for more? - If you're just having a whinge because current bag space is hard to deal with you'll probably find that soon enough they will probably increase either bag size or bag numbers just to deal with influx of new items and classes they'll be creating.  I mean the scavenger is always happy to hold onto your loot if you aren't ;) 

@Woqini quote:

I still would like to see: Pet affection for gems. XP for gems. Wyvern tokens for gems.

Having these things for money means you're in the region between "Not having to pay to do everything" and "You don't have to pay and can still get everything, but paying will make you op faster." So, in a sense, it IS an advantage as it gives you more time to achieve things.

I would not pay for any of the current cosmetic customes in the game because you can't really alter and customize them. If you buy the magma mage custome for example, it's no different from all the other people who bought it too. But it would be another story if you could mix up the magma mage accessories with other accessories in the game. I'd buy all the customes just to mix everything up and make cool custom outfits.

DD1's DLC content was good. I'd pay for new heroes and maps in a heartbeat. I think it was a good system. 

@AjiBuster994 quote:
@Woqini quote:

Having these things for money means you're in the region between "Not having to pay to do everything" and "You don't have to pay and can still get everything, but paying will make you op faster." So, in a sense, it IS an advantage as it gives you more time to achieve things.

NO it's not, i don't get anything, you can't - i only get it faster. Not pay2win.

Agree with what have been said [[133074,users]], idk why they are not doing this. I mean, i have gems, i want to pet affection level fast. And when it's empty, why should i not pay again. I have alot of gems, and i'm not doing anything with em.

@lupus quote:

I have played so much csgo and love ValvE so much and was so bored of my default knife skin I had to buy a $80 new cosmetic knife. I wouldn't have though, if ValvE didn't ask nicely. Not having the knife didn't influence my gameplay AT ALL, and this is the definition of COSMETIC.

this is mine è_é : http://www.imghost.eu/images/2015/11/22/730_screenshots_2014-10-16_00002.jpg

@ArcadeBug quote:

@lupus quote:

@ArcadeBug quote:

you guessed it "bag space." Eg. Dota 2 and CS:GO (which you have both mentioned in this post) two of their most grossing games currently, none of which effect the way players play the game but add convenience to players with an excessive load of items

Dude such a thing does not exist neither in csgo nor in dota2. I don't know where have you seen this, but it's not true. On both games bag space is absolutely FREE, mainly because loot is NOT EXCESSIVE.

Your just trying to defend the money you spent.

@Colonel Rambo quote:

Agree with what have been said lupus, idk why they are not doing this. I mean, i have gems, i want to pet affection level fast. And when it's empty, why should i not pay again. I have alot of gems, and i'm not doing anything with em.

@lupus quote:

this is mine è_é : http://www.imghost.eu/images/2015/11/22/730_screenshots_2014-10-16_00002.jpg

nice knife :)

your minimap seems odd. why?

dude I'm laughing at the fact trendy could make MUCH MORE MONEY and they simply won't if they don't change their mindset.

they should hire that dude which created the whole skin thing and economics on counter-strike. he's a big deal economist, for what I can remember. LOL

@lupus quote:

your minimap seems odd. why?

dude I'm laughing at the fact trendy could make MUCH MORE MONEY and they simply won't if they don't change their mindset.

they should hire that dude which created the whole skin thing and economics on counter-strike. he's a big deal economist, for what I can remember. LOL

it's a screenshot of like 1 year old x)

but i mean, it's not our problem if they dont make money, so who cares.

@Woqini quote:

@AjiBuster994 quote:
@Woqini quote:

NO it's not, i don't get anything, you can't - i only get it faster. Not pay2win.

The fact that you said "[I] only get it faster" reinforces what I said. It's an advantage in that you can get those faster and therefore NOT spend your time on getting those, and instead spend it on something else, such as farming new gear. You basically are helping my argument.

@AjiBuster994 quote:

@Woqini quote:

@AjiBuster994 quote:
@Woqini quote:

The fact that you said "[I] only get it faster" reinforces what I said. It's an advantage in that you can get those faster and therefore NOT spend your time on getting those, and instead spend it on something else, such as farming new gear. You basically are helping my argument.

Errrm, no i'm not, you just don't get it.

As long as i don't get gear, you can't have - heroes you can't have - uber pets you can't have, and other stuff that makes me better than you,  then it's not unfair or pay2win at all.