Sign in to follow this  
Cymmina

How are you not embarrassed by your forum software?

I cannot fathom why you chose to replace your (relatively) blazing fast PHP forum software with this pile of well, crap. It's not unusual for me to see a flash of your mustache templates before they finally get rendered with content. I don't know what you're doing with the textarea for writing up posts, but it is completely incompatible with my browser (which is only 2 years old, no I am not interested in upgrading). I have to disable stylesheets just so I fill it in (and apparently when I do this, no formatting of any kind is applied to my post). I cringe every time I have to come here for information because it is so SLOOOWWWWW! I don't know how you managed to mess up "put stuff into the database" and "pull stuff out of the database" so badly, but you did. Users come here for the content of the website, not to look at all of your fancypants branding while they wait an extra ~5 seconds to load what they actually came here for. This is terrible UX and whoever wrote this should be ashamed of themselves.

http://partners.duxter.com/

Please do pass this along there as well as here! They even have a phone number published. :)

(I hear you, I really do)

@Cymmina quote:

it is completely incompatible with my browser (which is only 2 years old, no I am not interested in upgrading).

So just to clarify here; you are using a non-standard or non-webkit browser (IE11+, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc) which developers do not test on, which you admit is 2+ years old and is most likely not up to date with the current W3C standards which have had very significant changes since 2013, you are refusing to upgrade your browser, yet, you want to blame Trendy Entertainment or the developers of the framework it's built upon?

In his defense, it's not entirely unfair, as even with modern, compatible browsers, there are a number of issues Duxter needs to address. Though you do have a point and I can't fathom why somebody would not update their browser that is so out of date (If you're on Firefox at least, there are add-ons available to restore the look and feel of older versions, so if that's your issue) that it likely has glaring security issues.

@[FF'A] Anomaly quote:

@Cymmina quote:

it is completely incompatible with my browser (which is only 2 years old, no I am not interested in upgrading).

So just to clarify here; you are using a non-standard or non-webkit browser (IE11+, Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc) which developers do not test on, which you admit is 2+ years old and is most likely not up to date with the current W3C standards which have had very significant changes since 2013, you are refusing to upgrade your browser, yet, you want to blame Trendy Entertainment or the developers of the framework it's built upon?

Client side template rendering is a terrible idea and will never be faster than doing the rendering using a server side language, ever.  The very idea that I need JavaScript enabled at all to view a plain HTML document or submit a form is moronic.  Perhaps you'd like to point to the part in the W3C specification where they took away HTML or ordinary forms and replaced it with "use JavaScript for everything"?  Because I really would like to see that.

As a web professional, I am not impressed by the attitude where "if you aren't using the most recent version of Browsers X, Y or Z, you don't count".  If you're working with the web, it is YOUR JOB to make sure the experience isn't completely broken and unusable, regardless of what browser is being used.  If you don't feel like doing that job, you shouldn't be doing it.

As a web professional,

I'm not sure why a web professional would advocate staying on a 2 year old version of a browser.

Yes, developers should build their site to work properly on mulitple versions of a browser, but I don't feel they're obligated to continue to support extremely dated versions with major security vulnerabilities.

Also, Trendy contracted Duxter to create this site, so they are the ones that need your unbridled rage. ;) I'm just a mod here, so of course I have no control over any of that, but you get the idea. I agree it's bad to offload the rendering to the client. But I don't agree that deliberately using an old browser version and having JS disabled everywhere is a good idea (But I do use NoScript in firefox so it only works on sites I trust)

@Cymmina quote:

As a web professional, I am not impressed by the attitude where "if you aren't using the most recent version of Browsers X, Y or Z, you don't count".  If you're working with the web, it is YOUR JOB to make sure the experience isn't completely broken and unusable, regardless of what browser is being used.  If you don't feel like doing that job, you shouldn't be doing it.

If you were an actual professional webdev with an actual degree like myself you would know that trying to force something to work across every browser ever made is a losing battle and that is the very first thing you are taught when you first start working toward your degree. Also, JS is constantly being used more and more with the popularity of jQuery,  AngularJS, NodeJS, etc. and is not going anywhere. Why you have JS disabled and expect everything to be pure HTML in 2015 is beyond me. Perhaps this is a better website for you: http://www.warnerbros.com/archive/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

@[FF'A] Anomaly quote:

Do not understand much of this but loved it as a comment (and as a Trendy fanboy (but not the new forum)) I particularly enjoyed it

I dont really see the point in using an outdated browser.

Even though his reasoning for the complaints is bad, he is still right: The Forum software sucks big time.

@NCO quote:

I dont really see the point in using an outdated browser.

Even though his reasoning for the complaints is bad, he is still right: The Forum software sucks big time.

Like you guys, Me, the other mods, and the community team are all pushing Duxter to get in changes we've been waiting for. The ball is in their court, so hopefully the ball will get rolling.

