Sign in to follow this  
OPT1C_R34PER

Update Frequency

Console game updates must go through the notorious and widely-hated certification process by Microsoft/Sony. An update gets submitted to a team, and they must inspect and test it to ensure that everything is working smoothly (for example, they must make sure nothing in the update will brick the system, or open holes in the security of the network/game).

While the console version is slated to follow in the footsteps of the PC version, we will always be a few updates behind due to the time it takes to certify a patch. Or so the developers say.

In reality, certification for a patch takes a week at worst, so I'm not sure why we'll be multiple updates behind at all times unless we're already so far behind that there's no way for them to program it quickly enough (which I suspect is the issue, and it's an understandable issue to be fair).

[[50866,users]] you're in the ballpark on this issue.  I've posted a little bit about our goals in terms of updates for this game here:

https://dungeondefenders.com/2/topic/125560/patching-question?scrollTo=1168520[[6859,hashtags]]

With regard to certification, you are right that we're generally looking at vastly improved turn-around times from Sony FQA  that are under a week these days. During the fall, however, you need to book your slot for certification roughly 2-3 weeks in advance because of the volume of content that is moving through the system before the holiday season.  So that puts you at 3-4 weeks minimum between patches just to get them out the door.  If you're releasing a big content patch that you want people to know about you have to add another one to three weeks to that timeline to get into the store and marketing pipelines.  So at minimum, if everything goes perfectly and there are no hiccups in development you're looking at at least a 3 week turn-around on any non-emergency hotfix and anywhere from 4 to 7 weeks for major content updates.  Since all PS4 developers are basically sharing one set of distribution and marketing pipeline there's just time associated with getting content to users when everyone wants to get something out simultaneously regardless of the army of Sony employee's that are working hard to make that happen as fast as possible.   

Thank you Timmy, that greatly clears up an aspect of the certification process that I never even took into account! Makes a lot of sense now that I think about it. My faith is in your team to deliver us the same quality onto PS4 that we've come to expect on the PC, and I know I'm certainly willing to wait the extra weeks for it to happen as long as it means proper builds for us. Keep up the amazing work!

yep thanks for the clarification here.  little more in depth from my original post.  Just excited to play on console as well as on pc.  Wish sony was as easy to get content out as pc but keeping fingers crossed we don't fall too far behind.  Guess some of us just weren't expecting to be at Wipeageddon when so many great things have come since then.  Thanks for the post!

@IGELmitDEAGLE quote:

Is the certification process free? I think I remember hearing that it is actually somewhat expensive for  small studios to push out frequent patches. 

What you may be remembering is the Xbox debacle a couple years back in which it was revealed that patching a game on the Xbox 360 cost $40,000 every time. They dropped this pretty quickly after the public found out. As far as I know, Sony's process has always been free.