What are your first impressions of the game?

To start with I think that is one game that can make to the top of the game community! Its a very good game, it has a fun play style and many different aspects that make me belive that this one is for the players experience and not for the creaters profit. After playing something like 10 hours i can only notice one thing missing, a chest on the social tavern that allows players to keep some items there and access them only there (no access in dungeons) this would allow players to have there backpack ready to loot and still have those precious items for the others classes or playstyles.
Over all it's a damn good game! GG Trendy!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After getting 1 character to 50, a 3 others to mid 20s, there are a couple things that i think should change. 

Let me first say that i really like this game. I've been playing it fault for the past 2 weeks. I would gladly pay money to own this game. 

Now for my feedback. 

1) If iPWR ratings are going to be used for the difficulty of a level, they should be hard requirements for all public games. The fact that i can join a NM4 game with an iPWR of 1 didn't make sense. It ruins the gamw for the people trying to get gear at that level by having to carry someone. I'm fine with people doing that in private games though. You also shouldn't be allowed to switch to a character in your deck that doesn't meet the requirement. Start a private game if you the 40% bonus experience and 35% from characters isn't enough. 

2) I understand the reason for the level requirements on gear, but if I'm able to clear a level with a character, i should be able to use the loot. As long as the iPWR requirements from 1) are used, this isn't a problem. I shouldn't be getting gear that is 15 levels higher than me. If i can, the game isn't hard enough. 

3) Make the game harder. It's so much more rewarding to have to play a round a couple times to figure out the best strategy than to just afk for 15 minutes, coming back just to move so you don't get disconnected. Not everything should be just given to people either. Certain rewards should be associated with better playing. If everything is a faceroll, there will be no long term potential. 

@Tyhan quote:

It feels like a whole lot of 1 step forward 2 steps back.  I don't know what endgame is like yet, but I do know that early game is way too easy.  Playing consistently on the highest difficulty available through the campaign was incredibly easy.  After that my friend and I could take on hard free play in recommended ipower 100 stages with our gear from campaign first try.

The lack of a fifth tower is a big disappointment.  The third hero ability doesn't really make this feel worth it with the large cooldowns.  The lack of range adjustment on auras and traps is also annoying.  My favorite class in DD1 was huntress and I played it hybrid.  You should definitely make it possible to increase the activation range of traps, while using the old mousewheel system to adjust them down if you want to.

The stat investment system is incredibly dumb.  It's just going into everything until you hit the soft cap, and every point after that (or in skills that start at *** benefit) feels like it's not even doing anything.  Upgrading items, especially weapons, feels far less impactful and is a more annoying process.

Losing impactful skills and gaining a *** implementation of criticals is awful.  While I have no problems with the addition of criticals, I miss the defense range and speed stats being on items and having a real impact.  I think the current implementation of criticals makes it a pretty much useless stat.

Melee weapons now have three different combos, this is an improvement.  Someone may remember in the past I went through to find out the differences in the combos between weapons in DD1, but I imagine by the way the rest of the game works those differences are now normalized and not weapon specific at all.  If that is the case I'm a little disappointed but ultimately I think it's probably better since previously some weapon types were just better.

I feel like the lockboxes and pet food / upgrade items shouldn't take up space in the inventory but rather just work like a resource.  Or at least have a special bag just for them and let them stack.

Picking up items in battle is a little annoying.  Previously you'd just look for strictly green thumb items and let the others turn into mana.  Now you have to pick everything up and then sell all the garbage.  Even if the items did automatically get turned into gold like previously, it would still be annoying because the minimap shows item quality rather than green dot for possible upgrade.

I think there aren't enough bosses in the campaign.  I hope you're planning to expand the campaign, but even then the normal levels to boss levels ratio would still feel really bad.  It's nice to get introduced to enemies the way the game does, but I think you could do more levels where you're introduced to 2 or even 3 enemies at a time instead of 1 per level.

I miss the color customization in making your heroes.  I feel like this is something that should be brought back, even as a paid feature.  Just a simple cosmetic thing that's really nice.

