I_PASS_BUTTER

No Shame Zone: Ask a Question Here!

Welcome Defenders!

This thread is a safe place for players new and old to ask questions and have them answered by experienced Defenders. 

Are you a new player who is having trouble telling the different kobolds apart? Are you a veteran of Nightmare, who laughs in the face of the horde, even as you are searching for that last piece of perfect gear? This thread is for you. 

Hello, new player here.  After watching the latest devstream and balance changes, pets seem to be somewhat of a large part of the game.  However, all I've seen them as is a negligible dps increase, and just a bunch of extra stats, same as any other piece of gear.  Cute as they may be, and collecting could be fun, is there something I'm missing here?

Disclaimer:  I have only evolved one pet (just found out about having to rot eggs to get the materials needed), its ability doesn't even work. and I didn't even notice any stat increases.

What is the progression plan for reaching level 50? I just got there last night (started this weekend) and it seems poorly designed as difficulty scales compared to gear. I was basically never challenged and don't think I upgraded a single piece of gear after level 38 as Free Play Hard was the highest difficulty available. It ended up being very repetitive with very little challenge, which can lead to boredom. I'm excited to have higher difficulties unlocked now so I have to do more than throw mage towers down each lane, upgrade once, and afk.

What thoughts do you guys have on this? Tips to alleviate the monotony/boredom/ease (especially when the time comes to level a second character)?

@Suzaku4489 quote:

Hello, new player here.  After watching the latest devstream and balance changes, pets seem to be somewhat of a large part of the game.  However, all I've seen them as is a negligible dps increase, and just a bunch of extra stats, same as any other piece of gear.  Cute as they may be, and collecting could be fun, is there something I'm missing here?

Disclaimer:  I have only evolved one pet (just found out about having to rot eggs to get the materials needed), its ability doesn't even work. and I didn't even notice any stat increases.

Pet dps scales with hero damage, so they aren't going to do a lot in terms of dps on a builder character.  They also can have useful abilities.  See this thread for a discussion of some of those abilities: https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/124638/compendium-of-pet-abilities?scrollTo=1161757[[7288,hashtags]]

@meem quote:

What is the progression plan for reaching level 50? I just got there last night (started this weekend) and it seems poorly designed as difficulty scales compared to gear. I was basically never challenged and don't think I upgraded a single piece of gear after level 38 as Free Play Hard was the highest difficulty available. It ended up being very repetitive with very little challenge, which can lead to boredom. I'm excited to have higher difficulties unlocked now so I have to do more than throw mage towers down each lane, upgrade once, and afk.

What thoughts do you guys have on this? Tips to alleviate the monotony/boredom/ease (especially when the time comes to level a second character)?

At this time grinding throne room hard FP is the best EXP.  Make sure you have both EXP spheres and just grunt on to 50. alts are easier as you get an EXP bonus for each 50 in your hero deck.  When combined with the daily bonuses you can level to 50 in a few hours.  

I do agree it gets boring having to grind the same map over and over.  The best way around it is see if a leveling group is forming and talk to them while you play.  It takes a huge amount of the tedium out of the grind.  

@Suzaku4489 quote:

damage increases with power level (though compared to hero and tower dps, its negligible)

empowerment stats increase with affection level

what ability did you roll? most (if not all) scale with hero damage, so non dps heroes wont get as much use out of pet abilities

theres a few to look out for... imo

as a ranged dps: gato fireworks (highest recorded single target dps) or lil betsy projectile (third highest single target with curse -damage reduction- utility) 

as a tank/waller 'fight me not' squire: curse aura

as a builder: anything with utility, so something that curses to reduce enemy damage, something with fire damage to ignite oiled enemies, something to slow enemy movement, something to protect towers etc, just not a simple damage ability (although if you dont plan to have them out in combat, just go for whatever suits your hero best)

theres a lot of 'trash' abilities that arent worth using unless you have nothing better though

@Grim indeed quote:

@Suzaku4489 quote:

damage increases with power level (though compared to hero and tower dps, its negligible)

empowerment stats increase with affection level

what ability did you roll? most (if not all) scale with hero damage, so non dps heroes wont get as much use out of pet abilities

theres a few to look out for... imo

as a ranged dps: gato fireworks (highest recorded single target dps) or lil betsy projectile (third highest single target with curse -damage reduction- utility) 

as a tank/waller 'fight me not' squire: curse aura

as a builder: anything with utility, so something that curses to reduce enemy damage, something with fire damage to ignite oiled enemies, something to slow enemy movement, something to protect towers etc, just not a simple damage ability (although if you dont plan to have them out in combat, just go for whatever suits your hero best)

theres a lot of 'trash' abilities that arent worth using unless you have nothing better though

I have a legendary Jaderagon with Fire Breath.  Turns out it does deal damage;  it just doesn't work on target dummies.

