PS4 Controller Scheme Suggestions

Do you have any suggestions for controller scheme suggestions? Post them here!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When using a controller, the UI should look like what it does on PS4.

Easier controlling of the controller, because I'm still using my mouse in the forge.

Can you return it to DD1 controls by having square to pick up an item . I rather have the chance of using an ability then jumping around like an idiot when trying to loot.

Either way the jump button should never be the loot button. That really needs to be fixed.

Also can you look into giving me a sensitivity option for aiming. So I can adjust the speed of the right analogue accordingly.

1. Sometimes it can be hard to precisely place towers exactly where you want with the right analog stick, maybe you can gently swipe around the touchpad to place them exactly where you want.

2. I can't count how many times I've mana bombed during the build phase. Pressing the circle button to cancel what you are building sometimes doesn't seem like it worked then you press it again, and boom, mana bomb in your face.

3. Less steps to repair. A) during combat: should only be an arrow key B) during build phase: should be able to repair a small area all at once if desired.

4. X should only jump during combat. Maybe you can pick up loot by firing your weapon at it or something during combat (obviously enableable/disableable). Build phase X can pick up all the loot it wants.

PLEASE add a Push to Talk button so we can actually communicate effectively!  And absolutely move the loot button off the jump button.. Or at the very least let us remap buttons.

Please remap the loot function from cross to square like it was in dd1 so cross is only jump.

I know sqare is currently used for an ability but i have an idea how to solve that problem:

Do it like in the game 'Knack'. There are also 3 abilities but you activate them with circle-square, circle-triangle and circle-circle.

It is by far not that complicated to play with these controls as it may sound, and you could use the "square" for all actions so "cross" is only jumping, AND you still could put some other functions to the "triangle" button!!

This may be a little late but nevertheless its interesting, i am currently trying to figure out an accessible way to use touch pad control for this game. I have an idea just from previous games but dont want to simply go with what ive already used unless otherwise necessary, now at the moment i am currently wondering how sensitive, accurate, and how diverse the touch pad commands can be. My first idea was to simply draw towers but i figured that might get tedious quickly especially with a larger amount of towers, characters, also how to draw unique towers would also be a challenge. Ive now considered a less stressful scheme for example. "tower 1= L shape starting at bottom" "tower 2= > shape starting from the upper left" also to add from another game is using the touch pad click as 3 extra buttons, ie. Left click, Right click, Lower Middle click, which i think would be perfect for defense sell, defense repair, defense upgrade (same order as clicks). Another neat idea is having the touch pad act as the camera when placing a tower.  My goal with the touch pad here is to have a wheel similar to DD1 all the while taking DD2 to another level just as everyone who enjoys this game would want. Although adding a wheel would be more simple i am a bit upset not as many games have more touch pad support and it would be cool to see more try it, also i just really like Dungeon Defenders lol.

To be honest I have 3 different touch pad schemes, drawing towers (most stylish), shape placement, and putting your finger down on touch pad (not clicking) to unveil a wheel then swipe to what you want. All 3 can use the clicking as your defense sell, repair, and upgrade for more button controls on PS4. Then you can put drop mana where those would be and add a third to select how much mana of which you want to drop (open a small box, R1 can be 5 & R2 10 or 50 and vice versa of what you are currently selected on). Then on d-pad you can have a quick button to Defenders forge, and a button for a text chat window.

Right now I like the way the controller layout is, the only thing I would add to it is when you press L2+R2 at the same time it would pick up all the items around you.

My only hope is that you have the option to leave the layout as it currently is I like it the way it is perhaps this can be the "default"layout with other layouts available.

Some people here really have some good ideas. The most critical change you HAVE to do in my honest opinion though, is pick up loot with SQUARE instead of CROSS. This is something I noticed during the first minute I played, when I wanted to talk to the guy in front of the War Table :P

Thanks in advance!

A fix I would suggest is to have the command to do something like repairing a tower or similar be confirmed by pressing the same button again, with cancel being to take your finger off L1/R1, since it does seem odd that you need to effectively quit out of the menu every time.

Yeah that X button is really misplaced. Sensivity option is a MUST. Once you get the feel you will want to turn around as fast as you can. Can't really think of anything else. Don't really think the touchpad would be a great improvement for better controls. 

1. The ability to re-map things like repair, upgrade, sell tower etc. on the d-pad! 

2. The controls of placing towers like DD1, so when you place a tower you don't have to HOLD the X button to rotate, you can tap it without accidentally placing it (so annoying!). 

3. When rotating defences, rotating them with the direction of the left stick like the way it was on DD1 rather than having to hold left or right accordingly. The DD1 way was much more fluent and quicker!

4. Absolutely love the idea of the bottom left of screen controls (holding L1/R1 for different controls), so please can we move towers with the left stick so my right thumb isn't having to rush back and forth from the buttons and RS when placing multiple towers whilst my left hand does nothing!

And finally...

5. I really hope you take this on board and at least consider it as this game is truly incredible with only these minor things really bugging me atm! Love you guys at TE! :D

Well i guess i should have figured everyone who experienced the server drop would just want an extension of DD1 that they were refused online and still upset over it. I get it that moment was depressing but now look on the bright side we can play DD2. If the ps3 version would have stayed online i dont think we would have DD2 now so its a trade off im ok with. So if it pleases the masses here's a similar to DD1 layout i came up with excluding the wheel-

Cross= jump

Square= pickup & equip

Circle= place waypoint & hold for targeting self (with the infamous O-A!)

Triangle= quick forge or ready up 

All D-pad buttons fully customizable and holding R1/L1 gives 4 new options each

Also adding a hold L1 & R1 to bring up the text chat window (side note having an option to have it disappear quickly would be nice) along with having adding the 4 buttons for a quick chat. Ie. Circle= ask a person for tower (let you select who and only they will see it) and or for them to put it where you are waypointing. Square= ask for extra mana. Triangle= ask someone if they like to party up (again select who). Cross is simply write a message 

Triggers= same function

Well that about sums it all up, yeah its not exactly the same but this is DD2 so theres always room for a little improvement :) also this can still work with my previous touch pad setup so there is layers of controls and its not super complicated. 

1. D-Pad for building, repairing and upgrading.

2. X for jump

3. Square for loot

4. Triangle and Circle for abilities

5. Left trigger for charged attack

6. Right trigger for regular attack

7. Touch pad swiping and analog stick for placing defences.

8. Touch pad press down button right side for inventory.

9. Touch pad press down button left side for pet interface.

10. Options button for menu and character sheet.

11. Right bumper for voice

12. Left bumper for pet abilities

It would be amazing to be able to use the right analog to look while fighting. If I'm swinging a sword and try to look around me the right analog doesn't turn the camera during combat. A zoom so you could zoom away from your character would be amazing as well.

@iamisom quote:

Do you have any suggestions for controller scheme suggestions? Post them here!

Please change nothing other than the loot button.. there's a saying I tell myself a lot when doing anything..

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" 

The controls for DD1 on the ps3 were just...  Naturally perfect. 

If you wanted to mix it up a little, mix it up with the touch pad as in an alternative to buttons.. please change nothing other than loot button in my eyes (n.b. I miss the option to pick up / equip also)

Just my 2 pence.. 

Or just leave it open to the player to map the buttons as they see fit. Easiest way to keep all players happy, right?