Please help us with loot testing! [Update: Loot Test is Live!]

Update: Loot test is now live

Update:  We're still finalizing all of the technical hurdles to getting a large number of players into the test. We'll have more information next week!

Hi Defenders,

We're making some changes to how loot drops and rolls, and we'd love your help in testing out the changes! In a nutshell, we want to focus on quality loot drops over quantity. Stats and passives will now roll together in a more intelligent way, which should make finding upgrades easier. 

We're still finalizing the details on how to get access to these changes. We're hoping to have the process all lined up by the end of the week, so keep an eye on this thread later this week for more details!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will keep an eye on it, =) I do search for specific gear anyway currently. So will see if there is an change compared to the last weeks.

@mindlessdefender quote:

Less quantity = less gold, will they sell for more gold to make up for the low gold income?

I spoke with design about this yesterday. Our current plan is to increase the sell value of each item when we decrease the loot drop rate so that the gold income should be similar to what it is now. I say similar because it might not be exactly the same, but our goal is to make it as close to what it is now as we can. The purpose of the change is to make item discovery and item management more enjoyable. We'll work with the testing group to make sure gold is in the right spot!

I should also mention this is all subject to change. We'll have the final details about our loot changes after testing is over.

am farming a purge evil polearm for 4 days now, not even a single one dropped...but thats the game, its about farming and then you if you finally get this hell of a loot thing, its really special and unique to you

i mean this makes the game fun, playing lot of time to get the best

i hope you dont destroy the farming with this update...

@0564 quote:

That's why we're doing testing this early. We want to get as many people playing for as long as possible on the new loot changes so we can get an accurate assessment and make adjustments. :)

Given you might get 4 or 5 properly rolled items per run (of which maybe 1 is an upgrade), how low will the drop rate be? The counterpoint to quality over quantity is that gamers are, by nature, obsessed with numbers. Everyone wants to DPS to see the big numbers (no one wants to raid heal or tank). I bought 4 extra bags because I was getting so much every run. If I magically go from 8 bags of loot per run to 1, I better get my gems back for those 4 bags.

Since I'm boycotting DD2 until they hero deck is removed, I've been going back to different free MMOs. One thing to realize is that drop rates for items, even gray crap, is higher than Dungeon Defenders. Pretty much every other mob drops at least one thing (money included).

I think you are going about fixing loot the wrong way. I don't think the issue is too much loot nor gray -> blue being useless 99% of the time. I think the issue is that your legendary (which drops waaaaaay more than other games) and epic (also waaaaaaaay more than other games) is too random. I don't expect greens and, to a lesser extent, blues to necessarily be 'ideal rolls'. If an epic drops in a game, I'm doing a dance because it should be something that either sells for a ton OR I know it's going to be an upgrade. If a legendary drops, I better be able to equip it on some character. This is true in virtually every game with loot. I run NM3 and know I have an epic or legendary item via the chest. It doesn't matter any more because 99% of the time it's vendor trash.

This is the issue. It isn't quantity. It's that your "rarest" of loot is far too worthless. Instead of going from one extreme to the other, how about landing in the same middle of EVERY other game.

@jmhjm quote:

If I magically go from 8 bags of loot per run to 1, I better get my gems back for those 4 bags.

good point!

@0564 quote:

am farming a purge evil polearm for 4 days now, not even a single one dropped...but thats the game, its about farming and then you if you finally get this hell of a loot thing, its really special and unique to you

i mean this makes the game fun, playing lot of time to get the best

I have 485 hours in the game and I HAVE NOT GOTTEN A SINGLE PURGE EVIL YET. I'm convinced it can't possibly be working as intended and am hoping that this loot update changes things. :/

Love the update but how will this update affect our current gear?

Also while we on the topic of loot is it possible to make(have?) a hotkey so u can hide the loot(beams) because they get very annoying when trying to build and u have loot in your face when lanes change and you need to rebuild.  

@DemonXBolland quote:

Love the update but how will this update affect our current gear?

Also while we on the topic of loot is it possible to make(have?) a hotkey so u can hide the loot(beams) because they get very annoying when trying to build and u have loot in your face when lanes change and you need to rebuild.  

They just got rid of all the lower tier loot beams in this patch. So that shouldn't be much of an issue anymore :)

Looking forward to testing these changes. Thanks for the update [[4370,users]]

I have noticed that currently, the drop stats are not totally random. It seems to me that defense power and defense health drop much less frequently than hero stats. I've also noticed certain stats tend to drop in pairs, although I haven't taken notes regarding the specifics. Is there a formula you guys currently use to weigh certain stats over others? It doesn't feel as random as DD1. 

