Sign in to follow this  
Pandarama

[WTG] Dragons worth remembering :)

So as very few of you know, I just recently was informed of DD2 being Free to Play. One of the main reasons I didn't initially hop onto DD2 after playing this game for so long was the price for an unfinished product. Well, that price is now gone and I am happily enjoying my newbie traverse through Trendy's Alpha of DD2. While doing so, I've been starting to remember my past crusades in DD1 and all the friends I made along the way. In doing so, I also remember that as my final act of trading before leaving this game for other ventures, I acquired a certain rare pair of traceable Armguards of Fire. 

The point I'm trying to get to here is that I would like to giveaway these precious Guards to whoever can give me their fondest memory of DD1. Whether that be discovering you could float to the top of Throne Room as EV, or finally landing that amazing RNG Ult++ Glad you were always wanting. There are no limitations to this, and I'll pick the person with the most awesometastical serotonin-inducing memory of the game a week from now to receive the Guards.

So commence the remembrance and let us all revel in the times we had :)

Trace:  https://www.dungeondefenders.com/1/topic/108669/wttwta-armguards-of-fire?page=3

Screenshot: vnq1kmo.jpg

Example:

When I came back to this game after over a year, it was with a couple of friends from my TF2 Trading community. We were there just in time to sign up for the Incredible Pet Race event. It was my first ever event and I was excited. I ironically ended up getting run by bamboobear and clocked in a time that put me in 9th place for overall time out of everyone who ran the event. The amount of happiness I got when they gave me the items was awesome. I never thought they were going to give me so many items, especially from events I had missed in the past (Norths, Vile's Clutch, Jason Mask, Speed Freak Feather were just a few I can remember). It was just an awesome time for me and so I continued to participate in the events every time they happened up until the final Trendy sponsored event.

Back around the middle of February, I had been in the "hardcore endgame farming" state of play for about a month, and had reached ~6k stats on most of my characters. I'd also beaten most (GTH and ToL can die in a fire) maps in the game solo, and was kinda sad at the lack of endgame challenge. I was talking about it in DDRnG group chat when harry mentioned Temple of Polybius, an event that I had (sadly) missed out on apparently posing some sort of challenge for even the highest of stats. Later that night, me, harry, rcdm(?), mkjo, chomik, and a few others did a run of that map which is now one of my favorite memories in DD. Not only was it a challenge, but running recklessly through a huge map that you have never seen before, cathartically killing everything in sight. Then we got to the boss fights. If you could call it a "fight", that is. Massive DPS challenges that actually took more than 10 seconds to die, claiming your life dozens of times? It was a ton of fun and I wish I could run the map more often, but alas my new curse of 600 ping prevents that from happening any time soon. (Running that map solo doesn't work)

Good luck to everyone, and many thanks for the giveaway!

Very nice panda.  I have many fond memories of events and playing with different players.  That feeling of waiting for the event to start.  The would announce the map and we would be off practicing until we got a good handle on it.  :)  

Star Race was terrible or so I thought at first.  Once I started practicing with hellfire we noticed there were specific routes that were leaps and bounds faster and finding each little trick to make it faster turned out to be a lot of fun.  It was a pleasant surprise.

Now I can't wait to get events started again so that people in the community can experience that once more or for the first time for many.  It is gonna be fun.

