Monks are lacking a little...

Now I love the monk, in DD1 and DD2, But i feel like in DD2 as it stands they are lacking a bit. one thing that i would love is not only for there melee attacks to change but also there ranged. One of the best parts of playing a DPS monk was being able to shoot a ridiculous amount of orbs at enemies. It felt amazing getting a new weapon and trying out both the different types of attacks not just one. 

I feel that their towers a lacking a bit too. I do like them but there seems to only be one or two ways to play a monk and thats as a supporting role or a dps. When they support they're mainly only putting down 2 of there towers and thats serenity and boost and i love those but i wish that i could solo with them a little easier. As it stands they're not the best for just going full tower defense. I miss in the first game how you could have giant auras that would do amazing damage but in this one it doesnt feel as good. Now im not saying make them like they were because i know its good to have change, but i would like them to be a little more worth while. 

I have gotten a lot of friends to play the alpha with me because this is and will continue to be one of my favorite games. Every time they want to play the monk it doesnt last long. They dont like how they play and they dont do as much dps as the huntress and their towers arent as good as the squires or apprentice'. I just want to see them be more useful then they already are. 

I know that they arent bad as it stands id just like to see some things improved.

Thoughts?

DPS monk isn't really a thing, players could gear their monk for DPS but I'd rather have a huntress for that, but I know what you mean, right now its like "this class should only do this and that's it", just look at squires only building blockades when there are squire players wanting to DPS, or apprentices only building Frostbite towers, you get the idea

@PixelGames quote:

DPS monk isn't really a thing, players could gear their monk for DPS but I'd rather have a huntress for that, but I know what you mean, right now its like "this class should only do this and that's it", just look at squires only building blockades when there are squire players wanting to DPS, or apprentices only building Frostbite towers, you get the idea

Oh i know there dps isn't really there but thats what im saying i want way more from them. I Main a squire so far and i use them for everything but when i join a group with people they have me do one or two things when i could solo that place lol

@wolfwithagun quote:Oh i know there dps isn't really there but thats what im saying i want way more from them. I Main a squire so far and i use them for everything but when i join a group with people they have me do one or two things when i could solo that place lol

Yea I know, I read somewhere on this forums that Squire's Cannons, along Apprentice's Towers, Monk's Sky Guard and what not, can actually clear Incursion NM 4, when most of us think the only way to do it its Frosty Trap build, I have to see it to believe

@PixelGames quote:

Yea I know, I read somewhere on this forums that Squire's Cannons, along Apprentice's Towers, Monk's Sky Guard and what not, can actually clear Incursion NM 4, when most of us think the only way to do it its Frosty Trap build, I have to see it to believe

Yeah there is always things like that. someone will figure out the best combo lol i can do it on my squire decently but not decently enough lol

so really the only good option for the monk right now is to go build type as this will offer him the most damage. I feel that one thing that is inhibiting the monk is a lack for good uber slot orbs.  Monk is my main and I love him do to his sustain, but he needs to be more than just the guy standing on a healing pad knock things up for his sky guard to hit.  he has great wave clear for small targets but he has no reall way to handle the bigger beefier targets as he has no way to get them to stand in one place.  It would be nice if they made an uber or large slot that made his lightning auras slow targets or greatly increased the attack rate.  this would increase his damage and his wave clear by a lot.

I love good monks in NM4. They know when to pole smash frozen enemies, knockback drakes to traps and have nice boost+serenity auras. They're meant to be support, and a well used one can do more than any huntress can. I'm saying that from a "I bring 4 builders to nm4 and can't do s***" point of view.

@Nefhith quote:

They're meant to be support, and a well used one can do more than any huntress can.

While I agree monk its actually really useful, you went off the boat on this one, they have two different roles, Support and DPS, and with that statement you're actually saying that Monk can replace Huntress's DPS, which is in fact not true at all End Game wise.

The problem with most nm4 games is the air enemies. You can easily get rid of AA for more DU and let hunter handle them. Air enemies, bane of all melee classes.

Would be nice to have a good dps uber for monk...Uber sphere that makes hero boost also increase nearby allies ability power by a % of your ability power, reduces incoming damage by 20%, and last 10 seconds longer! WTB!

Yep I also feel like Monk has over a few consecutive nerfs and fixes that indirectly behaved like nerfs gone from the class to be to rather underwhelming.

