Malthius and the Rings of Unnecessary Game Padding

While playing an incursion in the Ramparts with friends, we discovered that no matter what happened, we couldn't kill the enemies near our barracks, only to see that the "INSTANT full health rings of futility" weren't properly textured on the stairs, so while it seemed to us that we properly placed our defenses, it turns out that an improper layering of it caused our instant defeat. i honestly wouldn't have minded this if the rings were visible on said stairs, but they were not. also, while i may be on the subject, instant fully health rings with quick procs? are you kidding me? that's an extreme case of artificial difficulty and while i do think the rings are a good excuse for potential flexible defenses, i do believe they need to be nerfed a tad to something a bit more comprimising? a quick regen for example instead of instant 100% health. it gives a chance to still defeat said tactics without seeming like it's a lost cause. still, if this seems to be annoying i apologize but this strongly seems like a needed improvement if people wish to play this game. A good game isn't one with padding and artificial difficulty, but punishing yet fair. a fighting chance if you will.

+1 on this one.

100% regen is just too much. Don't know if it's actually 100%, but even with my overpowered builders (600 iPW playing NM1 Rampart Inc where IPWR is near 300 if my memory is good) and can't kill enemies in the rings, unless it's a one hit kill.

I actually just did this challenge for the first time on hard, I only have one 50 character and he still has level 38 gear for the most part.

I thought it was an enjoyable challenge.  Maybe it's because my gear made it so it was just barely easy enough to accomplish with proper placement of towers, or maybe it just seemed a novel thing after playing basically the exact same game mode the entire time.  I discovered what the purple rings meant in the first wave when trying to dps down some mobs in the one that starts in front of malthius, and once I realized it restores them to full every second, I said "Well, guess I shouldn't build here." 

Then the second build phase began and a purple ring was right on my barricades, meaning if I didn't kill the enemies in one hit, I knew I wouldn't be able to kill them at all.  So I moved my defenses.  Their second spot wasn't as effective as the first, but it was necessary to get them out of the way of the healing circle. 

I can certainly understand the frustration, and I might hate it too later on down the line, but my first experience with it was positive.

the rings not displaying is a legit issue.

not being able to deal with it isn't though. you can work around it... personally iv'e never had a problem on that map with a tower build... ive not even noticed the effect of the healing circles to be honest, i always assumed they were bad at their job.

@tenabrae quote:

the rings not displaying is a legit issue.

not being able to deal with it isn't though. you can work around it... personally iv'e never had a problem on that map with a tower build... ive not even noticed the effect of the healing circles to be honest, i always assumed they were bad at their job.

If you can burst down the enemies then you won't notice them. But the moment you can't kill an enemy instantly and they get healed back to full, it's GG mate.

Wow, i'm actually very thankful for all of the replies so far i've seen from this. Even in hindsight i do believe that the ring mechanic itself isn't bad, but HOW it is performed is the real problem. This is especially seen after going through multiple waves and upgrading your towers to ensure your survival on nightmare incursions. now if it was nightmare IV, i'm pretty sure that would be more understandable, it's the hardest difficulty in the game afterall, but with no way of preventing them from getting in or moving them out of that ring if they decide to sit in there and attack at a distance or just stand on the edge destroying all of your buildings while you can't do ANYTHING to defend it just shows a flaw in an otherwise great game. I see there are definitely those who love the challenge and flexibility in designing around a problem, but in hindsight not every person plays the same or has the same degree of flexibility so they wouldn't be happy with facing such a problem head-on. We're in a period where we can change and adjust such things for the better, be it more punishing yet fair or more outlandish problems with more unique solutions. And i strongly believe that while the mechanic is right, it needs to be fine tuned or it'll just seem like game padding which,even if you defend it, you do have to admit in a general sense it alone adds a large spike in the game balance. And let's be honest here, who loves Artificial Difficulty?