Sign in to follow this  
calranthe

Taking a break and returning to DD1

@Professor_Valconian quote:

Yes. You've nailed it on the head. DD1 is probably the easiest game ever made because everything is so overpowered. Anyone can pick it up and within a matter of minutes they can just roll through all difficulty levels. That's what we want for DD2 as well. We want a total AFK-fest with zero challenge. Right now it's just too hard and that means it isn't fun. Bring back the cake walk that was DD1.

Hahahaha! Best post on this forum.

Yes. You've nailed it on the head. DD1 is probably the easiest game ever made because everything is so overpowered. Anyone can pick it up and within a matter of minutes they can just roll through all difficulty levels. That's what we want for DD2 as well. We want a total AFK-fest with zero challenge. Right now it's just too hard and that means it isn't fun. Bring back the cake walk that was DD1.

10/10 best troll NA.

@JCourtney quote:

So basically everyone thought DD1 was fun, because everything was ridiculously overpowered?  

You obviously have never played DD1. DD1 NM in some cases was far harder than the NM4 we have now with "everything being overpowered." DD1's NM took days/weeks of grinding to even be able to remotely pass on the easier levels like Ramparts which was everyones entry and farming map into basic NM. Some maps were so hard that you actually had to have the best and rarest gear in the game to even have a remote chance of clearing it.

@Arcflare quote:

10/10 best troll NA.

@JCourtney quote:

So basically everyone thought DD1 was fun, because everything was ridiculously overpowered?  

You obviously have never played DD1. DD1 NM in some cases was far harder than the NM4 we have now with "everything being overpowered." DD1's NM took days/weeks of grinding to even be able to remotely pass on the easier levels like Ramparts which was everyones entry and farming map into basic NM. Some maps were so hard that you actually had to have the best and rarest gear in the game to even have a remote chance of clearing it.

Yes try DD1 100% solo and you'll find nightmare more challenging and at the same time so much more rewarding. Hands down the most enjoyment I have had from any game was breaking into nightmare on DD1. 

Yes DD1 was overpowered but you worked damn hard and farmed a lot of equipment to get that gear, it felt really good and fun to one shot an ogre why ? because you worked through hundreds of hours  of content bought all the dlc and worked at it over time.

I am 200 hours into DD2 and in no way at any point did I feel rewarded for the work I put it, be in a month long quest or breaking into MM3 for the first time. the improvements in towers and gear was so incremental there was no OMG I got this weapon or oh $%&Y*( look at my towers now.

Balance in a game does not mean weakening,

As a single hero or four against 2000 enemies damn right I should have one hell of a big ass gun to face them with.

DD1 also allowed you to tailor your fun, you could go through the campaign, do a challenge, do survival, challenge you wanted challenge ? turn on survival mode, tick hardcore, set it to Nightmare and then hit one of the hardest maps.

You personally choose what kind of fun you wanted.

@Aheadatime quote:

@calranthe quote:

..even just comparing the fireball tower of an apprentice is laughable.

Just to clarify, did you mean in strength, or in aesthetics? 

More magical in design better sound effects, balls of fire that looked really good, red flaming glow, bloom enough to light a map (not quite) and when you boosted it up it made everything burn :)

@calranthe quote:

@Aheadatime quote:

@calranthe quote:

..even just comparing the fireball tower of an apprentice is laughable.

Just to clarify, did you mean in strength, or in aesthetics? 

More magical in design better sound effects, balls of fire that looked really good, red flaming glow, bloom enough to light a map (not quite) and when you boosted it up it made everything burn :)

Yeah I really appreciate the artwork, design, and sound effects of the DD1 app towers. I was asking because it seems that many people seem to like the graphics and designs for DD2, and I was starting to feel alone in my criticisms. 

@calranthe quote:

DD1 also allowed you to tailor your fun, you could go through the campaign, do a challenge, do survival, challenge you wanted challenge ? turn on survival mode, tick hardcore, set it to Nightmare and then hit one of the hardest maps.

You personally choose what kind of fun you wanted.

This is so true. Survival Nightmare Hardcore on a map like King's Game was so hard and fun at the same time that me and my friends would literally spend 10+ hours at times grinding it out. Even with near maxed out gear we still had problems where if one of us remotely died on a later wave it would be all over because there wouldnt be enough DPS/repairing going on the clear it or god forbid if we got screwed on tile rolls early on and couldnt get DU increases by the 5-6 round.

That is what a real challenge is and even as hard as it was it was arguably the most fun ive ever had in any game. The devs really need to look back as a whole of what defined DD1, what made it great and build upon it more.

@JCourtney quote:

Yes and no. To put it simply, I have played for maybe 60-70 hours in DD2, I have hit level cap with 3 and almost 4 heroes, and I'm ready to farm gear to do NM1. In DD1, I have played 230 hours, am nowhere near level cap, and cannot plausibly complete a single level of nightmare. And I am among those who maintain that DD1 is still better right now. We had a lot more power... and the game was a lot harder.

It's not just that the power scale is wider, although that is a big part of it. It's also less controllable, which is equally important. The DD2 items are so simple you can always minmax them. In DD1, you took what you could find, because items had 10+ stats, some positive some negative, and you just had to cope. Weapons were hella different, and they had more moving parts: ammo, projectile speed, fire rate, weapon damage (separate from hero damage), and that's even before you get into the properties of grenade launchers and unique shot types.

Let's talk about mana, too. Green and blue mana weren't separate, there was just mana. Firing more abilities meant less towers. And you really needed to fire them. There was also two additional upgrade levels on towers (double star and triple star) which were as expensive as they were valuable. And dying used to be a big deal. In DD1, you LOSE ALL MANA YOU ARE CARRYING WHEN YOU DIE. Now you just respawn a few seconds later for free (which is a much shorter respawn). I used to hide behind my towers. Now I hide my towers behind me. As a squire, this is nice, because that was sort of the squire role all along. But it feels weird as a huntress to run out into melee.

Mana wasn't just split into blue and green though. Gold used to also be mana. Yes, the same mana you use during a level. If you wanted to farm money, you had to go to the defense chest and bank the mana - meaning you don't get more towers or abilities or anything - and finish the level with less resources.

When I first started playing DD2, I thought it was great that the different roles of mana had finally been separated. Now I'm not so sure it's a positive. Because at the same time it freed me from making those choices... it also PREVENTS me from making choices. I can't spend my green mana on abilities if I really want to. Mana bomb doesn't take up all my mana anymore, even if I really want to explode. If I need to buy something in the shop (which in DD2, it gonna be an orb, cause RIP blacksmith), I can't just cash in some mana from a level, I just gotta put on the gold bonus orbs and tough it out. Everything has become passive instead of active. Things were messy before, and now they are clean, and I can't help but wonder if that mess was part of the fun.

-------

On the graphics front, I personally liked the DD1 graphics more. They felt more "realistic", even in a very stylized and cartoony world. And more importantly, they felt gritty and gloomy. They felt like something you'd see in a Tolkien story. They felt like... dungeons. Now everything is kind of smooth and pastel. Lots of flat, featureless surfaces and the appearance of Plasticine. Much more childish and cartoony, much less mythic fantasy. It's a nice graphical style, I'm just not sure it's as appropriate for a game about defending dungeons. Although, there are very few "dungeons" in the new maps. Which is surprising, but I guess I don't immediately have a problem with it? Still, there is nothing like that feeling of wonder on the Summit when I looked down and saw the water streaming over the tiles and I just had to stand there and watch it for like ten minutes. The water textures in DD1 were some of the most beautiful things.