Sign in to follow this  
ddace

CDT Update 1 Discussion

One thought that just striked my brain, if you could make enemies on the Pirate Invasion wear pirate hats like it is on Halloween challenges, that'd be beasty!

@SerpaCooper quote:

And the beta will last how long? For I am really looking forward it so! ^^

And if I wondered why on Bay Buccaneers has no enemies in the cave at the top left of the map?

And do not forget to answer my last message please. : ')

Up please. :'(

Here are my humble thoughts on the update, first the new content part. I really enjoyed the new maps, especially the challenge one because it offered something different than what we already have . However not really knowing the number of phases felt a bit confusing to me. The fact that it only gives 2 accessories seems a bit off considering how some other challenges rewards much more for shorter time (and are also easier). the jester tower didn't convince me, it seems less effective to use in the current meta of the game, but i really like the idea behind a jester builder. Finally, I didn't like the new tavern skin, just because of the lighting used in it, it seems a bit too "cold" and white for me, I like my warm tavern lit by the fire, feels more comfy.

On the improvement part, i remember asking for the skippable cutscenes on the old "make DD1 better" thread, so I'm really really happy you made it, it's awesome!! I also like the improvements on DPS visibility, mana token and shop increase feels really good, same for the trap repair logic.

Now for the bug fixes part; the fixes on lag (item unlock) is really great, i also like the fact that you made a "report issue" button, now I've said what I thought about the genie change in the genie discussion, and I admit I'm glad you're not fixing it until you find another solution, because even if it's part of the game upgrading takes away a little bit of the fun IMO.

Thank you to the CDT team for the amazing job you provide, it feels great to see this game coming back to life and getting some much needed love, can't wait to see the next update!! (Sorry for my English.)

@lapumette quote:

Here are my humble thoughts on the update, first the new content part. I really enjoyed the new maps, especially the challenge one because it offered something different than what we already have . However not really knowing the number of phases felt a bit confusing to me. The fact that it only gives 2 accessories seems a bit off considering how some other challenges rewards much more for shorter time (and are also easier). the jester tower didn't convince me, it seems less effective to use in the current meta of the game, but i really like the idea behind a jester builder. Finally, I didn't like the new tavern skin, just because of the lighting used in it, it seems a bit too "cold" and white for me, I like my warm tavern lit by the fire, feels more comfy.

The challenge will give another if you can get far enough.  :)  The other reward though is mana.  It is designed to be mostly a pure mana farming map.  Like you said, something a bit different from the norm. 

Tavern theme was designed in honor of moonbase releasing.  So it would have more of a cold feel.  However I am sure in the following update, we will have a different theme or at least back to your warm tavern.  :)

@ddace quote:

The challenge will give another if you can get far enough.  :)  The other reward though is mana.  It is designed to be mostly a pure mana farming map.  Like you said, something a bit different from the norm. 

Tavern theme was designed in honor of moonbase releasing.  So it would have more of a cold feel.  However I am sure in the following update, we will have a different theme or at least back to your warm tavern.  :)

Ahh I'm intrigued now, I will have to try harder then. Ok I didn't see the mana farming part but I get it now and I admit it is well done, we need a mana farming map really bad. Thank you for your work, much appreciated.

@ddace quote:

Does this mean we can choose a theme for our tavern? That would be sweet but I don't think that thats possible.

This is great stuff, guys.  If you ever get around to the proximity trap damage fix in the "to do" notes, I'm pretty sure I'll poo myself with joy.

@Veetoo quote:

@ddace quote:

Does this mean we can choose a theme for our tavern? That would be sweet but I don't think that thats possible.

Not possible, no. At least, not realistically.

@curtisgk quote:
Are we going to see more custom tavern themes? Really hoping for a nice seasonal tavern.

Always a possibility.  We are currently trying to plan the second update and figure out what tavern theme to use depending on where the update will land.

@Martiman89 quote:

Do we have an ETA yet?

We are going to try and get another beta build with some tweaks to jester towers and the genie change reverted.  After the changes have been tested and if they are approved of by the community, we will look at finalizing it to be moved to the live branch.  

@ddace quote:

@curtisgk quote:
Are we going to see more custom tavern themes? Really hoping for a nice seasonal tavern.

Always a possibility.  We are currently trying to plan the second update and figure out what tavern theme to use depending on where the update will land.

Winter theme........for the next 6 months :D

Just wanted to say tyvm for taking this huge job on and doing a fantastic job. New level is nicely done but like how others have said there is a lot of open useless space not sure why there is so much. I didnt get to far in the survival cuz i was short on time but wanted to get something up here so at least u know its being played and enjoyed. I was worried that you guys would get discouraged by the lack of feedback/playerbase willing to do this beta test since the game has had no new content other then moonbase in a very long time. im sure that most of the people that played the game over the course of the past few years still dont even know that new content is being produced for the game. I think that in some time when word of mouth gets around or people just happen to click on dd1 in the library tab of steam and see new updates (its how i found out) this will get some of the players playing again. Again keep up the good work its much appreciated. 

