Sign in to follow this  
taratey

Too many leechers + private game BUG

When in quickmatch, I don't mind people joining my game, I am actually glad that they are joining. But ever since open alpha, these people joining don't even know how to properly defend / repair. When I ask them, they will reply they just hit 50 and join quickmatch NM4 Incursion. Ok, I let them leech but, most of the time, they aren't doing something good. If anything, they die and die and die trying to get the items on the floor while still in combat phase.

My solution was to make my game private. This is working good so far except, sometimes (1 in 10 runs), some random people are still able to join me (the BUG). When I ask how, some said they joined quickmatch, some said they are making a private game.

I think the proper solution to avoid people leeching and jumping from hard to nm4 incursion (or any difficulty) is to activate the recommended ipwr and match it to current ipwr of the items (right now nm4 incursions only drop 665-700 but recommended is 900).

EDIT - think this one is a better solution:

@Underlander quote: longform

tl;dr: iPower restrictions don't work. Create a challenge that is a requirement for joining NM1, NM2, NM3 and NM4 that tests both your skills and gear.

The fact that brand new level 50's can just hop into NM4 incursion all willy-nilly is something that must be stopped. I'm okay with friends joining friends, but matching up players with an ipwr disparity of 600 creates a very negative experience for both parties.

Match Maker needs a over haul in general who wants to join a game 80 percent finished already or even better is joining some idiot who used all the defense points on freaking traps/auras.

@gigazelle quote:

The fact that brand new level 50's can just hop into NM4 incursion all willy-nilly is something that must be stopped. I'm okay with friends joining friends, but matching up players with an ipwr disparity of 600 creates a very negative experience for both parties.

Half of the time they don't even bother repairing defenses which is a must in NM4 Inc. It's really sad. 

@Speedingbus quote:

Match Maker needs a over haul in general who wants to join a game 80 percent finished already or even better is joining some idiot who used all the defense points on freaking traps/auras.

Many do as most of the exp comes from the last 2 waves.

This is the very reason I stopped playing last night. I started a NM3 match (can't do 4 yet) and the same guys kept joining over and over again after randomly leaving after a wave or two. Game after game this happened. I thought at first 'great! someone to help with repairing walls etc.' But I was quickly letdown when they did not even know how to repair or that you could even do such a thing. One of them was not even level 50 yet... Monk level 43. and he said he was there for the exp. I tried to tell him that he would be much better off getting exp in Hard mode rather than endgame NM3. Then he said he was after items for the next classes he makes. I told him that the items that drop are going to be level 50 and for Monk because that is what he is currently playing. 

I would go on but. You get the idea. 

For a long time I'm complaining about the matchmaking and how important it is to have it fixed before DD2 goes on EA-sale on steam. Now it is not only EA but also already f2p and matchmaking is still a problem.

I totally enjoyed public games in DD1 because more than 50% of the people tried to contribute while I kicked the 'I don't care about repairing and only want to loot'-people.

I really like DD2 but at the moment I'm looking forward to the 27th and hope that patch includes the so long needed fix. Then I'll continue playing. ^^

@Fozzie quote:

Bring back IPWR restrictions now we have pretty much tested the difficulties.

Agreed, at least for quick match. For private they can keep it the way it is right now so you can still solo higher difficulties as you please, or play with lower geared friends in your PRIVATE game.

I've turned the game off more than a few times now due to what I can only describe as overall stupidity.

Even had people standing ontop of walls and not repairing them. iPWR restrictions would be real nice.

It's just that till lvl 50 they never had any challenge xD. They didn't needed to repair ever so they didn't do it.

Yeah it's kinda annoying when someone joins, you try to teach them and they totaly ignore and do nothing. Had players joining in too who never repaired even after i said it, who just stand around afk doing nothing. Or going close to an Oger on the wall which is close to the defense... more then one time even after i told them not to because thats when Oger jump. Never used the Kick button so often like in the last week, and that's not really what it should be. Special if one of the troll player just join in over and over and over again. Like starting a match with g imediatly even without the defense builded. Seriously, after someoen got kicket from a match, at last let him not be able to join the same one for a time. A other one sure, but not the same.

Well, this is indeed annoying. I've been experiencing some inconvenients as well. We had iPower restrictions and they were not good. What was happening: people were using highest iPower items they could get to join and leech higher content. People were getting ANY piece of gear that had a higher iPower, wouldn't matter the stats, wouldn't matter if it was a legendary or sturdy. So you had people with high iPower and terrible gear joining the matches.

I recently had very dumb people joining my games in different game modes. Whenever someone joined my games, I asked politely: upgrade traps close to geisers and AA, don't upgrade frost towers, nor blockades, nor geisers. And then I saw a bunch of unupgraded traps and starred frost towers and walls. It is annoying, but it is like real life: you will meet more dumb people than smart people. Tons of leechers, that's true. People who can't follow simple instruction and morons who can't repair a blockade in a NM3-4 game. People who don't talk in chat.

I don't think iPower restriction is the solution. It has an easy implementation for sure, but we had this before, and we had the same problems. I have a suggestion, though, that I don't think is easy to implement, but would be better than iPower.

There is a MMO called The Secret World. They have a very good solution for that, but I don't know how much this contributed to make the game have such a low population, since people seem to like games with iWin buttons. I'll try to explain.