Probably one of the most fun giveaways I did in this game was Dredd's Dungeon Warrior contest. A DD spinoff of Ninja Warrior where you had to jump from tower to tower without touching the ground. I paint the scene on Hall of Court, with many bouncer blockades scattered around the map, infinite survival build phase, and all the jumping you could want: I joined the game amped up and ready to go. This was the first round of the contest, I was pretty confident in my jumping skills. It was just a loop around the map, pretty simple, nothing fancy, and he said if I made it in one life I got to roll over that chance for the next round. (The pressure was on!) With my heart pounding I took the first jump, and made it. Then the second, and the third, and eventually I came to the end without having missed a single beat. I easily lept to the crystal to finish round 1 with a perfect record. I was ecstatic. Fast forward a couple days later to Round 2, taking place in the heated Glitterhelm Caverns. Every other competitor had passed the first round as well, so the pressure was on to make or break it. I was the first one to try the course. It was an out and back procedure with the middle crystal as the checkpoint. With heart racing I made the first couple jumps, from bouncer to bouncer. The difficulty was upped, the stakes were higher, I was the pioneer, this was it. I made it to the first checkpoint. Then it was time to cross the bridge, the jumps looked scary from where I was standing, i sucked in a deep breath and jumped! I made it out to the spawn door and then came back to the last jump on the bridge. This one looked tricky. I readied myself and made the leap, bounced off the edge of the bouncer and landed with my butt on the ground. My heart fell, I had missed the jump. Up until this point I had been perfect, spectacular even. I brushed myself off and walked slowly back to the checkpoint, made the jumps back to where I was before and hesitated. One more life to go, one more chance to beat round 2. I prayed to the gods of Dungeon Defenders, to the ultimate seahorse, to the ult++ armor blacksmith, and tensed my legs for this jump. I flew through the air and went and went and went and....... I got one foot on the bouncer, reached up the other foot, and slipped, and fell off the bouncer. My heart wailed, I had fallen and my last life was gone. I had made it pretty far but no doubt others would make it farther. Dredd congratulated me on my try and said he would let me know how the others would do. Days later as I anxiously awaited the results I finally got a message from Dredd. Not only had no  one else completed Round 2, but I had made it the farthest! From feeling like I had screwed up to being crowned champion was such a surprise, and in a contest that was based on raw jumping skill. Yes, certainly one of the coolest experiences.

After I restarted playing this game again like half a year ago I found the forums for the first time. At this point I already had 1.2k h in this game and since then I also farmed my way up to the top. Most exciting part of it was probably my ++ armor drops. it needed me more than 2k hours of DD to get such a piece from lab assault and I kind of freaked out as I saw it in my inventory after only 20 runs. The upcomming day I ran 30 more and got another piece which I freaked out about again. No week later I found anotehr piece which was a big surprise to me because I thought "I just got 2 ++´s I cannot complain about not getting anymore the next month, but maybe if I got a ++ today I will get another one tomorrow like the one week ago". And it actually happened... I couldn´t... I was so lost laughting myself to death. Best part about is that some people in group chat were absolutely not upset about it and we could laugh together. squire_small.png Since then I sadly didnt found more, but I am waiting for the next two :P

Thanks you for the Giveaway Panda and enjoy playing DD2 

P.S. Fun part about it is that the first forums post I ever saw after restarting DD and fiding the forums was you buying exactly this pair of armguards.

I guess mine would be finally finding 2 friends that played the game and being able to help them out by leveling them in Glitterhelm Caverns before I found out about these groups and such and I felt good actually having someone to play with. Another one, would have to be finding DDFRBR however kinda inactive now, after finding that group it changed how I played Dungeon Defenders entirely. Before I found the group I was carrying my friends in Glitterhelm on Insane HC with my squire and some other heroes. Then everything changed, everyone was helpful helped me out checked out a bunch of guides. Acen helped me a good amount with a bunch of other people like RCDM, Harry, and Sein. I didn't know crap about the game back than, not even Events which I played when they were live but didn't notice lol. I didn't know about gear set bonuses or anything. It was really fun and hoping to have a bunch more memories, I remember when I finally was able to get my 2 Glaciers. Some people I talk to still Facepalm when I sold my Magicite :D 

Although you said 1 memory technically, there is so much memories with DD that you can't forgot and can't share.  Mine were short but I wont forget them.

Oh this brings me back. My fondest memory of DD was when i was farming eggs for the bunny costume and started learning about dd's economy. i farmed city in the sky for 3 days getting my friends the eggs for the costume but was never able to get the costume myself. They quit shortly after that however i wasn't sad because i learned the power of the DD community! At the time i was noob and easily was impressed by nice things so i taught myself how to work the market. By doing so i met many amazing people more then i can count! The trading community in DD was so fun, nice, and enjoyable i doubt I'll find another, and even tho i got my friends the eggs i still got something out of it a community that is really amazing so. My fondest memory is getting my friends the Easter eggs, then finding the DD community with all it's great people.

The one memory that always pops into mind first is the time I teamed up with some of the people from the (then alive) DDIC chat to fill my tavern with duped event items in open. This to take screenshots for a passive aggresive post trying to sell them, to sarcastically protest the banns people got for warning/advising people not to buy certain items since they were hacked or duped. That chat was like a family and I'll never forget those times.

