Sign in to follow this  
balmung8

Is endgame broken?

This will be a multi-part thread, starting with, Why is the endgame stuff so worthless? Im spec-ing a defense based knight, so I'm all about defense power and health. All the gear I am getting in endgame insane difficulty is garbage compared to what I have from freeplay hard mode. My alts and my friends are also not getting any EXP from anything end-game either. My Ipwr is like, 242, and the Ipwr 160 missions are the only thing I can do, and I cant get any gear that's better then what I currently have from those. If end game is just meant for getting gear, why can't I get anything good, and why do I not gain any EXP despite fighting lvl 75+ enemies?

I'd imagine the exp is so little in end game to discourage leeching when actual input is needed.

As for the gear - Do higher ilvl maps.

XP is pretty bad in endgame.  Best to just do Freeplay hard for XP.  I suspect this is to prevent power leveling since if you are doing endgame you either don't actually need XP for anything or you can't use the level 50 gear that drops.

As for the gear, it sounds like you should be doing NM1 and not Insane.  You are choosing to do missions with iPWR below the iPWR of your items so the items that drop are not as good as what you have.

Considering Freeplay Hard caps at iPWR 110 and nothing above level 38 required items though I'm not exactly sure where you got your iPWR 242 items but you didn't get them from Freeplay Hard.  iPWR 241 is intro NM1 gear, which as I said is where you should be with that gear.

End-Game Easy-Insane is pretty much useless. The real good loot drops in NM1-NM4. Also the end-game mode gives very very little xp to keep people whom have unlocked it from being able to power level their other characters (if xp scaled to NM4 you could probably go from 1-50 in a matter of a few missions). It's mostly just for the end-game loot all the way up to ipwr 700 in NM4 Incursion. 

Also it does take awhile to farm matching sets, that's just the current state of loot drops right now which is why they increased the drop rates. 

@balmung8 quote:

So playing end-game at all is worthless then?

When did anyone say that?   If you're at end game,  you should be playing nightmare.   The easy through insane playlists are worthless. 

@gotrunks712 quote:

When did anyone say that?   If you're at end game,  you should be playing nightmare.   The easy through insane playlists are worthless. 

Just now, when I said that. There is no reason to play the game once you get a 50. If you cant play end game with your friends that arent yet 50, and none of the gear i get is a boost and the higher ipwr levels are too hard, whats the point in even playing end game. Its better to just play a new hero and run the highest freeplay things to level yourself to 50.

@[FF'A] Anomaly quote:

No, it's the only way to become super powerful. For XP it's worthless though, but the gear makes it worth it. 

Whats the point of being super powerful if there is nothing to do? Running the same missions on just a harder difficulty? Leveling a hero is one thing, but beyond that the only things worth doing are dailies and the monthly, which can both be done before end-game. I know its still alpha so this can't really be something I can complain about right now, but if there were more maps that you had to unlock by  reaching a certain Ipwr level, that would make it worth it, but getting gear just for gears sake isn't really something I care about. Good thing I have 5 more heroes to level.

What i did was do the first 2 waves of the highest difficulty i could do, which is probs nm1-2 for you, you get some drops, probs a decent weapon and some armour, use those items to clear later waves, rinse and repeat till you have good gear and can clear the map. Using that technique im up to Ip 500, so ye..

@balmung8 quote:

@[FF'A] Anomaly quote:

No, it's the only way to become super powerful. For XP it's worthless though, but the gear makes it worth it. 

Whats the point of being super powerful if there is nothing to do? Running the same missions on just a harder difficulty? Leveling a hero is one thing, but beyond that the only things worth doing are dailies and the monthly, which can both be done before end-game. I know its still alpha so this can't really be something I can complain about right now, but if there were more maps that you had to unlock by  reaching a certain Ipwr level, that would make it worth it, but getting gear just for gears sake isn't really something I care about. Good thing I have 5 more heroes to level.

There is nothing to do "yet". Like with DD1 though through it's development, things will eventually get more and more challenging as development continues. The point of having the highest level gear for your heroes is to become more powerful overall so you do not have to rely on other players and somewhat for bragging rights. Like so: So far I have 4 level 50s all in 700+ ipwr gear and I can pretty much nearly solo Nightmare 4 Incursion Gates at this point. 