I think the variance in ranged weapons feels worse, but overall I think the hero combat aspect is improved.  I like that heroes have some impact at the start, and that none of the heroes have worthless defenses at level 1.

Overall I think it's an okay game, but not as good as the first yet.

My first impression hm a bit sad that the huntress trap radius and the so small is.

I hope we will get tower range & tower rate back to the stats but actually it's awesome.

I got a idea rolls in game

so you abort to start and before you get into a game you should pick what you are

Mage dps/frosty

Hunters dps/trap

Squire tank

Monk support/tower

that could be nice to add into this game 

sorry for bad english

I wish you could remake the campaign and make them into a storyline like how DD1 storyline with nice map as it goes by. In DD1, we know what are we fighting for plus tons of bosses instead of DD2 with mini-boss and special bos even fighting with Wyren isnt a big deal compare to fight with Dragon where you need to use crossbrow to deal a heavy damage to the boss. DD2 map traps are useless compare to DD1 where DD1 map traps are much useful and always be use unlike DD2 map traps are not often even been ignore for some players. I wish the excite feeling of playing DD1 with awesome map could be in DD2 instead of boring and nothing special going on. One of my favourite map is defend your own lobby from the monster. That is awesome! Keep it up and make it more excited with the map plus make it challenging even beginner players could have fun with it. I guess you should start over again with a storyline that explain 'What is Dungeon Defenders 2 and what are we fighting for'. A player who doesnt play DD1 wont understand what is DD2. Keep that it mind :)

As well, make the lobby much interesting like DD1. Personally, I love to play DD1 and it is one awesome game of excitement even the lobby itself. DD2 is quite disappointed to me. DD1 always remind me of excitement, DD2 is more to 'just another game with no reason to play on except get a higher IPW item, that is all.'

The developers impress me with their outgoing attitudes. I enjoy this game but the devs are also a reason why i enjoy and continue to work with this game. They took the less serious approach which caught my attention immediately. Love you guys and your work! However i would love the option to  be able to choose my weapon style Because personally i dont like seeing some big globby goop or something that makes my character look small or weak. Sometimes i feel like looking super casual. Haha great game love it so far.

The first things that I really noticed were:

The lack of automatic detection between the use of keyboard and controller. I feel like a lot of modern games nowadays allows you to switch from using a controller to a keyboard and mouse on the fly and the control scheme would dynamically change along with this. The lack of this caused me loads of confusion when I was learning the controls.

Annoying tower spam in the social tavern. This really grinds my nerves, especially when all you can see is a massive group of tier 5 flameburst towers shooting at all/most of the target dummies.

Lack of hero slots (the total number of heroes  that you can create). This really annoyed me due to the fact that I could only create one hero of each class since I usually like to have dedicated heros (e.g. one for general building, a squire for walls, a DPS hero etc). The fact that these can only be purchased with real money further annoyed me. Hell, I'd be content if I could buy an extra slot for 100 wyvern tokens.

Continuing on from the last point, I was curious what would happen when a new hero came out. Would I have to delete one of my existing ones to make room for a new one? Which lead me to wonder if it was worth making more than 3 different heroes.

I would really like to see an option to Keep/Discard the pet immediately after hatching it. I've been playing just a week and I find dealing with eggs, hatching them, having to go into my inventory and sell them is just annoying and a burden. Being able to immediately discard a pet after hatching it would make the experience infinitely more enjoyable.

@CobaltSword quote:I was curious what would happen when a new hero came out. Would I have to delete one of my existing ones to make room for a new one?

I imagine they would give us a free hero slot to celebrate the release of a new character and to encourage everyone to come back to the game and try it out. That would be the smart thing to do business wise.

First off... I've been holding out on trying DD2 for fear that it may not live up to what I've come to expect from dungeon defenders. Sadly, it hasn't. After 880 hours on DD1, I've come to expect certain things from an action rpg/tower defense game.

So far this seems like a stripped down, gutted out version of dd1.

I realize it's still in alpha... But there is no summoner, no Series EV...

The heroes have 4 tower slots, instead of 5. There are only 2 difficulties.