Also R.I.P. Sam's forum account since he took one for the team to start the main thread that day and I think got banned for that haha.

To give some backstory, I was a nub ( still am tho ) new to DD and just having recently found DDFRBR. I really wanted to become a map-runner and help people and the group. I remember that for some reason I stayed up till very late at night, where in DDFRBR a map-running contest started. They got a bunch of WW requests and acen and wat were the only online mods at the time, so I asked to help acen on a WW run. After decently running it I was talking to wat, and for some odd reason he started asking me if I wanted to become a map runner.
I was so happy! I started running around and dancing pretty much waking most ppl in my house. wat walked me through how to build some of the harder maps and ran me through how the site worked. I have plenty more but that one stands out to me ^^
Ty for the giveaway, good luck to everyone!

@Pandarama quote:
Whether that be discovering you could float to the top of Throne Room as EV

Oh man, this brings back memories.  One of the best times I had came about because of map glitches, not from flying - but from the portal gun! (Remember that weapon?)

Back when I first got DD (it was one of the first games I ever got on Steam) way back exactly 3 years ago to the day (geez, where did the time go?), because I got the game through Steam, I received a portal gun, along with the TF2 pets.  While it was exciting to have pets at such a low level, the portal gun really struck my eye.  I had watched DD's portal gun teaser video, and was really looking forward to playing around with it.

I created a huntress called ThinkingWit (the character limit wouldn't let me name her ThinkingWithPortals) solely to play with the portal gun, putting all my stats into hero health.  After I had finally gotten her to level 30, I equipped the portal gun, loaded up Magus Quarters (I think), and prepared to start thinking (with portals).

After a few waves, though, I got pretty disappointed.  The portal gun had limited 'ammo', which drained whenever both portals were active, meaning that you couldn't have portals active all the time, and if the ammo ran out, both portals would disappear, plus you would have to wait for it to reload.  As well, the lanes were wider than the portals, so some enemies would be able to walk around the portal (not good when I only have the portal gun equipped).  In the end, I ended up mostly forgetting about the portal gun.

Fast forward quite a bit of time, and I was now farming Tavern Defense INHCMM for kobolds.  I was building with another guy, and somehow the conversation shifted to him mentioning that you could use the portal gun to glitch outside the map.  He then showed me how to get into the northwestern enemy spawn building.  This really intrigued me, and we spent a good while trying to figure out all the other places you could get to with a portal gun.  Soon though, he had to leave, although before he left, he mentioned that it was possible to get on top of the tavern with 2 portal guns (which is actually really high, and has tons of windows above the second floor - what's in there?).

I was now determined to get as high as I could on Tavern Defense.  I called over another friend, told him to get his portal gun, and that we were going to scale the tavern.  After a few minutes of experimentation, we had found a method to 'climb'.  The key was placing one portal on the ground, and another in the air.  The other person could then jump through the bottom portal and place their own portal in midair, so that their portal was even higher.

After many miss-clicks and many deaths by falling, we had reached the top of the tavern (which is actually not completely solid :( ).  However, we were no longer content with just scaling the tavern.  We decided to shoot for the stars (literally), and see how high we could get before we got bored.  While we would occasionally still fall off/die, we would laugh it off, and keep on going.  Eventually though, we reached a point where the portals wouldn't be placed any higher up, and we assumed that we had reached the map height limit.  Content with our progress, we called it at that.  Overall, we had spent over an hour playing with the portals, and had a great time!

My fondest memory of dd... oh god... I have so many great memories... The first times I met pan, ygk, TCD. Having a monopoly on lab runs. But I think I'll roll with the first time that my account got completely reset and I lost everything. This was about 2 years ago, I had just started to get into end-game content with full trans sets (50% of the pieces non-capping :P) and I felt on top of the world. I came back one day to do some farming and every dd players greatest fear became reality for this sad defender. After countless times of contacting trendy support to try to recover my lost heroes, there was no success, I thought my dd journey was over. Defeated, I started searching for a new game to play... But the dd community wasn't having it, I instantly had tons of people starting to help me back to my feet. TrayGIT did all my leveling up to about 78-83, LemmingAward gave me some starting myth and trans, 2 trusted people of the community that wanted to remain anonymous back then (so I'm assuming the same is true now) gave me every piece of currency that I lost. Among many other people in the community helping me Acen, ygk, TCD, Mkjo, Rcdm, Pan. I soon became better off than I was before my rather unfortunate wipe, in a mere matter of weeks. And these acts showed me that I was in probably one of the best communities that I have ever been in, and I still think that this community is the best of any game out there. I love you guys. <3

I am not good in talking publicly and I won't start now, just wanted to say that I enjoy your stories guys!

