Sign in to follow this  
dakblake

Trading in the near future?

i don't understand how people can be crying about people skipping content and paying to win with TRADING when currently in the game ANYONE can just jump into anyone else's nightmare 4 game and skip everything and get endgame gear

until you guys start actively campaigning to get that loophole shut i can't take any of these trading complaints seriously

Drop me some Real life cash and i'll run your characters through NM4 betsy.  you want pay to win? it already exists

I didn't read a single post except the one saying pros raining end game stuff to newbies. It cuold be solved by giving us up to level 100, and make ipwr more relevant to the level. Or just up to lvl 50, but rebalance ipwr and exp to level requirements, as well as make end game to give exp.

@Sirloin quote:

@PixelGames quote:

They said it will happen, and I hope they take a step back and realize its a bad idea, I don't support trading.

I have to disagree with this. If it's done properly a healthy economy is a good addition to any game where the focus is farming up gear/collecting rare loot.

Properly done, in my opinion, is in such a way where assets aren't TOO liquid. If you run into a situation where the same item is being listed and relisted and undercutting becomes a constant occurrence you have assets that are too liquid. A prime example of this would be any "auction house" system you find in every contemporary MMORPG. Or Diablo 3 at launch day. That is a horrible model.

Now take the other extreme which is no trading at all. It's the system that Diablo 3 adopted and I hate it. If nothing else it destroys the community. I find an item that my brother needs on his character? Well, tough luck no trades allowed. That's not fun. That has no place in a multiplayer game.

There is a median there somewhere. And the first step is putting in trade windows. The player base will find a way to trade among themselves without much oversight by trendy. And from that point I would recommend your step back and assess approach. Take player feedback and suggestions and move forward.

I agree with you.  I currently play with 1 friend, sometimes 2 and it would be great to trade them some gear on stats they might need instead of me just selling it off.

@Ngamok quote:

I agree with you.  I currently play with 1 friend, sometimes 2 and it would be great to trade them some gear on stats they might need instead of me just selling it off.

we all need to first agree that skipping content is bad.  we don't want anyone progressing without effort.  the whole point of a game is that you're actually playing it

with that in mind, dropping your friend a piece of gear when you've progressed much further than him is not a good idea.  the game already has ONE system in place to prevent that, which is character levels.  but the game progression continues far beyond where character levels end

trendy has already talked about installing paragon levels.  these are additional XP driven levels added on after you reach the character level cap.  allowing end-game items to be gated by paragon levels will stop people from handing gear down to people that have not earned it

the PROBLEM is we don't want a game where gear dropped is 99.9999999% useless at endgame.  we want items that drop and have VALUE

this is where having an auction house system really helps the game out.  at end-game you're trying desperately to get gear that's rolled with 1% better stats than what you already are wearing.  the chances of getting these items are like winning the lottery sometimes.  these items would be very valuable and desirable in a system where they could be traded

an auctionhouse system allows players in endgame to continue to play the game and progress.  instead of waiting for that .0000001% chance to drop and being extremely frustrated at the game for making you play map after map after map with zero progress the auctionhouse gives you the ability to INCREMENTALLY move forward.  by acquiring gold you can purchase the lottery dropped item from someone else.  by getting lottery drops yourself you can sell them and push your characters forward with the money gained

in the current system without an auctionhouse there is absolutely zero reason to play your fully end-game geared character.  everything that drops will be worse than what you have and immediately be thrown away.  this is not a suitable goal for a character.  you don't want your heroes to work towards being obsolete, with every step gained making the game less and less fun as you find fewer and fewer items that can actually help you

with an auction house system, every great item drop is potentially money you can put towards that piece of gear you can actually use to move further.  even at the highest point in the game, you can still play your fully geared character and get drops worth selling to either stockpile as gold for future use (the character level ranges in RPGs always gets raised) or using that gold to gear up your other characters that aren't at maximum gear.  do you have a builder that you never get to use because you need a huntress out? can't get the gear because he's not played? well here's your chance to simply grind gold and purchase that gear

TLDR: an auction system with proper controls in place to prevent item saturation and progression skipping is an extremely good idea for creating a sustainable end-game that isn't actually the end of the game

I don't see the problem. Nobody is forcing you to trade unless you want to. You can keep on grinding for the gear and get it on your own if you so wish.

Worried about hacked items. Just kick the person that hacks out of the game or play in a private server with people you trust. People will always cheat or abuse if they can.

I cant say I care much for trading myself but I do think it sucks that you can't trade the item with a friend that is in the same game as you as the item drops.