Thank you, and Zuqual, for the information.  Maybe once I feed it and level up its affection more, it will be more noticeable.

Does the difficulty of the map determine how good a hatched pet is?  

Like, if I hatch a pet from an egg I found in nightmare 1 be better than an egg that I found in easy?

@lonestar101x quote:

Does the difficulty of the map determine how good a hatched pet is?  

Like, if I hatch a pet from an egg I found in nightmare 1 be better than an egg that I found in easy?

No all eggs are the same. Only way to increase a pets stats is to increase it's affection & power along with evolving it.

@salzaran quote:

So, somehow i lost track on the spawn door icons. Is there a sheet which shows what mobtype is what icon? :D

Thank you

Here is a link to the wiki page about this :)

Orange = Physical Resist Lane (Use Magic Against)

Purple = Magic Resist Lane (Use Phy Dmg Against)

To anyone new to DD2, feel free to add me in Steam or message me any questions you have or if you need help in game!

What is all the lingo I need to know for this game? (short terms such as DP which I know is defense power)

What are the best ways to farm things like gold/gear?

What is the best stat progression for each class? (both tower and hero)

What is the end game gear for which I should be looking? Are there sets for which I should keep on out out?

@SwiftStylus quote:

What is all the lingo I need to know for this game? (short terms such as DP which I know is defense power)

What is the end game gear for which I should be looking? Are there sets for which I should keep on out out?

Hey, first off welcome :)

I'll answer your last question first!

End game gear really depends on your hero and what build you want for your hero.

As an example, if you are building a Waller Squire (A Squire who specializes in building walls) then you would want to focus on Defense Health and Hero Health gear. You would also want gear with the passive Hearty Blockade, which gives an HP bonus to your Defenses based on a % of your Hero Health.

Some good to know abbreviations are:

• SAS = Skill Allocation System
  • HH = Hero Health
  • DH = Defense Health
  • DP = Defense Power
  • HD = Hero Damage
  • AP = Ability Power
  • DS = Defense Speed

Other abbreviations:

• LR = Life Root (a map)
  • TR = Throne Room (a map)
  • LHV = Little Horn Valley (a map)
  • Gates = Gates of Dragonfall (a map)
  • NM = Nightmare (the endgame levels 1-4)
  • Crossroads or Xroads = Forest Crossroads (a map)
  • Betsy = Nickname for last map 

(We're going to play Betsy NM1 = We are going to play The Wyvern Den map on Nightmare 1 difficulty)

Hero Stat Progression

There are a couple possible builds for each hero, so it is really dependent on your play style.

@chesticles quote:

@SwiftStylus quote:

Hey, first off welcome :)

I'll answer your last question first!

End game gear really depends on your hero and what build you want for your hero.

As an example, if you are building a Waller Squire (A Squire who specializes in building walls) then you would want to focus on Defense Health and Hero Health gear. You would also want gear with the passive Hearty Blockade, which gives an HP bonus to your Defenses based on a % of your Hero Health.

Some good to know abbreviations are:

• SAS = Skill Allocation System
  • HH = Hero Health
  • DH = Defense Health
  • DP = Defense Power
  • HD = Hero Damage
  • AP = Ability Power
  • DS = Defense Speed

Other abbreviations:

• LR = Life Root (a map)
  • TR = Throne Room (a map)
  • LHV = Little Horn Valley (a map)
  • Gates = Gates of Dragonfall (a map)
  • NM = Nightmare (the endgame levels 1-4)
  • Crossroads or Xroads = Forest Crossroads (a map)
  • Betsy = Nickname for last map 

(We're going to play Betsy NM1 = We are going to play The Wyvern Den map on Nightmare 1 difficulty)

Hero Stat Progression

There are a couple possible builds for each hero, so it is really dependent on your play style.

Thanks, any tips for tower dps based Apprentice?

@lonestar101x quote:

What defines a special enemy? Are they just the bosses on waves 3 5 and 7?

There are the Support, Special and "Normal" enemies.

Normal enemies are Red dots on the minimap

Support enemies are White dots on the minimap

Special Enemies will have an icon depending on what they are (Large Skeletons, etc)

Here's the wiki link on enemies.

@SwiftStylus quote:

Thanks, any tips for tower dps based Apprentice?