Easy is too easy, and normal is only a challenge if you attempt it way out of level or ipwr. The tavern is completely too big. Having to run over to the war table instead of being able to G from anywhere in the tavern to start missions is super annoying.

There are only a few slots for gear, I like this change. The gear has been simplified, and works very nicely imo.

Character switching is easier, which makes me very happy. Having a shared mana pool that persists when characters are swapped is so nice. That, and not having to go to the forge to switch, that is also very nice.

The graphics are okay, sound tracks and files are okay.

I won't be playing it anymore, till it is further along in development.

It's just too dissimilar from Dungeon Defenders 1, and mostly in negative ways.

@TangyWasabi quote:

My feedback is to fix the broken premium pet rarity system......8....green.....Table Flippers.......8 (2000 gems, almost $20 US)

This is why they don't let kids gamble.

Hello.  I wanted to express an outside perspective a someone who did not play DD1 and stumbled on this alpha a few days ago

PRO: The game is fun  CON: The game is less fun with more players. 

Issue 1: Player mana is split between all party members.  This creates an imbalance where if not everyone know how to block a lane (or has another character in their deck which can blockade) the whole group fails rapidly.  Given how much experience is back weighed with stage/zone completion, a failed group costs a lot of time in wasted xp.  90% of the guides I have read suggest using private games.

Fix 1: Player mana should not be split between party members.  This game should take a page from action games.  The number of mobs, the stats of mobs, the xp of mobs, the item drop quality should all increase with more players.  Not only does this improve the multiplayer experience, it also helps the social aspects of the game by encouraging players  to work together.  Rather than play in private games, it would be valuable for experience players to teach newer players, which will help newer player retention.  

Issue 2: Joining games hurts the multiplayer experience.  The matchmaker does not always make for good games.  Often, I walk into games only to see that a crazy huntress/monk first timer has spent all of the available mana and tower cap on useless non blockaded traps and that the game is already over.  I also often join a game before the first round but after the chests have been opened so I have no mana to contribute to the first defense.

Fix 2 : When a player joins the game, they should be given set amount of mana so that they can actually contribute to the defense. If Fix 1 goes in, fresh mana is critical to improving towers and strengthening defenses for the harder mobs.

Issue 3: Leaving games hurts the multiplayer experience.  When a person leaves a game, all of the mana they received disappears which can cripple a team.  I Just joined a throne room game with 2 players where one left which meant when I joined with 0 mana, half of the starting mana was gone. 

Fix 2b:  When a player leaves the game, during the build phase or at the conclusion of the round, all of the towers they built are destroyed.  All of the mana they received, minus any spent on tower upgrades of friendly towers is split between the remaining members. 

There's more but I hate walls of text.  I also second all of the quality of life issues involving loot, maps and monster pathing. Without a way to sort inventory to get rid of junk faster, I'm not inclined to buy more bags to hold even more junk to sort.

As far as alpha's go, the game has promise and I'm enjoying playing.  I hope to see some of these issues resolved as the game matures.

Good luck and thanks for reading.

This game is absolutely amazing.

The ability to sell things everywhere, the addition of spheres for further customization, the art direction, the personalized and scaled distribution of mana per round, the elimination of the need to run around the entire map each round, the separation of mana and currency, every character is balanced and can be very useful in either hero dps or builder, the new enemy types are well-designed and require strategy to counter, the maps are beautiful and have excellent flow, specific towers are better for bends and straights, the scavenger picks up loot that falls into bottomless pits, so many things make this game a joy to play!

I cannot wait to see what comes next. Please keep up your amazing work, I will keep supporting this endeavor.

Missing my split projectiles and shockwave attacks on the apprentice

Need it more than that super slowed charge attack

MORE KNOCKBACK PLEASE

• 3 weeks later...

I started with DD2 this week together with friends after playing DD1 a lot in the past. I like it so far, but I would like to see some adjustments:

- The "tactical overview" (when pressing "Shift") should be color coded (or anything similar) by tower type. The way it is now, you just have a mess of blue lines and can't tell one thing from another.

