unable to open the chat input

Alright, so I've gone through just about everything aside from reinstalling the game in an effort since the most recent patch (october 12th, 2015) to figure out why I am unable to type anything. 

Strangely enough, just to humor myself, I tried opening the console, typing something random, and pressing enter. It worked. 

I've checked my keyboard's driver bindings, I've checked my peripheral settings, I've checked the in-game control settings (still set to 'enter' to open chat). I did a 'verify file integrity' within steam. But nothing seems to resolve why I can't open a chat input box so i may communicate with others. Fortunately if I play with friends I can just open steam overlay and type messages there, but if I join random rooms? I can't even say hello, much less communicate. 

Am I just crazy and  completely overlooked something? Or is this potentially an actual issue people are having? 

Same issue, can't open chat normally, rebinding it doesn't help either. for now if you want to communicate the console command is:  say

eg: say hello

@Sublimital quote:

Same issue, can't open chat normally, rebinding it doesn't help either. for now if you want to communicate the console command is:  say

eg: say hello

Thanks for the heads up regarding the console command. I wasn't sure what any of them were, so I never tried. But this will definitely help till this issue is resolved. I take it not everyone is experiencing it, as all my friends have said they are able to type normally. :( 

You dont need the console command.

Just press '#' that will open the chat window (but with a # at the beginning just delete that then)