But then again to each his own. I prefer to be powerful as it makes me feel accomplished which is why I play RPG games a lot. I love the feeling of putting in the time and effort and being rewarded and becoming more powerful. However if you are just content in meh freeplay > hard or end-game > insane gear than that's your prerogative, you have the option to make that choice. Nobody is forcing you to do NM1-4 but it is there as an option and it is viable to most end-game players so you really shouldn't just call it broken when it does serve its purpose. 

Also the end-game incursion missions DO have unique things about them that does sort of change things up a bit over campaign or other end-game things, looking at you Ramparts. 

@[FF'A] Anomaly quote:

There is nothing to do "yet". Like with DD1 though through it's development, things will eventually get more and more challenging as development continues. The point of having the highest level gear for your heroes is to become more powerful overall so you do not have to rely on other players and somewhat for bragging rights. Like so: So far I have 4 level 50s all in 700+ ipwr gear and I can pretty much nearly solo Nightmare 4 Incursion Gates at this point. 

But then again to each his own. I prefer to be powerful as it makes me feel accomplished which is why I play RPG games a lot. I love the feeling of putting in the time and effort and being rewarded and becoming more powerful. However if you are just content in meh freeplay > hard or end-game > insane gear than that's your prerogative, you have the option to make that choice. Nobody is forcing you to do NM1-4 but it is there as an option and it is viable to most end-game players so you really shouldn't just call it broken when it does serve its purpose. 

Also the end-game incursion missions DO have unique things about them that does sort of change things up a bit over campaign or other end-game things, looking at you Ramparts. 

I can do everything before end game solo. I have no legitimate reason to even care about end game, its just a harder free play that gives no rewards other than gear.

If you don't enjoy it you don't have to go for it.

To be fair, endgame has a lot of things to offer far from free play, the primary example would be the diverse twists in incursion levels on the new difficulties, and the unique item build passives that can only be obtained in the NM3-NM4 difficulties.

An example of the mentioned incursions, in NM1 difficulty there's an incursion where monsters are chrome colored and cannot be knocked up or back.

An example of mentioned unique item builds, is a squire sword that has the 'Splody Harpoon' passive - making harpoons create an AoE explosion on contact damaging enemies based on your defense health.

As far as iPWR goes, I'm standing at 700 iPWR on NM4, and had a lot of fun playing with my friends and panicking about the kobold waves that wreck our 290k HP spike blockades.

@Yoraiz0r quote:

An example of mentioned unique item builds, is a squire sword that has the 'Splody Harpoon' passive - making harpoons create an AoE explosion on contact damaging enemies based on your defense health.

Purge Evil (Monk) and Chilling Touch (Apprentice) are also really nice to have from NM3/NM4 although I think they drop from NM1/NM2 as well currently. 

@Yoraiz0r quote:

If you don't enjoy it you don't have to go for it.

To be fair, endgame has a lot of things to offer far from free play, the primary example would be the diverse twists in incursion levels on the new difficulties, and the unique item build passives that can only be obtained in the NM3-NM4 difficulties.

An example of the mentioned incursions, in NM1 difficulty there's an incursion where monsters are chrome colored and cannot be knocked up or back.

As far as iPWR goes, I'm standing at 700 iPWR on NM4, and had a lot of fun playing with my friends and panicking about the kobold waves that wreck our 290k HP spike blockades.

Well that makes something worth going for then, unique passives that are like mini ubers. I might actually start doing that when I have the monthly done. I'll have nothing else to do at least.

@balmung8 quote:

I can do everything before end game solo. I have no legitimate reason to even care about end game, its just a harder free play that gives no rewards other than gear.

I'm not sure if this line of reasoning is valid. If it were, it could be applied to practically any other game. Take Diablo 3 or Path of Exile for example. Once you play through the campaign, endgame is simply playing through the same maps, perhaps re-skinned, with random monsters in them.

The value of endgame is the opportunity to change up the gameplay a bit. Nightmare mode unlocks several build-defining weapons such as the Purge Evil staff or the Splody Harpoon sword. Some of these are much more viable than others but they are still unique to endgame.