Sign in to follow this  
Grrbrr404

Boost Aura way to weak?

Hi, just did some math today. To let it simple just imagine i have

tower squire with 2000 DP

tower monk with 2000 DP

If i boost squire with monk, this gives a DP bonus of roughly 270 DP, resulting into ~ 2270 DP. This means every cannon turret or Ballistas Dmg is increased by ~ 1000 DPS.

So ... Why should i not just build two more towers instead of having a boost aura. While having a Base dps from like 7000 it makes no sense to have a Boost Aura

@Gnuy Niy quote:

Part of the reason that the boost is not completely useless is the hp bonus provide to barrier through one of the sphere.

i have no idea why they decided to limit it to just providing it to barricade and not EVERY tower :P

that was a sure way to pigeonhole the builds you can use in the game

Boost aura gives 10% of monks' DP as boost, about 12% when you get those 20% on relic

As for boosting towers only: about 8 to 10 towers you´d have to boost to have those 40 mana act as a "full tower", since it buffs for 10x10%=100%=1tower

sadly, you almost never  have that many towers on one lane/close enough to each other.

as for wall: well...+25% wall-hp, you could just build a 2nd wall behind the first one^^ cheaper - more effective.

(would have to rethink the trap/tower-placement in that case)

so, either way: the aura is useless. not worth it at all

They really do need to make the boost aura scale by monk's DP rather than it being a flat out % boost. At the moment the only use it really has  is early game if you dont have a huntress for her traps. Hopefully well see a buff to it in the Ascension Part 2 patch on the 27th along with buffs to some other towers.

@Arcflare quote:

They really do need to make the boost aura scale by monk's DP rather than it being a flat out % boost. At the moment the only use it really has  is early game if you dont have a huntress for her traps. Hopefully well see a buff to it in the Ascension Part 2 patch on the 27th along with buffs to some other towers.

thats what I ment, it scales with monks' DP, but only to 10%. meaning 4000 dp -> 400dp as boost

I agree that the actual damage boost from the aura may be a tad weak but the boost aura is still very useful. I say it's useful because it can increase the toughness of a wall by 40-50% then it can also boost nearby towers / traps allowing it to easily become worth while. (25% health from sphere then 10 - 20% dmg reduction from aura itself)

@Viggaaa quote:

@Arcflare quote:

thats what I ment, it scales with monks' DP, but only to 10%. meaning 4000 dp -> 400dp as boost

Oh thats interesting. From what ive read monks DP doesnt affect boost auras at all and its just a flat % boost to tower DPS. Either way the usefulness of the Boost aura is virtually none existent atm and definitely needs to be reworked. 

Do take note that trinket equipment (Medallions / Rings / Totems) have a passive that increases the monk's boost aura's boost by up to 25%, which might make it more worthwhile.

TrendyENT repeatedly mentions they've got a lot of plans for towers, this is just one of the cases that currently suffers a bit from the scenario.

I think the biggest factor that reduced the viability of this aura is that a little while ago, towers used to be much smaller, and have proportionally smaller footprint, allowing you to squeeze more towers per boost aura, essentially increasing its effectiveness / placement ratio , compared to what we have at the moment.

No, the biggest factor that reduced it's viability is that it now is horrible.

10% buff is pathetic and a waste of 40 points per that the team could've used.

If you have 6 towers buffed, all at 10% increase.. Well, how about I repeat the example somebody else did, in my words.

6 towers, each doing 3k dps.  Drop a boost aura, and now they are doing 3.3k dps each. Overall thats an increase to your cluster by 1.8k dps.

Know what I'd do instead, and for potentially cheaper? Add another tower. ANY tower. Even a freeze tower would increase dps more than the boost aura.

-boost aura boosts damage

-boost hp with sphere

-damage reduction

I don't always use boost but when I do I make sure it does all that it can. which usually amounts to boosting about 6 traps (sometimes more), 1 Evil purge aura, adds 25% hp to my barricade, and brings in the damage reduction vs that same barricade. It basically pays for itself not too much more , not too much less.

I feel, other than boosting barricade HP via large sphere for very few needed situations, right now the boost aura is completely useless. It barely makes a difference and needs a lot of improvement. 

The tower isn't that useless. Actually, it is used in NM3 and NM4 for 25% health boost to barricades and damage reduction for towers. The problem is that the tower doesn't serve its purpose which is to boost tower's damage. It barely boosts it.

Just to clarify things, the boost aura doesn't give a flat % of damage boost to towers. It scales with your DP. the formula is 10% of your DP is added to the tower's DP stat base. Ex : Squire with 3000 DP and a monk with 3000 DP -> A cannonball in the monk's boost aura will have a damage calculated like if the Squire's DP would have been 3000 + 0.10 x 3000 = 3300.  

Nice to see that I am not alone in feeling that way about the boost aura.

Still sad to see, that it doesn't improve in effectiveness, I was hoping on that. Well, better to find out now, that not even leveling up will make that thing effective in anyway for the monk.

Damage taken reduction is an incredibly useful stat and this is the only source for it.  If you only care about damage output, then yeah, don't use it.

I think all this posts on this thread makes clear that they need to change the boost aura in some way. I dont want it to be mandetory like the buff beam was in dd1 but still it feels very weak actually. 

I have to say that i now have more ideas about what I can do with the boost aura and will try to boost walls instead - Excited how it goes :) 

Some ppl here where talking about spheres and a specific stat for the monk. Can you please point me in that direction? I dont know how the sphere / stat is called

Thanks! :)

Wait!  Boost aura exist?!?    I had completely forgotten about that thing.

Lemme try it....                           

Nope still crap after what, nearly 3 or 4 months??

40 mana to give less HP than making another wall, or less DP than making another defense instead which most of em cost less than 40 mana and I never packed up 10 defenses close enough so 1 boost affect that many.

Doing nm3 and starting nm4 without it, yep its garbage.

I miss my 140% boost pre-wipe, but that was really to OP back then.

@Some random guy quote:

Wait!  Boost aura exist?!?    I had completely forgotten about that thing.

remember in DD1 when you could place one that covered half the map and gave everything like 70% damage reduction?

they were NECESSARY back then.  now they've dialed them back to where they're pointless :D

Not only is the Boost aura way too weak, the range of all auras (when maxed out) is incredibly low. I'd expect if i build an aura monk with high/end-game gear that the auras cover a LOT of area so some DU are free for additional DPS towers which is very useful on end-game difficulties. Also i expect that more and more maps get released that will become harder and harder and require highly specialized chars, like huge-aura-monks and harpoon-DPS-squires or even Anti-Air-Monks. On a sidenote:  I haven't found any situation yet where the huntress traps/mage towers are very useful compared to the typical harpoon/aura combination....

Orbs are nice but should really be more like small extras than highly important for the build.