I remember one time when i came back to DD after so many time out and met DDFRbr group,i was cleaning my inv from some random labs and giving Sniffy some armors for giveaways,then he told me,¿are you sure you want to give me this piece? and I didnt have any idea what i had on my hands at that moment,but ended being an amazing hybrid u++ piece that i sold for tons of shinnies :D

Some of the best times I have had in DD so far are the days of speed running with Frededish, or Squidedish on the forums. This was around when Ygk had his speedrun contests going along and Fred and I would always push ourselves with the assault maps. He was certainly faster than me but it was so much fun to push each other. When we found out that having almost no electric resist was like a massive bonus it completely changed how we played the maps and made for some crazy records.

After the contest we started to speedrun Tavern Defense. For some reason it was just a good map to speedrun. To this day I still believe he has the fastest solo run and I'm pretty confident that nobody has beat our 2 man time. IIRC our 2 man time was 8:18 and his solo time was 10:15, these are the total times (combat+build) He has since stopped playing DD but I had some of the most fun in that time.

The Summit. It was the first map my friend and I completed on Insane. It took 45 minutes. Yup. I was a DPS squire (LOL) and had built (LOL) blockades in front of all the stairs surrounding the main platform. At the north side, I had placed a Slice N Dice -- back then, I loved that thing more than anything! Sprinkle in a few carefully placed auras from my friend and the build was set. Now normally, we were both pretty vocal on mumble (voice system). We'd laugh. We'd make jokes. We'd mess around. But this was different. It was probably our 5th or 6th attempt and we vowed to make it our last. In previous runs, we'd have one person upgrading and killing, while the other focused on the dragon. This time, we were going to ignore the dragon until everything had been upgraded. We spent the next 40 minutes taking turns upgrading, killing and occasionally rebuilding whatever was destroyed. The only words spoken in combat were, "I need upgrades over here". After many fire ball hits to the face and a few blockades destroyed, we had everything upgraded. We focused our DPS on the dragon and were able to take it out pretty easily all things considered. I remember sitting there after it had ended, in silence and complete exhaustion. After a bit, my friend finally spoke up. Okay, then. 

That's probably the most memorable moment for me. But I'll also never forget the broke days. I'd get so excited at finding items that were valued in the millions. I remember being hesitant to upgrade one of my pets because it would cost me 20 million per upgrade. Or how I thought I'd never be able to find a weapon that would be worth 2 billion. I remember a player giving me 6 billion because I was broke. I thanked him over and over again and he said, Relax it's only 6 billion. To me, it was a lot more than that. That difference is the reason I give a lot of things away to new players now that I've reached the end game. 

Best of luck to everyone! And thank you, Panda, for doing this giveaway :)

I remember forcing a couple friends to buy a PS3 specifically for this game. Bought a 4 pack and played until we realized we had missed finals. Within the first week of owning the game, I had racked up almost 100 hours of play time. We were obsessed with Royal Garden and the moving core challenge. I don't even remember the reward, but we played that map nonstop for days. We started off using all 4 players but by the end we were all on squire because we quickly found out the other characters were pretty useless. I remember gearing our characters and thinking it was great to have 200-300 stats. I miss the PS3 quite a bit. Sadly the fun of the game died completely for me after online was shut down, but I'm glad I made the switch to PC. 

Alrighty peeps, I know I said a week but I got caught up in work and couldn't get on till this morning. I won't be able to trade the winner their stuff till Monday, but the winner is Sox207 with his story about finding the community through farming Easter eggs for his friends :) Thanks all for the wonderful stories and I hope that it just makes ya'll remember how awesome we were and how awesome we can be.