Nonetheless Monk is still the king of cheese utility and under 100 DU contributions that no other class can pull off. It would be nice to see the Monk actually as a functional class though and not just a gimmicky way to exploit over powered combinations/items/buffs.

I don't really mind the towers. He was a support class in DD1 and in this game when it comes to towers. Perhaps they should up them a bit or reduce mana cost. But i like the idea of a support class who can't really solo but is strong with other builds. 

As a hero dps, he should be greatly buffed. I agree that it was much cooler when he shot multiple projectiles and had one of the best dps in the game. Right now as a dps hero he is far too underpowered. 

• 2 weeks later...

My $.02 on this.

The monk in this game doesn't feel anything like a monk at all. I say this based on my personal experience and LONG hours of playing a monk in nearly every RPG/FPS/MMO you can name that has a monk character class.

When I think "monk", I think of a support class, to be sure, but not one that is used solely for his auras. A monk is supposed to be fast and agile. This is his key defense from being annhilated by mobs. Also, he has the ability to stun opponents with his martial arts skill(s). Again, as a defense measure. However, a monk is also an 'assassin' type class able to dish out amazing DPS in a short time. Not a sustainable DPS, but short bursts with a CD to balance out his stuns and critical hits. In this game, there is no dodge/parry ability so the only thing left for him is movement speed to get the heck out of the way of that ogre stomp fast enough to avoid taking the one-shot kill.

While a monk can and usually does use a stave of some type, his primary weapon=of-choice is his hands and maybe a dagger/shuriken/sai.  This allows for fast attacks and the possibility to crit (hit a target's weak point) and cause immense damage. Not so much as to defeat any opponent in a single barrage, but enough to cause the target to think twice and aggro on this person that is causing so much pain. (heh)

The monk in this game has a pole smash. Nice but really only useful against frozen targets. Tossing mobs into the air to be hit by air defense is not really a viable option as this pulls the AA away from it's primary purpose of defeating air mobs. I know it CAN work to an advantage but how many monks have you seen in game that actually pay attention and don't use the smash while air mobs are incoming? The monk also has a simple, what I call, "mana missile" that can do a fair amount of damage, but not really useful at nm levels. The chi attack does have it's uses to push lower mobs into traps or over a cliff. It's useless against grounded mobs except to cause some damage. Lastly, he has the ability to heal. I nice touch but then how often is a monk in such a close proximity to the other defenders for it to be useful?  A ranged, single-target heal would be more useful. Then again, everyone has a heal ability that rivals any prior game. The ability to FULLY heal yourself out of combat. Nice, but it renders the monks heal a moot point and powerless. Perhaps the ability to shield his defending companions for x amount of damage (based on ability score) would be a better option. It might just save someone from the bombers/ogres one-shot kills!

What this monk needs is a lot of speed and resist to increase his survivability in the game as a melee class. The squire has a shield and defends well. The monk needs an equivalent in speed or adding a (magic-type) shield to allow him to do his job as a melee class to better help the team as a whole and to become a viable DPS/defender.

A little more balance is needed in this game. Squires perform their role as a tank quite well.  The mage is also well made to add DPS and have some magic abilities to aid the team by slowing/freezing,  (The freezing percent needs to be dropped a little as this is definitely a game-breaker, IMHO) burning and poisoning The huntress does what she does best; DPS from range. (Again, a LOT OP IMHO) The monk...well he has his buff auras and he can DPS at great risk of death!  His base abilities need to be reassessed. A monk needs a high resist to all forms of damage and he needs speed. These are the traits that will make him a more viable melee class. I can think of a handful of ways a monk in this game can be improved upon. Want details or ideas? Maybe in a future post. I've rambled for much too long already! LOL

so Starweaver has some good points. now how a good build monk is supposed to do is have his serenity aruas with his lightning aruas. and you stand there buying time while your aruas do the work. right now the only way for a monk to solo in my opinion is for him to get the added stat that slows enemies that are in his serenity arua. so that you lighting has more time to do more damage. the problem there is that that stat is only on one type of item.(I.E. the relic that gives a ton of defense Health.)  meaning less damage from your lightning auras. and a wall holds them for longer. now one thing about the dps monk. he seems to be more focused on a play style of just grabing points in health ap and ad.  allowing him to push any lane. his heal is some what lacking as you do get a damage boost,but I dont think you get a defense boost. so you heal yourself just to die to enemies....A good way to fix this is to have the heal give temporary damage reduction.

