Trouble with split screen PS4

Having trouble with split screen on the PS4 console. Was going to play with a friend of mine yesterday and went into social tavern to try to find out on my own how to enable split screen. Was easier said than done.

I googled a few minutes and came across a youtube video saying i could be in either social or private tavern and have my 2nd controller on and simply press the big button in the middle (the ready button). Nothing happened.

I googled a bit more and found a post here in the forum saying: "Go to the War Recruiter and hit the triangle button to select private tavern. Once inside the private tavern have your second player hit the touch pad on the controller. This will give you the option to go split screen. Also, sometimes it doesn't work if the host is not on a low level character for some reason."
I tried to join via private tavern but still no luck. Then i thought it had to be my level that was too low (which was currently lvl 4). So i leveled up abit, now my "main" is lvl 15 but still can't get split screen to work.

Any suggestions?

The second player needs to have an active character on a different ps profile. You can not splitscreen on 1 account leveling for example 2 of your own characters.

In order to enable Split Screen, first turn on the second Dual Shock 4 controller and log in to the second PSN account with it (an actual account, not a Guest account). Then press the Touchpad on the second controller while in Tavern. A confirmation prompt will appear asking whether you want to allow the second player to join the game. Choose yes using the first controller and voila!

@Djmilos quote:

The second player needs to have an active character on a different ps profile. You can not splitscreen on 1 account leveling for example 2 of your own characters.

Does that mean that you need to purchase the game on 2 accounts? My second account won't let me open the game without buying a license.

No, you don't, I play split screen with my fiancee and we only purchased the game once.

Think I had to create to my gf's character under her profile first. So turn on a second controller, hit the PS button and open the game under that second profile. Create a character and then quit the game. Now hit the PS button to go back to your main profile. Start up the game on your main account and now when you tap the touchpad when you're in the tavern on the second controller, things should go smoother.

@Marshara quote:

Does that mean that you need to purchase the game on 2 accounts? My second account won't let me open the game without buying a license.

What do you mean, "purchase"?  It's free.   Do you mean buy into the pre-alpha?  Two different things.

Buy and purchase are kinda interchangeable, so "purchasing the game" fits well.

@Support Monk quote:

In order to enable Split Screen, first turn on the second Dual Shock 4 controller and log in to the second PSN account with it (an actual account, not a Guest account). Then press the Touchpad on the second controller while in Tavern. A confirmation prompt will appear asking whether you want to allow the second player to join the game. Choose yes using the first controller and voila!

This is false because 9/10 times it will always say there is an error to connect. Then when following this step again it leaves me half a screen trying to load the second player in for 2 hours. Following the Private Lobby route is the only way to load in guaranteed. Lastly when you queue for a game as split screen it still places you in games where there are already 3 players which the game prompts you to stay together or bail on the split screen choosing either boots the split screen. Leaving the game makes you lose player points. RIP no way out.