"Does this mean we can choose a theme for our tavern? That would be sweet but I don't think that thats possible."

It is very possible. There's only a matter of overcoming a few technical issues that would need to be addressed to accomplish this, I.E Lighting Propagation / Host-Client viewing / Saving the changes players make. Those being the major three.  It's not impossible. It's just a matter of working out those issues. Lighting is the biggest problem for tavern themes because DD doesn't utilize dynamic lighting all that much, which can be more expensive FPS wise.

EDITED: So people don't take offense to some words that were not intended to offend in the slightest.

I think we're thinking of different things here.  Due to the design of the lobby system, it would not be simple to let you pick from multiple taverns. What Nexus is getting at I think is dynamically changing the tavern decoractions, which is certainly possible, however as he mentions the objects would not have proper lighting and so it would look uglier than with the method that's been employed up to now (temporarily replacing the the tavern level in a patch). Dynamic lighting is the only way to fix this and it's an expensive (performance wise) feature to use, as anyone who has ever used fireball towers with a high rate of fire can attest- the FPS hit you take with them is because of the large number of dynamic lights generated by the projectiles in flight.

Also, you'd have to ask yourself whether or not you'd like to have the themes seasonally / with events, because changable decorations would conflict with having this sort of thing. And you'd also have to consider whether taking the time to implement such a thing is worth not having time to implement gameplay improvements / new maps / etc.

I bought an expensive PC for selectable tavern themes !

Couldn't you make it apply only when we go back to tavern/create a game/reboot the game ? Wouldn't that help overcoming some issues ?

On November 6, 2015, we made the following changes to the update:

Jester

Jack-in-the-Box

• You asked for it, you got it: Now has 20% chance to "crit", dealing slightly more damage and applying knockback to all enemies (including Ogres!), as well as affecting heavier enemies such as Orcs more strongly.
  • An errant muzzle flash left behind by the JITB's "projectile" has been told what to go do with itself.
  • Overall attack speed slowed through a combination of adjusting Tower Rate stat scaling and animation scaling. The animation should be visible for a much wider range of attack rate stats. We felt that this was important since there is no other visual indicator of the tower attacking.
  • Damage increased significantly to compensate for the slower attack rate. Now those punches really... pack a punch.
  • Range is no longer affected by buff beams or Monk Guardians. No more super sonic punches that extend several times the reach of the punching animation!
  • Base range slightly increased, range scaling slightly reduced; the Jack-in-the-Box should be able to bloody the noses of ogres attacking at their max range sooner. After all, they're Ogres, not Trolls.

Party Popper

• The Party Popper has given up dancing, and will no longer "Do the Twist" while attacking.
  • Projectile ratios adjusted favor splashing/piercing projectiles slightly more for extra party fun:
  • -Magic Missile and Archer Arrow ratio decreased very slightly (Deadly Striker Bolt unchanged)
  • -Fire, Poison, Thunder, and Purity Djinn shot ratio increased very slightly
  • -Ogre Snot Ball and Fireball increased very slightly
  • The pierce limit for Djinn shots has been increased by 50% (4 to 6). Magnum Bullets!
    *Overall effect should be more area-of-effect damage, to address player feedback.

Maps

• Fixed an invisble wall on Buccaneer Bay. You'll have to practice your miming skills elsewhere, sorry
  • Fixed an edge case in Pirate Invasion where finishing a phase with only a few seconds left would cause the game to glitch out.
  • Gave aerial enemies a strategy lesson. They should now spawn in a much less erratic pattern.

Bugs / issues Fixed

• Say ARRRRrrrr: the Pirate Patch has been buffed up to Turkey Mask levels.
  • Shiver me Timbers: The Pirate Skeleton on a Treadmill is sporting a new icon and a colorization issue on the skeleton has been addressed.
  • The original Christmas map boss will now listen to you yelling at him to hurry up (or at least pressing the skip button) and thus his intro cutscene can now be skipped.
  • Shock beams now use standard healing logic, which is a really fancy way of saying pets and abilities can now repair them.
  • The Shock Beam was also told to stop using its cheat code, and no longer heals itself to full after every attack.

Bugs Added

• Genies will once again grant you three wishes, as we have reverted him to his previous state. This may be revisited in the future when/if the bug can be fixed without causing undue burden to our hardcore fans.

Known Issue

• Mac / Linux builds of Moonbase and later patches are still in progress. We hope that this will be able to be addressed at some point, but we can't guarantee when or if it will happen.
  • Pirate Patch is getting clamped to Insane. Whoops.
  • The beta branch is defaulting to using GameSpy (which no longer exists) as the online provider. If you play the game in this state, you will be prompted to log in to gamespy (which isn't possible). To correct this, please click Configure in the game launcher and change the online provider to Steam.

Haha, I had a good laughter as I red "Bugs added". I dont know a single other game which adds fixed bugs back in the game because the games endgame players want it. <3 ty

the bug itself could cause issues later down the line. We may fix it later, but if we do we will improve the mana generation so you can still upgrade quickly.