Sign in to follow this  
AndrewD

PvP multiplayer in Dungeon Defenders II?

I've been playing was a huge fan of Dungeon Defenders 1 and recently started playing 2, and it never occurred to me in the first game but playing 2, the whole social tavern and the general look and feel of the game really makes we wish there was some competitive play in there as well as the co op campaign levels. The core gameplay is pretty much the same as DD1 which I love but the graphics revamp and the slight speed change of DD2 makes me think a PvP mode would work incredible well and I'd love to see something like that added

I personally would love to see a moba style idea in DD2, the whole concept of a core to defend being PvE would fit perfectly into a multiplayer, just imagine like a symmetrical map with a core at each side, and instead of a premade set up of towers/forts like most mobas your team has a set amount of defense units they can use to set up towers on their side of the map how they think it will work best (obviously would need some balancing with defense unit and power of them etc but not impossible) You could have the PvE monsters acting as minions easily enough, maybe some system like heroes where you take camps or do objectives to get stronger units helping you and all players start at level 1 and unlock new abilities as you level up per game like you do through campaign anyway but obviously the leveling being sped up and starting from level 1 each game to balance well. 

I think something like that (probably not exactly that as I'm no game designer and I'm sure there would be some complications with everything I said, but something along that concept) Would work brilliantly into Dungeon Defenders core gameplay, and up the replayability of it loads as well as bringing in a lot of new players who might not be interested in the PvE campaign but love competitive play.

All I could think when playing recently was just how well a strategic arena PvP game would work and how insanely fun it would be and I honestly think I could put hundreds of hours into just a mode like that alone. I'd love to hear what some others thought about the idea and whether or not it's something that could ever possibly be added to the final game?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the MOBA style game you are thinking of is what DD2 was originally going to be before the idea got scrapped and Trendy moved back to classic Action Tower Defense genre.

However you are not alone with your desire for PvP and competition. I would love to have some PvP however I am unsure on how it would be implemented  and also leaderboards based on some type of scoring system perhaps building on from DD1. 

We don't have anything concrete yet but Trendy know that there are parts of their community that desire PvP. If you've got any other ideas that don't include a MOBA style (Perhaps mini moba?) then make sure you post them here on the forums.

I've seen about how it was originally planned to be moba but they decided to make it a true sequel, is there any chance they could add a moba aspect to it on release or did they 100% say there's no chance of a moba at all when making the decision to change to a true DD sequel? It seems to me like unless they've stated otherwise they could still have some chance if they were planning on? 

I'm not sure how other PvP could work to the same effect, in my opinion the gameplay and whole Dungeon Defenders ideas is set up perfectly for a moba style game and I personally would LOVE to be able to play it as one. I know it's likely not to happen unless there's some kind of huge desire voiced by the fans for it but for now I guess I can hope!

I hope that the idea comes back as a future addition to the game! I imagine setting up your own Moba defense in Dungeon Defenders game play would be an absolute blast!  I really hope Trendy haven't put the idea down for good

I can see a combination of MOBA and tower defense, but DD as a pure MOBA game ... hope it never happens.

I dont' want to see the game replaced with a MOBA, but I'd love it as an addition gamemode for some PvP play. The co op campaign is insanely fun and I'd never want that removing but some kind of tower defense style moba arena PvP would be insanely fun imo

why does everyone say it would be hard to balance?

just make it 2 v 2 or 4 v 4 an donly allow mirror matches.

there two perfectly balanced teams with exactly the same conditions and capabilities.

now it's all just up to whos the better player.

It's a great short term solution until time and recourses are there to improve the game even more

My huntress auto-fires for 15k a shot, and a full sticky bomb stack is over 250k...

Not sure how that balances when a tanky HP pool is 15k.

I guess if damage output was reduced to about 1% of what it currently is for pvp... that might work.

You'd have to make it so that all heroes entering the PvP had the same levels and could choose between the same stats to play to their style. With the MOBA idea you'd probably just all start at level 1 and each game and level up as the game goes on to get stronger and get the new skills.

tonyb is right though with the damage, many turrets or hero attack could kill a hero in just a couple of shots so you'd have to balance PvP attack and defense to stop 1 shot kills happening every time you see an enemy. 

If they add PvP it will be more like diablo 3, not like Dota 2. meaning the game isn't and won't be balanced at all for it.

They have too much to work on currently. A glance at the patch notes will show they are working on maps and a new mode or something.

PvP was added to dungeon defenders over a year after its release. They probably have a lot of cut content pertaining to PvP, but its so unfinished I doubt it will be used for a long time. I would estimate DD2's pvp content will be added in late 2016 at earliest.

I hope they don't bring back the moba part it sucked. I was in that beta for DD2 before they scraped it. The last thing I want to see in this game is pvp or moba return.

PVP in some form is a must for this game. My idea is "cheap" as it requires only small adjustments to code. Set up tournaments for teams to enter. Then set up onslaughts that run at the same time getting harder and harder until impossible, the winning team is the one surviving most waves. Then set up a leaderboard in tavern and let the winners have special costumes. Voila we have "PVP"

There was plans for a moba like Lavamancer etc was from it.

However it was planned as Moba and a sequel but they scrapped the whole moba part and just went for the TD sequel

But there are still remains of the MOBA part and thats some of the new heros whos bein added to the game

DD1 had some cool ideas for PvP, and honestly it's not impossible to work it into DD2, especially with a new engine.

While a MOBA style game is out of the question, I'd love to see some sort of "we choose the mobs we summon against each other, things get progressively more difficult until someone loses" kinda PvP. Also, traditional PvP would also be a neat addition.

A pvp map idea was pitched during the influence week they had like a year ago, but it wasn't among the things th a trecieved the top votes (much to my dismay).

Having said that, if trendy were ever to approach a member of the community, there might be someone who knows a thing or two about this sort of thing *Coughs really hard*. Just saying. >:D

@JD_0706 quote:

PVP in some form is a must for this game. My idea is "cheap" as it requires only small adjustments to code. Set up tournaments for teams to enter. Then set up onslaughts that run at the same time getting harder and harder until impossible, the winning team is the one surviving most waves. Then set up a leaderboard in tavern and let the winners have special costumes. Voila we have "PVP"

that is good too. but don't you want to gut a monk with your squire? :-)