You cannot call yourself a web professional and use a 2 year old browser. I am sorry but it is not possible.

It is the year 2015 and Javascript is in. Html5 is replacing the older ways of creating dynamic on page content such as Java and Flash. JS is becoming more popular every day with even server side operations being created using the likes of Node.js.

You need to upgrade your browser, your complaint is not valid until you do that. 

@Cymmina quote:

I cannot fathom why you chose to replace your (relatively) blazing fast PHP forum software with this pile of well, crap. It's not unusual for me to see a flash of your mustache templates before they finally get rendered with content. I don't know what you're doing with the textarea for writing up posts, but it is completely incompatible with my browser (which is only 2 years old, no I am not interested in upgrading). I have to disable stylesheets just so I fill it in (and apparently when I do this, no formatting of any kind is applied to my post). I cringe every time I have to come here for information because it is so SLOOOWWWWW! I don't know how you managed to mess up "put stuff into the database" and "pull stuff out of the database" so badly, but you did. Users come here for the content of the website, not to look at all of your fancypants branding while they wait an extra ~5 seconds to load what they actually came here for. This is terrible UX and whoever wrote this should be ashamed of themselves.

Honestly these forums for me load instantly.

Secondly "I don't know what you're doing with the textarea for writing up posts, but it is completely incompatible with my browser (which is only 2 years old, no I am not interested in upgrading)" This statement makes me think you are lying about being a professional. Every single professional in a technological field, knows that 2 years in this world is such a HUGE difference it isn't even funny. "just 2 years" give me a break, I am by no means an expert, however I am a little tech savvy, and I know full well 2 years in our technological world is no joke. Heck even 1 year is no joke, time to upgrade and get with the times. Or you have no right to complain really. 

I think the bottom line point in this thread is that this website sucks real bad... Doesn't matter what browser you are using its just a trash forum... Makes me not want to come on the forums ever.

@harry4550 quote:

I think the bottom line point in this thread is that this website sucks real bad... Doesn't matter what browser you are using its just a trash forum... Makes me not want to come on the forums ever.

Not a single problem was mentioned by you, who claim that the forum is a pile of utter garbage, though.
Keep it constructive, man. Otherwise, it's just plain toxicity;)

@[FF'A] Anomaly quote:

@Cymmina quote:

LOL Guess they should also make things work on my 1992 computer while they're at it.

Why so much hate? I like this forum, no problems. Load time is almost instant so w/e.

@harry4550 quote:

... Makes me not want to come on the forums ever.

Funny, you have 1732 posts on the forum so it isnt that bad I guess? Kappa

@RustyPaper quote:

Why so much hate? I like this forum, no problems. Load time is almost instant so w/e.

@harry4550 quote:

Kappa?

@Veetoo quote:Kappa?

Twitch term for sarcasm, irony.

@Seph quote:

@Veetoo quote:Kappa?

Twitch term for sarcasm, irony.

Thx, didnt knew that word at all ;)

@RustyPaper quote:

@harry4550 quote:

Should keep in mind that 500 are added posts from when the forums crashed and a lot more were from the original forums be for trendy switched to to these Dexter forums. We used to not have all of these problems 

I love the rage going on makes me laugh site loads as soon as I hit enter so honestly someone needs too replace there potato router or just get off that AOL finally lmao

Honestly I dont see why anyone is having any problems; I have never had any issues from this site except for today when I would visit the forum and it would take me to the main site instead.

@Pneuma quote:

Honestly I dont see why anyone is having any problems; I have never had any issues from this site except for today when I would visit the forum and it would take me to the main site instead.

The last week I havent been able to visit the site via my android phone, it just get stuck on the notifications and i cant make it go away, on my computer al works good tho.

@[FF'A] Anomaly quote:

@Cymmina quote:

If you were an actual professional webdev with an actual degree like myself you would know that trying to force something to work across every browser ever made is a losing battle and that is the very first thing you are taught when you first start working toward your degree. Also, JS is constantly being used more and more with the popularity of jQuery,  AngularJS, NodeJS, etc. and is not going anywhere. Why you have JS disabled and expect everything to be pure HTML in 2015 is beyond me. Perhaps this is a better website for you: http://www.warnerbros.com/archive/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

I totally agree with your point about cross-browser dev, but there's still something that bugs me: you can't expect everyone to have access to JS, and having some kind of graceful degradation is considered basic accessibility. People using screen readers, braille displays and the like just can't access content if it is "hidden" behind JS with absolutely no way to work around it.

Many people with various disabilities play games (and thus might want to access content/forums/websites about games), including people with visual disabilities. It would be plain rude to dismiss accessibility on the grounds that disabled can't play games. They can (and do).

So yeah, even in 2015 with all the shiny bells and whistles JS gives us, accessibility matters. Be it games or websites accessibility. And accessibility 101 is: never use JS in a way that can't be worked around.