Defense Power

Defense Speed

Tower Range

would be a good place to start :D

@chesticles quote:

@salzaran quote:

So, somehow i lost track on the spawn door icons. Is there a sheet which shows what mobtype is what icon? :D

Thank you

Blue = Physical Resist Lane (Use Magic Against)

To anyone new to DD2, feel free to add me in Steam or message me any questions you have or if you need help in game!

im almost positive that the phys resist icon is yellow, either im crazy or that wiki page is out of date

@chesticles quote:

Special Enemies will have an icon depending on what they are (Skeleton, Ogre, etc)

again, not positive, but i dont think ogres count as special enemies for either dailies/monthlies or the special delivery achievement

@Grim indeed quote:

im almost positive that the phys resist icon is yellow, either im crazy or that wiki page is out of date

You are 100% correct. Physical resist lanes are yellow, however they used to be blue. The wiki page is not up to date.

again, not positive, but i dont think ogres count as special enemies for either dailies/monthlies or the special delivery achievement

Again, spot on. Ogres are minibosses, not special enemies.

If it's not an ogre or betsy (Betsy is a boss) and it has the large health bar at the top, it is a special enemy.

Grim Indeed (couldn't link your name sorry) and gigazelle: Thanks for the clarification. I updated my post about the Ogres. I thought they were classified as minibosses but I thought that also fell under special enemies.

In regards to the Resist lanes: Yes, the wiki might need some updating, I agree. I know that the lane line Phy is orange and Mag is purple, But isn't the door icon Blue for Phys and Purple for Mag? 

Anyway, thanks for the clarifications :)

@chesticles quote:

@salzaran quote:

Thank you

Blue = Physical Resist Lane (Use Magic Against)

Blue?!?!? I thought physical was orange, or are my panel settings way off?!

New to DD2 here. I actually have three questions! (Questions in bold because I type A LOT.)

First, is pet rarity/quality correlated to a Pet's strength? I've burned all of my rerolls on trying to figure this out and the answer seems to be "no." But, I'm unable to evolve any pets to see if the scaling for evolution is different depending on rarity yet. I've seen a lot of posts that hint that there is a power difference, and complain about cash shop pets getting a lower-than-legendary rarity.

My second question is about Kobolds! Currently my boyfriend and I are trying to level, we're only level 37. He is a tower Squire and I am a DPS Huntress. Our current tower strategy boils down to some weak Blaze Ballons and Squire stuff. Because of this when we try Onslaught mode we have a LOT of trouble with Kobolds. So, would adding a trap Huntress, or a tower Apprentice, or both fix our Kobold problems?

Finally, where did this skin come from?! http://tinypic.com/r/259y1e9/8 I can't find it at the Seamstress!

@yasuamaya@yahoo.com quote:

New to DD2 here. I actually have three questions! (Questions in bold because I type A LOT.)

First, is pet rarity/quality correlated to a Pet's strength? I've burned all of my rerolls on trying to figure this out and the answer seems to be "no." But, I'm unable to evolve any pets to see if the scaling for evolution is different depending on rarity yet. I've seen a lot of posts that hint that there is a power difference, and complain about cash shop pets getting a lower-than-legendary rarity.

My second question is about Kobolds! Currently my boyfriend and I are trying to level, we're only level 37. He is a tower Squire and I am a DPS Huntress. Our current tower strategy boils down to some weak Blaze Ballons and Squire stuff. Because of this when we try Onslaught mode we have a LOT of trouble with Kobolds. So, would adding a trap Huntress, or a tower Apprentice, or both fix our Kobold problems?

Finally, where did this skin come from?! http://tinypic.com/r/259y1e9/8 I can't find it at the Seamstress!

Having both a squire and huntress means magic damage will be harder to come by. An apprentice does magic damage and has frostbite towers which SLOW enemies down. Also that skin is from the wipeageddon update which was the first and last complete wipe.

@A_Very_Grumpy_Cat quote:

Having both a squire and huntress means magic damage will be harder to come by. An apprentice does magic damage and has frostbite towers which SLOW enemies down. Also that skin is from the wipeageddon update which was the first and last complete wipe.

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into leveling up a tower Apprentice to deal with the Kobolds!

@yasuamaya@yahoo.com quote:

there could easily be some factors im not aware of, but my powerful evilwick has lower damage bounds than my epic evilwick of exactly the same power level

@chesticles quote:

I know that the lane line Phy is orange and Mag is purple, But isn't the door icon Blue for Phys and Purple for Mag? 

The door icon was changed from blue to yellow during the alpha and beyond update.