Sign in to follow this  
Ajido

Just Got Burned By Lock Boxes

uTMGcLg.jpg

This is my first week playing the game, and since I've been enjoying it so much I bought some gems, got a couple bags, bought a slot for a 5th character. Since I had some gems left over I thought it'd be cool to open a couple of lock boxes. I open the first and get Lover's Greaves. "Awesome!" I thought, my first one and it's Mythical rarity! I open a second and it's...Lover's Greaves!

It's 150 gems so I'm not going to throw a tantrum or demand a refund, it's just disappointing is all, and I don't think many people are going to spend gems on these boxes when this result can happen with no kind of recourse for the player. Either remove these boxes from the game or put some measures in place so players don't feel cheated.

I posted what I feel is a reasonable suggestion here:

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/128522/dealing-with-lock-box-duplicates

Theres really no point in spending gems on lockboxes. its a complete waste as you can buy keys with wyvern tokens which you get plenty of if you play constantly. For future reference save your gems for new skins that get released in the future or other stuff that you may not be able to get without gems.

@Arcflare quote:

Theres really no point in spending gems on lockboxes. its a complete waste as you can buy keys with wyvern tokens which you get plenty of if you play constantly. For future reference save your gems for new skins that get released in the future or other stuff that you may not be able to get without gems.

The idea I proposed in the link was that the cost of opening a lockbox with gems goes up, but instead of getting screwed by a duplicate, the player is guaranteed to get something he doesn't own out of the box. And boxes opened with keys from the free to play players would remain the same as they are now where you run the risk of getting screwed by a duplicate.

there shouldn't be a chance to be screwed on things you pay real money for.  PERIOD

that is severely bad design and something that should change IMMEDIATELY before more people get screwed

@ram1024 quote:

there shouldn't be a chance to be screwed on things you pay real money for.  PERIOD

that is severely bad design and something that should change IMMEDIATELY before more people get screwed

Also in case it's not obvious to some, it's not really about entitlement like "I paid money and I demand everything!" This is just as bad for Trendy as it is the players. Because as it stands now, the way it functions will turn off players from spending gems on the boxes. With some improvements, players can feel more comfortable spending real money opening boxes which in turn is positive for Trendy's funding.

I would never open lock boxes with gems, I would never open lock boxes period, (I'm more of a bought set guy) but I agree that this should be fixed. It should not be able to roll an item you already have.

@Ajido quote:

@ram1024 quote:

Also in case it's not obvious to some, it's not really about entitlement like "I paid money and I demand everything!" This is just as bad for Trendy as it is the players. Because as it stands now, the way it functions will turn off players from spending gems on the boxes. With some improvements, players can feel more comfortable spending real money opening boxes which in turn is positive for Trendy's funding.

Still you pay money if you use Gems and currently you have the chance to get nothing in return for it if you already have the item... 

Because of this I dont open them, I just sell them, they are useless until you have receive only Items you dont have yet. The Gems are better spend on additional bags and skins. 

In my personal opinion this shouldn't happen. If you have rolled a luckbox item it should no longer drop for you but only the remaining items from the set. This would mean you could get a set safely with Betsy Coins if you choose not to use them on hero/tower items which is a large trade off but in my opinion a fair one.

If no such safety net is in place I'd recommend at least giving duplicates a very high sale value. Something that is worth 9 Betsy Coins of effort since you are likely already disappointed for rolling a duplicate.