TSW has the story mode, with quests and so, and its endgame is based on dungeons and raids (yeah, like pretty much every western MMO). The dungeons have 3 modes: the normal mode, that match the gear you have when playing the game, the elite mode, that matches the gear you have when you beat the main story line and nightmare mode, a.k.a. endgame, that is where you go after you have elite gear. To be able to play NM, you have to: 1) beat every elite dungeon (10 of them) and 2) beat the "gatekeeper". There are 3 different versions of the gatekeeper: for healers, for tanks and for DPS. To fight the gatekeeper, you MUST finish all 10 dungeons in elite mode. To play NM, you MUST beat the gatekeeper (solo). The gatekeeper tests both your gear and skills.

Well, TSW is a completely different game, so how do I see this implemented in DD2?

1) To be able to play NM, you must beat all Insane maps. All of them. That will assure people will know the maps and have Insane gear.

2) To move from Insane to NM1, from NM1 to NM2 and so on, you must beat a challenge. What sort of challenge? Well, this is a good question. Maybe a preset map (like when you start the game) where you need to put some extra defenses from the class you chose. If you don't upgrade the right things, you fail. If you don't repair walls, you fail. It is not an easy task for devs to create and balance this, but seems like the best solution for me. This should be a solo challenge.

3) Although this is not the best way to promote social play, it will force people to learn game basics, develop skills, populate insane maps and know what to do in NM (or at least suck less).

4) This should apply only for quick matches. Private play is... well, private. So you should be able to carry leechers if you feel like doing it. 

I also feel that having more social features (guilds, ingame friend list, ignore feature, etc.) would help. If you play with people you like, make a guild (with a guild chat) and you can forget quick matches to play with you guildmates in private. Ignore would help to not having leechers in your quick match games (if the guy is so stupid he can't repair a wall, ignore him and never see him back in your game ever again). 

---

tl;dr: iPower restrictions don't work. Create a challenge that is a requirement for joining NM1, NM2, NM3 and NM4 that tests both your skills and gear.

@Underlander quote:

you meaning like a tutorial before starting end-game? that's actually a good idea. Also, one good addition is a directory / collection of mob information. I can't stress this enough but one of the reasons why the walls hp go down so fast is because of witherbeast giving buffs to other mobs. some peeps just ignore them when they should be the one being killed first. If people know this, it would be lots easier.

@Underlander quote:

iPower restrictions don't work. Create a challenge that is a requirement for joining NM1, NM2, NM3 and NM4 that tests both your skills and gear.

This is such an amazing idea. Just with World of Warcraft, basically. You have to do some small challenge checks in order to be able to queue for higher difficulty dungeons.  10/10

yes but in this game it woudl be hard to make in practice

also being able to pass the "test" wouldnt mean to be able to play effectively at nm4

i rather just pick theplayer i prefer or ban from room

@Underlander quote:

1) To be able to play NM, you must beat all Insane maps. All of them. That will assure people will know the maps and have Insane gear.

2) To move from Insane to NM1, from NM1 to NM2 and so on, you must beat a challenge. What sort of challenge? Well, this is a good question. Maybe a preset map (like when you start the game) where you need to put some extra defenses from the class you chose. If you don't upgrade the right things, you fail. If you don't repair walls, you fail. It is not an easy task for devs to create and balance this, but seems like the best solution for me. This should be a solo challenge.

---

I like this a lot and would be happy to work within it. However, I do not mind the grind.

Meanwhile have host generated games that can have minimum IPWR join conditions and a game browser that shows them.

@Cyrius quote:

@Underlander quote:

iPower restrictions don't work. Create a challenge that is a requirement for joining NM1, NM2, NM3 and NM4 that tests both your skills and gear.

This is such an amazing idea. Just with World of Warcraft, basically. You have to do some small challenge checks in order to be able to queue for higher difficulty dungeons.  10/10

I think one of the biggest double edge swords is hero dps. So many new people just want to dps and not do work so they don't learn the nuances of the game. They just want to level fast and get loot. Ironically the reason I play solo also the reason the hero deck is counter productive since I have to build everything anyways because everyone else seems to be "I'm deeps, you build kk tnx"

when i brought up gating nm content before open alpha i was met with a loud no from the community but now people actually see the pain i deal with every public game i make with all the fresh 50's they agree... 

anyway yes it should be heavily looked at for the sake of people playing properly to enjoy themselves instead of being forced to kick everyone 

@Chappyy quote:

I think one of the biggest double edge swords is hero dps. So many new people just want to dps and not do work so they don't learn the nuances of the game. They just want to level fast and get loot. Ironically the reason I play solo also the reason the hero deck is counter productive since I have to build everything anyways because everyone else seems to be "I'm deeps, you build kk tnx"

Maybe implementing roles might be a good idea then. When you queue quick match you can select whether you want to be put as builder/hero dps/support(traps&auras). This will do people a huge favor who don't have the time on their hands to level up every hero and gearing them for every role I suppose.

@Cyrius quote:

@Chappyy quote:

Maybe implementing roles might be a good idea then. When you queue quick match you can select whether you want to be put as builder/hero dps/support(traps&auras). This will do people a huge favor who don't have the time on their hands to level up every hero and gearing them for every role I suppose.

This would be nice if even it was a soft selected role and matchmaking did an ok job to even it out.