of like (10% +0.5% for every 100 ad you have, and 0.5% for every 50 ap).  that would mean that at lvl 50 with nm1-2 gear you could have 60% damage reduction for a period of time.and if we gave that bonus to based on your gear to nearby allies. boss fights would wipe out the whole team with a single ground slam. I do agree with Starweaver in that monks are agile, but this is more of a mystic monk than an assassin monk.  meaning a difference in how the monk is trained to fight. heals heal is however under par and could use more health healed for the amount of mana burned. the force Push is what I like about the monk but find it to be needing more of something like a slot sphere that drenchs each enemy that is hit by the force push. call it rain storm or something.

Monk's are lacking a lot. Once you hit NM you realize the damage on the Lightning Aura falls behind almost every other tower in the game, the Boost Aura just isn't as good as Frostbite Tower ends up being, Serenity Aura is only used for Purge Evil and without that ability would likely see almost no use and Sky Guard Towers costing 50 defense points each isn't worth it when a Huntress can take the place of them and instead you can place 3 more towers or 5 more traps.
Monk ranged attacks are fine early on but drop off really quick due to not getting the attack speed or projectiles per attack stats that the Huntress and Apprentice get and his melee attacks leave him so open that he risks being one hit, not having any sort of shield to compare with the Squire. 
He's suppose to Support, not be dragged along the ground like a sandbag until he gets his Purge Evil. Which by the way, the RNG gods are not with me and I have had 17 legendary spears/pole arms drop and none have been it.
His Ultimate Sphere's are not too good either. Lightning Strikes sure can do some damage but still not as much as traps and the other (I forget the name) I actually use. It comes in useful at really awkward moments.
Like when the female orc thinks Blockades don't exist and walks over them and starts on your towers.

Next bit is idea discussion. 
He would do well to have a Lightning Aura Ultimate Sphere that turned it into a Blizzard/Snowstorm Aura that possibly does less than half the damage but slows enemies, his Boost Aura having a better damage % boost or just revamp the whole banner thing, I almost never see it used as is. Serenity is fine, but how about one that slowly repairs/heals towers in range instead of healing Heros. Maybe even a sort of "Enemies that die within the Serenity Aura repair other buildings within the Aura range by 3% of the tower health. DOES NOT STACK". If you're wondering how that even works, well just imagine that by the end of the game all the towers have been repaired with monster body parts. Lastly, Sky Guard Towers, they're actually really cool, I like them. Just lower the defense point cost from 50 to 40 and maybe people won't get anxious when instead of a Sky Guard they could have placed 2 more traps and done the flying enemies themselves. 
Honestly, I don't know what he really needs. But he needs something so that he stops feeling like a dead weight and more like a Support.

Defensively, I've done quite well with LSA and serenity to cover magic lanes.

I agree that the boost aura just isn't enough boost for its cost right now. When I first started DD2 I thought it was going to be like the DD1 boost beams, but it isn't. Taking the spheres to make it increase blockade health could be useful, but thats expensive and still not a clear win over just having more traps and towers instead.

During combat phase, the heal ability just feels incredibly lackluster compared to the other classes. It doesn't feel worth the time. Its supposed to give a dps buff, but with the short duration and notable cast time, I'm not sure if its actually a gain over just spamming attacks.

Pole smash is a victim of the grounded effect, which I've mentioned as a problem before. Turns a useful some damage+cc ability into just.. some damage. Its not enough in that situation.

I believe skyguard towers, geyser traps, and DPS monks could all have a better place in the game if it were removed. Focus on skyguards for damage, and all the knockup effects you can do.

About your sphere ideas: I like the idea of monks having a worthwhile slow. I feel the tower healing aura may cause enough balance issues to do more harm than good. Still an interesting idea, and it might even work. 

That's true, it does do alright. But currently having less damage than Traps and more cost.. Well at least it's possible. 
I agree to pretty much all you've said there. Especially about grounded enemies pretty much making all Monk abilities useless.

They really need it. Might as well sacrifice the Lightning Aura for it. 
Yeah, I understand that very well. The trouble is coming up with a way of implementing it without it just being too overpowered for the game. Maybe 0.3% would be enough. I mean you have about 60-70 enemies in each lane per wave so that's umm 18-21%. Unless it's the Onslaught horde waves which ends up being 500 in a lane.