I think you're on the right way. 

Just a thing to think about.

When ppl are complaining about the legend and myth stats. Maybe try to put a tavern npc, that allows you to reroll only "one" stat on your gear. Because that's true , that farming a weapon with stats needed + good passiv, is sometimes kinda hard. 

I'm kinda an hardcore gamer, so i don't really care how it does now. And ofc i don't want the game to be that much easy to gear up.

But if you makes legendary harder to drop (i mean a lot harder) and you put a thing like the npc to reroll one stat on gear. It could be a AWSOME. The gearing time will be a lot more enjoyable. 

I'm actually around 700 ilvl with my whole 7 characters. It's kinda hard for exemple to get on my waller : a legend around 700 ilvl unupgraded + hero hp  + def hp + hearty block on good rolls + (repair rate etc )

Taking more than 15 rounds without getting a chest (even blue or green etc) with hearty blocade on ( without talking about def hp and hero hp ) 

So yeah it could be really wise to add things like that in this game :)

But please !!!!! Don't make it too much casual, by simplifying the game more and more !!!! ;)

Greetings,

Chorti

@iamisom quote:

Hi Defenders,

We're making some changes to how loot drops and rolls, and we'd love your help in testing out the changes! In a nutshell, we want to focus on quality loot drops over quantity. Stats and passives will now roll together in a more intelligent way, which should make finding upgrades easier. 

We're still finalizing the details on how to get access to these changes. We're hoping to have the process all lined up by the end of the week, so keep an eye on this thread later this week for more details!

i didnt read the whole thread, so sorry if someone already said it.

you shouldnt forget that some ppl want (just an example) hero hp and defense power on the same item (why doesnt matter).  so you cant let item roll only with specific stat combos. not every item should have the perfect combo, whe need trash items.

i hope i could make my point clear.

@Chorti quote:

But please !!!!! Don't make it too much casual, by simplifying the game more and more !!!! ;)

Glad I'm not the only one worried about this. :) It's true getting nearly perfect gear is difficult Impossible right now. But If we had prefect gear, how many of us would still be interested in even playing anymore?

Less loot on the ground but better loot and selling for more is the way to go, as i think we will mostly agree.

Good loot for sale in the vendor shops, like there was once, would also be good.

Specific increased weapon drop chances from specific mini bosses.

Griblok drops Impaler Cutter

Malthius drops Purge Evil staff

Plauging Hulk drops Chilling Touch

Quibly drops Phantom Phoenix

Skeleleon drops Toxic Shock

There are also the three specials from Liferoot Incursion that could also drop named weapons.

Really like this post. Bosses and special enemies should drop specific items the majority of the time, if not always. Now they don't always need to be legendary by any means, but knowing that 90% of the time if I kill Malthius, I'll get a purge evil staff, would be much more enjoyable. Even if it's not an upgrade of what I already have, at least I know I can reliably farm it from somewhere.

@Fozzie quote:

Less loot on the ground but better loot and selling for more is the way to go, as i think we will mostly agree.

Good loot for sale in the vendor shops, like there was once, would also be good.

There are also the three specials from Liferoot Incursion that could also drop named weapons.

@xCrispy quote:

Bosses and special enemies should drop specific items the majority of the time, if not always. Now they don't always need to be legendary by any means, but knowing that 90% of the time if I kill Malthius, I'll get a purge evil staff, would be much more enjoyable. Even if it's not an upgrade of what I already have, at least I know I can reliably farm it from somewhere.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

This sounds very nice to me, especially the reduction of loot. I find it a bit tiring to scroll through 6 bags after each map to look for a item to use.

I hope i will be able to help you

@Professor_Valconian quote:

@xCrispy quote:

Bosses and special enemies should drop specific items the majority of the time, if not always. Now they don't always need to be legendary by any means, but knowing that 90% of the time if I kill Malthius, I'll get a purge evil staff, would be much more enjoyable. Even if it's not an upgrade of what I already have, at least I know I can reliably farm it from somewhere.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

more yes yes yes

@Fozzie quote:

liking this

I'd swap Plaguing Hulk to Toxic Shock and Skeleleon to Chilling Touch, fits better with the toxic, or maybe Sammy on Liferoot who poisons you makes more sense.

Seeing as Skeleleon is bugged at the moment and respawns like Trikk does on the spooky maps, that would make farming that perfect Chilling Touch that much easier. apprentice_small.png