- Please make an in-game friends list and invitation mechanism. The Steam friends list is totally basic, often annoying and no replacement for an in-game friends management with additional information/options.

You did a good job so far, the game runs smoothly even on my older laptop. No crashes or other technical problems so far.

My first impressions are mostly good in the gameplay standpoint, but the major thing I don't like is also a huge mood killer for playing the game long term.

What I do enjoy are the familiar mechanics. This is just like DD1 with new maps, better graphics and a more realized art aesthetic. The auto looting "useful" items is nice as well. Everything inside of the actual maps and gameplay is great. There's only the one major hiccup for me as a returning player and that would be the "Social" Tavern; don't like it. Zoning into people spamming auto attacks at each other, arguing in chat and hearing cannonballs going off while I'm trying to sort through my bags is not an enjoyable experience. Where's the private tavern? I just want to empty my bags, compare some gear and move on to the next map, not be given a headache by the 20 other people trying to make as much noise as humanly possible.  

Another thing that needs looked into, launching the game straight into multiplayer. It took me three attempts to do the first area because the first time I lost connection in the loading screen, and the second time I was kicked from the group on the last wave. This is not the experience you want people loading into. If you're going to make an auto-queue system for the matches, the old kick system has to be rebuilt to accommodate.  While it could be abused by random afks and trolls, I would look into making new players on their first ever character being unkickable from that first map, or disable the kick feature on that map for normal story mode all together.

Never played DD1 at all, but my friend noticed DD2 was free and we gave it a shot. Overall, the game isfun and good looking. So far, I've probably logged over 50 hours in three days.  

The good: 

The game is colorful and vibrant, lending to its good looks for a "cartoonish"-styled game. The gameplay is very straightforward and defenses and abilities are quite clear in their use, assuming one can find the sparse descriptions in the character sheet. The utility pets lend is a plus, rather than being purely cosmetic. I find that maps are varied and each requires a new strategy and layout for your defenses. I also enjoy that each character has a distinct purpose in a match. I can even appreciate the detail that some defenses have synergy with each other and increase their effectiveness. However...

The bad:

One of the first flaws I noticed is how ridiculously impossible it is to lose. A friend and I played through the campaign in one night on "normal" and never lost any defenses, never died from enemies, and even beat Betsy in just a few minutes. Upon gaining access to free play, we power leveled our alts on "hard," which was also very hard to lose. There was no distinction in difficulty aside for how much I had to press the left mouse button. If the low difficulty is to make the game accessible to more casual players, please make "easy" into "casual" and revamp the higher difficulties and associated drops. 

One of the first flaws I noticed was how buggy the inventory menu is, which I've actually seen into all of the UI. The auto-collect filter on bags disappeared and changing icons and names for bags, "breaking" them. Slots would being to overlap and bags would be minimized without being able to be maximized, rendering the inventory useless sometimes until I reloaded the game. I further noticed buggy UI when I was browsing the wardrobe and accessory "flavor text" disappeared. 

Simply put, the Heroes are unbalanced. Huntress is queen of the game, hands down. My L30 Huntress lays out more damage than my L45 Apprentice with much better gear. The monk? I haven't even bothered since its DPS is just as laughable as its "support" abilities. What use does the lightning aura have over the explosive trap? Why bother with serenity if I never take damage due to the lack of difficulty? The monk is useless, outside of endgame, until they get a nice buff and are necessary for the party's survival. 

That aside, while the Heroes have distinct roles, it's also a hindrance to developing them. I've min-maxed the stats accordingly and typically have my Apprentice dump mana into barriers and Flamebursts, then use the Huntress to fire wildly into mob groupings. Had I started with the Squire, just replace the Apprentice in my tactic. The two are essentially interchangeable since their towers are similar and still pale in damage output of the Huntress. There is no reason for me to use one over the other and the defenses that differ -- frost tower and training dummy -- are just a novelty. The frost tower should shoot a projectile that freezes on critical, and has a burst effect. The training dummy should have knockback or daze on critical.

