In game communication etiquette PS4

Hello defenders.

Firstly, its good to be back in the tavern!, secondly i have searched for my subject and could not find a similar thread, so apologies if i am repeating a thread here.

My issue is with lack of communication on the battle field, most players have a preferred way of setting up their towers, and when a new player/a player they are not familiar with starts laying towers, boosts or traps, the group leader/tower builder start pinging the map like crazy, leading to votes to kick etc. 

As far as i am aware, all new ps4's come with a basic in ear bud with microphone, and realistically speaking, if you enjoy the game and like myself plan on doing a good deal of endgame content, it makes no sense to play without having a headset to hand. Im not saying have your headset on permanently, but at least those times when a player is doing something in your build you dont like, you can communicate with them in a rational manner, rather than spamming the ping flags over and over!. 

I dont think it is too much to ask that players in a co-operative online game, take the time to make sure they can communicate efficiently with each other during the combat and build phase.

Thanks guys and lasses

FSL

i agree to an extent, not everyone is comfortable chatting with strangers. However, I did come across a monk that spent all the build points on his electric aura's... like excessively... -__- 

i agree, but i feel  your beating a dead horse. This has always been an issue, but for some reason its gotten worse on ps4. I suggest meeting others in a public tavern, join a party then start private maps.  

There is no push-to-talk button so if you enable voice chat, everyone can hear everything going on in your house.  This is a MAJOR DETERRENT for me and it's why I turned mine off.

I rarely use headsets in any game for the exact reason Pashta addressed. Nothing more annoying/frustrating than listening to people breathing heavily, having kids or other housemates screaming, blasting music, etc. Happens way to often. I do wish this game had keyboard support so we could just type to each other. I actually had an apprentice today who used all the defense points on freeze towers and arcane barriers. 

You guys are just gonna have to fork out more for a headset. I bought the Playstation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 and it's exceptional. It has a mute button guys a mute button and it's the best headset I've ever bought. It can connect to your laptop or PC wirelessly as well so you can listen to music or whatever. Doesn't work with my TV though.

When it comes to end game stuff one person builds everything anyway so all you gotta do is pass gems and afk. Don't need a mic for that.

@Rpglover14 quote:

You guys are just gonna have to fork out more for a headset. I bought the Playstation Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0 and it's exceptional. It has a mute button

That's not really a solution. PC version has text chat support, why shouldn't PS4? Most people have a keyboard they can use, not everyone has a fancier headset that comes with mute functionality, and to expect people to is unrealistic. Wireless keyboard cost: $5-10 vs. cost of a headset $60+. Mute functionality only helps you not make excessive noise for your teammates, won't do anything to help you not listen to ambient noise on their end. So it doesn't help those that don't want to listen to other people's music, etc.

Id have to agree with rpglover here. As a console player, i cant see stopping my gameplay just to type a message. In my personal opinion if you cant/wont play with a mic, then you cant expect to be treated more than just a random NPC.  

Text chat can work for dd on console. Of course using in the middle of a wave might not be the best thing to do. You could use it during the build phase and you could even use it during a  wave i suppose, if you've got abit of breathing room.

It will help with matchmaking too by shouting for players in the tavern

Look at dcuo and ffarr on console, they both have chat and it works fine. They're games that need more communication than dd too. 

Dont want a chat box cluttering your screen? A minimize option can help with that. 

Its a safe assumption youve never played moraggo or aquanos on insane plus, because the build phase or after typing a sentence is way too late to announce that a djinn or sharken is unbuilding your choke point.   

If that isnt enough, this game has built one of the best gaming communities ive seen. Partly because the forum but i play and chat with my fellow defenders. Bonds that couldnt be made by text chat. 

Im not saying you have to have a mic. Im saying you are limiting the experience you could have with a mic,.It is worth every penny.

@gamerjunkeeee quote:

Its a safe assumption youve never played moraggo or aquanos on insane plus, because the build phase or after typing a sentence is way too late to announce that a djinn or sharken is unbuilding your choke point.   

If that isnt enough, this game has built one of the best gaming communities ive seen. Partly because the forum but i play and chat with my fellow defenders. Bonds that couldnt be made by text chat. 

Im not saying you have to have a mic. Im saying you are limiting the experience you could have with a mic,.It is worth every penny.

But voice chat would still be there if text chat is added if you don't wanna use it,then don't. 

I agree with mash. This game needs more ways to communicate. Not less. Not everyone wants to talk to dumb randoms...or smart ones for that matter. Let us choose how we wish to talk to people. I have text and voice on my phone and I hate the phone part. I text everyone. And if I send a text and they call me I ignore them half the time because I don't want to talk to them. These are people I know and like that I don't want to talk to...so you can imagine some random nob building a dart tower in the middle of my build isn't exactly someone I'm anxious to have a phone call with. Let us communicate in our own means at our own comfort...that's how you get more communication between people. Giving them more options on how...not less.