Heavy Cannon Tower Terrible?

So the first Uber sphere I picked up was the Flamethrower tower sphere, and even though everyone said it was terrible, I found it to be an amazing addition to my tower lineup.  Being so enthused about the flamethrower, I decided to pick up the Heavy Cannon Tower as my second Uber sphere.  (Like the flamethrower, everyone said it was terrible and I was determined to figure out its use.)  However, unlike the flamethrower, it would seem the Heavy Cannon Tower is actually terrible when compared to a mine build for end-game physical damage.  Am I missing something?  How can I build this thing so it's DU is as useful as the flamethrower in similar quantities?

I think it will be something that will just sit in your sphere inventory untill they either buff it quite alot or remove it completely. To bad one can't refund the sphere even if just for half the tokens.

@ImAFckingDragn quote:

the Heavy Cannon Tower is actually terrible when compared to a mine build for end-game physical damage. 

Yea people say its terrible, yet I don't know exactly why, would you mind explaining me? :D

The Heavy cannonballs gain damage as they travel further.
However, even at max range they do less damage than the original cannonballs by a substantial margin!

The heavy cannonball tower at max range does roughtly 25-30% the DPS of a normal cannnonball tower and wille it has the range and a slight aoe the aoe is not to count on  and it does not target air,  I tested building the Heavy Cannonball towers on a squire focused mostly on those towers and compare it with the Cannonball tower of my Barricade squire, the cannonball tower had higher DPS and wille its single target the heavy cannonball tower might as well be considerd single target due to how small the aoe is.

The advantage a heavy cannonball tower has over a normal cannonball tower is that it can shater enemys at a higher range but not at a range even close to worth the DU used to build them.

thats not quiet true, the heavy cannonball at max range does about almost EQUAL the dmg of a regular cannonball per hit, although with a way slower attack speed resulting in about estimated 50% of the regular cannonballs dps.

therefore it gets the huge range and as mentioned very marginal aoe dmg, its still terrible tho.

imho they should just change it to be as it was in dd1, change the balls physics A LOT and make them able to bounce a few times from enemies and walls, so they are able to hit multiple times per shot each. This would make them actually useful in certain lanes and also fun to experiment with.

@Escapism quote:

thats not quiet true, the heavy cannonball at max range does about almost EQUAL the dmg of a regular cannonball per hit, although with a way slower attack speed resulting in about estimated 50% of the regular cannonballs dps.

therefore it gets the huge range and as mentioned very marginal aoe dmg, its still terrible tho.

imho they should just change it to be as it was in dd1, change the balls physics A LOT and make them able to bounce a few times from enemies and walls, so they are able to hit multiple times per shot each. This would make them actually useful in certain lanes and also fun to experiment with.

agreed But believe they said physics may be implement later,   - one of the dev streams

Bouncing cannons are/were awsome

well if we could have them fire at the rate they used to fire at it would be more useful....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77hqxkCVy20