That aside, I've been leveling up to get into endgame, and the drudge is just that. After reaching L35, its just laying down defenses and holding LMB until everything dies. A major turn-off that is making it hard for me to want to keep playing. Hopefully that is addressed in the patch today (12/15).

Indifferent:

On high graphical settings, even with my higher-tier GPU, I experience framing and stutters. I don't want to know how bad it is for lesser hardware.

Haven't done much matchmaking, as soloing is very doable and I have a friend I play with. However, I hear in the Tavern that iPWR is usually unbalanced among teams.

Speaking of the Tavern, I don't particularly care for the vendors in it. Interacting with other players can be a tad annoying when one spams pings and chat, but can't be kicked. Disabling pings in the Tavern would be great, and limiting the build area for defenses and having an individual cap on defense capacity would help to prevent too much from happening on screen.

In all, while this Dungeon Defenders 2 has its flaws, this is good game. It has serious potential. I just hope that Trendy empowers and heeds its community to help it steer DD2 into being the great game I know it can be.

@Shirobon quote:

Hello everyone,

I came here through the recommendation of a friend, and wanted to see if I could jump in DD2 without playing the previous instalments.

In short, I installed the game, played it, and suddenly lost track of time. I couldn't stop playing. 

Lately, I've been having enough of bloody, gory, violent games so I was trying to find a more relaxed game. Spiral Knights has been my fix for 4 years, but I think it's time to put it aside, and make way for DD2.

I've had a really good first impression and experience, so let m lay down the positives and the negatives as a newcomer to the series:

The good:

+ Art style is nice and clean, pretty

+ Controls are very fluid and precise

+ Game is easy to grasp, even without playing previous instalments

+ UI is neat and simple, menus not oversaturated with options and buttons and whatnot

+ PC requirements are low-ish, ran this in full HD 1080p everything maxed at 115fps average

The bad:

- Hero movement speed pretty slow

- Difficulty too easy, if not non-existant

- Apprentice and Squire players can build so many defenses to block spawns, and leave them to do the work.   Heroes can just literally sit down and collect loot.

All in all, I'm impressed by this game, which is still in the alpha stage. I've played complete games which were less good and even had less to offer than what we see here. I await to see this game in the future.

Difficulty too easy ?? have you tried Gates on NM4 Inc. ?

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't really played any TD-type games before, and I know nothing of DD1. My first impression after downloading and playing with some friends was that this game was AWESOME. I just couldn't get it out of my head and I easily became addicted. I almost wished I couldn't memorize anything because the first-time experience was that great and worth reliving. :P

Anyhow, I just hope you guys keep up the good work, take the time you need to make the game great. I've heard lots of complaints about this game so far, some about the slow-pace, but it does look like some things are getting done, slowly. I honestly don't mind if it means quality ^^ (just don't take 7 years =P).

i've played the game since it first was out for pc and it sucks. it doesn't hold even one candle to its original. 

and the player count shows that i'm correct when i say that. the only time the player count has been high is when you said you revamped it and deleted all characters the first time, and when you released 10,000 free copies because you couldn't properly test it with the 100 or so players who were loyal enough to stay. and even after you did all that the player count dropped steadily back to a few hundred or low thousands. 

so all i have to say, is "I told you so"

I told the developers time and again in the forums exactly what they were doing wrong and how to fix it. mostly by saying to just give us a revamped DD1 that wasn't DDE....and to fire a bunch of people. 

also, whoever is moderator, I told you so too. thank you for deleting my first account, it freed me from this wretch game that is going to bomb worse than if a game was made in the first person mode while playing helen keller. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is short, but without separate gamepad keybindings for Jump and Activate, the game is unplayable. Jumping is required to play the game, and having to look straight up to jump for fear of activating a tower or picking up a useless item causes me to fight the controls more than I'm fighting the monsters. And I have a rule: if the controls are ever more difficult than the enemies, the game isn't worth playing.

Sorry, I know you've put a lot of work in to this game and it seems like a lot of fun, but I can't play it until you separate Jump and Activate in the keybindings, or at least give me the option to separate them.